• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Unanswered Questions

Started by valpopal, January 31, 2013, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I think the sports reporters for the local media have been doing a very good job in covering Valpo this year, and I know they read or post on this message board. Therefore, I thought I would begin a new ongoing topic where members can suggest reasonable, relative, and appropriate questions they would like addressed to Bryce, ML, or the coaches and administration about specific issues by those who have the opportunity to do so.

For instance, despite shooting 62.5% from 3-point range early on, Alex Rossi hasn't played in a long time, and he has seen no playing time at all in conference games. Obviously, there is a reason. This has led to speculation on the board about his physical condition, especially thoughts on a foot problem, or other concerns; however, a recent poster claimed to have knowledge that there is no foot problem and no disciplinary problem with Alex.

This suggests a couple of legitimate questions to Bryce from a reporter: "Why has Rossi sat on the bench throughout the entire conference season, even at times when Valpo has a big late-game lead or when a 3-point shooter could be helpful? Is there a petition for redshirt in the works or a consideration of petitioning?"

Another issue raised on the board concerns the Five-Year Athletics Plan that has been drawn up. Last month there was a suggestion from someone in a position to know that the plan would be revealed in January. However, since January is now over, I think a reporter could ask, without requesting advance details: "When will the plan be revealed and might it be part of President Heckler's State of the University Address on February 14? Does the plan take into account the expected expansion of the Horizon League?"

A third question concerns Horizon League expansion. Apparently, Wright State's university president publicly stated on the record in a television interview an announcement would be coming in March, it would include more than one addition to the league, and the news will be well received. A good question, one that would not require revelation of specifics from the VU administration, could cite the Wright State president's quote and ask for a confirmation by the VU administration: "Does the statement by the Wright State president that there will be more than one addition to the league match with an understanding of the situation held by VU?"   

Any additional reasonable and appropriate questions others would like asked?   

VULB#62

Well done and nicely articulated.

Pgmado

I'll take a crack at at least two of these.

Rossi has some sort of medical condition that is being looked into and that is all the coaching staff is saying at the moment. I don't believe it has anything to do with his foot. My guess is that any talk of a redshirt would be complicated at the moment given that Rossi has already redshirted once in his college career. What I can say is that if he doesn't play for the rest of the year, he falls within the parameters of redshirt eligibility. If Rossi wants to redshirt, he'll have to apply for a medical hardship sixth-year wavier I believe and that won't happen until after the season.

Horizon League commish Jon Lecrone stated from the outset that he wasn't interested in Horizon League expansion talk playing out through the media. For the most part, the Presidents and Athletic Directors have kept quiet about expansion matters in accordance with Lecrone's wishes. The few times I've asked questions on this matter have all been dead ends. I think VU's understanding of the situation is that they follow the lead of Lecrone and his wishes are to keep whatever is going to happen under wraps until it's going to happen. My personal opinion is that the Horizon League will add at least one team, if not three. I don't foresee any current Horizon League teams leaving at the moment.

I'm not privy to anything with the Five-Year Athletics plan and I've been covering Valpo long enough that my needle doesn't typically move until ground is broken. There was/is a plan in place to build a track, but that still hasn't happened. The "big" facility news of the year so far has been the addition of the indoor tennis facility at The Courts of Northwest Indiana. I had the chance to attend the first men's tennis match at the new facility and I thought it was great.

Hope that helps a little bit.

bbtds

I don't think you will get these answers until the people in charge, who want to keep them under wraps for reasons not revealed, until those in charge feel it's time. The only real solution here is patience. I'm sure there is a good reason why we have to wait.

truth219

Its too bad rossi was a go for this year, because that kid has a lot of potential. He's got one of the best shots on the team.

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on January 31, 2013, 05:16:04 PM
Hope that helps a little bit.

It does help a bit, though I'd like to hear the full explanations from those who can offer them, and I guess we eventually will. However, it is particularly curious to see Rossi sitting on the bench and completely kept from playing after seeing what a good outside shot he has. It is hardly a secret that there must be a medical issue, and I'm sure it is very frustrating for him, but I think everyone would appreciate it if we knew a redshirt process was going to be pursued so that he doesn't lose out on an entire season of eligibility. At least, I hope the issue isn't too serious and the redshirt course will be possible.

Perhaps ML or ml2 could offer more information about the timing for sharing the Five Year Athletics Plan.

Once again, thanks for the input. I have already complimented your work in another thread, and I think you and the other sportswriters are presenting fine coverage of the team this year. 

wh

Quote from: truth219 on January 31, 2013, 06:43:55 PM
Its too bad rossi was a go for this year, because that kid has a lot of potential. He's got one of the best shots on the team.

There is no doubt we could use another player who is a consistent threat from 3.  YSU had the winning formula against VU on Wed.  Play a collapsing zone the entire game, over play Ryan, under play Buggs, and leave the 3-pt. line open for anyone else.  Time after time, they were literally daring Bogan, Coleman, Dority and of course Buggs to shoot and they responded with miss after miss.  At the same time Ryan is waiting for game to come to him, and it isn't, sometimes until very late in the game.  When these guys are on we look great as a team.  When they're cold (which is as often as not) we are very vulnerable against better opponents. Now that we have played everyone in the league, I look to see this defensive strategy being used A LOT in the 2nd round of conf. play.     

valpo84

We have some information or non-response responses on Horizon League expansion. The flip side would be interesting -- for ML or Bryce, with the changing conference landscape what are the factors that would have you explore leaving the Horizon. For example, the new Pope Conference is intriguing because of the history of the programs, the media markets, the TV contract, and that the schools are private, religious institutions, is that intriguing to Valpo and have we been contacted or inquired. The first question should elicit some response as it's general, the 2d probably elicits a non response but then it's on the record.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

I would say that there is a 0.00000000001% chance that the Catholic 7 has any interest in us.  Not a major market, and can't win against the big boys
"Don't mess with Texas"