• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tevonn Walker will compete in the 3X3 Touney in San Antonio for the MVC

Started by VU2014, March 28, 2018, 03:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Interesting format - maybe it's normal for 3v3, I wouldn't know.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2017-18/18122/tevonn-walker-selected-to-play-in-inaugural-3x3u-national-championship/

Pits conferences against each other.

QuoteWalker will join three other players from Missouri Valley Conference schools to represent the league in San Antonio. Bradley's Donte Thomas, Indiana State's Brenton Scott and UNI's Bennett Koch will compete alongside Walker for the championship.

(no Loyola, obviously, since this goes on during the final four)

Half court. First to 21 (1 and 2 point baskets). Or most points in 10 minutes.

VU2014

agibson

I guess this thing tips off at 6 PM central today
https://twitter.com/i/events/958037019921231872

I can't seem to find a game schedule... Games just 10 minutes each. I'd tune in for Tevonn. I don't think I'm going to watch it all hoping to spot the MVC game...

Speak of the devil:

[tweet]979774928751857665[/tweet]

[tweet]979770905919442944[/tweet]

Tevonn's at 6:35 PM central [corrected]. A bit tight against church, probably; alas.

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on March 30, 2018, 12:24:01 PMTevonn's at 6:35 PM eastern. A bit tight against church, probably; alas.
I think there is some confusion on the times of these games, Tevonn's first game will be at 7:35PM EDT and 6:35PM CDT and second game will be at 8:55PM EDT and 7:55PM CDT. Twitter says that the times listed are all Eastern Time.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on March 30, 2018, 02:55:53 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 30, 2018, 12:24:01 PMTevonn's at 6:35 PM eastern. A bit tight against church, probably; alas.
I think there is some confusion on the times of these games, Tevonn's first game will be at 7:35PM EDT and 6:35PM CDT and second game will be at 8:55PM EDT and 7:55PM CDT. Twitter says that the times listed are all Eastern Time.

Yeah, thanks. Corrected. I had the right time (and time zone) in mind, but was typing too fast.

M

Looks like they play at 10:35 this morning. You can watch it on the twitter.

agibson

Quote from: M on March 30, 2018, 08:29:28 PM
How'd team MVC do?

Got schooled by the less conference team (Big South?) apparently. 21-9 or something. Paul Oren seemed to admire the strategy of the Big South, taking lots of 2-point (long distance) shots in transition.

Not really sure of the standings or format. If only one team advances, if the Valley has a chance with a win this morning, or what. But, I'll try to tune in for the ten minutes.

M

agibson

Yeah, the Valley didn't look very good.

10 or 12 to 5, America East leading, when the feed switched to their game.

Tevonn did a few nice things, but also missed some easy shots. Valley couldn't get much going, seemed maybe checked out.

America East was running plays, hustling a bit more, and looking pretty good. Finished 3-0 and advanced.

SWAC vs. Big Sky was a little more competitive, but the 12 second shot clock was pretty silly. Flash a move, get to the rack. Flash a move, pull back for the long shot. A little boring, apart from the close score and advancement implications.

Nice to see the SWAC (allegedly the 32 seed?) win the tie-breaker to advance.

Glad the Valley at least won the Mountain West grudge match. (7-5 on the season series!)