• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso has ACCEPTED* the Invite to become the 10th Member of the MVC!!!!

Started by VU2014, May 09, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

I'd expect the official announcement accepting our MVC invite from VU tomorrow, yes?

VU75

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 24, 2017, 03:05:51 PMI'd expect the official announcement accepting our MVC invite from VU tomorrow, yes?

That would depend on when the MVC  commissioner is available for the press conference.

covufan

Quote from: wh on May 22, 2017, 09:42:12 PM
Valparaiso basketball: How will the Crusaders do in the MVC?
by Doug Winkey 8 hours ago

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/05/22/valparaiso-basketball-will-crusaders-mvc/
I fully expect that our team with 6(7 with Levingston-Simon) returning players, Burton and Evelyn coming off a red-shirt season, and the four incoming players, to be playing in the final three games of the MVC season for a top 2 seed in Arch Madness. 

bigmosmithfan1

Yeah, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it could end up being a few days or next week, depending upon MVC officials availability to be at a presser. The MVC baseball tourney is going on right now, too, in Springfield, MO (literally the furthest point in the MVC from Valpo). Can't imagine it makes sense for them to run back and forth when they could easily schedule something after the holiday weekend with no conflicts.

Also, remember, VU couldn't officially notify the HL until late this afternoon, so we don't know what that entails with lawyers on both sides finalizing exit docs and such. (There may be formalities on the HL side once we've notified that could take a few days, is what I'm saying).

VULB#62

I think they will take a little time to coordinate everying and do it right. By that I mean professionally with more than "just a presser."  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some video, distinguished guests, the whole 9 yards. After all this time, this is BIG and the MVC and Valpo are not gonna do the "oh, BTW,  Valpo is accepting our invite - next question" routine.

wh

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on May 24, 2017, 07:27:47 PM
Loyola press conference 2013:

http://www.loyolaramblers.com/view.gal?id=140302

Scroll to see pictures.

If the MVC is true to form, the presser will be at Valpo, yes?

VULB#62

Oren makes another BIG point. Our tennis guys are still competing and representing the HL!

bigmosmithfan1

I doubt that'd have anything to do with it. That's an NCAA event, they are no longer under the HL's purview. Probably a couple of days to complete paperwork, get stuff countersigned, and then get the Valley officials up to town for a presser.

vu72

I would think the very active Valley press core would like time to get to Valpo.  Heck, Oren is out of town, he can't even write their press stories for them.  If it happens tomorrow I will be surprised.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

Nobody cares if Oren is out of town. If it begins July 1, thats only 5 weeks away. It'll happen quick IMO.

crusader05

And now a letter from the president indicating that Alumni donors have covered the full cost of the transfer to the Valley

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff:
I'm pleased to announce Valparaiso University has accepted an invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference, effective July 1, 2017. Valpo Athletics programs will begin competing for MVC championships in the 2017–2018 academic year. This decision was made in consultation with the Board of Directors and the faculty on the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics and with their unanimous support.
This is an important step forward for all of our athletics programs and an opportunity to advance the national standing of Valparaiso University. The Valley is one of the nation's most historic athletic conferences, and we are excited to actively engage with its outstanding member institutions and Valley leadership to strengthen both the conference and Valpo Athletics.
As we look forward to this exciting opportunity, we know it would not be possible without the progress Valpo Athletics made as a member of the Horizon League during the last decade. It has been an honor to be part of the Horizon League, and we wish the league and its member institutions continued success.
We are also grateful for the generous Valpo alumni donations that will cover all costs required for our move to the Missouri Valley Conference, guaranteeing no additional University budget dollars will be spent on this transition.
Valparaiso University will join the following members of the Missouri Valley Conference (as of July 1): Bradley University, Drake University, the University of Evansville, Illinois State University, Indiana State University, Loyola University Chicago, Missouri State University, Southern Illinois University, and the University of Northern Iowa.
Fifteen Valpo Athletics programs will begin competition in the Missouri Valley Conference for the 2017–2018 academic year: baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, softball, women's swimming, women's tennis, men's and women's track and field, and volleyball. We expect to announce the conference home for men's tennis and men's swimming in the coming weeks.
I look forward to the 2017–2018 season and cheering for all of our exceptional student-athletes.
Go Valpo!
President Heckler's Signature
Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D.
President
Valparaiso University

