• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/30/13 Valpo at Youngstown State game thread

Started by bbtds, January 24, 2013, 09:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

After watching the Wright State at YSU game highlights it's evident that the Raiders didn't play a bad game at all and stayed fairly close (within 3 to 5 points) in the early going. Youngstown got great games from Kendrick Perry and Damian Eargle and a lot of the supporting team members. It wasn't until the last few minutes of the game that YSU got up by 13 at one point and then managed to with stand a WSU push and pulled out the 7 point win.

Valpo will have to be playing at the top of their game again with few turnovers and hitting the threes in order to knock off the Penguins. YSU has a home game against Cleveland State on Saturday that is on ESPN 3 before they play Valpo.

valpo84

The Penguins are tough at home, and that gym is a "dump." I have hated going there since the old Mid-Con days and it is always a dogfight and the refs clearly favor the home team. Mid -90s game they called a phantom moving screen on Viscovic that almost cost us the game. Couple years ago Valpo had to crawl back into the game after a tough start. Rough place.

Anybody planning to go. We will be attending from Akron (west side right on 77) if people want to ride. Send me a PM.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Didn't Detroit kill them by 50 at YSU?  Seems like how tough it will be depends on which YSU team shows up.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpocleveland

I am considering going. About an 1hr 15 min drive from downtown Cleveland. Definitely going to the CSU game on the 9th!

valpotx

We seem to always beat YSU for as long as I have followed Valpo, and I don't see that changing:

Valpo 73
YSU 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on January 24, 2013, 02:00:29 PM
We seem to always beat YSU for as long as I have followed Valpo, and I don't see that changing:

Valpo 73
YSU 64
They finally scored a win last year at their place.  They did beat us a time or two in the Mid-Con, of course.

wh

As long as this team is mentally tougher than the '10-11 team was on the way to YSU - I have a cold, I AM cold, it sure is cold in here - we should be fine.

vu72

Not to jinx anything, but I'm wondering if the stat gurus on the board agree with me that we seem to have finally turned a corner and now have our player rotations in place and are playing at the level many of us expected from the start.

We now are 3rd in the conference in scoring, 4th in defense,  1st in FG %, 1st in 3 pt %, 1st in rebounding margin and 3rd in assists per game.In our last game we had 13 assts versus 8 turnovers and against Wright State, we had 16 assts to only 7 turnovers.

It seems the rotations are fairly set and of course Bryce has options as the opponent changes. To me it is clear that Bobby has made a real difference against a team like Green Bay, who is really big. Last year he had to face Brown and Cougill with the help of Richie Edwards, not really much help.

Against faster teams like Detroit, the addition of Dority and Coleman will/has been as big help.

Finally, does anyone know anything more about Alex Rossi?  Presume he will try for a sixth year medical redshirt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

I agree with '72... I'd like another crack at Nebr, Oak and a Mulligan with LUC with the current rotation hitting stride.

Two years ago yesterday, we played GB in the 21st game of the season... and they beat us in the ARC....actually, Brown beat us in the ARC.  And we went on to finish the last 14 games with a record of 8-6, ending 22-11 and a CIT berth.... This time we WON the 21st game of the season...

Over the past 26 years, we have been 16-5 two other times.... we have not had a better start in D-1.  The other two times?  98/99 we wound up 23-9 losing to Maryland in Round 1 in Orlando; and 96/97 when we wound up 24/7 and almost beat Boston College in Salt Lake City in Round 1.   The year in between those two... yes THAT year, we had just won our 12th, against 9 losses....we then went on to win 11 straight.   The 10th loss of that season was to Rhode Island in St. Louis.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2013, 09:25:40 PM98/99 we wound up 23-9 losing to Maryland in Round 1 in Orlando; and 96/97 when we wound up 24/7 and almost beat Boston College in Salt Lake City in Round 1. 

How things have changed...had to go to Neils Science' auditorium for the former; crammed into Kretzmann for the latter.

Now you just open your laptop.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

We need to continue playing well, and finding rotations that work during the game. 

Valpo  - 73
YSU   -  66

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 25, 2013, 10:41:38 AMHow things have changed...had to go to Neils Science' auditorium for the former; crammed into Kretzmann for the latter.

Now you just open your laptop.

