• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Practice

Started by wh, October 03, 2012, 03:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

according to Kevin van wijk's Facebook, he has been cleared by the doctor for his knee problems so he is able to get back to working with the team.  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

Here is a new video featuring Buggs and displaying some scenes of Erik at practice:

I am Valpo

vu72

Possibly the coolist thing I've seen concerning Valpo sports period.  Here is a young man with multiple things pulling at him and the maturity is shining through.  I can't wait for the season to start.  Although I have only just met a few of these players, it is obvious what Bryce's influence has been.  win, Lose or draw, these young men will leave Valpo as mature, well spoken people who will be great ambassadors for the University.

BYT, I expect some early season butt kickings!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vubballfan10

Erik Buggs really does know his strengths and weaknessess on the court.  He is the best defensive PG in the Horizon, and does a great job getting assists to the scorers, Broekhoff and Van Wijk.  He rarely forces a shot on the offensive end, and has been a great starting PG now for the third year in a row.

wh

For those who live outside the area, I thought you might like to read the letter from Mark LaBarbera sent to season ticket holders:

Dear Crusader Fan,

Thank you for purchasing season tickets for the 2012-2013 Valpo Basketball season.  We are excited about the upcoming season for Crusader basketball!  As a small thank you for your investment in our program, you and your family are invited to the 2nd annual Season Ticket Holder open practice.  This is your opportunity  to meet this year's Men's basketball team led by reigning Horizon League Coach of the Year, Bryce Drew, and this year's Women's basketball team guided by first-year head coach, Tracey Dorow.  This exclusive event for season ticket holders will be held in the main arena of the ARC on Saturday, October 13th, from 6pm to 8pm and will overlap one hour of each team's practice.  You will be the first group to catch a glance at the teams as they begin their preparations for the 2012-13 season.  A light meal will be provided.  If you are able to attend, we ask that you RSvp by calling 219-464-6894 or e-mailing valpo.athletics@valpo.edu with the size of your party.

We hope to see you at this event and thank you again for your continued support of Valpo Basketball!

Sincerely,
Mark LaBarbera
Director of Athletics

jack

Quote from: wh on October 03, 2012, 03:49:50 PM
I think that basketball practice officially begins next Friday, Oct. 12th.  Does anyone know if there are any activities planned for the students or the community?

Getting back to the original question, I seem to have heard they are doing an all inclusive athletic dodgeball game, with the entire school body and community invited. Kind of a "get to know your athletes" function, of sorts. Not sure if this is what you are refering too, or if there is a team specific function planned. Last I heard it was this weekend. That may have changed though.

wh

The letter I referred in my last post (just before yours) explains what they are doing for the community.  And, your post tells me what they're doing for the students.  Question answered - thanks Jack.

Valpo89

Regarding the discussion of Matt Kenney vs. Ben Boggs - Am I the only one who believes Matt is about 10 times more athletic than Ben? He's fast, he's got long arms and he can jump out of the gym. Yes, this doesn't make him a great shooter, but he always seems to come up with huge plays at the end of games - grabbing a rebound, blocking a shot or coming up with a steal before taking it down to the other end and making an acrobatic layup, dunk or passing off to an open teammate. Matt may not have been a starter, but he was certainly a finisher.

milanmiracle

Quote from: Valpo89 on October 08, 2012, 05:27:34 PM
Regarding the discussion of Matt Kenney vs. Ben Boggs - Am I the only one who believes Matt is about 10 times more athletic than Ben? He's fast, he's got long arms and he can jump out of the gym. Yes, this doesn't make him a great shooter, but he always seems to come up with huge plays at the end of games - grabbing a rebound, blocking a shot or coming up with a steal before taking it down to the other end and making an acrobatic layup, dunk or passing off to an open teammate. Matt may not have been a starter, but he was certainly a finisher.

I am a big Matt Kenney fan, and I think he's a better player than Boggs. I still believe his shooting will come around too.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

Matt is a complete player, someone that I very much respect for his work ethic and apparent 'heart.'  As you mentioned, he is not the greatest shooter, but he penetrates the defense well, though sometimes a little careless and out of control to get a charge called on him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

89---On a side note, I seem to recall that you have run the Chicago Marathon before.  Did you run it again this past Sunday?  If so, how was the experience?

Valpo89

Quote from: wh on October 09, 2012, 07:02:39 AM

89---On a side note, I seem to recall that you have run the Chicago Marathon before.  Did you run it again this past Sunday?  If so, how was the experience?

Yes, ran it for the 14th year in a row. 3:35:21, ranking as my third-best time going by memory and not my official list that I can't find. It was much better than four of the previous five years when it was too hot.

jack

Quote from: wh on October 08, 2012, 04:27:05 PM
The letter I referred in my last post (just before yours) explains what they are doing for the community.  And, your post tells me what they're doing for the students.  Question answered - thanks Jack.

You bet. Hey, hard to beat Floyd on guitar, but this would have to be right up there     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBQ4OKcNNU

FWalum

How did this thread get hijacked by Peter Frampton???  I thought I would come on here this morning and see all kinds of reports on last night's practice.  Where are they?  Did anybody go? If you did, what were your observations. Analysis please!!!

(In case you can't tell, my college basketball withdrawal symptoms are at a very high level and I need a fix.)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

RS

FWalum - Saturday night is the 2nd Annual open team practice - for season ticket holders - I'm sure there will be some reports late Saturday and Sunday

FWalum

I'm sorry, I thought it was last night.  (once again I will blame this on NCBS... no college basketball syndrome)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Sorry, even I didn't catch that mistake. Practice is tonight and I am going. Toe and all.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

It was a pretty run of the mill practice for the men's team. Nothing very unusual. Bryce told the crowd that they had practiced 3 hours duration previous to the event.

Here are some things I learned:

Per Tracy Darow, women's coach, the women will pleasantly surprise the rest of the HL and are much better than what most people are expecting from them.

Jordan Coleman went to the same HS as the Kardashians.

Not only KVW but Matt Kenney has had some knee issues. Kenney's medical condition must be a lot better than Kevin's because Kevin did not participate in the part of the practice we saw except for some shooting drills.

I think Vashil sure has a lot of physical talent now he needs some time to coordinate it enough to really be dangerous. Our opponents will have to work hard to keep him off the boards so he doesn't get easy putbacks.

I saw no real superior shooting from Rossi but I don't think there was any determined effort to help him showcase any shooting.

We are now as tall or taller than every other team in the Horizon League.

Dority looks like he has such a huge presence on the court. He'll never get out muscled for a loose ball.

Capobianco looks to have an outside shot. Let's hope he has a decent inside game. He'll be tough on the boards but I have a feeling Broekhoff will still get more rebounds.

Just my opinion but the guy who will probably have the most impact on this team is Lavonte. He's a good take charge guy and if he can meld in well by mid-December he AND Buggs will play huge roles for this team. Before mid-December it just may be Jordan Coleman who makes the biggest impact.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on October 13, 2012, 10:41:55 PM
Jordan Coleman went to the same HS as the Kardashians.

wait - the kardashians went to high school?

historyman

Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 14, 2012, 02:36:39 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, Byrce even mentioned that Jordan turned down Kim K when she asked him out for prom. Jordan shook his head "no."

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on October 13, 2012, 10:41:55 PMJordan Coleman went to the same HS as the Kardashians.

As Clark Griswold said in the Vacation movie, "Nothing to be proud of."

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on October 14, 2012, 03:31:59 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 14, 2012, 02:36:39 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, Byrce even mentioned that Jordan turned down Kim K when she asked him out for prom. Jordan shook his head "no."

That, sir, is a compliment of the highest order.