• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The new "Point of Emphasis"

Started by vu84v2, November 09, 2013, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

It was mentioned in a few of the posts regarding the Murray State game (nice win!), but thought that I would start a separate thread here.  This point of emphasis where there can be no contact on the guy with the ball is absolutely ridiculous.  I see that the Valpo-Murray State game had 53 fouls and 77 free throws.  I was at the Kansas/Louisiana-Monroe game last night and there were 58 fouls and 73 free throws.  I can't comment on how physical the Valpo/Murray State game was and I do know that it came down to the wire, but the Kansas/Louisiana-Monroe game was not physical and did not go down to the wire.  One foul every 41 seconds is ridiculous (about every 45 seconds in the Valpo/Murray State game...still ridiculous).

People invest time to go to a game for lots of good reasons - college basketball is a great game and people want to support their teams.  The environment is great and the style of play is far better than the pro game.  In some places it is also pretty expensive to go to a game...but again, it is often a great product.  What we have now with this "point of emphasis" is a game with way too many stoppages and less exciting free throws versus good offensive and defensive play.  This is in the hope of getting more open play that is higher scoring, but in my opinion a potentially less interesting brand of basketball.

classof2014

Unfortunately those are now the rules. I would guess we'll see a plethora of fouls early in the season as both the refs and the players adjust to the new rules. Yesterday's game was a prime example, the game took over 2 hours which is unusual and with a stoppage every 45 seconds or so is just ridiculous. I'm sure though as the season goes on the flow of the game will return as players adjust to the rules and know what they can and cannot do, and as the refs come more comfortable with the rules. I will expect a lot of fouls early in the season just due to the new rules. Can't blame the refs, they're just there to enforce the rules. As much as it is frustrating from a fan's standpoint I don't think 75 free throws will be at all common. Let us not forget typically the first few games see more fouls than in games later in the season as players try to find their sea legs.

humbleopinion

With our depth, frequent foul calls can only work to our advantage.  Furthermore, as an old-timer, I have no problem with dialing back some of the contact.  As a fan, I'll have to remember that th game is being called differently this year.

I knew that I was getting home from the game later than normal last night, but I figured that was due to the 7:30 start.  I guess the free throws gave me a chance to recover from the intensity of the play during the rest of the game.
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 09, 2013, 12:03:30 PMWith our depth, frequent foul calls can only work to our advantage.
totally agree.  case in point:  the box score from last night. 

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I like the new rule.   If I wanted to watch players get tackled id watch football.  It is a bit short sighted to think that all games will have this many fouls.   The players will adjust their games if the refs are consistent and we will ultimately watch a "better" version of basketball...

justducky

Quote from: Smj on November 09, 2013, 05:19:18 PMIt is a bit short sighted to think that all games will have this many fouls.   The players will adjust their games if the refs are consistent and we will ultimately watch a "better" version of basketball...
Maybe-maybe not.

A lot of quick solid defenders in the game last night, but how many charges were called? Looks to me that unless you lower your shoulder and try to run through your man  you are going to get the call. The positive no flops, the negative far more fouls. Vashil seems to have figured this out and made everyone who beat him get up off the floor and shoot two free throws (if you are going to be called for the block anyway, then you might as well get your monies worth). It might have only been my imagination but it seemed like the seniors were still trying to snake through the defense, avoid contact and make circus shots; while the freshmen made up their minds, plowed straight ahead and still got the call go their way. I think this will take another 6 weeks for me to decide how well I like or detest these changes. In the meantime although it may help this particular VU basketball team it will generally  widen the gap between the majors and mid-majors.

This year could have numerous wars of attrition where the deepest bench will be of even greater importance than in years past. That advantage this season should generally go our way.

vu84v2

Respectfully, I would disagree with many of the comments.  There seem to be two outcomes from implementing this rule change.  Either (1) you end up with a game with more "matador" defense being played because you can't touch the guy when he is moving or (2) you end up with a game with lots of fouls and no flow.  That said, in looking at box scores of some other games it did not look like they have the huge numbers of fouls and free throws in the two games I mentioned, so maybe other teams are adapting better.

