• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #27 Valpo @ Drake 2/16 2:00pm CST on ESPN3

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 15, 2019, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 01:10:50 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2019, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 09:33:23 AMTwo years ago: Started 19-4 Finished 5-5 Last year: Started: 8-0 Finished: 7-17 This year (conference play) Started: 5-1 Since: 1-7 Say what you will about injuries conference transitions etc but this is a really disturbing pattern emerging (and it's now working its way into individual games with some of the meltdowns we've had) I'm starting to believe that Lottich simply can't finish. He'll get us going with a fantastic start and then right as everyone reaches peak excitement and enthusiasm the bottom drops out and it's goodbye season.
Your data is as inconsistent as this team!!! Point taken...

Take your smug self-righteousness someplace else. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with it.It doesn't matter that I choose to highlight different portions of the season when they prove this very worrisome point.

I feel sorry and saddened that basically from the day I joined this community you have chosen me and my posts as your own personal whipping post to take all your anger and vitriol out on. Until recently I largely ignored it but now here we are again and most likely all because I rightly called you out on that asinine comment you made a game or two ago. I never set out to be anybody's lightning rod or to sow discord among the fanbase. Find another poster to project onto. I can't and won't fill that role for you anymore. 

You guys are 2 of an elite group of highly knowledgeable, millennial posting rock stars on this board (not kidding), along with 2014, 2010, '05 and a few others (don't mean to leave anyone out). Take a deep breath. Give each other the respect you both want and deserve for yourself. You're going to be together for a LONG time.  :)

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 17, 2019, 01:52:08 PM
Ummm...  i think the latest twist in this string provides a very strong arguement for the use of a vauable  tool available to this forum:  PMs are a good way to sort things out without dragging the rest of the forum members into an indididual conflict. Jusy my  :twocents:

Yes! I have used them to express anger, concern even conspiring for some toung in cheek levity. The best rule of thumb is always to say nothing that you wouldn't say face to face. After barking back and forth the air clears, respect grows and restraint follows.

VU2010

Trying to figure out how I'm a millenial? Because of VU2010? News to me.

crusadermoe

Reality check.   We were playing on the road against a hot well-coached team.   Their coach is COY. 

I'm not a basketball technician, but they seemed to execute very well.   think they will be a solid MVC favorite next year until proven otherwise when Custer and Townes graduate.  That 7'0" freshman center played very well and McClown makes things happen without mistakes.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2019, 01:26:44 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 09:33:23 AMTwo years ago: Started 19-4 Finished 5-5 Last year: Started: 8-0 Finished: 7-17 This year (conference play) Started: 5-1 Since: 1-7 Say what you will about injuries conference transitions etc but this is a really disturbing pattern emerging (and it's now working its way into individual games with some of the meltdowns we've had) I'm starting to believe that Lottich simply can't finish. He'll get us going with a fantastic start and then right as everyone reaches peak excitement and enthusiasm the bottom drops out and it's goodbye season.
Take your smug self-righteousness someplace else. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with it.It doesn't matter that I choose to highlight different portions of the season when they prove this very worrisome point. I feel sorry and saddened that basically from the day I joined this community you have chosen me and my posts as your own personal whipping post to take all your anger and vitriol out on. Until recently I largely ignored it but now here we are again and most likely all because I rightly called you out on that asinine comment you made a game or two ago. I never set out to be anybody's lightning rod or to sow discord among the fanbase. Find another poster to project onto. I can't and won't fill that role for you anymore.
We all have different opinions.  You are a strong advocate for VU and I appreciate that.  Think I've said that many times.

You're right That which can be chalked up to difference in opinion should not be taken personally and I'll try not to take things that way so much (It's how I've always been so in a way I'm projecting too and it's hard to break longstanding patterns). I know you're a strong advocate for VU as well. Anyone who would log as much time and as many posts into a  fan board would have to be. If you're pro VU You're all right with me.

NativeCheesehead

It's year one with a rag tag roster under Drake's coach. They could be a powerhouse in the making.

