• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 24, 2017, 07:57:20 PM
I think you are onto something. Tevonn, I am thinking, defered to Alec and Shane out of respect. He altered his game to ensure that Alec and Shane could play theirs. I am thinking that he now realizes that this is his team and that he will be the go-to guy. Gonna be fun.

I have seen Tevonn at the ARC recently, and he looks muscularly bigger and even stronger than last year.

VU75

Not meaning to be critical but to me  Al Jackson, Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper will always be the real MG3.

ValpoDad89

I could be wrong and we have all seen Alec Peters but Tevonn is the most athletic and fundamentally sound kid I've seen in my 3 years being a big fan and my 8 years being an around the circle guy. Him having control of this team will be something to see. I have major high hopes for us and LOVE what we are doing from a recruiting / transfer standpoint. As long as he is healthy and the Smits and Soralla's develop under coach Gore we are going to be fine.

Size like this you cannot teach. Basketball court awareness / IQ you cannot give and I think we have more than most of our competition. Hearing Tevonn and Bakari going at it in practice makes us so much better. What other team in our conference outside of the Duke's and UNC's ..etc. have kids making themselves better. We got a good thing going and while I'm sad to see the Alec's and Shane's of this world leave that's the life a college basketball fan. We have a GREAT coaching staff that will continue player development but to hear the kids making themselves better is refreshing to say the least. I am a DePaul alum and fan as I will will always but our AD at Valpo makes Posetti look real bad and the kids there don't compete like Valpo's kids. I'd love to play them in their state of the art facility because I know Valpo would destroy them.

jsher3141

Maybe a little off topic, but I really wish Valpo would bring back a midnight madness event. I remember them doing them years ago, but none in recent memory.

I think something like this would be good to get both the community and students hyped for the season, and to introduce everyone to some of the new players we have.

VU2014

VULB#62

So do we continue to post here about all the rumors and stories developing in the next month of practice or do we set up a new thread for that and leave this thread for more general observations and opinions about the entire season?  A separate thread might concentrate our pre-season practice thoughts a bit better and not bury them amongst other 17-18 season observations.  Just wondering.

oklahomamick

Agreed on Midnight madness.  I remember my first Valpo midnight madness as I was a senior in high school on a recruit trip to Valpo.  Kikas Gomes was throwing down during the dunk contest.  It was before his knee surgery.  The guy could leap and block shots before his ACL went out.  Would love to hear him on Union Street Hoops.
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Whoever is running the @ValpoBasketball twitter account needs to step up its game. I've been following other Missouri Valley Conference teams social media accounts and they are way more active in tweeting and putting out content. Other teams like Loyola has been tweeting out well produced videos and pictures.

Valpo could probably hire a senior students who are majoring in digital media to produce little pieces of content content (videos/gif/images, etc.) for the team for not too much money. Just something I've noticed the last few months.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on October 03, 2017, 10:26:17 AM
Whoever is running the @ValpoBasketball twitter account needs to step up its game. I've been following other Missouri Valley Conference teams social media accounts and they are way more active in tweeting and putting out content. Other teams like Loyola has been tweeting out well produced videos and pictures.

I, too, have been checking both the MBB Twitter and FB accounts for news mainly about the players and practice updates -- nothing really, except the MVC TV deals. 

Practice has started and that signals the beginning of the new season.  Yet when you go to the two sites, here's what you see.  FB -- last year's team picture as the banner, pinned video is of Motor City Madness, pinned photos are last year's team picture, a picture of Lexus and a shot of a Purdue player.  Last year's pics should already have been archived as the 2016-2017 album.  Twitter -- the site is just a bit more relevant, but it, too, should now be focusing on the players and practices. Not one item on either account anoouncing/overing the first day of practice.   

Noting this, I went to the MBB Valpo Athletics website and checked that out.  Same neglect.  Two new players (and prize recruits) don't have bios yet:   Parker and Mileek. That's embarrassing for them. New assistant Emanuel Dildy has a brief bio but no picture. Julie Vick, the MBB Administrative Assistant, has no bio, no picture and just an email address. 

