• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/12 Valpo @ UWM Game Thread

Started by talksalot, January 09, 2013, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Great game to be at....   Even better because when I got home I was able to watch plays again on ESPN3. 

Ryan had 7 threes - wow, what can you even say.   It was awesome - he came in and set the tone immediately.   new respect for Bogan's defense - he was working his ass off.   Vashil was able to catch passes - something he was having difficulty with earlier.  On defense if he learns that it is okay to just let a player shoot over him he will develop into a great option for Valpo.   All-in-all we looked good and UWM was missing their shots because most were well contested.  Great game!!!

(Last time I saw UWM - I hated the game.   Edwards got kicked out, Kenny got a technical and Ryan got boo'ed by UWM students because Allen came flying out of control and ran into Ryan under the basket and lost his footing.   I had seen two games at UWM and I did not much care for the negative atmosphere.  And really did not like Williams.   He sounded like an ass after a game where he hit a last minute shot and said in an interview "big player make big plays" about himself.  This UWM team did not seem as ... "mean" or "filthy" or ... "vile" - cant find the right word?)

Also a significant difference not having UWM students there.   Even though our student section was pushed into an upper corner they were louder than the few UWM students that showed up.

Quote from: Rink
I'll be in attendance, along with wifey, uncle ('92 ?), and aunt. Last time seeing Rowdy in person, gonna do my best to appreciate it ... win, lose, or draw.
Maybe you can see him in the NBA next year....

HC

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 11:15:16 AMAlso a significant difference not having UWM students there.   Even though our student section was pushed into an upper corner they were louder than the few UWM students that showed up.

This made me smile  ;D

wh

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 11:15:16 AM

Even though our student section was pushed into an upper corner they were louder than the few UWM students that showed up.

What do you mean?  Didn't you have assigned seats?

Smj

Quote from: wh on January 13, 2013, 01:43:06 PM

It was assigned but the students were way up in a corner.   I guess I just like it when I see the student sections under the basket.   However, our student fans were loud, even though they were not down by the court...  Really glad to see a great group of student fans!!! 

(I was sitting with the ... um ... older VU fans - closer to my age.  We were behind the bench.  There were a couple guys in the last row that were very vocal ...  I got a smile from them a few times during the game.)

wh

Nice comments about Valpo's performance from Coach Jeter.  Seems like a class guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zeY-8A6MMY&feature=player_embedded#!

Smj

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 05:05:54 PM
Good Valpo post game here:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqOCLsHy7U

The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program.

You might need to install other software to open this address.

vusupporter

Just replace the 'm' with 'www' - he probably viewed it on a mobile device.

Smj

Quote from: vusupporter on January 13, 2013, 05:41:28 PM
Yep - iPad...    (Sorry)

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 06:38:08 PM
Quote from: vusupporter on January 13, 2013, 05:41:28 PM
Yep - iPad...    (Sorry)

Thanks, I failed to notice the m. in front.

chipper955

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 02:09:56 PM
Quote from: wh on January 13, 2013, 01:43:06 PM

It was assigned but the students were way up in a corner.   I guess I just like it when I see the student sections under the basket.   However, our student fans were loud, even though they were not down by the court...  Really glad to see a great group of student fans!!! 

(I was sitting with the ... um ... older VU fans - closer to my age.  We were behind the bench.  There were a couple guys in the last row that were very vocal ...  I got a smile from them a few times during the game.)

That might have been my friend and I.  We were sitting in row U, the very last row.  We were already excited to be at the game, and then you add in the few drinks we had before the game,  needless to say we had a great time.

The alumni event was great.  We went to Milwaukee a couple of years ago for the Horizon League Tournament and the turn out for those alumni events were nothing like this past weekend.  I would like to thank Andy again for opening his house to everyone.  His house is quite impressive and it's so great that he is willing to host an event like this.  If you didn't go this time, I would highly recommend going next time if they ever do something like this again.

