• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Potential seeding

Started by vu72, March 04, 2012, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Yes, saw the highlights as well.  There was 1:20 left when they were down by 10, quite incredible.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2012, 01:56:04 PM
Yes, saw the highlights as well.  There was 1:20 left when they were down by 10, quite incredible.

Valpotx - Not to change the subject, but you said once you saw the University and East end of town in the daylight, you were going to tell us what you thought of all the changes in the 8 years since you left.  I'm interested...  By the way, are you still here?

historyman

Quote from: covufan on March 06, 2012, 12:34:21 PM
Did anyone watch the Davidson-Western Carolina game.  Davidson was up 10 late in second half (1 or 2 minutes left I believe), and Western Carolina tied it.  WCarolina tied it with only seconds remaining in the first OT and stole the inbounds pass, but couldn't connect.  Very exciting finish.  I was rooting for Western Carolina.

Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2012, 10:46:51 PM

That WCU vs Davidson game was probably the best game I've seen all year. WCU made two banked threes, and got fouled on a three with a couple seconds left. They were down 10 and were able to come back to force OT, which turned into double OT. They weren't able to pull it out. Dikembe Mutumbo's nephew was tearing it up for WCU.

same thread.

valpotx

Unfortunately, even though I thought we would get to the final, I didn't want to make my travel plans based on that possibility  :).  I am back in the good 'ole DFW.

I was very impressed with the changes to both the town and campus.

Campus: I came away awestruck by the architecture of the new buildings compared to what I was used to.  The Christopher Center, Harre Union, parking garage, new Arts & Science building , softball stands/field improvements, baseball outfield wall improvement (wood now)/clubhouse painting, new (to me) tennis courts, football field surface, Engineering building addition, and solar furnace facility are top-notch.  I believe these additions are going to very much help us achieve our stated goal of 6k students.  Even though it was inconvenient not being able to drive through the old Chapel Rd, it does add a lot to the character of the campus to only have roads on the outskirts of the campus.  It was very well-manicured, and just gives you more of the feel that you are at a great academic school. 

I almost left out the ARC improvements in the video screens, sound system, and moving the championship banners around to different areas of the upstairs track.  The video screens were great to have, though as someone previously mentioned, the players in the game don't show up when subbed in, until a few minutes later.  I had no issue with the sound system, and I was in the chairback section people usually complain about sound-wise.  I heard everything clearly (even with a raucous crowd), and no glitches could be heard.  The banner move seems to help the mezzanine viewing, as I remember when I sat up there in school, you had to duck down a little bit to see under them.

Retail/restaurants: I would have loved to have what they have right by campus now: Best Buy, Cinemark theater, Red Robin, TGI Friday's, Panera Bread, Noodles & Company, JC Penney (not as much this one), Coldstone Creamery, Chipotle, Odemweir's (spelling, ice cream place), Great Clips (it might have been Sports Clips: I had to get my haircuts at Wal-Mart 8 years ago in Valpo, as I didn't see any others), and 2 Jimmy John's (they built 1 my last year there).  It looks like they are still adding to the retail side by the theater/JC Penney area, so I am sure more will be coming.

All in all, the area itself reminded me of the area I live in to an extent.  I live in what they call the Mid-Cities area, where there are probably 10 different cities with 30,000-50,000 people in each city (midway between Dallas and Fort Worth).  Though you have open land between cities in Indiana and do not in the DFW (city after city as you trek the highways, no unincorporated land), it seems you don't really have to leave the area to go to Merrillville anymore, much like each of the mid-cities here. 

My experience at Valpo was great, but it would have been even better with these improvements to campus and area.
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2012, 02:32:41 PM
Unfortunately, even though I thought we would get to the final, I didn't want to make my travel plans based on that possibility  :).  I am back in the good 'ole DFW.

I was very impressed with the changes to both the town and campus.

Campus: I came away awestruck by the architecture of the new buildings compared to what I was used to.  The Christopher Center, Harre Union, parking garage, new Arts & Science building , softball stands/field improvements, baseball outfield wall improvement (wood now)/clubhouse painting, new (to me) tennis courts, football field surface, Engineering building addition, and solar furnace facility are top-notch.  I believe these additions are going to very much help us achieve our stated goal of 6k students.  Even though it was inconvenient not being able to drive through the old Chapel Rd, it does add a lot to the character of the campus to only have roads on the outskirts of the campus.  It was very well-manicured, and just gives you more of the feel that you are at a great academic school. 

