• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

University of Central Florida, Tuesday Nov. 26 at 7 pm

Started by valpopal, November 24, 2013, 08:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: wh on November 27, 2013, 08:20:29 AM
UCF fans feeling insulted by a loss to an "inferior" team/conference:

http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&tid=168835139&mid=168835139&sid=908&style=2

That's cute. Almost as cute as UCF's pinstripe uniforms. UCF had been in C-USA the past couple years (a 1-2 bid league) and the A-SUN before that. They had 0 NCAA appearances in the C-USA and 4 in the A-Sun... they've never won a tournament game. Their last appearance was 2005 when they lost as a 15 seed. Their highest seed is 14. To be fair, a couple of posters set him straight, but the entitlement of power conference fans is astonishing. This isn't even Georgetown getting blown out by FGCU. It's a team with virtually no basketball success playing against a team with a fairly good basketball tradition. So now they play in the soon to be diminished AAC, they're superior to anyone in the Horizon League? Give me a break. Maybe if we spent an extra $2 million per year on our basketball team and admitted 56,000 more students, we'd be on UCF's level.

valpopal

I have posted a set of 34 photos from the game, including the three here, at the link below. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures and all have a great Thanksgiving!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157638120589553/

oklahomamick

There were two technical fouls called.  LaVonte got into it with one of the UCF players and freshman Lexus steps in and receives a technical foul.  Good to see the two Chicago kids having each others back.  I wonder if LaVonte knows some of the UCF players from when he was at South Florida?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo95

Quote from: vu72 on November 27, 2013, 10:22:15 AM
I know this wasn't the longed for win against a BCS conference, but must be pretty close.  UCF plays in the same conference as National Champ Louisville, U Conn, Cincy and Memphis, and is the seventh ranked conference in the Sagarins.

72 is right on this  (as he usually is) -- this was a rather convincing win against a team that is likely to have a solid RPI just by virtue of who they play.  Still not a BCS win, but it is going to look even better at the year end.   

a3uge

This was our first power conference win since Washington. It's safe to say that. The BCS moniker no longer applies to college basketball teams since the conference realignment. The AAC is by no stretch of the imagination a mid-major conference. The BCS moniker does not apply to the Big East anymore, but it would be crazy to call them a mid-major conference. This conference is going to produce 3 or 4 tournament teams.

To say that beating Louisville or UConn is not a 'BCS win' would be kind of ridiculous.

FWalum

Quote from: HC on November 27, 2013, 09:50:34 AM
The 4 of us were home sick last night..my wife and boys with fevers me still recovering from a concussion.  Watched on hLN and thought the team looked and played fantastic. A couple thoughts: 1. I wonder who is going to see fewer minutes when Carter can play. I think it will be Jubril and Valpo will go a bit smaller, but I don't think it should be Lexus going by how he has performed so far. 2. I like the zone defense, Valpo doesn't seem to have the quickness, especially when 2/3 big guys are in to play man consistently. I did notice that UCF was able to get the ball to the high post vs our zone pretty easily which I think Valpo can fix with a bit practice.

Excited for Fridays game!
Quote from: truth219 on November 27, 2013, 09:58:01 AM
I think clay and Lexus might lose some minutes. Adekoya will lose some too but he's effective in the paint. Points in the paint are vital. The more minutes he gets the more upside I see. Besides missing three pointers his shooting percentage is almost perfect

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
The issue when Carter starts to play will be the position that gets filled and the particular game situation.  We would be getting much smaller and less physical with Lexus and Clay taking Adekoya's minutes.  I really like Jubril's ability to get to the rim when he flashes into the paint.  He has the hands, body and athleticism to receive the pass and get to the bucket with a decisive move.  It happened twice last night and was a thing of beauty.  Clay seems to guard pretty well so if the other team has a midrange scorer then he maybe called upon for defensive reasons.  Lexus is a point guard and I don't see him playing anywhere else.  Unless Carter is a disappointment, he is going to take those point and some 2 guard minutes (if he and Lexus are on the floor at the same time) and I really don't see any other way this works without minutes being shared by Carter, Lexus, Dority, Yeo and even Coleman.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

HC

Clay only played a few minutes, he is probably odd man out most nights. I suppose this is a good problem to have.

FWalum

I think chef said that he has had some nagging minor foot injury issues that kept his minutes down last night.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

truth219

Everything depends on how good carter is. We all have high hopes. Regardless, Lexus Williams is on my "what I'm thankful for" list this year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on November 27, 2013, 12:32:24 AM
I said this in the chat at several points: Alec Peters is a great passer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I also saw him move toward a pass once.  Greg Tonagel would have been proud.

LaPorteAveApostle

The interesting thing will be to see how it affects--hopefully improves--our offensive flow.

Make no mistake, we are humming offensively.  We are 31 in the country -- out of 351 teams! -- in ORtg.

We have 3 players basically each averaging 15 ppg (Dority, Peters, Coleman).  Right now of course.  There have been YEARS we didn't even have one that high.