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 17, 2019, 10:05:34 AM
I have not read any posts and I didn't even watch the game.   Too many other things going on in my life.   But a quick look at the standings tells me Valpo still controls its own destiny for the 5 seed. 

Thats right, if we win out we are guaranteed the 5 seed and most likely would be the 4 seed as ILLSt would likely lose at least 1 more.   How you ask?  Because winning out would mean a sweep of IllSt, Bradley, SIU, and UNI and we would have a tie breaker on all 4.   

Now I realize that is not much solace considering our chances of winning our last 4 games is about 2%.   But hey, it is something...yayyyyy.....Sometimes "so you are saying there is a chance" is the only way to make it through the day.   haha   

Don't forget how streaky they have been and if they can get on the winning side we could go 4 in a row.

I did think the losing streak would have turned over to the winning ways by now, though.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on February 17, 2019, 02:16:51 PM
Take your smug self-righteousness someplace else. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with it.It doesn't matter that I choose to highlight different portions of the season when they prove this very worrisome point. I feel sorry and saddened that basically from the day I joined this community you have chosen me and my posts as your own personal whipping post to take all your anger and vitriol out on. Until recently I largely ignored it but now here we are again and most likely all because I rightly called you out on that asinine comment you made a game or two ago. I never set out to be anybody's lightning rod or to sow discord among the fanbase. Find another poster to project onto. I can't and won't fill that role for you anymore.
You guys are 2 of an elite group of highly knowledgeable, millennial posting rock stars on this board (not kidding), along with 2014, 2010, '05 and a few others (don't mean to leave anyone out). Take a deep breath. Give each other the respect you both want and deserve for yourself. You're going to be together for a LONG time. :)

This means a lot coming from you. I really mean that. You're one of the most respected posters on this board and to be honest someone I really look up to as a poster.(I've never met you or anyone on this board but I'm sure you're all pretty cool and I would love to have the chance to meet and talk with some of you at the games) And that goes for a lot of the longer-tenured members here. You all laid the foundation for what we as Valpo fans must protect defend and continue to build and I take that very seriously. Here's (hopefully) to the next great chapter in Valpo Basketball.

wh

Quote from: VU2010 on February 17, 2019, 02:33:29 PM
Trying to figure out how I'm a millenial? Because of VU2010? News to me.

I'm assuming 2010 was your graduation year, and that you were a "traditional" 18-22 aged student while in school. If that doesn't apply to you, please disregard my comment about you being a posting rock star.  ;)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 02:49:03 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2019, 01:26:44 PM
We all have different opinions.  You are a strong advocate for VU and I appreciate that.  Think I've said that many times.

You're right That which can be chalked up to difference in opinion should not be taken personally and I'll try not to take things that way so much (It's how I've always been so in a way I'm projecting too and it's hard to break longstanding patterns). I know you're a strong advocate for VU as well. Anyone who would log as much time and as many posts into a  fan board would have to be. If you're pro VU You're all right with me.
🤘🏻

NativeCheesehead

Just to avoid drama, I would like to state I dislike you all equally.

VU2014

I think if Valpo Basketball started winning it would ease a lot of the angst and tension on this board.  :thumbsup:

"Help us Math Lottich, ...

jloose128

Some of us "highly knowledgeable millennial rock stars" like myself don't post on here because of all of this drama and pessimism.

That being said, there's still time to pull this thing together this year but it's not going to happen magically.

VUGrad1314

Add Happening Hoops to the unhappy chorus of voices. I'm guessing he won't be sitting down with Coach Lottich on his radio show anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1096924910855831553

SanityLost17

2 overtime home loses (MoSt/IndSt) and and a last 7 minute home meltdown (Loyola).   

That is how close we are to being at the top of the league (albeit losing the tie-breaker with Drake)...In a conference where every team is shockingly equal on talent.

Yes, we have talent, but so does everyone else.  Yes, Lottich obviously has problems with offensive strategy, but we have seen he can be a great defensive coach.  All 3 loses were upsetting but going to Twitter to bash the program before the season is over only hurts the program further. 