C'mon, man.  MBB is the flagship sport at Valpo.  MBB was the reason we jumped to the MVC.  Is it a resources thing?  A better question is how long does it take to write 3 bios, take 2 pictures and complete the website?  The program had all summer and almost two full months of fall to get a person or persons to master a camera and get good at posting techniques to both Twitter and FB to get this thing going right.  Heck, the best producer of up-to-date player news is Markus Golder and he's a player!

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 05, 2017, 09:17:12 AM

I, too, have been checking both the MBB Twitter and FB accounts for news mainly about the players and practice updates -- nothing really, except the MVC TV deals. 

Practice has started and that signals the beginning of the new season.  Yet when you go to the two sites, here's what you see.  FB -- last year's team picture as the banner, pinned video is of Motor City Madness, pinned photos are last year's team picture, a picture of Lexus and a shot of a Purdue player.  Last year's pics should already have been archived as the 2016-2017 album.  Twitter -- the site is just a bit more relevant, but it, too, should now be focusing on the players and practices. Not one item on either account anoouncing/overing the first day of practice.   

Noting this, I went to the MBB Valpo Athletics website and checked that out.  Same neglect.  Two new players (and prize recruits) don't have bios yet:   Parker and Mileek. That's embarrassing for them. New assistant Emanuel Dildy has a brief bio but no picture. Julie Vick, the MBB Administrative Assistant, has no bio, no picture and just an email address. 

C'mon, man.  MBB is the flagship sport at Valpo.  MBB was the reason we jumped to the MVC.  Is it a resources thing?  A better question is how long does it take to write 3 bios, take 2 pictures and complete the website?  The program had all summer and almost two full months of fall to get a person or persons to master a camera and get good at posting techniques to both Twitter and FB to get this thing going right.  Heck, the best producer of up-to-date player news is Markus Golder and he's a player!

I wrote the following on the board back when Valpo was accepted to the MVC, and I am still waiting for signs of innovative thinking:

"I think it will be important to watch what the university administration does between July 1 and the opening day at home of basketball season. I believe the consensus on this board is that the opportunity to promote Valpo, as well as increase attendance and facilities, was squandered following the Sweet-16 season... Now, we are at another juncture where Valpo basketball can be instrumental in promoting VU. Will the administration take this opportunity to renew the brand by upgrading the ARC and by advertising the MVC? Will there be a new approach to marketing and better attention to game atmosphere—perhaps live halftime shows, more appealing concession stands, aggressive promotion in the surrounding communities, etc? Will we see some innovative thinking to go with the entrance into a new league? Let's not squander this opportunity!"

VU2014

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on October 05, 2017, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 05, 2017, 09:17:12 AM

I wrote the following on the board back when Valpo was accepted to the MVC, and I am still waiting for signs of innovative thinking:

"I think it will be important to watch what the university administration does between July 1 and the opening day at home of basketball season. I believe the consensus on this board is that the opportunity to promote Valpo, as well as increase attendance and facilities, was squandered following the Sweet-16 season... Now, we are at another juncture where Valpo basketball can be instrumental in promoting VU. Will the administration take this opportunity to renew the brand by upgrading the ARC and by advertising the MVC? Will there be a new approach to marketing and better attention to game atmosphere—perhaps live halftime shows, more appealing concession stands, aggressive promotion in the surrounding communities, etc? Will we see some innovative thinking to go with the entrance into a new league? Let's not squander this opportunity!"

Along those lines, those of you who drive the highways and roads of NW Indiana/SE Chicagoland, have you seen billboards proclaiming Valpo's new MVC affilliation and promoting Valpo as NE Indiana's D-I Basketball program????

In driving down from WI a couple of times in the past I have seen billboards (at least one digital) promoting school athletic programs at places like IU Northwest and  Purdue University North Central (don't hold me to the exact names, please).  You know, there's more to marketing and promotion than social media and web sites.  Sometimes you need to really be in people's faces.

If you've seen them, then that's a big step in a positive direction.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on October 05, 2017, 11:02:03 AMA potential new walk-on transfer from Detroit-Mercy? Sounds like Patrick is practicing with the team. Valpo Basketball has some pretty good walk-on/practice squad.