I hope we're not all hovering over our laptops, individually, separately, if we go back to the dance!

historyman

Quote from: agibson on January 25, 2013, 01:17:14 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 25, 2013, 10:41:38 AMHow things have changed...had to go to Neils Science' auditorium for the former; crammed into Kretzmann for the latter. Now you just open your laptop.
I hope we're not all hovering over our laptops, individually, separately, if we go back to the dance!

If Valpo makes the dance I'm doing everything in my power to get to the first game. I think we are all know now how few and far between NCAA appearances could be. Valpo fans were spoiled back in the latter Mid-Con days when the Crusaders rarely missed an NCAA appearance.

If I can't make it to the game then we can make plans for an event on campus or some where in Valpo to have a viewing party. Of course other viewing parties will spring up in big cities all over the country.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUfan

Road Games are all a Challenge in the Horizon league, keep playing with the intensity of the last six. YSU is a Challenge VU 65 YSU 60

talksalot

The pairings party would be the Sunday night students return from spring break...but I digress... Valpo 70-58.... finish the first half in style... and I'm sure Bryce will show them the WSU film

historyman

Valpo   86
Youngstown St  79

The only way to beat the Penguins after falling behind by 15 in the early part of the second half is to put up over 50 points in the half and win it in the last 2 minutes. A lot like the Detroit and Wright St wins.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: talksalot on January 25, 2013, 06:19:23 PM
The pairings party would be the Sunday night students return from spring break...but I digress... Valpo 70-58.... finish the first half in style... and I'm sure Bryce will show them the WSU film

Are you referring to the NCAA selection show? Because I've never heard it referred to as the pairings party before.

HC

I'm watching YSU play CSU right now on ESPN3....I'd say you let YSU hit a couple early threes because that is about all they want to shoot, open or not.  Valpo is much better then CSU in every aspect of the game.  I'll say Valpo wins this one easily.  76-64. 

Watch out for this Cameron Beilon (spell check) kid.  He can score it.

truth219

I can see why valpo was picked to win the conference. We have the most talent. After seeing all the other teams, if we play average to slightly better we should be most teams. If we play well we should win most games by ten points on average. Detroit is easily the second best team, wright state and green bay are decent but they aren't very deep. We could very well run the table on the conferance. If rowdy and another gaurd get hot we can blow the doors open on any team really and kevin is in my opinion the best true post player in the conference. Alec brown is good, but kevin is better. At least I think so.

LaPorteAveApostle

The Only Game Preview You Will Ever Need,
Provided You're Not Chronically Needy

Teams, records:  wait why is this so early
where to watch:  'cos i'm leaving town for a while myob.

Relevant info
Tempo-free stats
POINTS PER POSSESSION:  Valpo 1.04 (2nd in HL to Detroit), YSU .97 (t5 w/WSU.)
POINTS ALLOWED PER POSS:  Valpo .91 (now t1st! w/WSU), YSU .97 (t5th w/GB)
Basically, it still takes 8 possessions for Valpo to go one point up on their opponents; it takes YSU, oh, forever.

Possessions per game (tempo):  Valpo 66.4 (5th), YSU 69.5 (4th)
They're pretty fast, then again, they're just pushin' a rock, pushin' a rock, pushin' a rock (turnin' around)...

eFG%:  Valpo 53.4% (1st in HL), YSU 47.7% (t7th w/GB)

(You can't forget the turnovers, dude.  Always, the turnovers. #StillWorseThanMilwaukee *shiver*)

KNOW THINE ENEMY:
DANGERMOUSE:
He's not tall, but he does have this...aura around him. No, wait, it's a forcefield.

The string of tiny guards in this spot continues:  come on down, Kendrick Perry!  The 6 foot, 160 lb. junior--stand up, young man!--leads his team in 8 of 15 major categories.  I said "stand U..."--oh.  I'm sorry.  I didn't realize  Ahem.  Perry, one of the best guards in the HL, plays the most minutes, takes the most shots, scores the most points, draws the most fouls, gets the most assists, and steals, AND is tied for 2nd most rebounds despite not being anywhere tall as listed (like everyone else, sure).  He's 64th in the nation in efficiency, out of 1802 qualifiers (3rd in HL)

He also leads the league in GFPG (game faces per game):

So yeah.  Watch out for him.  There's your free analysis.  This is nothing new; in both games (split) last year, he was 6-11 in each, averaging 19.5.  As a freshman he shot poorer but still averaged 11 ppg, mostly because in the first of 3 meetings we held him to 2 points.  He has made precisely 6 FG in each of the 4 games since.

