• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2016-2017

Started by valporun, November 25, 2016, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

In watching these games, you can tell that most of our players are probably D-2 athletes.  I have finally come around, and believe that we need a new direction.  Everyone is a step slow for this level.  I went to just about every women's game while I was in school, and players like Jeanette Gray, Betsy Rietema, Jenna Stangler, Suzie Hammel, Kathryn Knoester, Jamie Gutowski, Katie Boone, Meredith Baugher, etc, would run us out of the gym.  Those players consistently kept up the pace against any team we played, and were able to avoid 10 turnovers/game.  It seems like it is commonplace to have 15-20+ turnovers every game now.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

NativeCheesehead

IndyValpo

Great line by our announcing crew........after hamlet had double dribbled, the play by play guy said you don't see that at this level (it is at least the 3rd time I have seen it for us). The color commentator said the silver lining was at least they didn't get a fast break.

You have to love our attempt to run a 3 man weave when we have no one capable of running it.

Note to coaching staff Schaub can't take the ball out underneath the basket. Guard her and she can't see anything. Hasn't worked for 20 games....

Vinny

This team can turn the ball over with the best of em. What's the story with Dorrow? When did she decide to start sitting at the scorer's table and not on the bench?  ??? ???

usc4valpo

This is a team with student athletes getting $45000 scholarships? You gotta do better than this!

IndyValpo

Quote from: Vinny on January 22, 2017, 07:31:38 PM
This team can turn the ball over with the best of em. What's the story with Dorrow? When did she decide to start sitting at the scorer's table and not on the bench?  ??? ???
Neck surgery

Valpo89

Attendance for Sunday's loss to Wright State listed as 511. Anyone there who could verify the accuracy?
At least Keith Freeman was in the house, I'm assuming.

talksalot

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 23, 2017, 09:56:18 AMAt least Keith Freeman was in the house, I'm assuming.

Yup, he was there... chatted with him briefly between the games.  Not happy with the HL schedulers.  The 5pm tip in Valpo puts them back home at 2am eastern time.

historyman

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 23, 2017, 09:56:18 AM
Attendance for Sunday's loss to Wright State listed as 511. Anyone there who could verify the accuracy?
At least Keith Freeman was in the house, I'm assuming.

My guess would be from 200 to 300 in attendence. Keith Freeman has got to wonder what has happened to him. He got let go at Valpo 5 years ago and the program is worse than when he left. The guy he worked with at WSU gets hired at New Mexico and he doesn't get asked to go with him to Albuquerque. They hire the assistant who has been at Wright State longer, now head coach Katrina Merriweather, but she has only been there two years longer. Merriweather got there in 2010, Keith got there in 2012. During the timeouts it looks like Keith is much more involved in deciding what is communicated during those timeouts.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

IndyValpo

OK this one may be the one to break the losing streak. 5-15 Valpo vs. 3-17 UIC.  Will we try a new lineup on stay with the tried and true one. Seems like time to start Thompson. She has given a consistent effort the last 5 games or so....

jack

Wishful thinking, right? Not sure how you dominate on the offensive boards and lose by 14. Actually, I am. We shot 28%. I'm beginning to believe we may not see another W this season.

usc4valpo

Really sad - bottom 10% in the sagarin. This team is very Carlsonesque. A team where student athletes are getting $45000 scholarships with pathetic results. This is unacceptable and requires resolution.