valpopal

"We are also grateful for the generous Valpo alumni donations that will cover all costs required for our move to the Missouri Valley Conference, guaranteeing no additional University budget dollars will be spent on this transition." Interesting wording. Does this address only the entrance fee or does "all costs" apply to any facilities upgrades? Might be perceived as less than inspiring if the University is viewed as offering a statement making a point of not investing in this important step forward. Curious.

crusader05

They usually make a habit of acknowledging any donors anywhere that donate anything, including the free concerts they can occasionally provide for the students. It's just part of how the university system works. If someone provided the money, you say something about it, even if there's not a big name attached. I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

valpopal

Quote from: crusader05 on May 25, 2017, 09:29:57 AM
They usually make a habit of acknowledging any donors anywhere that donate anything, including the free concerts they can occasionally provide for the students. It's just part of how the university system works. If someone provided the money, you say something about it, even if there's not a big name attached. I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

I understand and appreciate that, but going out of his way to mention the University will not be spending any additional dollars seems unnecessary, especially since it emphasizes a lack of institutional investment. I certainly would have acknowledged the donors but left out that second half of the sentence.

VU2014

crusader05

Well the email I posted was to faculty/staff/students so the audience is a bit different since these are people who pay tuition/have an interest in overall operating costs of the university. So to me it sounds like a University bragging about sound fiscal practices. Also, institutional investment IS talking to donors and raising money to cover new and exciting opportunities for the university in ways that don't pull money from another department. I just feel like this is looking for a way to be bad at the university for dong something we wanted it to do, in a way that didn't cost and extra money and in a way that pulled donors towards donating to our athletic department which we wanted them to do.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on May 25, 2017, 09:52:11 AM

I understand and appreciate that, but going out of his way to mention the University will not be spending any additional dollars seems unnecessary, especially since it emphasizes a lack of institutional investment. I certainly would have acknowledged the donors but left out that second half of the sentence.

I think it was addressing those who view athletics as something that should be secondary particularly in this difficult financial environment in which universities exist today.  We are in the midst of The Forever Valpo fund drive focused exclusively on endowment--to insure the universities future.  Given this priority, I would think that spending hundreds of thousands just to change conferences would seem trivial and excessive.  This added wording clearly addresses those folks to assure them that no university funds were required for the transition.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

Athletics are touchy. I'm sure there are plenty of people in academia that do not care one bit which conference the athletes participate in. I think it's just the president simply stating that all the costs were covered outside of university dollars.

Upgrades to facilities happen no matter what conference we participate in. To me, fees to move conferences and facilities upgrades are two seperate things independent of each other. 

wh

Quote from: valpopal on May 25, 2017, 09:52:11 AM

Yeah, my cynical side is picturing a conversation between mh and ml that goes something like this:

ml   Mark, we have just received an incredible opportunity to move to the MVC. 

mh  How much will it cost?

ml  Probably somewhere around a million, all told.

mh  No way!  I've already told you we are not going to spend any money on men's basketball - and you and I both know that's what this is about -until we have no other needs at Valparaiso University.

ml  What if I raise the money myself?

mh  Well, ok, but remember 3 things: (1) don't try to tap any current or former Board members.  I have a long term plan for milking them for more important things. Especially stay away from certain people with deep pockets that follow our men's basketball program like Paul Von Tobel and Harley Snyder.  They might be tempted to support your little cause, and take away from what I'm trying to do. I'm not really worried about the rest.  They all hate sports. (2) This million is to be above and beyond your regular athletic fundraising goals.  (3) If by some miracle you find someone willing to write a check for the whole thing, talk to me first.  It may be that I will want to "redirect" that person. 

ml  Thanks for your support, mh!  We're gonna make you proud!

mh  Yeah, yeah  ::)