• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

VU2014

Not MVC related but a CBB writer wrote a possible hypothetical realignment scenario: The Patriot Plus League. He did other league realignments as well.

Check out the schools/explanation:
School   Former Conference
Lafayette   Patriot League
Bryant   NEC
Valparaiso   Horizon League
Colgate   Patriot League
Boston U.   Patriot League
Fairfield   MAAC
Lehigh   Patriot League
Quinnipiac   MAAC
Drake   Missouri Valley
Loyola (MD)   Patriot League
Marist   MAAC
Manhattan   MAAC
Northeastern   Colonial
Holy Cross   Patriot League

https://twitter.com/nybuckets/status/861928914108637184

elephtheria47

I realize last night was  more procedural, just kind of tossing a hypothetical out there... We all heard about public/private, what happens if each side vetoed the other side? We have a filibuster!

wh

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 09, 2017, 08:24:38 AM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on May 09, 2017, 07:58:39 AM
What happens if they can't get a 7/9 vote for any of the proposed teams? Back to drawing board? Take a break and come back another time for a revote?

Generally those issues are resolved long before any formal vote takes place. Things like last night are typically a procedural rubber stamp.

Agreed. Good CEO's have the votes counted and committed prior to the meeting. If not, the meeting is postponed or changed to a "working session."  Also, anything short of a 100% favorable vote would be a PR disaster for a rollout of something this big. Rest assured, 9 universities and AD's will be publicly singing the praises of the new addition(s).

FWalum

This interminable waiting is driving me nuts.  I would have thought we would have heard something late last night or after 8 CDT this morning. I am surprised that this cone of silence has held up in this day and age.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Wouldn't a sure clue, for at least a MuSU invite, be their public meeting rules.  Because they are a public B of R, they must post their meeting for 24 hours prior to publicly meeting.  And so far no one has posted info about such a meeting.  I would have thought that such a meeting notice would have been posted by now since the meeting ended last night.

All this is really getting complicated.  Especially in light of the fact that, in order to be considered, the 4 schools had to previously commit to joining the MVC if asked.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

UNIFTW

Nothing against you guys - and I'd say the same thing on the MUSU forum - a one team invite is a complete disaster.

VU2014

If Murray State isn't moving to the Valley that would seem like Valpo would likely get the invite!!

M

sounds like exciting news is about to break for Valpo!  Excited to join the MVC, a little disappointed it appears to be only Valpo going. 

VULB#62

Agree about both points.   Also sympathize with UNIFTW's assessment of the result.

NativeCheesehead

I'm actually excited it may be only us. There's a lot of rumors of Texas and Oklahoma looking to once and for all break up the B12 in the coming couple of years. That will create a ripple effect all the way down. By keeping at least one if not two spots open, MVC may snag a team they would otherwise not have a chance at. And it's hard to believe that Murray wouldn't accept the invite in a couple of years given how ardently the AD campaigned for it.

RacerJoeD

Just wanted to say congrats to you guys and your program. It is a well deserved honor that has been a long time coming. I know you guys are going to surprise a lot of the Valley starting day one. Just remember, if the question of 12 comes up, I hope you guys wrangle your president into a corner and bend his ear about the Racers.

FWalum

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 09, 2017, 09:01:47 AM
Nothing against you guys - and I'd say the same thing on the MUSU forum - a one team invite is a complete disaster.
Nothing against you guys (MVC), but I completely agree. I think it is "good" move for us, but it could have been a GREAT one if at least Murray had come along.  I don't understand why the presidents didn't come to the same conclusion.  Do they live in a vacuum? I thought most of the arguments for adding more than one school made complete sense.

FWalum

Quote from: RacerJoeD on May 09, 2017, 09:26:46 AM
Just wanted to say congrats to you guys and your program. It is a well deserved honor that has been a long time coming. I know you guys are going to surprise a lot of the Valley starting day one. Just remember, if the question of 12 comes up, I hope you guys wrangle your president into a corner and bend his ear about the Racers.
Was really excited about the possibility of both of us going to the MVC, now not so much with just the single invite.  Hope this is just a short term situation. 

VULB#62

Quote from: RacerJoeD on May 09, 2017, 09:26:46 AM

I'm sad that the MVC presidents didn't include you guys.  We went though this circus 4 years ago and lost out.  It seems like this is a similar thing.  Almost feels like once denied, you become the next frontrunner.  Hopefully for Racer fans the next move is within a year or two.

Dave_2010

Single invite strikes me as a reactionary response to needing a 10th member as opposed to a plan to grow the league post-Creighton/Wichita.

Much like when the HL added Oakland a few years back, Valpo was the obvious choice to get back to 10. A solid choice that probably won't move the needle much.

I was hoping the league would go to 12, but it's final two choices were underwhelming.

Ideally, they have big plans for summer 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

The Valley announcement says that we got the invitation but no further announcement "pending negotiation of terms"  Huh?? ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

That is pretty blunt. This is what I don't understand, don't these people understand the domino effect?? Who is to say that Murray will be available.... who does the HL go after... the MVC could have led the pack, instead they took a step backward by inviting only one team that can not at this time fill WSU's shoes.

UNIFTW

Quote from: FWalum on May 09, 2017, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: UNIFTW on May 09, 2017, 09:01:47 AM
Nothing against you guys (MVC), but I completely agree. I think it is "good" move for us, but it could have been a GREAT one if at least Murray had come along.  I don't understand why the presidents didn't come to the same conclusion.  Do they live in a vacuum? I thought most of the arguments for adding more than one school made complete sense.
You'll learn fast enough how fractured this league is.

Go look at the reaction, especially by UNI fans, to this news. Go read MVCFans. This league is broken. Hate to do it to you guys, but this league has no vision and that was confirmed today. The presidents of this league can't get alone.

The private schools will never vote in another public school. This league is going the Big East route, and fast. We saw it starting 5 years ago. It's taken awhile, but the true fracture is coming. This might be the straw that pushes programs like UNI and ISUr out the door sooner than later.