• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/30/13 Valpo at Youngstown State game thread

Started by bbtds, January 24, 2013, 09:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

I think we are really starting to click and players are accepting their roles...   I think the game will go back and forth with us pulling ahead in the middle of the second half...    (However, I am hoping our lead is so much that we decide to put our cheerleaders in for the the last 5 minutes.) 

talksalot

someone asked what a rippy is... that's phoenetically spelling RPI...  or, we could talk like a pirate, and say aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpi.

It will be interesting to see how we come out tonight... "rested" or "rusted".  It was nice for the conference to arrange the charter flight (each team gets one for the year) from Valpo to Youngstown...  They used a charter for the Missourah State game & Oakland... but that was paid for by a donor, not the league.

YST has won three in a row... but I believe we are really motivated... and we certainly won't be looking ahead to the next opponent.

bbtds

Shot first row sports an e-mail earlier and lo and behold the Valparaiso vs Youngstown St game is on their website now. I'm not sure if my e-mail actually did any good but the game is there.

valpotx

That is awesome that we have a few charter flights this year.  Is that something we have done in previous years?  That is a selling point for a mid-major program to recruits, as that is definitely not common for most schools our size/prestige
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on January 30, 2013, 10:47:52 AM
That is awesome that we have a few charter flights this year.  Is that something we have done in previous years?  That is a selling point for a mid-major program to recruits, as that is definitely not common for most schools our size/prestige

Probably a direct result of the two times Butler went to the National Championship game. That money came to the conference and was something Butler left behind when they left for the A-10.

valpotx

I just noticed that YSU has Larry Johnson Jr (son of long-time Charlotte Hornet, ex-UNLV star Larry Johnson) on their roster, though he has not played this year.  Does anyone know if he is not good, injured, redshirted? 

They seem to play a set rotation of 7, so not very deep.  They have some similar height to us, and their 6'10" guy does play 17 minutes/game.  Depending on if he is a banger, maybe Vashil can get some minutes if KVW and Bobby have foul issues.  I really would like to see him play at least 4-5 minutes/game from here on out to develop his skills, and keep our other bigs out of foul trouble.  He is not bad on defense, though he does have a tendency to put his arms diagonally instead of straight up as he should.  He showed a decent move or two on offense 2-3 games ago, and actually caught a few passes in traffic for once. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpocleveland

ESPN3 says it is an exclusive game. Any idea what this means? Will I be able to watch it?

bbtds

Quote from: valpocleveland on January 30, 2013, 05:25:52 PM
ESPN3 says it is an exclusive game. Any idea what this means? Will I be able to watch it?

It just means exclusive to ESPN 3 and not on any of the other ESPN TV channels (ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, etc.).

What you don't want is one that says "subject to blackout."

talksalot

I've got the stream up... watchespn.com   but I'm a comcast/xfinity customer... so far, someone needs to box out Eargle.  Pullease.

KL31NY

At least does anyone have working live stats? As of this moment, YSU's live stats, ESPN.com, and cbssports.com are all frozen with 5:30 left in the first. Gosh I hate Youngstown... but I do love Handel's http://handelsicecream.com/
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

govalpogo

truth219

HC

Working great on my Xbox! Now about the play of our team in that first half  :o

wh

What a lifeless go-thru-the-motions 1st half that was.  Dority, Bogan, Coleman and Kinney might as well be in street clothes for as much as they've contributed.  Ryan has got to get more involved in the offense.  We've been fortunate to get away with this kind of stuff before.  Hopefully, we can do it again, but this kind of inconsistent play has got to stop if we ever hope to achieve what we think is our rightful destiny. 

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on January 30, 2013, 07:19:52 PMDoes anyone know why Kenney didn't start the 2nd half and hasn't played since halftime?

Radio says he's having back problems.

truth219

This team looks terrible. They can't get anything going. Why is vashil in. Why can't bogan make a shot

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Is Kenney sick, hurt or what.

Every loose ball, odd rebound and crazy shot has gone YSU's way tonight.  This has been a horrible game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo04

Quote from: FWalum on January 30, 2013, 07:48:53 PM
Is Kenney sick, hurt or what.

Every loose ball, odd rebound and crazy shot has gone YSU's way tonight.  This has been a horrible game.

Quote from: a3uge on January 30, 2013, 07:22:12 PM
Quote from: bbtds on January 30, 2013, 07:19:52 PMDoes anyone know why Kenney didn't start the 2nd half and hasn't played since halftime?

Radio says he's having back problems.

FWalum

The hesitance of this team at times just kills me.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Man - not our night.

Broekhoff missing multiple FT's?  Sitting on the bench for a _long_ time in the second half, timeout from YSU, Rowdy stays out, and Bryce calls _another_ timeout, his last, thirdy seconds later to bring him?

Looked... maybe a little feverish?  Not that we want to hear about viruses.  Maybe should have skipped the haircut.

So many missed FT's for coleman.  And others.

Kenney playing injured for a half, ineffectively.

Not good.

StlVUFan

Did I miss the news report on Kenney's injury?  Todd said he hardly practiced all week.

It's a stinker, folks.

StlVUFan

Also an ungodly performance by the Penguins.  Their basket has been an ocean tonight, ours a dixie cup.

valpotx

Terrible game by us, need to rebound by Friday and not get caught sleepwalking against Milwaukee.  I can stomach this loss, even though we should have won.  The only other game I am concerned about is at Green Bay, since we usually play like crap there.  If we end up 12-4 in conference, we should win the league still.
"Don't mess with Texas"