• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/19/13 Wright State at Valpo game thread

Started by bbtds, January 14, 2013, 03:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I thought I would start this thread because this game comes up 2 days after the Valpo/Detroit game this Thursday. I just got done watching the Wright State at Loyola game played in Chicago that the Raiders barely pulled out at the end of the game by one point. The key for Valpo seems to be is to shut down the Raiders' point guard Reggie Arceneaux. He hit several big three pointers at the end of the game. Also Wright State played much tougher defense then Valpo did down the stretch against Loyola. So Valpo's offense will need to meet the challenge that Wright State presents on the defensive end.

valpotx

I still believe WSU's record is misleading at this point in the conference season.  Just like Loyola, they are a middle of the pack team in the HL this year.  Yes, we lost to Loyola at home, but I don't see this happening at WSU.  I see us hitting our shots, and Rowdy taking over again.

Valpo 75
WSU 63
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I agree Wright State is a fraud.  Their only chance is Valpo's quick turnaround and tired legs.

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on January 14, 2013, 05:31:31 PMbut I don't see this happening at WSU

FYI, the game is at Valpo. Maybe you meant "against WSU."

valpotx

Well crap, I was thinking our next two were on the road for some reason
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: HC on January 14, 2013, 06:08:28 PM
I agree Wright State is a fraud.  Their only chance is Valpo's quick turnaround and tired legs.

HC - The thing I respect about WSU since we've been in the league is they win the games they're supposed to win, something that we're struggled with for years.  Granted they've played a pretty weak schedule, but the fact remains they're 12-4 with only 1 bad loss - Bowling Green.  It's pretty hard to criticize that, especially considering they were picked to finish dead last in conference.  Just my .02.

SanityLost17

I think there is a very good chance that we lose this game.  Tough game at Detroit followed by not getting home until really late Thursday night.  Meanwhile, a very good coaching staff at WSU gets 8 full days to focus on just one opponent.   I do not understand why they did not schedule the Valpo @ Detroit game for Wednesday night?   UIC and Loyola play on Wednesday night.  So UIC gets an extra day to prepare before heading on the road to Detroit to play on Saturday.  This makes absolutely no sense.  Technically Valpo is at home, but we have to travel just as far to get there as WSU does.  We are only going to beat them to Valpo by like 14 hours.

I would hate to see us lose a hard fought and well played game to Detroit by 2 or 3 points, followed by coming home to a poor shooting night (dead legs) to once again lose by 2 or 3 points.  However, it is definitely possible.   

bbtds

The reason for the scheduling issue is the almighty dollars brought by ESPN to televise a game that is more desired by their TV viewing college basketball fans. It seems each Thursday they choose one of the games that normally would be played on Wednesday but gets moved to Thursday because that is when ESPN has time for the Horizon League. It's either move the game to Thursday or the HL isn't on ESPN that week.

Here is ESPN's schedule for Wednesday night:

1/16   8:00 PM EST        Houston Rockets vs Dallas Mavericks     ESPN

1/16   7:00 PM EST      #14 NC State vs. Maryland        ESPN2

1/16   7:00 PM EST      Pittsburgh vs. Villanova             ESPNU

1/16   9:00 PM EST      West Virginia vs. Iowa State     ESPN2

1/16   9:00 PM EST      #16 Kansas State vs. TCU         ESPNU

1/16   11:00 PM EST      St. Mary's (CA.) vs. BYU             ESPNU

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on January 15, 2013, 05:34:16 PMThe reason for the scheduling issue is the almighty dollars brought by ESPN to televise a game

And everything else desirable that comes with being on national TV, of course. 

wh

I have a feeling if the situation were reversed and we were the team with 8 days rest, someone would be expressing a concern that we may come out flat on Saturday because of too much time off between games.  Every failure has a ready-made excuse. If we can't overcome an unfavorable glitch in the schedule to win a HOME game with a day to recover, it will be all about mental toughness, not tired legs. 

HC

Our guys are 21-22 years old and we have a deep bench....I'm going to dismiss my tired legs statement (unless they go double OT Thursday) because they should have no trouble recooperating.

LaPorteAveApostle

nothin' but respect for the Section EE, but I just had to recooperate with MY MAN:
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bballraider

I don't know what the guys at the HL were smoking when they created these schedules, but they seem really unfair and not well thought out. I can't wait until we add some more teams and fix the scheduling.

For Wright State we had 3 home games, followed by 4 away games, I can't believe the league isn't smart enough to even it out a little so nobody plays that many consecutive games either home or away.  This week after not playing all week, we go to Valpo Saturday, Go to Detroit Monday and then go to YSU on Thursday and finally return home on Saturday to face UIC. That's absolutely crazy, after not playing in 8 days.

But anyhow, I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday with you guys. This league is crazy this year, if you do not show up to play well either home or way, you will get beat. I think its possible for the league champ this year to have 5 conference losses. I picked Valpo to win the league this year early on, but after seeing my Raiders play, I'm not counting them out, and you never know which Detroit team is going to show up. It should be a fun and entertaining year this year. Good Luck and hopefully your game with Detroit goes into many overtimes.  ;D

valpotx

Quote from: HC on January 15, 2013, 06:41:30 PM
Our guys are 21-22 years old and we have a deep bench....I'm going to dismiss my tired legs statement (unless they go double OT Thursday) because they should have no trouble recooperating.