I almost left out the ARC improvements in the video screens, sound system, and moving the championship banners around to different areas of the upstairs track.  The video screens were great to have, though as someone previously mentioned, the players in the game don't show up when subbed in, until a few minutes later.  I had no issue with the sound system, and I was in the chairback section people usually complain about sound-wise.  I heard everything clearly (even with a raucous crowd), and no glitches could be heard.  The banner move seems to help the mezzanine viewing, as I remember when I sat up there in school, you had to duck down a little bit to see under them.

Retail/restaurants: I would have loved to have what they have right by campus now: Best Buy, Cinemark theater, Red Robin, TGI Friday's, Panera Bread, Noodles & Company, JC Penney (not as much this one), Coldstone Creamery, Chipotle, Odemweir's (spelling, ice cream place), Great Clips (it might have been Sports Clips: I had to get my haircuts at Wal-Mart 8 years ago in Valpo, as I didn't see any others), and 2 Jimmy John's (they built 1 my last year there).  It looks like they are still adding to the retail side by the theater/JC Penney area, so I am sure more will be coming.

All in all, the area itself reminded me of the area I live in to an extent.  I live in what they call the Mid-Cities area, where there are probably 10 different cities with 30,000-50,000 people in each city (midway between Dallas and Fort Worth).  Though you have open land between cities in Indiana and do not in the DFW (city after city as you trek the highways, no unincorporated land), it seems you don't really have to leave the area to go to Merrillville anymore, much like each of the mid-cities here. 

My experience at Valpo was great, but it would have been even better with these improvements to campus and area.

Thanks for your thoughts of campus, tx! It really has come a long way, and with a new residence hall or two and the new Welcome Center, campus will continue to be transformed.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

drewsaders11

Quote from: dylanrocks on March 06, 2012, 09:36:50 AM
Bottom line:

Concern yourselves with the game tonight and let the chips fall where they may. The Horizon League has quite a bit of recent history (seven straight years with at least a round-of-64 victory) on its side.

Our board had a thread just like this last year ... and, well, yeah. :(

Go get 'em, Crusaders! :thumbsup:

:-[

Good call.   I think it was fun to hypothesize about the what-ifs.  Doing that makes this bitter pill a little bit harder to swallow, though.

Crusader03

What seed do you all see Detroit getting?  I think no better than 15 with 16 a possibility.

motowntitan

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 06, 2012, 11:27:54 PM
What seed do you all see Detroit getting?  I think no better than 15 with 16 a possibility.

16 is out of the question.  14 is more likely at this point, with possible 13.

StlVUFan

13 seems out of the question, too.  14 is a possibility, a realistic one in fact.

Crusader03

Quote from: motowntitan on March 07, 2012, 05:54:29 AM

I think there is absolutely no shot at a 13.  Stop drinking the koolaid.  You guys are a 15 unless you get some lucky breaks with other teams losing.

historyman

Quote from: motowntitan on March 07, 2012, 05:54:29 AM

Okay, say Detroit somehow gets a 13 seed because the selection committee recognizes the great talent and great play at the end of the season. Detroit will face a #4 seed who will say, "no, not Detroit." Ray Jr. will need to exhibit some self control or this season is going to finish with an awful thump. Valpo has been there many many times.

A #4 seed will not falter when one big man goes down. They may shoot poorly and not handle the ball well but most will be able to turn on an inside game. Also they will most likely have an extremely quick guard who will defend Ray Jr and frustrate him many more times than Valpo was able to frustrate him. The momentum will turn in the game whether early or late and unless Ray Jr can keep his composure the Detroit fan base will be drowned out from the beginning and it will be all downhill with an extremely bitter pill to swallow. Many of the most remembered TV shots of the tournament are of the star player realizing his dream is crushed and letting out the emotion on the bench. How will Ray Jr react when this time comes. Like an ass or like a gentleman with character? I think we all know. Anyone remember Ron Nored's reaction at the Butler/Valpo game on Saturday after he left the game?  Grow up quickly, Ray Jr, or you will turn into that one "unshining" moment of the 2012 NCAA tournament.

chef

Jerry Palm (cbssportsline) has Detroit as a 15. He's been the best in the business over the last few years.

valpotx

There is absolutely no way that Detroit gets a 13 seed with their rankings.  There is probably a 5% chance at a 14.  They are a 15 seed at best, unless as Chef mentioned, there are many more upsets in the remaining conference tournaments.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Quote from: valpotx on March 07, 2012, 10:50:57 AM
There is absolutely no way that Detroit gets a 13 seed with their rankings.  There is probably a 5% chance at a 14.  They are a 15 seed at best, unless as Chef mentioned, there are many more upsets in the remaining conference tournaments.

Actually, I mentioned that first...but don't let the facts get in the way of a great story.

crusader1897

Anybody have any clue what NIT seed Valpo could be getting?