• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/30/13 Valpo at Youngstown State game thread

Started by bbtds, January 24, 2013, 09:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Quote from: a3uge on January 29, 2013, 09:51:37 AM
What confidence level do you have of that freelivebox link actually working? The combination of DirecTV for TV and Time Warner for internet apparently means I can't watch any ESPN3 games.

A quick web search reveals quite a few people in your boat who are completely fed up with TW not giving access to ESPN3 unless you have cable through them. 

Seems like the only *legal* alternative is to change ISPs.

govalpogo

Firstrowsports.eu has worked for all but one of our ESPN 3/U games for me this year.  Are we ever going to not have a game on ESPN 3?  I know the ESPN logo and name is nice to have, but I can't really see any advantage over the HL site. 

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2013, 10:03:07 AMWhen downloading websites will attach all kinds of advertising tools and bookmark bars, tool bars, change your homepage etc.
When going to these types of sites I suggest having a script blocker browser add-on which prevents the site from running scripts for viruses and things like unwanted installs.  NoScript for FireFox and NotScripts for Chrome are two of the common ones. Saved me many a time.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on January 29, 2013, 12:39:21 PM
Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2013, 10:03:07 AMWhen downloading websites will attach all kinds of advertising tools and bookmark bars, tool bars, change your homepage etc.
When going to these types of sites I suggest having a script blocker browser add-on which prevents the site from running scripts for viruses and things like unwanted installs.  NoScript for FireFox and NotScripts for Chrome are two of the common ones. Saved me many a time.

I'm on Ubuntu. Problem solved.

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on January 29, 2013, 11:46:45 AM
Firstrowsports.eu has worked for all but one of our ESPN 3/U games for me this year.  Are we ever going to not have a game on ESPN 3?  I know the ESPN logo and name is nice to have, but I can't really see any advantage over the HL site. 

I appreciate the alternate production, from time to time.  Different announcers (though Todd's hard to beat), etc.  Do they bring their own cameras?  I know I sort of expect better/more camera work, better access to replays, I don't remember if this is actually true in practice.

Does the streaming bring sort of a different set of issues to the table?  Maybe fewer complete outages, but somewhat lower average quality?

They have better archiving.

But, I do sympathize.  I'm sure I'd feel differently if I didn't have access to ESPN3.  I'd happily, selfishly, toss the ESPNU games in favor of HLN.  Just because I don't happen to get ESPNU.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2013, 10:03:07 AMWhat I have found is that with some websites you have to download their player if you don't already have it. When downloading websites will attach all kinds of advertising tools and bookmark bars, tool bars, change your homepage etc.

Some fraction of the sites seem to _not_ require any particularly special player, but to have a whole bunch of advertising that tries to get you to click on it, claiming to download "necessary" players, using all kinds of nefarious techniques.

I'd suggest specifically _not_ clicking on any "download" buttons, trying to close all ads, etc. until you're sure you really _don't_ have the necessary software.  And that it's not just some complicated effort to infect your computer.

StlVUFan

Quote from: govalpogo on January 29, 2013, 11:46:45 AM
The WSU game was not on espn3, and I looked last night and found no HLN complete archive of the game.

By the way, I love espn3 because full screen works on my laptop.  HLN full screen does not.  I can hear the audio, but the video is a black screen.

FWalum

I love ESPN3 because I can play it right on my Sony Bravia flat screen TV! I sometimes also play Todd on the radio and try to sync them up rather than listen to the ESPN announcers but they are not terrible if I can't get it to work reasonably well.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 29, 2013, 01:42:17 PMBy the way, I love espn3 because full screen works on my laptop.  HLN full screen does not.  I can hear the audio, but the video is a black screen.

Ah, funny!  What platform?  I've had no problem full-screening HLN.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 29, 2013, 03:36:19 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 29, 2013, 01:42:17 PMBy the way, I love espn3 because full screen works on my laptop.  HLN full screen does not.  I can hear the audio, but the video is a black screen.

Ah, funny!  What platform?  I've had no problem full-screening HLN.