By the way, as I was leaving with a couple of minutes left in the game I walked by the Valpo bench and told Fernandez that he had a nice dunk.  I didn't expect him to even acknowledge me, but he turned around and smiled and gave me a thumbs up.  Made my day.

swiftmutiny

Quote from: chipper955 on January 14, 2013, 03:56:31 PM
By the way, as I was leaving with a couple of minutes left in the game I walked by the Valpo bench and told Fernandez that he had a nice dunk.  I didn't expect him to even acknowledge me, but he turned around and smiled and gave me a thumbs up.  Made my day.
Vashil is a good guy. He came out to the student bus right before we left the Klotsche, thanked everybody and went down the aisle giving everyone high fives. Matt Kenney and one of the assistant coaches thanked us and saw us off as well. :thumbsup:

Smj

That might have been my friend and I.  We were sitting in row U, the very last row.  We were already excited to be at the game, and then you add in the few drinks we had before the game,  needless to say we had a great time.
I was with my wife and my son.   During the drive home we were talking and he mentioned that we all laughed when you guys yelled something about a UWM player that got his fourth foul....   Do you remember what it was exactly - I couldn't remember?

Quote from: swiftmutiny on January 14, 2013, 04:05:27 PM
Vashil is a good guy. He came out to the student bus right before we left the Klotsche, thanked everybody and went down the aisle giving everyone high fives. Matt Kenney and one of the assistant coaches thanked us and saw us off as well. :thumbsup:
One thing I have always enjoyed about following Valpo ball is the players - class acts...    Last year at a game the players all gave my son high fives and it was the highlight of the night.   (Sometimes the little things make a big difference.)

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on January 14, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
I was with my wife and my son.   During the drive home we were talking and he mentioned that we all laughed when you guys yelled something about a UWM player that got his fourth foul....   Do you remember what it was exactly - I couldn't remember?

I bet I know: "4 FOULS????  Uh-oh, he's in FOUL TROUBLE!!!!"  When I learned this one at the 2000 Great Alaska Shootout, I thought it was cute.  Now, I'm not so sure.

valpotx

I enjoyed the 'you suck' chants during The Hey Song when I was in school.  That was promptly taken away my last year of school when the administrators finally understood what was being said  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2013, 11:27:55 AM
I enjoyed the 'you suck' chants during The Hey Song when I was in school.  That was promptly taken away my last year of school when the administrators finally understood what was being said  ;D
Maybe it is just me, but I have always found that phrase particularly disgusting.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

tx, the administrators knew what the VU Cru meant, they were just too liberal in giving them more chances to go with it because The Hey Song is a major part of everyone's college basketball experience. I heard the details about this every time the band couldn't play the Hey Song at games. Of course, it never really stopped someone who wasn't exactly a member of VU Cru's mailing list to screw that up, and everyone else going along with it.

agibson

I'm still impressed that V-A-L, P-A-R, A-I-S, O was successfully substituted for another less savory phrase.

valporun

agibson, I guess it was the way of keeping The Hey Song clean for the kids in the crowd...

wh

One that I don't ever get tired of is the "Left, right, left, right, sit down!" chant when an opposing player fouls out and walks toward the bench.  Some players seem to get pretty bothered by it, which makes it that much funnier.

agibson

I'm still waiting to hear "double digits", and "Winning team, losing team" in person.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 15, 2013, 04:17:08 PM

I'm still impressed that V-A-L, P-A-R, A-I-S, O was successfully substituted for another less savory phrase.
I will forever wish that they had come up with something else.  Turning it into a spelling bee always struck me as weak.  If it was a dig against the mangling of the town's name by outsiders, spelling it out doesn't get the job done.  Pronouncing it would be better.

LaPorteAveApostle

That was substituted for something else?

As a musician it always troubled me what a poor fit that was syntactically...  What were they expurgating?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I will save everyone the trouble of replying to this telling me that I'm an old fart...   I already know.   

I want to say that I like that our players and fans have class.   I have found some cheering to be rude...   players get technicals for trash talking so fans should be respectful as well...   I remember when I was in high school the coach stopped a game to walk over to the student section because the cheering was not respectful of players that are all trying to win and enjoy playing for their team.