I would expect the rule changes to have the following impacts:
-Longer games that frankly aren't as interesting due to constant stoppages.  (Bad)
-Team having their best penetrating guard or small forward drive, drive and drive more - until they are stopped or fouls aren't called. (Potentially good)
-More zone defense and zone being more effective than it usually is compared to man-to-man.  Simple idea here: if the defender is not moving as much there is less chance of them drawing lots of quick fouls (especially for the guards).  (Not sure if bad or good - I tend to enjoy good man-to-man over zone)
-The most dramatic style of play changes will be in the Big Ten and Big East (assuming they place the same emphasis as everyone else).
-Some mid-majors benefitting.  While the war of attrition mentioned above may certainly happen and teams with short benches could really struggle, driving the lane will seem to have a more equal benefit to large schools vs. mid-majors.

I hope that the posters above are correct that teams will adjust.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 09, 2013, 07:16:14 PMI hope that the posters above are correct that teams will adjust.
Just as likely that refs will adjust. 

It's like any job--they change procedure and you go CRAZY so everybody notices, then things die down and you go back to your comfort zone.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

There's only one issue I care about in all of this:

Are rule-book fouls called?  If they are, I couldn't be happier.  If non-rule-book fouls are called, then I'm with you.

If the rules are being followed by the refs, then this is a great improvement, and the teams will simply have to adjust.

I don't care how many whistles are blown and how often play is stopped.  If there are tons of whistles and fouls and the flow is horrible, the only question for the refs is: did they call the game correctly?  If so, then it's totally on the players to clean up their act so that the game is interesting to watch.

In other words, don't blame the messenger.  Blame the guilty.

I will probably have no idea who to blame when a game like you are fearing happens, but I will have no stomach for starting with the number of whistles and the number of fouls and jumping straight to "blame the refs" or "blame the NCAA".

A foul is a foul and should always be called.  A non-foul should be let go.

Having said that, I do recall in the Mid-Con days somebody from the ORU message board posted a link to a website where a basketball referee answered fan questions, and one day he explained that touching per se is not necessarily a foul.  I suspect it was in the context of someone driving to the hoop against a defender and not so much the perimeter situation we're talking about this year.

Above all else, I'm interested in watching basketball and not rugby.  That's bottom line for me.  Furthermore, I look forward to seeing Gary Waters blow a gasket because his Bill Belichek strategy fails him.  I'm not gonna bet the ranch it will, but if this new emphasis does hold, he's gonna find his strategy won't work, and I couldn't be happier.  Nothing pisses me off more than officials letting coaches game the system like that.

If he's as good a coach as I think he is, even he will adjust, and I'll be overjoyed.  I'm sick and tired of watching the Vikings rough teams up and get away with it.  Even in the last two years when Valpo has dominated, going into the Wolstein Center has still been like navigating a minefield.  At least one of our players gets seriously injured there every year.

Absolutely sick of it.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 10, 2013, 05:11:06 PMAre rule-book fouls called?  If they are, I couldn't be happier.  If non-rule-book fouls are called, then I'm with you.
ahhh...another strict constructionist...

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 10, 2013, 07:46:15 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 10, 2013, 05:11:06 PMAre rule-book fouls called?  If they are, I couldn't be happier.  If non-rule-book fouls are called, then I'm with you.
ahhh...another strict constructionist...

vu84v2

Over 100 free throws in the Niagara - Seton Hall game.  That had to be painful to watch.

By the way, I do not blame the officials.  They are just following what they were told to do and the new rules. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the doubleheader in Chicago tomorrow night.  Michigan State generally plays tough physical defense....when they play very athletic Kentucky, will they adjust?  will the refs call Mich. State for 30+ fouls in a nationally televised game if they don't?  Kansas has not adjusted well to the new rules in their two exhibition games and one regular season game.  Will Kansas and Duke both drive "at will" against each other?

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds, i hope you didn't post that cartoon endorsing a completely nonsensical view.

although it would be ironic if you took advantage of the first amendment protecting using a computer, wifi, and Internet to tell us that the second amendment only applies to muskets.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 11, 2013, 11:46:04 AM
bbtds, i hope you didn't post that cartoon endorsing a completely nonsensical view.

although it would be ironic if you took advantage of the first amendment protecting using a computer, wifi, and Internet to tell us that the second amendment only applies to muskets.

Nah, I just liked the title "Strict Constructionist Comics." What did the cartoon say?  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

oh, good.  all is forgiven for now.