• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Saint Louis @ Valpo, Sat., Dec. 7th, 7:05 p.m. Game Thread

Started by wh, December 06, 2013, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpofan00

I don't think we will be able to beat Green Bay this year though, even with Keith Carter.

classof2014

A few thoughts from yesterday's game. Yes, it was a heartbreaking loss but take away the first 5 minutes of that game and we win by 10. That was the difference in the game. We got off to a slow start and in the end if we start well we probably win.

Anyways I thought the freshmen looked a bit like freshmen tonight and the seniors showed that they can play with the best of them. Dority was fantastic last night, wanted the ball in crunch time and was clutch again. After a rough start for LVD he's been playing great. He doesn't foul much, gets fouled a ton, gets to the hoop and is able to finish. Every part of his game has improved dramatically since last year.

I also though Moussa was a Moose. Over the past few games he's been starting to come around. Yes, his offense isn't great but when you pull down 13 boards and 6 are offensive you're doing something right, he also had 4 blocks as well. SLUs big men were taken out of the game and were unheard of. I will imagine he will dominate the HL, no team has a player like Moussa and the only way big's can score against him is to take outside shots.

Bobby also played really well. He had a big first half and brought us back in the game. He plays with a huge level of intensity, without Bobby I think this game would've been over early in the second half. He really brought us back in the game.

This team plays with an edge and has a certain attitude to it, and I love it. Compared to last years team which would have to outshoot you to win, this team is much more athletic and nearly beat an extremely athletic SLU team. This team is playing great, I'm excited to have KC real soon, I think he's the final ingredient. Too bad we couldn't of had him to start the season cause we'd probably be a one or two loss team and might even be ranked because the teams we have lost to are high-quality team and every one of those game we could've easily come out as victors.

This team is capable of running the table in the HL, will it happen doubtful but they are better than every team, GB is the only other good team in the league. I would guess that GB and Valpo are on a collision course right now to meet in the finals.

vufan75

SLU is a good defensive team, which we knew coming in. They took us out of our offense for most of the first half. Having said that, when you outrebound your opponent by 20+ in a game you would expect to win. What hurt us badly once again was sloppy play and 17 turnovers for the game, though we were much better in the 2nd half with that.
Again we fell behind 15-3 in the first 5 minutes of the game. Hard to beat good teams when you do that and have to play catch up the whole game. Lastly, splitting free throw opportunities. It seemed as I watched the game that we would make one and miss one when given 2 free throws to shoot. Throw in the missed alley-oop, which was set up pretty well by the coaching staff I thought, and a few other missed bunnies, and we could of, maybe should of won. But should of means nothing, as SLU weathered the storm at the end and found a way to win, when perhaps they did not play their best game.

This game should help our freshmen players grow and mature on the court, as they had the opportunity to go against a borderline top 25 program at home, one with lots of experienced players, and one that plays pressure D in the half court game. I was proud of how our guys did not back down, but competed hard and almost came away with the win. I hope SLU and Valpo continue the series and play each other every year, as it is good competition for each program in the non-con portion of the season.   

historyman

Quote from: govalpogo on December 07, 2013, 09:28:15 PMthe "Valpo Valiants."
I believe that is the nickname that Immanuel Lutheran School (K-8) Valpo still uses to this day.

edit: I should say within their Lutheran schools conference they are known as "Valpo Valiants" because within their conference there are other Immanuels. When they play public or other private schools within Valpo they are known as the Immanuel Valiants.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

SLU fans seem to have a weird superiority complex... This was more evident when the new Big East was being formed and SLU was left behind in the A10. Really they're still just a strong mid major program... As much as they want to be, they're not Marquette or Georgetown.

And the SLU fan saying "if we play better we win by 10 against Valpo" must not understand the concept of a sporting event.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 12:01:09 PM
SLU fans seem to have a weird superiority complex... This was more evident when the new Big East was being formed and SLU was left behind in the A10. Really they're still just a strong mid major program... As much as they want to be, they're not Marquette or Georgetown.

And the SLU fan saying "if we play better we win by 10 against Valpo" must not understand the concept of a sporting event.
I was in Chaifetz Arena last year when SLU had already sliced and diced VCU to a statistically certain win and the hometown fans were still screaming bloody murder over a "bad" call by the ref.  I looked at the guy next to me and said, "You do know that game is over, right?" but unfortunately he wasn't looking at me and he couldn't hear me.

The arena certainly begets feelings of superiority.  Makes the ARC look like a kindergarten gymnasium.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 12:01:09 PMAnd the SLU fan saying "if we play better we win by 10 against Valpo" must not understand the concept of a sporting event.
a3 FTW.

the difference between a freshman and a senior never more apparent than with 'pal's photo of the last play. 

attendance was actually 3565 because we had an extra spectator there at the end.

hell of a way to learn that lesson, kid.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 08, 2013, 09:29:21 AMQuote from: Smj on Today at 07:43:45 AM

Also, I am changing my original view on the new rules because I thought it would promote "the finesse game" - instead just slows down play and at times awards the wrong things.

