• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2020

Started by VU2014, October 26, 2017, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4throwfan

1314, I disagree with that.  "Fine" should not be good enough.  Satisfaction with 2nd or 3rd option should not be "fine." 

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but trying to have more of an urgent sense of getting to the top of the league.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 06, 2020, 08:39:51 AM1314, I disagree with that.  "Fine" should not be good enough.  Satisfaction with 2nd or 3rd option should not be "fine." Not trying to sound like a jerk, but trying to have more of an urgent sense of getting to the top of the league.

Let me clarify: That is the minimum benchmark he needs to hit. Fit in with the apparent rising stars we already have and contribute. Obviously we want expect and demand more from him that he takes charge and becomes a JFL caliber player right away. I'm just saying there's a minimum goal and what we all should want and expect and they aren't the same thing. Getting to the top of the league is our most urgent pressing concern but it won't be easy when you look at the other rosters. That's just a fact. That said, we need to find a way to do it to keep the program running and relevant.

valpo95

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 06, 2020, 08:39:51 AM
1314, I disagree with that.  "Fine" should not be good enough.  Satisfaction with 2nd or 3rd option should not be "fine." 

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but trying to have more of an urgent sense of getting to the top of the league.

Let's not forget that this young man has yet to play one minute of college basketball. He'll be on a team that has some established and up and coming players, one of whom is already an all conference performer. Thus, for a freshman to be the 2nd or 3rd option is very reasonable.

4throwfan

Quote from: valpo95 on March 06, 2020, 09:07:17 AM

Let's not forget that this young man has yet to play one minute of college basketball. He'll be on a team that has some established and up and coming players, one of whom is already an all conference performer. Thus, for a freshman to be the 2nd or 3rd option is very reasonable.

I can agree to an extent, but I'd rather have a roster of Clay's and Krikke's than Freese-Villen's.  I guess I'm just looking more for a pressuring mindset. 

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 05, 2020, 06:41:20 PM
All he has to do is be a good second or third option and fit in well with JFL Clay and Krikke. if he can do that we're going to be fine.

Realistically I would be tickled to death to have him duplicate what Krikke has done. I am cautiously expecting Jacob to contribute slightly less.

FWalum

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 06, 2020, 09:17:24 AM

I can agree to an extent, but I'd rather have a roster of Clay's and Krikke's than Freese-Villen's.  I guess I'm just looking more for a pressuring mindset. 
I think that we are very lucky to have 2 of what I would call exceptional freshman this year. Finding just one recruit per year that has the potential to be a starter 3 out of the 4 (hopefully) years they are in your program is really killing it on the recruiting trail.  The 2019 recruiting class has gone above and beyond what I expected.  In evaluating Krikke last year from some of the highlights we saw, I thought he might struggle with the speed of the US college game, but I think he is quicker than I had thought and has adjusted very well as the season progressed. Don't have to talk much about Clay, his play speaks for him. I think the the 2020 class has similar potential. Sheldon Edwards appears to be just a flat out scorer who, much like JFL and Clay, enjoys playing hard nose defense and has an extra year of maturity. We know about Jacob Ognacevic's achievements, but we really don't know about his potential. Is he even close to Sam Dekker (the player his coach and others have compared him)? If he is just 75% of Sam Dekker we probably have a good MVC player. The interesting question mark really is Connor Barrett. Not much out there this year with him playing at Brewster Academy (one of the top Basketball Prep Schools, last years national prep champions) with a bunch of high major recruits. The things we do know is that he has grown 3 inches in the last 18 months, has taken this year to get more mature and has a great looking stroke with a quick release. I can't help but think that he and Edwards come into the program next year more ready to play at this level because of the extra year. I agree with Tarrance Price and Chris Sparks' improving assessment of the program and these 2020 recruits appear to be another step in the right direction.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

4throwfan

Quote from: FWalum on March 06, 2020, 12:03:42 PM
Quote from: 4throwfan on March 06, 2020, 09:17:24 AM

I think that we are very lucky to have 2 of what I would call exceptional freshman this year. Finding just one recruit per year that has the potential to be a starter 3 out of the 4 (hopefully) years they are in your program is really killing it on the recruiting trail.  The 2019 recruiting class has gone above and beyond what I expected.  In evaluating Krikke last year from some of the highlights we saw, I thought he might struggle with the speed of the US college game, but I think he is quicker than I had thought and has adjusted very well as the season progressed. Don't have to talk much about Clay, his play speaks for him. I think the the 2020 class has similar potential. Sheldon Edwards appears to be just a flat out scorer who, much like JFL and Clay, enjoys playing hard nose defense and has an extra year of maturity. We know about Jacob Ognacevic's achievements, but we really don't know about his potential. Is he even close to Sam Dekker (the player his coach and others have compared him)? If he is just 75% of Sam Dekker we probably have a good MVC player. The interesting question mark really is Connor Barrett. Not much out there this year with him playing at Brewster Academy (one of the top Basketball Prep Schools, last years national prep champions) with a bunch of high major recruits. The things we do know is that he has grown 3 inches in the last 18 months, has taken this year to get more mature and has a great looking stroke with a quick release. I can't help but think that he and Edwards come into the program next year more ready to play at this level because of the extra year. I agree with Tarrance Price and Chris Sparks' improving assessment of the program and these 2020 recruits appear to be another step in the right direction.