Vinny

IMO, the program has fallen into a very dangerous state: indifference. It wasn't that long ago that Betsy Reitema, Jamie Gutowski, and others made Valpo women's basketball something to talk about, something to be proud of. The absolutely pathetic and embarrassing product on display right now should have us alums disgusted. However - no one cares. This horsehockey operation which has only gotten worse as the season has gone on will only continue on until Dorrows' contract is up. What a disservice to those trying especially Franklin. Then again, no one cares enough for the problem to be fixed obviously. Total trainwreck.

vu72

Quote from: Vinny on January 29, 2017, 09:03:34 PM
IMO, the program has fallen into a very dangerous state: indifference. It wasn't that long ago that Betsy Reitema, Jamie Gutowski, and others made Valpo women's basketball something to talk about, something to be proud of. The absolutely pathetic and embarrassing product on display right now should have us alums disgusted. However - no one cares. This horsehockey operation which has only gotten worse as the season has gone on will only continue on until Dorrows' contract is up. What a disservice to those trying especially Franklin. Then again, no one cares enough for the problem to be fixed obviously. Total trainwreck.
[/b]

I don't think Mark LaBarbera doesn't care.  I'm sure he is watching--carefully.  He is a careful, caring guy.  Look, he didn't let Keith Freeman go because he wanted the program to regress.  I posted earlier:

We will finish with the fifth year in a row with a losing record and two of the five with 6 wins.  Keith Freeman was fired for having a losing record for three years in a row after having winning records 13 out of 18 years at the helm and two NCAA appearances and a WNIT post season birth. Oh, he never had a season with only 6 wins.

I would think that if we don't get past 6 wins this year the plug may be pulled.  I'm guessing however that he gives the coach one more year (after giving an extension last year) to get it turned around. At that point, injuries aside, she will have had the necessary time to bring in her players.  The ones Keith left behind won 11 games for her in her first year at the helm. She hasn't gotten back to that level since.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

If you at this situation more on a business perspective, the entire coaching staff would be gone as the results vs cost/energy curve is low. Valpo
Administration provides a long leash compared to most schools.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 30, 2017, 09:57:58 AM
If you at this situation more on a business perspective, the entire coaching staff would be gone as the results vs cost/energy curve is low. Valpo

It is a gamble. You can end up with a Homer Drew or a Dale Carlson.

VU2014

I guess Alec Peters' sister Anne Peters is a hell of basketball player like her brother. It would interesting to see if Valpo offered. I believe she plays for the same AAU program as Alec did. Also the same AAU program that potential Valpo recruit Taylor Bruninga plays for.

https://twitter.com/Illinois_Irish/status/826645769994240000

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on January 30, 2017, 10:32:54 AM

Lest we not forget Drew's first four years at Valpo:

10-19
4-24
5-22
5-22

NativeCheesehead

Unless Dorow has a top recruit for a daughter i'm going to bet she isn't the next Homer Drew.

IndyValpo

Quote from: covufan on February 01, 2017, 05:00:22 PM

10-19
4-24
5-22
5-22

Lest  we not forget that Valpo's men's basketball had not approached a .500 season in D1 during the Rochlitz or Smith era.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 01, 2017, 08:25:34 PM
Quote from: covufan on February 01, 2017, 05:00:22 PM

10-19
4-24
5-22
5-22
Lest  we not forget that Valpo's men's basketball had not approached a .500 season in D1 during the Rochlitz or Smith era.

1976-77 Ken Rochlitz 13-12 (of course these were Purden's guys)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/ken-rochlitz-1.html

I used to sit in the front row back then and only myself and best friend were court side opposite the scorers' table.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on February 02, 2017, 07:57:31 AM1976-77 Ken Rochlitz 13-12 (of course these were Purden's guys) http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/ken-rochlitz-1.htmlI used to sit in the front row back then and only myself and best friend were court side opposite the scorers' table.

True indeed but we were not full D1 that season.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 01, 2017, 01:19:05 PMThe only opening is a dump into Lindfors who has developed a decent post move. She should be shooting 10-12 times rather than 4-5.

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 29, 2016, 06:13:14 PMDonchetz should be the starter and it isn't even close.

Two things that happened last night that help us win a conference game.  Donchetz started due to another injury but we are better with her on the floor somewhere.  Happy for the team to get a win.

Meredith made another basketball last night in a 1-6 shooting night she is now 4-43 and approaching 10%! More importantly she had 2 assists vs. 1 TO.

jack

Is the box score correct that Oakland stole the ball from us 29 times?? Is that even possible?