VUGrad1314

Yes, but what worries me is that these failures are starting to feel like a trend and once that gets into the players' heads only a change in leadership can save it. Since our 8-0 start last year we are 11 games under .500 (20-31) 12-20 in conference with 10 home losses. We had 10 home losses over a  4 year period before this. 6 of which came in 13-14. Tougher conference injuries whatever it's really hard to dress those numbers up and make them look good. Good gritty  teams find ways to win not ways to lose and good coaches finish. Three consecutive choke jobs on our home floor is unacceptable by any program at any level. Even in an even league with even talent home court advantage should count for something and 1-7 through 8 games should never happen.

FieldGoodie05

FieldGoodie05

There are some solid points about multiple OT games and other tight contests.  I think it's been 4 of the last 6 with solid outings by our guys.  The disheartening games being @ Drake and @ Evansville with poor execution.  The sub-par effort on defense is the most maddening and I just hope that funk can be cleaned/removed from this team.  There is no doubt we have the talent to compete in this league, but defensive execution truly is an issue.  I personally agree with Lottich that defensive stops lead to more efficient (fast break even) offense.  Because when we focus strictly on entry passes into the post we are just so stagnant on the perimeter (with immediate doubling of TO King Smits, some his fault many that are not).

That being said I wanted to get opinions on our bigs.  It just seems that our perimeter defense has been better this year and that the massive minutes by (offensive talented) Smits is really deflating.  As someone posted earlier, how many reverse layups and easy cutting layups can this Valpo team give up.  To be fair, not all are on Smits, Sorolla helps a ton but our G aren't defending the slashers OR we are in the wrong defense to defend (maybe both). 

I know that I am a bit one-sided on Smits, but I am not altogether certain that his offense makes up for his defense WHEN GUARDING QUICKER PLAYERS.

Anyone else think coaches comments about "going back to the drawing board" (besides cliche and redundant for this years team) might include Sorolla or McMillan in the starting line-up again?  Maybe we stop these maddening POST ONLY offensive strategies and start to move the ball around the perimeter rather than dribble it around the perimeter.

As much as I'd love to just let McMillan play some crazy minutes to get ready for the future . . . I think the future still needs to be with Sorolla and Smits.  It just frustrates me greatly knowing that we can't "run" (as Oklahomamick non-stop begs for haha) with either of those bigs in the game.

usc4valpo

Drake has some momentum going. They are recruiting better, the school has some very decent programs and Des Moines is becoming a popular and believe it or not trendy place to live.

I think Valpo should look at the Knapp Center as a baseline if they ever want to improve their facilities. It's a decent place to watch hoop.

NativeCheesehead

At this point I'd support a full ribbon cutting and press conference if they ever add an extra urinal in the men's room.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2019, 08:17:09 PMAt this point I'd support a full ribbon cutting and press conference if they ever add an extra urinal in the men's room.

Well the fan base is pretty pissed right now... 

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 08:37:03 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2019, 08:17:09 PMAt this point I'd support a full ribbon cutting and press conference if they ever add an extra urinal in the men's room.

Well the fan base is pretty pissed right now... 

tiny707

I like Freeman, Sackey, Golder, McMillian, and Sorolla for starters Wednesday at this point.

VUGrad1314

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 10:32:05 PM
How severe is Sackey's injury?

I think in Coach Lottich's postgame comments he said he didn't think it was a significant injury. So I'm assuming it wasn't as bad as Golder and Fazekas' but that's pure speculation on my part. Hopefully he plays. He plays great on ball defense and get up in the offensive players grill when he's out there.

One thing that I've been noticing is that opposing teams are starting to actively look out to post up Sackey and it's been working. It's going to be a challenge going forward that he's going to have to learn to adjust to. It's probably going to take some solid team defense to help bail Sackey out of those situations.

Any update on Kiser's "lower body" hockey injury? I was looking at him on the bench during the game and I didn't see a boot or brace. Anyone hear what the injury was?