I think we're all on the same page:

1.  We want all current eligible players to stay, develop, and get better.  They are a group of guys that we enjoy watching, top to bottom.  And, they are great ambassadors for the program.
2.  The incoming class seems to have a lot of promise.  Incredible scoring chops. All are excited to see them come in.
3.  1 + 2 = continuous improvement for the team, such that we can and should expect continually increasing win percentage and funner games to watch going forward.

JD24

From what I saw in this kid's highlights he certainly has pretty good basic skillsets. When I first read about him, I thought he just might simply be a guy who was so much larger than everyone he played that he was just a bunch of dunks which won't translate to the next level. However he's got good hands, appears to have pretty good game awareness, can shoot a little and didn't seem at all uncomfortable outside the arc.

I actually can see the comparisons to Peters some are making in some aspects of their respective games. I just think Peters was more polished, a better shooter and played against(I think) a higher level.

Definitely should be a freshman contributor and maybe moreso than Krikke.

GoVU

News that was maybe lost in the fervor of the weekend...

vu72

Quote from: GoVU on March 09, 2020, 02:51:46 PM
News that was maybe lost in the fervor of the weekend...

Fortunately for Jacob, he got one more game in before they called off the rest of the tournament.  He  scored 32 so now is one of three players in Wisconsin history to score 1000 point in a season.  He also had 17 boards so he finished the year leading the state in scoring and finished second in rebounding.  In spite of being from a small school, he has to be a leading candidate for Mr. Basketball even if he isn't going to Wisconsin. Sam Dekker won it in 2012 and he went to the same small school.  He did however sign with Wisconsin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/high-school-thursdays-sports-results/ar-BB117E59

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpo84 on March 13, 2020, 03:50:04 PM
An additional year of eligibility for our seniors?  Spring sports athletes too?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28898928/ncaa-discuss-granting-athletes-eligibility-relief
So how would this affect incoming frosh?  Would they increase the number of scholarships? Playing time would be split between five classes of students?

Beamin' Beacons

justducky

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28898928/ncaa-discuss-granting-athletes-eligibility-relief

Unworkable. I see no way this could benefit honor bound mid major programs and coaches.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on March 13, 2020, 05:37:54 PM

Unworkable. I see no way this could benefit honor bound mid major programs and coaches.

Kiser is done so at best it would be Fazekas (one player).

M

It's ridiculous that they'd even consider granting the winter athletes another year. Now the spring athletes...that's a different story.

FieldGoodie05

VUGrad1314

Wow! That is shocking! They are usually a very stable program.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 14, 2020, 03:03:10 PMWow! That is shocking! They are usually a very stable program.

ISWYDT
:rotfl:

VUGrad1314

I wasn't 100% TRYING to be funny there (okay maybe a little) but it just worked out that way.  ;D :thumbsup:

valpotx

Josh Hall shows as transferring from Missouri State
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

That's not good for the Bears. He's replaceable but that's a player you'd certainly prefer to keep if you can. I doubt we'll see many updates given that recruiting is suspended until April 15th.

VU2014

Random thought. We should have Steven Helm back next season as a walk-on. He's going to comeback from his Mormon Mission. He probably hasn't played basketbball much the last 2 years but it should still be nice to have a mature voice in the locker-room and someone who will compete in practice. Plus it's a bonus that he's a local kid.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on March 15, 2020, 01:31:00 PMRandom thought. We should have Steven Helm back next season as a walk-on. He's going to comeback from his Mormon Mission. He probably hasn't played basketbball much the last 2 years but it should still be nice to have a mature voice in the locker-room and someone who will compete in practice. Plus it's a bonus that he's a local kid.

He's also supposedly an AMAZING foul shooter. Put him in when we need to ice games!

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 15, 2020, 05:59:42 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 15, 2020, 01:31:00 PMRandom thought. We should have Steven Helm back next season as a walk-on. He's going to comeback from his Mormon Mission. He probably hasn't played basketbball much the last 2 years but it should still be nice to have a mature voice in the locker-room and someone who will compete in practice. Plus it's a bonus that he's a local kid.
He's also supposedly an AMAZING foul shooter. Put him in when we need to ice games!

I would not expect much at all from him. He is an excellent free throw shooter, but remember he spent one season already with Valpo and barely saw the court. Don't see him having much more than a few minutes next season. Hopefully he will contribute greatly in practice.   

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 15, 2020, 06:22:07 PM

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 15, 2020, 05:59:42 PM

I would not expect much at all from him. He is an excellent free throw shooter, but remember he spent one season already with Valpo and barely saw the court. Don't see him having much more than a few minutes next season. Hopefully he will contribute greatly in practice.   
I think he was a redshirt the one year with Valpo. He last played in 2016-17 at Carroll in Montana.