• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/23 Green Bay at Valpo Thread

Started by talksalot, January 19, 2013, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2013, 09:13:26 PMYeah, at least Jay waited until the Miami game to quit on the team. 

+1 internetz
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

I just read the article, and I feel like it has to be about what his specific role is, and the playing time devoted to his role, as much as it might not be about total game playing time, as Cerroni says, it seems that it has a lot to do with how much playing time is devoted to his role on the team. Any other differences, if they couldn't hash it out privately, explains why Green Bay is such a streaky/sporadic team from one game to the next. Doesn't seem like UWGB has court leadership it needs to keep the wins coming, regardless of how hard it is supposed to be to win on the road. I mean Valpo has won on the road a lot this season, what did we do to put it together that other teams struggle to figure out?

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on February 15, 2013, 11:05:02 AMDoesn't seem like UWGB has court leadership it needs to keep the wins coming, regardless of how hard it is supposed to be to win on the road. I mean Valpo has won on the road a lot this season, what did we do to put it together that other teams struggle to figure out?

Maturity. Don't you think Dority or Coleman might have some of the same thoughts as Cerroni. But they realize that their fellow team members see them as important and that makes it a lot easier to accept your roll on the team. Bryce does a great job of selling the need for certain players to play certain rolls on the team. Wardle was not able to sell the limited roll concept he had for Cerroni because Kam does not visualize the team concept Wardle is trying to sell such as the members of the Valpo team possess.

valporun

Thanks, bbtds. I guess I can see that with Cerroni now.

valpotx

Dority has been hurting, which has been part of the reason for his minutes drop.  No idea on Coleman, so hopefully that gets answered.  Both stand to earn significant minutes next year, which could also be keeping them around.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2013, 12:58:06 PMDority has been hurting, which has been part of the reason for his minutes drop.  No idea on Coleman, so hopefully that gets answered.  Both stand to earn significant minutes next year, which could also be keeping them around.

Yeah, Coleman and Dority (and to an extent Bobby, but he's getting consistent minutes now) would only hurt themselves by speaking out about their playing time this year.  They know that next year they'll all be starting and getting 30 minutes/game, and they'll be the team leaders. With a bench as young as ours will be next year they know that the key to our success next season will be strong leadership from those 3
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

Is anyone willing to contribute the funds to get Vashil some work with Hakeem Olajuwan?   8)
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 14, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
wow...WH or anyone that regularly stops by others' message boards...are GB fans speculating about this? 

the timing--plus his not-inconspicuous role ("It wasn't anything playing-time related. It had nothing to do with playing time.")--makes this so weird.

imagine if Jay Harris had left at this point last year.  that must be what they're going through.
I remember a VU player that left abruptly in the 80's.  Well know player as well.  Transferred to Valpo from Florida, and then to Nevada, if I remember correctly.  Of course, almost everyone knew why.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on February 15, 2013, 06:03:48 PMOf course, almost everyone knew why.

almost everyone : 80s :: no one : today
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on February 15, 2013, 06:03:48 PM
wow...WH or anyone that regularly stops by others' message boards...are GB fans speculating about this? 

the timing--plus his not-inconspicuous role ("It wasn't anything playing-time related. It had nothing to do with playing time.")--makes this so weird.

imagine if Jay Harris had left at this point last year.  that must be what they're going through.
I remember a VU player that left abruptly in the 80's.  Well know player as well.  Transferred to Valpo from Florida, and then to Nevada, if I remember correctly.  Of course, almost everyone knew why.
Rob Harden.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 18, 2013, 11:55:01 AMRob Harden.

wow. really?  "in my day" i remember seeing his and roger's names up on the wall for being Indiana All-Stars, along with others like Casey Schmidt...

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 18, 2013, 11:55:01 AM
Quote from: covufan on February 15, 2013, 06:03:48 PM

Rob Harden.
Yes, in his last game with the Crusaders he gave asst coach, Dick Fick, the finger before sitting himself on the end of the bench and pouting. Then he was gone. He was a Valpo High grad. His brother, Roger, had played for Kentucky.

