• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

[tweet]859529819524136960[/tweet]
[tweet]859530675157962754[/tweet]

M

I'd like to see them get someone who is real familiar with NWI and Chicagoland. Someone with a lot of connections who doesn't necessarily have to have professional playing experience.  Valpo has done better recruiting NWI and Chicago, but I feel like there is a near endless supply of D1 level kids around here.  Having a younger local guy with those connections could really help.

valpo4life

Tevonn is returning to school, per Rothstein and Goodman

bigmosmithfan1

Huge. Tevonn has been the most underrated piece of our success the past three years IMO, and I'm so happy to get a chance to see him as the senior leader on the team.

VU2014

Not surprise he's returning but good he got feedback.  Lottich mentioned he fully expects him back at Valpo next season (not transferring).

The NBA scouts like his athleticism but said they want to see better shooting. Hopefully he works on that this summer.

If Tevonn could add a consistent outside jump shot then he'd honestly be a Horizon League Player of the Year candidate.

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/859810135690051585
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/859810511407517696

M

Yeah, ya know, or whatever conference the team ends up playing in.  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: M on May 03, 2017, 12:13:03 PM
Yeah, ya know, or whatever conference the team ends up playing in.  ;D

Personally I like Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year, better.

valpotx

It would be stupid for him to transfer, as I have to believe we would know if he is graduating by now. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on May 03, 2017, 11:58:01 AM

The NBA scouts like his athleticism but said they want to see better shooting. Hopefully he works on that this summer.

If Tevonn could add a consistent outside jump shot then he'd honestly be a Horizon League Player of the Year candidate.

Tevonn shot 29% from 3-pt range this year. I'd like to see him return to the 35% he shot his freshman year or even higher. I hope witnessing the terrific work ethic of Alec has influenced Tevonn.

M

Alec's work ethic surely rubbed off on the rest. I think his dedication to Valpo in that he returned without seemingly giving it a second thought is equally important and contagious to the guys remaining and potentially those in the future.

VULB#62

Quote from: M on May 04, 2017, 09:39:33 PM
Alec's work ethic surely rubbed off on the rest. I think his dedication to Valpo in that he returned without seemingly giving it a second thought is equally important and contagious to the guys remaining and potentially those in the future.

That.

FieldGoodie05

Where is the official announcement and signed paperwork from Germany?

VU2014

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2016-17/17383/linssen-joins-valpo-basketball-family/#.WRY78_ryv-Z

Linssen Joins Valpo Basketball Family
Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Valparaiso University men's basketball head coach Matt Lottich announced today that the Crusaders are adding to their tradition of welcoming international players to the program, as Marten Linssen, a 6'8" forward from Dusseldorf, Germany, has signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Crusader program as a freshman for the 2017-18 season.

"We are extremely excited to add Marten to the Valpo basketball family," said Lottich. "Marten is an extremely motivated young man who really has a strong desire to compete. Marten is unique in that he is very light on his feet for a young man his size. He has great touch around the basket and loves to rebound. We expect a bright future in a Valpo uniform for Marten."

Linssen comes to Valpo having most recently played for Bayer Giants Leverkusen in Germany, splitting time between their Pro B league squad and their youth team in the NBBL. Linssen was a member of the NBBL All-Star Team this past season, averaging 12.8 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, and posted 4.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in action with the Pro B team. Linssen's head coach at Bayer Giants Leverkusen is Achim Kuczmann, who coached Lottich when he played in Germany for Giants Dusseldorf.

As has been the case with many of the Crusaders' overseas recruits over the years, Linssen brings experience playing at the highest levels of international basketball as well. He was a member of the u18 German national team at the 2016 u18 European Championships, joining a talented frontcourt to help Germany place fourth. Among his teammates on the u18 squad was Isaiah Hartenstein, a projected first-round pick in this year's NBA draft.

