• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Evansville game thread, Sat., Jan. 4, 2020, 6p CT

Started by wh, January 04, 2020, 10:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Setting the Scene (From Evansville website)
- Looking to build on its 5-1 home record, the Purple Aces take on a Crusader team that it has enjoyed great home success against
- Evansville is 41-5 in home games against Valpo and has not lost to the Crusaders in Evansville since Feb. 1, 1969
- Last year, the Aces swept the season series including a 64-53 win at the Ford Center
===================================================================

(NationalRank of Player/# of qualifying players eligible for National Rank)
Evansville:
The Beast: DeAndre Williams 6-9 So.
Offensive Rating(Dean Oliver's Rating)  (18/2224)
Effective FG% (2/1248)
True Shooting% (1/1248)
Offensive Rebound% (420/2224)
Defensive Rebound% (68/2224)
Assist Rate (105/2224)
Fouls Drawn Per 40 minutes  (300/2224)
Free Throw Percent (250/1248)
2-Point Percent (4/2224)

Stop the Beast!

vu72

A must win?  Perhaps not but a critical game nonetheless for the confidence of our team.  The bad news is that we haven't won there since 1969.  Now is the time!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

I have a bad feeling now about this game. Both teams need the confidence building win and Valpo has pretty much been screwed by the refs in Evansville. I think it will be a close one with the refs making a blown call in the last minute to give the Aces the game.

Valpo   71
Evansville 74

covufan

Need to play better on the road these two games, especially after the home loss. Need to keep Evansville off the FT line.

Valpo    78
E'Ville    72

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on January 04, 2020, 10:12:53 AM
Pre-game interview with Evansville's acting head coach:

https://www.courierpress.com/videos/sports/college/evansville/2020/01/03/bennie-seltzer-news-conference-before-valparaiso-game/2804297001/

No surprise that his game plan is to focus on stopping Javon and he mentions Donavon. 
Every team knows what to do to gain an advantage against us. Javon's numbers are going to go down in conference play. The question is will the coach have a plan to counter what he knows every team will do to stop Javon. 

wh

Repeatedly coming back from slow starts and deep holes against all levels of competition, both home and on the road, requires talent, depth and a disciplined never-give-in attitude. Conversely, constantly digging deep holes speaks to a lack of focus or the wrong player combinations at key times in the game. It's easy to imagine that we would have a completely different record, if not for this 1 deficiency. Once again, today's outcome probably will hinge on "holes dug."  Big hole = close loss. No big hole = 5-10 point win.

BTW it's the coaching staff's responsibility to put winning player combinations on the court.  I continue to believe that Matt is playing John Kiser too much at the start of each half. He does not have starter scoring capability, and he is overmatched at the 4. Also, immediately bench Mileek if he shoots a 3 early in the clock.

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on January 04, 2020, 01:34:22 PMRepeatedly coming back from slow starts and deep holes against all levels of competition, both home and on the road, requires talent, depth and a disciplined never-give-in attitude. Conversely, constantly digging deep holes speaks to a lack of focus or the wrong player combinations at key times in the game. It's easy to imagine that we would have a completely different record, if not for this 1 deficiency. Once again, today's outcome probably will hinge on "holes dug."  Big hole = close loss. No big hole = 5-10 point win. BTW it's the coaching staff's responsibility to put winning player combinations on the court.  I continue to believe that Matt is playing John Kiser too much at the start of each half. He does not have starter scoring capability, and he is overmatched at the 4. Also, immediately bench Mileek if he shoots a 3 early in the clock.

That pretty much sums up the whole story of the game.

valpo64

Like your analysis, "wh".  Without a doubt we need more offensive threats on the floor.  Any word out yet on when Ryan F will return?  Tonight would be a good time   :)  !

justducky

Quote from: M on January 04, 2020, 12:57:22 PM
Mileek goes 3/4 from deep and Valpo rolls 🤪

:thumbsup:    Great but that would only raise his 3 point average to 26.4%.  :'(

justducky

Quote from: valpo64 on January 04, 2020, 02:21:33 PM
Like your analysis, "wh".  Without a doubt we need more offensive threats on the floor.  Any word out yet on when Ryan F will return?  Tonight would be a good time   :)  !

With the left wrist injury as his limiting factor, I would guess he could immediately see major minutes upon his eventual return. Thoughts?

VUSWIM08-12

No clue on this one , 10+ point game either way. Hopefully javon/coaching staff figure out the inevitable  traps /doubles.

Valpo-72
Purple 2s- 60

NativeCheesehead

The cool thing about road games is I can drink before the game and not worry about driving to the ARC. I find I have much less stress about the game this way.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Shoot. Thought this game started at 7pm CST. Missed Todd's pregame.

Any highlights?

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: valpo64 on January 04, 2020, 02:21:33 PM

I'm sure whatever his timetable is, he's progressing nicely.

justducky

wh

18 of our 36 points coming from the bench, including 8 pts. ea. from Ben and Eron. Eville with 2 points off the bench. If we have a strong 2nd half start, we've got a good chance to prevail. If Javon gets hot, we could win this going away.

NativeCheesehead

EVille play by play guy is really good. But The color guy is neck and neck with Booger McFarlane for worst color guy I've listened too tonight.

NativeCheesehead

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 04, 2020, 07:09:39 PM
Mileek needs to not be starting anymore.

He's hit 2 3's, but his interior defense is atrocious.

Just Sayin