• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/20, Valpo hosts IUPUI: Game Thread

Started by valpopal, December 19, 2012, 05:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Seems Vegas still has confidence in the Crusaders: Valpo favored over IUPUI by 19 points in early lines. However, I think it will be difficult to beat that spread since a big lead would give Bryce reason to experiment with different combinations and play everyone. Let's just get the win.

milanmiracle

This is a pretty easy call. IUPUI is a bad team, so Valpo will win easily. Hopefully they can work on some offensive sets and get Dority in tune with the rest of his teammates.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Smj

19 point win ...  Not from what I've seen.   Yes Valpo will win but if we have that type of lead we will change things up to keep it interesting.   (hope I am wrong but I think this might be the time to find a bookie.)

zvillehaze

Quote from: Smj on December 19, 2012, 11:18:03 PM
19 point win ...  Not from what I've seen.   Yes Valpo will win but if we have that type of lead we will change things up to keep it interesting.   (hope I am wrong but I think this might be the time to find a bookie.)

IUPUI i not very good and Valpo plays very well at home.  If John Hart goes crazy against Valpo's zone, they have a chance to keep within 19, but it's not likely IMO.

valpotx

We are at home, so a win:

Valpo 69
IUPUI 55
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

The forecast is for something like a blizzard coming through at something like game time.  I don't think it will help attendance.

We've got family coming into town... just a little too late for us to have to decide whether to brave the weather.  I suppose we could still think about the second half, but I suspect it'll be an easy call.

valporun

agibson, do you really think a large crowd is going to come watch a Valpo game against IUPUI?

covufan

Quote from: agibson on December 20, 2012, 09:22:37 AM
The forecast is for something like a blizzard coming through at something like game time.  I don't think it will help attendance.

We've got family coming into town... just a little too late for us to have to decide whether to brave the weather.  I suppose we could still think about the second half, but I suspect it'll be an easy call.
Looks like rain turning to snow around gametime, with winds changing from SW to NW.  Going to be a fun evening, both inside and outside the ARC?
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.46537017728068&lon=-87.0505142211914

The team needs to put the pressure on both ends of the court for a full 40 minutes. 

Valpo   79
IUPUI   57

Valposter

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

HC

I'm staying and putting the game on the radio tonight.
Valpo 81
IUPUI 62

wh

Quote from: HC on December 20, 2012, 04:14:47 PM
I'm staying and putting the game on the radio tonight.
Valpo 81
IUPUI 62

HC - Think about all of the Crusader brotherhood (sisterhood) that would give anything to be in attendance tonight but can't because they don't live in the area.  Think about Ryan's parents in Australia, crusader joe in FL, '72 in MN, mm in Indy, setshot in NC, and dozens of other alum, family, friends and fans too many to name.  It is up to US to carry the torch (pun intended)!  I look forward to seeing you in about 2 hours!

valporun

HC, why would you need the radio, just turn on the HL app or log on to the internet thing I hear is on computers now, and WATCH!

HC

I like the radio because I can keep playing with my kids. WH, you make valid points. I may drag my oldest out.

vuweathernerd

pretty sure that even if i were in the area, i probably wouldn't trek out with what's forecast for tonight.

HC

Saw on twitter that Dority and Kenney are starting tonight.

valporun

Tonight's starters are Rowdy, Kevin, Dority, Boggs, and Kenney. Hope this works!

VULB#62

Confidence and Comfort begin with "C."  So do the words "Consistent" and "Competitive."  It's now 11 games into the season with a team that returns all it's 2011-2012 starters, but we're still monkeying around with line-up changes?  I would have thought that by maybe game #5 the new additions would be vetted and the lineup would be nailed and the 7-8 man rotation firmly in place to allow them to refine their playing relationships on the floor.  Granted, this is from an admitted basketball dunce, so I need to know what am I missing.

HC

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 20, 2012, 06:50:00 PMGranted, this is from an admitted basketball dunce, so I need to know what am I missing.

Plenty.  If the lineup isn't working it gets changed, just like if a QB of O line man isn't doing their job they get changed.  You give something time to work out kinks on its own/through coaching, and if it doesn't happen you take different routes.  They did the same thing last year when Boggs became eligible.  Worked out ok last year.  Give it a chance.

valporun

62, Dority became eligible for the Missouri St. game, which was the 10th game of the season, plus we were down Capo with the hernia surgery, and then Ryan's unknown bout with mono, and a couple other guys being hit by the flu bug.

VULB#62

Thanks Run, I understand all that.  But most of these new guys have been practicing with the returnees for maybe a year plus.  Undeniably, there is much depth of talent. But right now, I'm feeling that the pressure on Bryce to play as much of the talent as possible is warping (getting in the way of) the decision process and it's unsettling.  Shouldn't there be an evident game-by-game progression -- yet I don't think we're seeing it.  Will the team suddenly crystalize for the first game of the HL season?  Please don't think I am critical.  I don't know squat, but logic tells me a veteran, conference championship  team should be kicking ass about now. 

HC

I highly doubt the new guys this year were practicing with the first teamers on a regular basis last year. That would make no sense.  Certain guys aren't performing so they are experimenting with something new, may be a one game thing or it may be permanent.

VULB#62

Why did the steam quit with about 2 minutes to go?

valporun

Apparently, if Bryce sees the guys get ahead by a certain amount of points, he decides it is time to stall the offense, for the defense to take charge, and hold the opponent from scoring, but it just forces more turnovers on our offensive end.