Linssen is set to be the sixth new face on the court for the Crusaders next season, joining fellow incoming freshmen Mileek McMillan and Parker Hazen, junior college transfer Markus Golder and eligible transfers Joe Burton and Bakari Evelyn. In addition, Ryan Fazekas is joining the program as well, but will be sitting out next season due to NCAA transfer regulations.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 12, 2017, 05:50:02 PM
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2016-17/17383/linssen-joins-valpo-basketball-family/#.WRY78_ryv-Z

Linssen Joins Valpo Basketball Family
Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Valparaiso University men's basketball head coach Matt Lottich announced today that the Crusaders are adding to their tradition of welcoming international players to the program, as Marten Linssen, a 6'8" forward from Dusseldorf, Germany, has signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Crusader program as a freshman for the 2017-18 season.

"We are extremely excited to add Marten to the Valpo basketball family," said Lottich. "Marten is an extremely motivated young man who really has a strong desire to compete. Marten is unique in that he is very light on his feet for a young man his size. He has great touch around the basket and loves to rebound. We expect a bright future in a Valpo uniform for Marten."

Linssen comes to Valpo having most recently played for Bayer Giants Leverkusen in Germany, splitting time between their Pro B league squad and their youth team in the NBBL. Linssen was a member of the NBBL All-Star Team this past season, averaging 12.8 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, and posted 4.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in action with the Pro B team. Linssen's head coach at Bayer Giants Leverkusen is Achim Kuczmann, who coached Lottich when he played in Germany for Giants Dusseldorf.

As has been the case with many of the Crusaders' overseas recruits over the years, Linssen brings experience playing at the highest levels of international basketball as well. He was a member of the u18 German national team at the 2016 u18 European Championships, joining a talented frontcourt to help Germany place fourth. Among his teammates on the u18 squad was Isaiah Hartenstein, a projected first-round pick in this year's NBA draft.

Linssen is set to be the sixth new face on the court for the Crusaders next season, joining fellow incoming freshmen Mileek McMillan and Parker Hazen, junior college transfer Markus Golder and eligible transfers Joe Burton and Bakari Evelyn. In addition, Ryan Fazekas is joining the program as well, but will be sitting out next season due to NCAA transfer regulations.

There it is!!!

SanityLost17

I think the success of next year's team comes down to the development of our centers.  If sorolla/Smits get better, we are in great shape.  If they don't, we are in trouble.  We will not be a great 3 point shooting team.  These guys need open looks to hit consistently.  That means we need a legit post presence.  Without one I forsee a very stagnant offense unless the coaching staffs long term vision is to recruit athletes and become a run and gun full court press, 2nd chance points sort of team.

valpotx

The MVC fans forum seems to indicate that the conference is a 'big man's league,' though there are some dissenters.  Hopefully that will be to our benefit, with our height!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 13, 2017, 08:47:15 AM
I think the success of next year's team comes down to the development of our centers.  If sorolla/Smits get better, we are in great shape.  If they don't, we are in trouble.  We will not be a great 3 point shooting team.  These guys need open looks to hit consistently.  That means we need a legit post presence.  Without one I forsee a very stagnant offense unless the coaching staffs long term vision is to recruit athletes and become a run and gun full court press, 2nd chance points sort of team.
The Bigs will improve, their main deficiency is a lack of intensity and focus.  I think it is too early to judge the 3 point shooting capabilities of the team.  Walker's best year from 3 was as a freshman and I would hope with the emphasis placed by the NBA on improved shooting, that someone will help him keep his lower body quiet and in position when shooting.  Joe Burton was a 40% 3 point shooter at OSU and the sample size on Bakari's ability is very small... so hard to tell if he will be a factor from 3.  My main concern is the PG position.  Can Bakari, Micah and Max perform at point well enough to keep us from duplicating last years Shane Hammink point forward experiment with Joe Burton? Burton appears to be able to handle the ball better than Shane, but I would really prefer to have someone else setting the offense and  distributing the rock.  The pressure to score will fall mainly to Walker and Burton, lets hope that we can get the ball to them and the Bigs in position to slash and score.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