So he'll get his 6.  The trick is to keep him behind the arc, where he's second in attempts but just 4th in rate of makes.  Once he penetrates, well, then, yipes, that's on you. I told you to keep him behind the arc. #strategery

PENFOLD
The numbers one and four image hits for "DJ Cole" "Youngstown St" are of a white dude wearing #11.  no joke.

It seems like every team has one starter that you're like, "why? WHY are you THERE? WHOSE WIFE DO YOU HAVE PICTURES OF..."  I mean, the Beatles had Ringo, the Yankees have A-Rod, Mt. Rushmore has Teddy, and YSU has DJ Cole.  He starts, plays 58.3% of minutes, and then scurries around staying out of Perry/Belin/Eargle's ways, avoiding such entanglements as shooting (7.45%) and rebounding (6.31%), getting offensive rebounds at a rate that screams "RANDOM BOUNCES MUST AFTER ALL OCCUR" (2.12%).  He's scored more than ten points TWICE this year (one of which was garbage time in that garbage game against Detroit).

Out of 1802 D1 players who play enough to rank, he's 1602 in PPG; 1564 in RPG; 1551 in usage rate. 
Among 48 HL players who qualify for the same, he's 43rd, 43rd, and 42nd.  Wow.  Just...wow.

EPIC STRUGGLE WITH JORDAN AARON:  (75-72 YSU win)
Cole:  37 min, 3-6 shooting, 7 pts, 5 ast.
Aaron: 40 min, 5-9 shooting, 13 pts, 8 ast.

Actually, I...I don't know what to say about that. (thinking...deciding to move on without snappy remark)

He's a friendly-enough-looking guy.  Maybe he'd be real enthusiastic if you kept him here:

WAIT FORGET THAT NOT TIL FEBRUARY.  Just stay riiiiiiiight there.  THAT's the ticket...

THE PART WHERE I PREDICT THE SAME THING THAT RPIFORECAST DOES
Valpo by 3.  62% chance of win.  THE ROAD STREAK LIVETH
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: HC on January 26, 2013, 01:48:09 PMValpo is much better then CSU in every aspect of the game.

Sure they are, but are they better than Youngstown?

HC

Well since CSU was playing right along with YSU at the time I posted that I was pointing out that since Valpo is much better then CSU at everything we should be just fine in our next game against YSU.

bbtds

Game time: 1/30/13 7:05 p.m. EST / 6:05 p.m. CST

ESPN 3    http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/745814/valparaiso-vs-youngstown-state-exclusive

Livebox:  http://www.freelivebox.eu/%3bmatchid-130128140615-link-1-watch-Valparaiso-vs-Youngstown-St..html

First Row:  http://www.Firstrowsports.eu

Please share any other feeds you know about here.

Always remember that no one is vouching for the safety of these websites and you use them at your own risk.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2013, 09:47:43 AM

ESPN 3    http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/745814/valparaiso-vs-youngstown-state-exclusive

Livebox:  http://www.freelivebox.eu/%3bmatchid-130128140615-link-1-watch-Valparaiso-vs-Youngstown-St..html

Always remember that no one is vouching for the safety of these websites and you use them at your own risk.

What confidence level do you have of that freelivebox link actually working? The combination of DirecTV for TV and Time Warner for internet apparently means I can't watch any ESPN3 games.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on January 29, 2013, 09:51:37 AM
Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2013, 09:47:43 AM

What confidence level do you have of that freelivebox link actually working? The combination of DirecTV for TV and Time Warner for internet apparently means I can't watch any ESPN3 games.

What I have found is that with some websites you have to download their player if you don't already have it. When downloading websites will attach all kinds of advertising tools and bookmark bars, tool bars, change your homepage etc. I have yet to find the need to download their player because I have ESPN 3. Unfortunately Wiziwig doesn't do many college basketball games. The only one I could find was Livebox. I would wait for more because I'm sure there are better ones that other posters know about. Sometimes they work better for Europeans too. Many of the websites come from Europe and feature cricket or soccer(football). 

The whole purpose of this thread was to get ahead of the game for those like you who can't get ESPN 3.