I agree, unless you have a real injury, tired legs should never be an excuse at that age.  It felt like I could play forever back then lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Too bad no capo for this critical game.   I totally agree that refs need to control the physicality of a game ...   However, I do not think that a ref should be able to make a call "during" a game that affects a future game.   Following the game when emotion and perspective changes - fine...   

Watching replays of Capo' foul I think he was going for where the ball was.   The refs make a call affecting the next game on a screen the size of my f¥#€ing i-pad.   How about getting to a better screen.   Actually - this stopping play because someone got hit is stupid and inconsistently applied - Kevin got hit square in the face during the Detroit game - it was obvious and no call ...   I replayed to make sure it was what I thought I saw a few times.  (Of course he just kept playing...)  Now, with this stoppage of play for review, we see at least one player holding his head during every game.  I just do not agree that it was a flagrant 2 (flagrant 1 - definitely.)  (@ SMJ steps down from his soap box... @)

I still think we will do well against Wright Stink..  (Damn autocorrect  ;) ) I meant Wright "State".

LaPorteAveApostle

Be interesting to know whether there is any post-game video review, as well...i.e., do they have the league office review such a thing, and could they decide it was a flagrant-1, and rescind the suspension?

Wishful thinking, perhaps.  But the NBA does things like that sometimes.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Clearly, Anderson created the impression of a more flagrant foul when he pulled the ball back in an effort at showboating with a windmill dunk. Bobby was going to commit the foul, but he was swiping at where the ball should have been had Anderson simply gone straight up for the dunk. Unfortunately, the contributing factor of the hotdog action by Anderson didn't fit into the analysis by the officials.

Let's hope that this doesn't effect the outcome of the Wright State game. Kevin has got to be exhausted and sore after last night's game, and he is going to need some help off the bench from Vashil tomorrow.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpopal on January 18, 2013, 09:23:39 AM
Clearly, Anderson created the impression of a more flagrant foul when he pulled the ball back in an effort at showboating with a windmill dunk. Bobby was going to commit the foul, but he was swiping at where the ball should have been had Anderson simply gone straight up for the dunk. Unfortunately, the contributing factor of the hotdog action by Anderson didn't fit into the analysis by the officials.

Let's hope that this doesn't effect the outcome of the Wright State game. Kevin has got to be exhausted and sore after last night's game, and he is going to need some help off the bench from Vashil tomorrow.

I know! Capo was just going to foul legitimately, and maybe get the flagrant 1 at worst. But of course Anderson, being the showboater he is, goes for a windmill dunk. In that sense, I feel he got what he deserved. He could have gone for a normal dunk and not gotten hurt as badly.

valpopal

Also, a lot of credit goes to Bobby for hustling down court to catch up with the much faster Anderson, who admittedly slowed himself a bit at the end by going for the theatrical windmill dunk. The fact Bobby never gave up on a play he easily could have is admirable and should not be overlooked.

truth219

I think we will be fine without bobby. Kvw is the real deal...and if him, rowdy, buggs, and kenney do their thing...should be a blow out.
Valpo 80
Wright st 65

valpopal

Here is another take from the Detroit perspective on Bobby's foul of Anderson, even calls it "the dirtiest play of the basketball season." Once again, there seems to be no effort to analyze closely and see that Anderson contributed to the collision by attempting the windmill dunk for the ESPN highlights, which also would have been an act of showing up Valpo. Thankfully, Bobby stopped him or else Detroit would have added 2 points, the crowd would have erupted with energy, and Valpo might be demoralized. Thus, this was an important turning point in the game.

Even looking at the clips here, one can see Anderson's attempt to showboat helped create the harsh collision:

http://guyism.com/sports/valparaiso-goons-it-up-in-dirtiest-play-of-the-college-basketball-season.html

valpotx

If they think that he intentionally did that, they don't know basketball.  Anderson created the foul by being a showboat as others mentioned.  It goes in line with the rest of the team, even though it is fun to watch him dunk.  Bobby is not coordinated enough to adjust his attempted block, as you can clearly see he was swatting where the ball WAS 0.5 seconds beforehand.  He did have a mad look on his face, but even his reaction said that he didn't do it on purpose.  That blog or whatever it is, belongs to a moron if they think that was the dirtiest play, or even a dirty play at all
"Don't mess with Texas"

DMvalpo18

Quote from: truth219 on January 18, 2013, 12:23:23 PM
I think we will be fine without bobby. Kvw is the real deal...and if him, rowdy, buggs, and kenney do their thing...should be a blow out.
Valpo 80
Wright st 65

Well, it looks like somebody is starting to change their tune.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on January 18, 2013, 09:51:15 AM
Also, a lot of credit goes to Bobby for hustling down court to catch up with the much faster Anderson, who admittedly slowed himself a bit at the end by going for the theatrical windmill dunk. The fact Bobby never gave up on a play he easily could have is admirable and should not be overlooked.

I loved the play and the toughness.  We have been complaining for years that we need more physical bigs.  Well, we finally have them in KVW and Bobby and both paid big dividends last night.   

wh