Thank you for coming around :)

It *will* promote a cleaner game (or whatever the hell "finesse game" means)... IF the players do their part.  In point of fact however, the new emphasis on rules that have *not* changed is meant to promote one thing, and one thing only: playing by the rules.

When it comes to assessing the new emphasis this year, I don't care one bit about increased scoring, increase in the number of fouls and free throws, increase in play stoppage or any of the other "problems" that keep getting brought up to argue against the new emphasis.  These are irrelevant to a proper assessment of the referees.  They matter when discussing whether fans are going to like it or not, but that's a separate issue.

These refs last night didn't get the memo and probably weren't all that great to begin with, but I don't think you can blame the new emphasis for this.

VUfan

If guards had played solid defense in the first half we would not be talking about missed shots! >:(

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 08, 2013, 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 12:01:09 PMAnd the SLU fan saying "if we play better we win by 10 against Valpo" must not understand the concept of a sporting event.
a3 FTW.

the difference between a freshman and a senior never more apparent than with 'pal's photo of the last play. 

attendance was actually 3565 because we had an extra spectator there at the end.

hell of a way to learn that lesson, kid.

Gotta agree.  You do your job, you don't suddenly become a spectator.  I could see that coming and I'm saying "why isn't that guy being boxed out? -- Oh, s%$#@"

vu72

I really think Moussa is coming into his own as he learns and adjusts to his role.  I'm sure his role is much different than last year and we must, as a team, learn to push the ball inside to open up the outside game.  Moussa had 6 points, 13 boards, 4 blocks, 2 assts, 1 TO and didn't foul out.  This against the best defensive team we've played all year and probably the best overall.

I'm also sure those asking for less playing time for Bobby are rethinking their position.  He is a huge (literally) matchup problem as he has now shown the dribble/drive ability to go with his 3 point shot and great rebounding.  His line:  14 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks.  He did have 3 TOs (less then Alec's 4) and 5 fouls in a hard fought inside game.

Congrats to both!!   :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: vu72 on December 08, 2013, 01:30:42 PM
I really think Moussa is coming into his own as he learns and adjusts to his role.  I'm sure his role is much different than last year and we must, as a team, learn to push the ball inside to open up the outside game.  Moussa had 6 points, 13 boards, 4 blocks, 2 assts, 1 TO and didn't foul out.  This against the best defensive team we've played all year and probably the best overall.

I'm also sure those asking for less playing time for Bobby are rethinking their position.  He is a huge (literally) matchup problem as he has now shown the dribble/drive ability to go with his 3 point shot and great rebounding.  His line:  14 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks.  He did have 3 TOs (less then Alec's 4) and 5 fouls in a hard fought inside game.

Congrats to both!!   :clap: :clap:

I will retract my bench Bobby statements from earlier. He's looked really good and without him last night we have no chance of winning. Same with Moussa, might not be the prettiest offensive player but he gets it done in many other categories. Moussa will eat up HL post players that have nowhere near the size. Perhaps the knee injury Bobby was nursing early on affected him more than I realized. I wouldn't be shocked if Lexus doesn't start next game just because of the final play of the game where he was a spectator and if he would've boxed out it would've gone to OT.

They should be able to handle LMU, after that we have everyone available. I think yesterday showed us that Lexus isn't quite ready to be a starter. He's a very good player and will be very good but this is why KC is gonna start over him.

Hopefully we can be run the table going into HL play and enter 10-5. UCF is good but we get KC for that game and we should be able to handle LMU and ETS.

vuchicago

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 08, 2013, 12:25:15 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 12:01:09 PMSLU fans seem to have a weird superiority complex... This was more evident when the new Big East was being formed and SLU was left behind in the A10. Really they're still just a strong mid major program... As much as they want to be, they're not Marquette or Georgetown. And the SLU fan saying "if we play better we win by 10 against Valpo" must not understand the concept of a sporting event.
I was in Chaifetz Arena last year when SLU had already sliced and diced VCU to a statistically certain win and the hometown fans were still screaming bloody murder over a "bad" call by the ref.  I looked at the guy next to me and said, "You do know that game is over, right?" but unfortunately he wasn't looking at me and he couldn't hear me. The arena certainly begets feelings of superiority.  Makes the ARC look like a kindergarten gymnasium.

That's hilarious as I was walking out of the arena at the same time as the refs a SLU fan yelled thanks for giving us one call the whole second half.  He had to be reminded that his team won the game.
I'm sure its only a portion of their fans, but some SLU people were clearly intoxicated as they walked into the arena and sounded as if they have not attended a basketball game before.

