• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders at No.22 Loyola, Wed., 2/17/21, 7p CT

Started by wh, February 16, 2021, 04:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Let next year be the year Matt Lottich proves me and the rest of his doubters and detractors wrong. And Let next year be the year that he proves MLB's faith in him was well-placed! I will happily admit that I was wrong when he shows me the evidence that I was. Show me that evidence Matt! Next year should be the year. We certainly have the talent on the roster and coming in to finally do it, especially since there will be a changing of the guard of sorts in the MVC with the schools we've gotten used to seeing at or near the top possibly descending just a little bit. The opportunity is there Matt just has to capitalize on it. Go Valpo!

valpotx

Great game plan heading into this one.  It was evident that we were not going to let Krutwig beat us, so we were willingly giving up an eventual wide open 3, each time we double or triple teamed Cameron on the low block.  We were fortunate that they were not hitting them in the first half, as they sure hit some key 3's late in the second half.  This was excellent preparation by Lottich and the guys.  It was a pick-your-poison type of decision.  I think that if we didn't double or triple team, Krutwig eats us alive again down low, and the score is worse than a 2 point loss.  He has such patience and poise when he has the entire defense around him, and always finds the open guy.  Kind of like when Vlade Divac used to eat defenses alive with his passing.

Morgan played out of his mind today.  His form is still abysmal, but he was shooting it on target, and seems to have a much better confidence over these last few games.  He is such a lanky dribbler, that he scares the crap out of me when he dribbles straight into or out of a double team, but never seems to panic.  I know that he is in control, but something with his long limbs and high dribble, causes me to think that he is going to cough it up every time lol.  On the defensive end, the dude can straight up play, and is up there with JFL's ability to get the timely interception or steal, and just be up in their grill all game long.

To be fair to the refs, if you extend your arms on a rebounder, you are going to get that push call each time.  As the announcer pointed out, it wasn't even needed, with the positioning and height that Goodnews had/has.  At a minimum, he would have ended up with a tip attempt, even if it wasn't a clean catch-and-shoot, without extending his arm.  I am surprised that we don't get called for more fouls, but there seems to be less focus on the NCAA's initiative a few years back, of calling hand checks.  Anyone else remember 2-3 seasons back, where if you extended the arm on the offensive player, who was driving or posting up on you, it was an automatic ticky-tack foul?  I still yell at the screen/monitor any time that I see our guys reach out at the offensive player versus up, thinking that they are going to call the foul, but they never do.  Even my 6 year old says, 'hands up, not out,' when watching us play :).

We got the shot that we wanted at the end of the game, so it was drawn up and executed well, other than the shot being slightly off.  It was evident that we wanted it to be Krikke, and the guys were patient enough to let him get open, rather than what we have seen in the past in these types of situations.  I can remember many seasons where our last play first option is not immediately open, and it results in a last second and off balance heave, or no shot at all.

Either way, that was a fun one.  We have shown to the league that we belong, and can both make a run in the MVC tournament again, or be a 1-and-done team.  I am leaning towards the former.  Good effort, guys!

"Don't mess with Texas"

SanityLost17

1.  Krikke had a wide open look and needs to hit that shot.
2. The Loyola player didn't box either Valpo player out.  So extended arm or not I do not make that call as a ref for a guy who stood between 2 valpo players and didn't box either of them out.   
3. Clay has to play better.   Other guys are stepping up and it is time for Clay to get his sh** together.   He missed several defensive assignments in this game and had a few really bad turnovers.   I still think he is our best player if he can get himself out of this mental funk.   

a3uge

That's a foul in real-time, but slowed down it looks egregious. Tough break.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on February 17, 2021, 07:53:33 PM
When Loyola played Drake, Drake was missing their leading scorer who is out with a broken foot.  Can't remember his name but he was very good against us.

Hemphill.

I like the look without Daniel.  We are much bigger and that has been an issue with Sackey, let alone his shooting.  Loyola is legit and we almost beat them at their place.  Compared to the first game it was night and day.  Add the big guards coming in and we should be in a place able to compete for a title.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

minutes        shooting            points
Morgan.        28                6-9                   15
Kpegeol.       24                5-7                   10
Edwards.      20.               2-6                   05

I had to check the boxscore to verify my visual observation of how little Sheldon was asked to contribute offensively. I suspect that Matt might have stressed (successfully) that he play within his game. Obviously he, Clay, Gordon and McMilan were all covered well.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

I don't exactly recall but I think he was either in pain or causing pain.  ;)  Whatever, it sounded minor and might be an ankle. Sounded like he wouldn't be out long.

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on February 18, 2021, 08:06:35 PM
I don't exactly recall but I think he was either in pain or causing pain.  ;)  Whatever, it sounded minor and might be an ankle. Sounded like he wouldn't be out long.

The announcers said he injured an ankle during practice on Monday.  Didn't say how badly.

valpo64

I love seeing this team play without Sackey in the lineup.  We play 4 against 5 when he is in the game.  Like this new lineup.  Like to see JO continue to improve.  Being only a freshman, he did quite well against one of the all-time best MVC big men .  Now we need that good play on an everyday basis but that will come with experience during the rest of this year.  It is exciting to watch these young , inexperienced guys get better and better even though it isn't on an every-outing basis.  Go Valpo CRUSADERS!