LaPorteAveApostle

Valpo89

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2013, 07:03:09 PM
Quote from: covufan on February 15, 2013, 06:03:48 PMOf course, almost everyone knew why.

almost everyone : 80s :: no one : today
Come on LaPorte. I'm a little disappointed you didn't know that one, even though it happened when you were probably about 5 years old.
It was a huge story back then. First of all, it was huge that Rob Harden transferred from Florida back home to play for Tom Smith. Rob had a bit of an edge, and that's probably why he flipped off the assistant coach. So then it was quite disappointing when things didn't work out at VU.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, I have certainly had an education thanks to y'all and the old threads I dug up (including one from the Liberty Flames' fanboard about Rodny, which unfortunately ended with his obituary).

I need to order Coach Knauff's book on "The Green and White", while we're at it!  http://thegreenandwhitebook.com/order.asp

Apparently to the world, only Rob's freshman year at UF counted.  Too bad.  Would be interesting to see how the rest of his career turned out.  http://www.totalbasketballstats.com/Player.asp?id=20768

Valpo89

Rob's career at Nevada Reno went fairly well, if I recall. At least he didn't get kicked off the team for flipping off anybody.
I think he may have played in the NCAA Tournament.

Roger was hoping his son Joe would be a Division I player, but I don't think that panned out. I know at one point he was going to send a tape to Homer.
Roger is also in his first year of coaching a high school varsity boys team in Kentucky.

valpo84

I was at the infamous Rob Harden game, and I'm not sure if he was flipping off Dick Fick or Tom Smith. Harden was the best player on the court for Valpo during those brief few games that season (82-83??), but had some attitude issues. That was a fun backcourt with Johnny Mac (McIlvaine) and Rob. I remember he had had a couple of bad calls on him, and they took him out. He was hot (not surprisingly) and they were "coaching" him as he came off the court. He was trying to cool off and headed to the water fountain in the old Hilltop which would be about where the visiting players entrance would be today, and they were still "coaching" him so he just nonchalantly turning back to our bench and gave the one-finger salute. I turned to my fellow student and said "did he just flip off coach"? And we both agreed we saw exactly what we thought we saw. Definitely one of the top 5 "highlights" of the early 1980s-AMCU-8 days.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 18, 2013, 01:04:21 PM
Rob's career at Nevada Reno went fairly well, if I recall. At least he didn't get kicked off the team for flipping off anybody.
I think he may have played in the NCAA Tournament.

Roger was hoping his son Joe would be a Division I player, but I don't think that panned out. I know at one point he was going to send a tape to Homer.
Roger is also in his first year of coaching a high school varsity boys team in Kentucky.
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/05/01/2171786/former-kentucky-standout-harden.html

Roger is head coach at Williamstown High School, where his wife Gina is from.

valpo84

Was wrong on what year Rob Harden played at VU -- it was 83-84.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, golly, V-89, you were right.  i was 5.

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 18, 2013, 12:37:19 PM
wow.  just...um...wow.  that's high-larious.

HARDEN FUN:

quitting UF:  http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19820422&id=eEk1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=JWgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5335,4068709

kind of fun update on the family:  http://www.poweredbyrsn.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7844

and it's always good to get a thread from the old board on the subject: http://valpofans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=valposports&action=print&thread=1368

Thanks for the trip down memory lane ... I played against Rob in high school and during his short career at Valpo.  I'd say "fiery" would be a good description for his personality. 

I saw Valpo HS and MC Rogers at the regional every year and it was always entertaining when those guys faced off.  Rogers beat Valpo in the regional finals in '79 (after Rogers beat #1 SB Adams in the afternoon) and Valpo won the regional in '80 (beat Rogers in afternoon) and '81 (beat Rogers in finals).