• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible game against Pitt

Started by IrishDawg, July 05, 2012, 07:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishDawg

This would be a big schedule boost for the Crusaders, especially with how improved Pitt is supposed to be this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/60810/3-point-shot-bahamas-big-for-lyons

MattCarter

3-4 games on this level would do WONDERS for us!
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valporun

It would do wonders for VU's stance in RPI, although Pitt sets up a cupcake non-conference schedule, and it doesn't always help them once the Big East schedule gets underway. Yeah, I know, some of you don't care only because its Pitt and the Big Least, but we have to hope that Pitt plays up to their expectations, instead of just playing to get a particular NCAA seed.

Valpo_Fred

Based on Valpo's tentative schedule, the only date they have free is Dec. 1. Perhaps that could be the game that gets inserted.

VULB#62

Anyone know how the Butler schedule holes are being filled in the midst of the HL merry-go-round?  [This may have been covered in an earlier string somewhere else, but with the temp 99+ in Green Bay I'm too lazy to check]

vu84v2

Kansas came out with their nonconference schedule today.  No game against Valparaiso.

zvillehaze

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 05, 2012, 04:58:14 PM
Anyone know how the Butler schedule holes are being filled in the midst of the HL merry-go-round?  [This may have been covered in an earlier string somewhere else, but with the temp 99+ in Green Bay I'm too lazy to check]

Prior to the announcement, Butler had one game left to schedule ... most likely a home buy-game.  When they announced the A-10 move, they lost 2 conference games and a previously schedule non-DI game (not allowed by the A-10), leaving a hole of 4 games.

Since then, they've announced a road game at Northwestern (part of a home and home) and home games against Penn (likely a home and home) and New Orleans (a buy-game).  Since Coach Stevens wants to play in Chicago, I suspect the remaining game will be at home against a Chicago school with a return game next year.  Your guess is as good as mine, but I suspect it will be UIC.

FWIW, I would hope that Valpo is contacting all the teams playing at Butler to see if they'd like a 2nd game while they're in Indiana.  That list includes Elon, Penn, New Orleans and Gonzaga.

valpopal

Here is an article with some disparaging comments regarding Pitt's possible scheduling of Valpo because of the Crusaders' RPI, though the author acknowledges Valpo's RPI last year (95) was above Pitt's RPI (96):

http://www.cardiachill.com/2012/7/6/3139928/pitt-basketball-valparaiso-crusaders-pittsburgh-panthers-schedule-recruiting-jamie-dixon-football

historyman

It sounds like Pitt may go ahead and schedule the game because it will be the best RPI the Panthers can schedule at this point in the summer. Pitt's coaching staff and AD obviously want a higher RPI to replace the possible SEC opponent they would have faced if they had been chosen for the SEC/Big East Challenge. But they also acknowledge that Valpo is probably the best RPI opponent they can get now. Therefore the Panthers will probably "settle" for Valpo as an opponent unless a higher RPI opponent emerges that Pitt could fit into their schedule.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

The author is clueless. Valpo will win somewhere between 22-24 games next year. Since 50% of your RPI is your opponents record, they will be a very good RPI game. What's Valpo's final RPI has no barring on Pitt's RPI.

covufan

Quote from: chef on July 07, 2012, 12:34:17 AM
The author is clueless. Valpo will win somewhere between 22-24 games next year. Since 50% of your RPI is your opponents record, they will be a very good RPI game. What's Valpo's final RPI has no barring on Pitt's RPI.

Not only is the author clueless, he didn't do any homework.  The 2012-13 Valpo team has most contributors back, and a few others coming in.  The RPI thing is way off.  A top 100 RPI team should never hurt your RPI, it is several games against bottom 100 that will hurt a team's RPI.  With the Big Least schedule, they'll be fine with a schedule that includes Valpo.  Unless the Valpo team is reading the same article and hands Pitt a whooping.

justducky

Just got this hunch that our schedule should be wrapped up real quick. So if there is still some nameless member of Big-East royalty that is looking to bring in a top 50 opponent I'm going to Pitt it all on the line and remind them that the clock is ticking. Therefore it is my suggestion that they either Pitt-up or shut up, or a little more bluntly, Pitt or get off the pot.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on July 13, 2012, 11:09:26 PM
Just got this hunch that our schedule should be wrapped up real quick. So if there is still some nameless member of Big-East royalty that is looking to bring in a top 50 opponent I'm going to Pitt it all on the line and remind them that the clock is ticking. Therefore it is my suggestion that they either Pitt-up or shut up, or a little more bluntly, Pitt or get off the pot.

Whoa!!!!!

You're showing that you're full of a lot of Pitt and vinegar.

I wonder how much the Pitt football program has to gain from the demise of the Penn State football program.

VULB#62

PA has now become a "target-rich recruiting environment," to paraphrase Lt. Pete Mitchell, for not only Pitt but all of the Big 10.