This team is already a ton of fun to watch already and that will only increase once KC comes back.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuchicago on December 08, 2013, 01:57:31 PMThat's hilarious as I was walking out of the arena at the same time as the refs a SLU fan yelled thanks for giving us one call the whole second half.  He had to be reminded that his team won the game.
LOL.  Well, I suppose anyone willing to travel the 300+ miles to stay over night in a hotel and attend a basketball game has to be a little nuts ;)

Sounds like the idiot that sat behind me at the 2001 Purdue game and called Raitis a goon.

VU75

Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 12:01:09 PMSLU fans seem to have a weird superiority complex...

Don't forget most are Cardinal fans, the most obnoxious in baseball. 

bbtds

Quote from: VU75 on December 08, 2013, 05:20:02 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 12:01:09 PMSLU fans seem to have a weird superiority complex...

Better than Cub fans who have no idea why they are in Wrigley Field in the first place except to enjoy the atmosphere. You can enjoy the atmosphere and win in St Louis.  ;D

Also, FYI, there are many "good" posters on the SLU board who deserve and give respect. Yes, there are some very arrogant catholic school boy types but finding a "good" Saint Louis (BTW, they prefer to spell the University with the "Saint" and not "St." and I choose to respect that because it distinguishes the school from the Cardinals, Rams, Blues, etc.) poster is like finding a piece of gold in a cave.

a3uge

Careful, the arbitrators of class might come after you... Drunk Tony LaRussa is going to hunt you down with his car.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2013, 07:21:20 PM

Careful, the arbitrators of class might come after you... Drunk Tony LaRussa is going to hunt you down with his car.

I always bring my dog when I'm near Tony LaRussa. That way he sobers up and won't hit a dog.    ;)

BTW, Tony made the mistake of sleeping it off in his car with it running at a stoplight in the middle of the night. Wonder how many people would have continued to drive and caused a fatal accident.

Never mind, I should not try and defend his actions. He should have never even started the car. I wonder how many of us have made a very similar mistake in judgement but never got caught.

valpopal

I have uploaded a set of more than 40 photos from the game, such as the two below. Since there has been discussion about attendance and enthusiasm, I have included more crowd pictures in this set. (I hope some of you who were at the game spot yourselves.) The photographs can be found at the following: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157638495279424/

valpotx

I second this Cardinal fan statement!  The SLU board just seems like another crowd of Butler people...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on December 09, 2013, 03:18:39 PMThe SLU board just seems like another crowd of Butler people...
whoa whoa whoa...let's not say things we can't take back.

...thinking...

ok, you're right.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Hoosier Expatriate

Quote from: truth219 on December 07, 2013, 10:20:05 PM I'm going to say this and Im not going to be liked for it but Jordan Coleman attempts some layups he has no business attempting. He looks like a clown sometimes. Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Quote from: truth219 on December 07, 2013, 10:25:58 PM The one moment tonight that sticks out was when we cut the lead to 4 for the first time. Back to back possessions Coleman blew attempts to score one being an airball dunk. Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
You're right, Truth219, I don't like people that take cheep shots at our players, your comment was out of line and without merit.  I also would think that someone calling themselves the "Truth" would be better informed. What you attribute to looking like a clown is what happens when you drive to the basket and have a couple of big bodies crash into you, often while you're in the air.  Sometimes you get the call, sometimes not. He didn't look like a clown when he hit those two shots from the line down the stretch.

If you look at the replay on the alley oop play (what you call the airball dunk) the pass was too far from the basket for the play to be successful.  Try to imagine yourself sprinting to the basket trying to locate the ball in the air through all the big bodies down low, jumping to catch the ball, turning in mid air to locate the basket, and dunk the ball all and in a fraction of a second.  If the pass isn't close enough to the basket, there isn't enough time to adjust to lay the ball up or come down without traveling.  Since when do we degrade our players for mistakes on the court, let alone when the fault was not their own?!

I rarely post, I'm just too lazy, and I generally enjoy reading what others have to say about the team, but your post was way out of line.  Calling our players derogatory names diminishes this forum and yourself.

LaPorteAveApostle

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on December 09, 2013, 03:18:39 PM

I second this Cardinal fan statement!  The SLU board just seems like another crowd of Butler people...

What's sad is that SLU fans are obnoxious despite having 5 NCAA tournament wins in their history.  FIVE!  (FWIW, Butler also had five tournament wins ... in 2010 and five more in 2011).   SLU has never won two games in the same tournament ... something Valpo did in '98.  Feel free to use that as ammunition when you spar with those wannabe posers.  There's a reason the Big East picked Creighton instead of them.

rink

Was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. Sounds like St Louis NCAAM fans are just as odious as St Louis MLB fans. Arrogant, sanctimonious, supercilious dipwads.