A really interesting story by Paul about Milt Schoon from the "worlds tallest" team. I really enjoy Paul's Bumpers audio clips. Give it a listen.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/863479703365193728

wh

Gordo: Missouri State poised for hoops breakthrough
By Jeff Gordon St. Louis Post-Dispatch  6 hrs ago

"Newcomer Valparaiso will be factor in next season's race, as will Northern Iowa. Both are traditional mid-major powers capable of furthering the Valley brand."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordo-missouri-state-poised-for-hoops-breakthrough/article_222b9670-c140-5b90-b53b-6b9edeec538e.html

vu72

Quote from: wh on May 20, 2017, 06:48:30 AM
Gordo: Missouri State poised for hoops breakthrough
By Jeff Gordon St. Louis Post-Dispatch  6 hrs ago

"Newcomer Valparaiso will be factor in next season's race, as will Northern Iowa. Both are traditional mid-major powers capable of furthering the Valley brand."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordo-missouri-state-poised-for-hoops-breakthrough/article_222b9670-c140-5b90-b53b-6b9edeec538e.html

It sounds like Missouri State will be loaded. I found it interesting that the reporter said that Greg Williams was "arguably the top recruit of the Lusk era"  ESPN has him as a 3 Star.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186438/greg-williams
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/866054542542200832

Valparaiso men's basketball trio heads to Europe through Athletes in Action
Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune
May 20, 2017

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-athletes-in-action-st-0521-20170522-story.html

Bradford's first college season was a learning experience. The freshman guard appeared in all 33 games, including 11 starts, with all 11 coming in Horizon League play. He averaged 4.0 points in 14.0 minutes.

Bradford has been focusing on adding size to his 150-pound frame, finishing at the rim and refining his shot.

"The biggest part is just staying ready for anything that happens," Bradford said. "Obviously we had injury and other problems, and I wasn't playing much at the beginning of the season, then I was in the starting lineup. You have to be ready for anything."

Smits was ready to play with the Dutch national team, traveling to China and throughout Europe. But when the games in China fell through, he jumped at the chance with Athletes in Action.

"Getting time on the court instead of sitting on the sideline was good for my growth," Smits said. "You figure out what works, what doesn't work, instead of just trying to eyeball everything."

Smits has been working on improving his athleticism, rebounding, using his off-hand, passing and extending his shooting range.

"Getting more games is really good," Smits said. "You can do individual stuff, but nothing beats playing with a team and going against other competitors."

VU2014

Pretty big MVC news. Missouri States best player Alize Johnson will withdraw from the NBA Draft.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/866647386910752768

Its a big week for college basketball. Players have until Wednesday to withdraw from the NBA Draft and return to school.

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/866413460950704129

One interesting note is that Purdue's Caleb Swanigan and Vince Edwards have still not signed with an agent yet in the draft and Purdue currently has -1 scholarships available for the class of 2017. They 2017 signed recruits include: Aaron Wheeler (SF), Nojel Eastern (SG), and former Valpo recruit Sasha Stefanovic (SG).

So looks like someone will need to red-shirt next year... possibly Sasha Stefanovic if Vince Edwards comes back to school (which many believe is likely at this point) and Purdue is pretty hot on the recruiting trailing on a few players like Romeo Langford (SG) 5-star, Eric Hunter Jr. 4-star (SG),  Isaiah Thompson (SG) little brother of current Purdue player P.J. Thompson. There is going to be some very stiff competition at the SG minutes going forward...

Also interesting because we play Purdue next season. Purdue will already be a really tough game, but if Swanigan comes back then it will be even more tough.

VULB#62

Re: Sasha:  If it is true that Purdue is at -1 if Edwards returns, and Sasha winds up being the odd man out, will he not have to redshirt as a walk-on and have to pay his own way?  And if that is the case, why not simply not enroll.  That would give him 4 seasons of elegibility in 5 years beginning the following year -- the fall of 1918.