I don't see him getting another year.  In 2015-16 he played in 6 or 7 games, including games in Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb.  Even if he gets eligibility, he won't see much time on the court.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3948162/year/2016/patrick-robinson-jr

His experience and practice time could be valuable - maybe he is more of a graduate assistant?  Maybe getting connections at Valpo and the MVC will enhance his opportunity for a GA position next year?

oklahomamick

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4790&p=109091#p109091

Most mvc fans agree that Valpo finishes 7th in the new league. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on October 05, 2017, 01:08:47 PM
http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4790&p=109091#p109091

Most mvc fans agree that Valpo finishes 7th in the new league. 

Its somewhat reasonable to assume that from an outsiders perspective. I'm assuming of their analysis is: Lose Peters + Look at box scores from last year = 7th place...

I personally pegged us 6th or 5th but maybe 4th place. OR higher if everything comes together & guys step up & are better then expected.

vu72

The Predictions magazines have us 3rd or 4th, surly not 7th.  Tevonn is picked 1st team all conference.  Joe Burton probably should be.  Our starting point guard is now at Boise State.  Why?  Bakari Evelyn.  Our two 7 footers aren't freshman any longer.  Maybe 4th.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Good point made on website / social media. Outside of on the court success, we lag behind badly in areas of marketing, promotion, branding, etc. (And this doesn't even get into the ridiculous bathroom and parking situation) And I think that will be exposed further in the MVC.

People (outside this board) are too quick to pass all of that off as a budget issue. I think it's a creative issue. Look at the details. We've run the same in game promotions for years (free throw contest, bounce the ball into the trash can, etc.) Now even the most creative of these types of things don't really move the needle, but they're symptoms of the larger problem. The billboard example above is a good one. IUN's on 30 proclaims them "The Region's University". How about just a giant billboard with nothing but #ValpoInTheValley and let people explore that? Something. Anything.

I'm still salty as hell that there now stands (or lays) a Purdue themed basketball court in the middle of town. And sure, when someone is willing to donate that, you say yes and thank you. But Vu should have turned around and built one at Kirchoff and one somewhere else, and run a free camp on each over the summer.

So the question is: Are these ideas not being generated within the department? Or are they being shot down? Two separate issues.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on October 06, 2017, 07:39:28 AMwe lag behind badly in areas of marketing, promotion, branding, etc.

Living far away from campus, I have nothing to add to your thought.  Nonetheless, perhaps your comments should be directed directly to those on staff whose titles would indicate some level of responsibility for addressing your concern, as follows:

Anne VanKeppel, Associate Director of Athletics for Corporate Partnerships

http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/staff/2706/anne-vankeppel/#.WdeHjWiPLIU

Lexi Nichols, Assistant Director of Marketing for Athletics

http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/staff/8985/lexi-nichols/#.WdeIsWiPLIU

In at least Lexi's position, I'm not sure if this was a new hire to address these concerns or if she replaced someone. She did only start in October of 2016.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I notice that Sorolla, who was listed as 6'11 last year, is listed this year at 7'0"; add this to Smits at 7'2". I looked into past rosters and couldn't find another Valpo team that had two players officially listed as 7-footers. I found seasons where one player was 7'0" and another 6'11"; I wonder if this is the first time we had a pair of players officially listed as 7-footers—and both are only sophomores!

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on October 07, 2017, 09:31:36 PM
I notice that Sorolla, who was listed as 6'11 last year, is listed this year at 7'0"; add this to Smits at 7'2". I looked into past rosters and couldn't find another Valpo team that had two players officially listed as 7-footers. I found seasons where one player was 7'0" and another 6'11"; I wonder if this is the first time we had a pair of players officially listed as 7-footers—and both are only sophomores!

Keep these guys on the weights. I know we want to do well in this first season in the MVC, but these guys are only sophs. Bulk them up through the season. Accept the bricks and clumsiness this season while they are on the weights (but they are still 7 footers) and look forward to their next two years together.