Windows 7 Home

bbtds

There is no link yet on First Row Sports for the Valpo at YSU game but that doesn't mean there won't be one. Also I heard if you communicate with the pirates on their message boards (since it's on ESPN) they will usually provide a feed if they know there is enough interest. No gold coin needed for the pirates. Just numbers of viewers that make it worthwhile for them.

truth219

I'm glad I got espn watch. Sounds like a pain in the but talking to pirates.

HC

If you have an Xbox and a gold membership you can download ESPN3 there as well. 

I'm excited for another game finally!  Slow down KP and Valpo wins going away.

Here's my take on the game, http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2013/01/game-plan-ysu.html?m=1

valpopal

Quote from: VUfan on January 25, 2013, 05:04:16 PMRoad Games are all a Challenge in the Horizon league

At least one of the contributing factors to the difficulty of road games has been diminished, since Valpo flew to YSU a day early rather than take a very long bus ride. I'm also hoping the flight back rather than a road trip will lessen the fatigue factor for Friday night's game, although beating Milwaukee should not be too challenging.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on January 29, 2013, 08:24:43 PMalthough beating Milwaukee should not be too challenging.

If the players think like that they will.......................................................................win anyway because the Crusaders have far superior talent.

talksalot

OK, those of you with the RPI-calculator in hand... assuming we beat YSU and UWM by 20 points each...given their less-than-stellar rippys, will our overall rippy fall too much? or will being 18-5 going into BBuster announcement day help us overcome these lower rated teams?  I know we can't look at these games in a vacuum since there are a couple of hundred games between now and Monday... but just askin'...

bbtds

All I care about is that after beating YSU we will be 7-1 in January and that was what I thought was a very optimistic prediction especially after the opening conference loss to Loyola.

historyman

By the way, what exactly is a rippy? Is it related to an ass whooping? Or a donkey loud noise?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 29, 2013, 09:59:16 PMassuming we beat YSU and UWM by 20 points each...given their less-than-stellar rippys, will our overall rippy fall too much?

I've not looked at it recently, but when I saw that the Bracketbuster pairings were getting delayed by a week, I worried that it would hurt us.

A win on the road at Loyola may help our RPI a little.  But, I'm concerned that a win against Milwaukee, at our place, will have an even greater negative effect.

Hopefully name recognition, the ARC atmosphere, etc. will help us get a decent game.

chef

I win over YSU will definitely move Valpo's RPI. The Crusaders are currently 83rd. Tomorrow at this time they'll be closer to 76 or 77 (meaning a win). Then on Friday, they'll likely lose a few spots back with a win over Milwaukee.

StlVUFan

Quote from: talksalot on January 29, 2013, 09:59:16 PM
OK, those of you with the RPI-calculator in hand... assuming we beat YSU and UWM by 20 points each...given their less-than-stellar rippys, will our overall rippy fall too much? or will being 18-5 going into BBuster announcement day help us overcome these lower rated teams?  I know we can't look at these games in a vacuum since there are a couple of hundred games between now and Monday... but just askin'...
Winning by 20 points is irrelevant to RPI.  We can win by 1 in each game and the impact will be exactly the same.

bbtds

Did anyone watch the Saturday afternoon game Cleveland State at Youngstown State?

That last highlight of Eargle getting "raked" across the face and throwing up a shot that just barely bounced in was remarkable. It looked like this game came down to turnovers. When Youngstown kept their turnovers down they pushed out to a 8 to 10 point lead. After YSU started making turnovers Lee and Forbes starting hitting shots and brought the Vikings back in the game to even take a one point lead. Then Youngstown started taking care of the ball and pushed the lead way out while CSU had no way to stop the Penguins impressive attack.

oklahomamick

Vegas line has Valpo -4. 

We have been playing well and are hot, wish we wouldn't have been idle....  Hopefully we will pick up where we left off before the short break. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 30, 2013, 07:05:50 AM
Vegas line has Valpo -4. 

We have been playing well and are hot, wish we wouldn't have been idle....  Hopefully we will pick up where we left off before the short break. 

yeah, we've been hot, so the lack of play sucks. but maybe a little extra rest will be a bit of a boost to close out jan and move into feb.