• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2017-18

Started by VU2014, August 18, 2017, 04:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

E'Ville and UNI are a tossup for their Thursday match up.  MO State has a 13.6 gap on us in our game.  But you know what they (whoever "they" are) say -- the hardest thing to do is win three in a row.  Interesting that if we beat MO State, we are seen to have a better chance to get to the semis than either E'Ville or UNI.  Am I reading this right?

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on February 22, 2018, 03:04:36 PM
If we think back a few years to Cory Johnson, we also had an undersized center who played the five out of necessity.  Cory would school guys like the kid from Butler, Andrew Smith (God rest his soul) who was way bigger but also way slower.  We need to continually work to find plays that take advantage of our size, not just have 7 footers running screens at the top of the key.

Cory, along with Brandon Wood, Ryan B. and Peters put up some of the best individual offensive stats in the Horizon League.  No wonder that Valpo dominated the Horizon for so many years.

They'll need to find their next big superstar to climb to the top of the MVC.  I don't know if that player is on the roster yet ... maybe Fazekas is that guy.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 25, 2018, 04:09:29 PM
E'Ville and UNI are a tossup for their Thursday match up.  MO State has a 13.6 gap on us in our game.  But you know what they (whoever "they" are) say -- the hardest thing to do is win three in a row.  Interesting that if we beat MO State, we are seen to have a better chance to get to the semis than either E'Ville or UNI.  Am I reading this right?

On the bright side we're playing better basketball since the last time we player Missouri State.

VULB#62

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 25, 2018, 05:50:58 PM
If we think back a few years to Cory Johnson, we also had an undersized center who played the five out of necessity.  Cory would school guys like the kid from Butler, Andrew Smith (God rest his soul) who was way bigger but also way slower.  We need to continually work to find plays that take advantage of our size, not just have 7 footers running screens at the top of the key.

Cory, along with Brandon Wood, Ryan B. and Peters put up some of the best individual offensive stats in the Horizon League.  No wonder that Valpo dominated the Horizon for so many years.

They'll need to find their next big superstar to climb to the top of the MVC.  I don't know if that player is on the roster yet ... maybe Fazekas is that guy.

In the meantime, Marcus?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 25, 2018, 07:20:17 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on February 25, 2018, 05:50:58 PM

In the meantime, Marcus?

Marcus and Bakari can play.  Though I give the edge to Marcus because he's an all around player.

If Fazekas plays as well as either of those players we should be Top 5 next year with all the graduation of seniors in the league.  I'm dreaming anyway!

VULB#62

With Marcus, Bakari and Fazekas we have three of the pieces. IMO, our continued success is dependent on (1) the development of Derrik and Jay. Without them as offensive threats, rebounders and rim protectors, we are just OK. Somehow for 2019/20 we need to sign a 6'10"+ Vashil/ KVW. (2) finding a great PG from among  our new recruits. I wonder where Jevon will fit in all this. This team needs a Buggs or Keith. Oh, and BTW we need another Alec.  ;)

M

So you're saying there's a chance!

VULB#62

Yeah. If dreams come true.

Strength  in the paint @ the 5 (both on O and D  ::) ) [that can happen with a lot of weights and work]
+
A good 3 pt threat [Ryan is in the wings waiting]
+
Scoring from the 2 [Bakari]
+
Great athleticism and scoring from our 3 [Marcus]
+
A true PG  who distributes, drives and dishes, and scores outside when left open [TBD]

And Great D by everyone [not an issue, that is the Valpo Way].

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 25, 2018, 08:19:50 PM
With Marcus, Bakari and Fazekas we have three of the pieces. IMO, our continued success is dependent on (1) the development of Derrik and Jay. Without them as offensive threats, rebounders and rim protectors, we are just OK. Somehow for 2019/20 we need to sign a 6'10"+ Vashil/ KVW. (2) finding a great PG from among  our new recruits. I wonder where Jevon will fit in all this. This team needs a Buggs or Keith. Oh, and BTW we need another Alec.  ;)

Um, have you been paying attention??   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Yes. Every recruit is an IF until the season starts and the ball hits the hardwood.  Cases in point:  two really good players on our roster who turned out not to be that true PG that we really needed. Jevon might be capable of lighting it up, but will he do so at D-I and where do you play him and still get the balance you need? The Canadian kid might be the role filler that makes a difference. It all has to play out until November.  Now, if Jevon is the next Alec, all bets are off.

nkvu

Vashil made significant improvement between his sophomore and junior seasons. If one or both of our 5s improve anywhere near as much we will be ok there. We will need a big improvement from our 4s both on offense and defense and a great point guard to really compete with the top teams. Fingers crossed that the kid from Canada can fill that bill. A lot to hope for in a freshman.

usc4valpo

I am not sure of the Vegas odds of winning the conference tournament, but if the odds for Valpo is 20-1 or higher I would take it. Valpo can beat anyone in the Valley and strange things happen in conference tournaments.

vu72

Found this on the Valpo Athletic site.  THE ULTIMATE SPIN!!

The Crusaders are the 10th seed for Arch Madness after posting a 6-12 record in their first season of MVC play, matching the most wins by a 10th-place team since the conference expanded to 10 programs.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

thats a nice warm fuzzy coimpliment

nkvu

I think they call it putting lipstick on a pig.

Or more politely, damning with faint praise.

Hrtnfldhse

Tickets still available     Make me an offer.   Live in Champaign IL.  Can meet me on your way down to Arch Madness

crusadermoe

I will take the tickets if you also give me $25.    ;)

bbtds

I'm not sure which is more likely, a facilities upgrade planned in the next 5 years or getting all those recruits in the next 5 years.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on February 26, 2018, 11:28:31 AM
I'm not sure which is more likely, a facilities upgrade planned in the next 5 years or getting all those recruits in the next 5 years.

Valpo89

Don't expect Micah to be on this trip.

Billy Co

Make that 2 open scholarship for next season.

VUGrad1314

Is he hurt? Sick? Contemplating a transfer?

elephtheria47

And it just got even tougher

Valpo89

VUGrad1314