• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Shots from the Heart Tourney

Started by vu72, December 28, 2011, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Both Bryce and Roger Powell have advanced to the second round!!  The Horizon League has some good FT shooters as Bryce, Brad Stevens and Ray McCallum all advanced as did an asst at Butler and our Roger Powell!

http://www.collegeinsider.com/shots/assistants.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on December 28, 2011, 04:44:39 PM
Both Bryce and Roger Powell have advanced to the second round!!  The Horizon League has some good FT shooters as Bryce, Brad Stevens and Ray McCallum all advanced as did an asst at Butler and our Roger Powell!

Anyone know how many Bryce and Roger made?  They shoot 25 per round.

swiftmutiny

Bryce made 24, Roger made 23. Both McCallum and Stevens made all 25.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on December 28, 2011, 04:44:39 PM

A great event for a great cause.  FWIW, the "asst at Butler" is actually the Coordinator of Basketball Operations, Darnell Archey.  Pretty decent shooter, if you believe his Butler bio.   ;)

"He finished his career as Butler's all-time leader in three-point field goals, and he currently stands third on Butler's all-time list for three-pointers (217).  He further set an NCAA Division I record for consecutive free throws made (85), and he finished with Butler single season (.973 in 2002-03) and career (.951) records for free throw percentage."

Crusader03

Quote from: swiftmutiny on December 28, 2011, 06:14:40 PM

Very impressive

valporun

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 28, 2011, 09:00:43 PM
Quote from: swiftmutiny on December 28, 2011, 06:14:40 PM

Very impressive

Would results like this bring setshot along to say we should drop men's basketball because our head coach can't hit all of his free throws in a charity event like Detroit's and Butler's can?

vu84v2

Really neat event and a great cause.

I did a quick review of the coaches that I am more familar with.  I know they are not running up and down the floor before shooting the free throws, but their percentages are pretty amazing.

covufan

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 30, 2011, 09:56:04 AM
Really neat event and a great cause.

I did a quick review of the coaches that I am more familar with.  I know they are not running up and down the floor before shooting the free throws, but their percentages are pretty amazing.
Yes, impressive.  They may not be as exhausted as the players during a game, but most college players could learn a thing or two on FT shooting from these coaches.

covufan

Valpo beats Ole Miss on last shot!

OK, Bryce Drew (Valpo) beats Andy Kennedy (Ole Miss) in the head coaches division of the Shots from the Heart free throw shooting tournament.  Both coaches missed only one shot, with Drew making his last 17 to win by points.

This is just a prediction.  Please, no wagering.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on December 30, 2011, 10:58:39 AM

OK, Bryce Drew (Valpo) beats Andy Kennedy (Ole Miss) in the head coaches division of the Shots from the Heart free throw shooting tournament.  Both coaches missed only one shot, with Drew making his last 17 to win by points.

OK.  Looks like Bryce got beat in the second round.  He only missed one shot, but Kennedy made all of his shots.  Roger Powell made it to the Sweet Sixteen in the Assistants division.  Good job!

covufan

Quote from: covufan on January 13, 2012, 05:36:10 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 30, 2011, 10:58:39 AM

OK.  Looks like Bryce got beat in the second round.  He only missed one shot, but Kennedy made all of his shots.  Roger Powell made it to the Sweet Sixteen in the Assistants division.  Good job!
Powell lost in the third round.  He only missed one shot, but his opponent made them all.  Good effort!