Will be interesting to see what changes, that's for sure.  Meanwhile, let's mow these suckas down.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on November 27, 2013, 12:12:47 AMa special kudos to Bobby for playing up to his abilities like he did several times last year.  We need to see more of that!  How many teams can rotate 3 guys in the 5, and have each contribute on different nights?? 
Last night our three bigs played a total of 54 minutes which is about their season average. Of that Bobby put in about 12 minutes at the 5 and 14 minutes at the 4. So why did that work pretty well last night and not on other nights?

Lets look at the stat sheets just like UCF would and did. Capobianco----with a 64% season field goal number and 8 out of 11 from 3--needs a close defender wherever on the floor he is. So he was closely guarded outside which helped give Mousse some space inside and allowed Bobby some dribble penetrations against an equally slow defender. Even though his play at the 5 might have been slightly better, his play and development at the 4 is still important to this team.

I am not too concerned with our guard and small forward (includes Alec) play because as the year progresses it should get even better. The opportunity that we have this year that we have never had before is for a functional, deep go-big lineup that might match up much better against a 2013 Michigan State type team than we were able to with last years bunch. So my conclusion is that Bobby needs to continue to play maybe 8 to 15 minutes of 4 right up and into conference and maybe longer. At this point in time he has much better potential for improvement at the 4 than he does at the 5 so why not go for broke? This should still allow Jubril enough playing time to develope on schedule for a late season run.

Your turn.  :-[

chipper955

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 27, 2013, 07:13:35 PM
The interesting thing will be to see how it affects--hopefully improves--our offensive flow.

Make no mistake, we are humming offensively.  We are 31 in the country -- out of 351 teams! -- in ORtg.

We have 3 players basically each averaging 15 ppg (Dority, Peters, Coleman).  Right now of course.  There have been YEARS we didn't even have one that high.

Will be interesting to see what changes, that's for sure.  Meanwhile, let's mow these suckas down.

I know it is early as well, but boy is it nice to have more than just one or two guys on the court who can score regularly.  Not to take anything away from the guys last year, but Buggs, Bogan, Kenny, and Boggs where inconsistent at best and really couldn't be counted on to score.  It was great to have five guys out there last night putting up double digits.  Hopefully this scoring continues.

Also I hope we keep using that ally-oop play to Fernadez.  If he could just catch the ball it would work every time.

valpotx

Quote from: justducky on November 27, 2013, 10:40:17 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 27, 2013, 12:12:47 AMa special kudos to Bobby for playing up to his abilities like he did several times last year.  We need to see more of that!  How many teams can rotate 3 guys in the 5, and have each contribute on different nights?? 
Last night our three bigs played a total of 54 minutes which is about their season average. Of that Bobby put in about 12 minutes at the 5 and 14 minutes at the 4. So why did that work pretty well last night and not on other nights?

Lets look at the stat sheets just like UCF would and did. Capobianco----with a 64% season field goal number and 8 out of 11 from 3--needs a close defender wherever on the floor he is. So he was closely guarded outside which helped give Mousse some space inside and allowed Bobby some dribble penetrations against an equally slow defender. Even though his play at the 5 might have been slightly better, his play and development at the 4 is still important to this team.

I am not too concerned with our guard and small forward (includes Alec) play because as the year progresses it should get even better. The opportunity that we have this year that we have never had before is for a functional, deep go-big lineup that might match up much better against a 2013 Michigan State type team than we were able to with last years bunch. So my conclusion is that Bobby needs to continue to play maybe 8 to 15 minutes of 4 right up and into conference and maybe longer. At this point in time he has much better potential for improvement at the 4 than he does at the 5 so why not go for broke? This should still allow Jubril enough playing time to develope on schedule for a late season run.

Your turn.  :-[

My turn for what?  I was saying it is a blessing that we can rotate 3 guys in at the 5, and have each contribute on different nights...not many teams can say this is a strong point for them
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

I think it's safe to say that when Keith Carter becomes eligible a handful of players will lose about 3 - 5 minutes of time per game. There's no way Clay Yeo will be the odd man out. Let's say Carter plays about 25 mpg, which seems like a safe assumption. If everybody but Alec Peters losses about 3 minutes, then there will be ample minutes for everybody. Since everybody but Lexus, Moussa and Vashil can play multiple positions, there's no need to worry about Carter just taking minutes from the guards. There will be a trickle down effect.

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2013, 01:07:38 AMYour turn. 
Quote from: valpotx on November 28, 2013, 01:07:38 AMMy turn for what?  I was saying it is a blessing that we can rotate 3 guys in at the 5, and have each contribute on different nights...not many teams can say this is a strong point for them
Sorry tx. Just quoted you as my best lead in to a rebuttal directed to the "Ban Bobby from the 4" crowd. Not only do I agree that he is a valuable back up 5 but his outside shooting as a center should also open up all kinds of late game opportunities and adjustments. As I have said previously we can put five guys on the floor in the late game that as a group are bigger, quicker and much better shooting than last years normal lineup. When you can put five guys on the floor who are still big, quick (as a group) but can all hit the 3 pointer then we should never be out of a game until the final buzzer sounds. Yes much of my "best case" thinking is based on many details falling into place (including Carter) but this team is well ahead of schedule.

Try to avoid the 3'rds on the desserts but other than that everybody have a good day and a good dinner.  :)