• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Storming the court" question

Started by bbtds, January 29, 2013, 11:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2013, 02:28:20 PM
In 2005 (give or take) when Jarryd Loyd capped off that 72-71 upset over Milwaukee at the ARC, I hung out in the old (and I mean OLD) Crusader Chat room with someone whose handle was StlUWMFan.  All he had for the game was Todd's call and he was just going off on Todd's home-town 3pter call for being over-the-top excitement.  I asked, "have you ever listened to Bob Ramsey?"  If I'm a fan forced to listen to the opponent's pbp, I'd much rather listen to Todd than The Rammer.

My memory must be crap, because I remember an upset over one of the Wisconsin schools and storming the court.  I could have sworn it was in the 06-07 season.  I go to ESPN to look it up and we lost by 3 to Marquette and didn't play UWM.  Unless they are missing games from that season. It had to have been either 05-06 or 06-07 because I was at Valpo and hadn't transferred yet.

FWI I've been lurking for a little while, joined so I could get the "new" marked next to the posts and this is my first post.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

St Louis Post Dispatch pictures of the storming of the court:

valpotx

Ah yes, the defeated look of Butler.  We have seen that 4 straight  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 01, 2013, 02:49:07 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2013, 02:28:20 PM
In 2005 (give or take) when Jarryd Loyd capped off that 72-71 upset over Milwaukee at the ARC, I hung out in the old (and I mean OLD) Crusader Chat room with someone whose handle was StlUWMFan.  All he had for the game was Todd's call and he was just going off on Todd's home-town 3pter call for being over-the-top excitement.  I asked, "have you ever listened to Bob Ramsey?"  If I'm a fan forced to listen to the opponent's pbp, I'd much rather listen to Todd than The Rammer.

My memory must be crap, because I remember an upset over one of the Wisconsin schools and storming the court.  I could have sworn it was in the 06-07 season.  I go to ESPN to look it up and we lost by 3 to Marquette and didn't play UWM.  Unless they are missing games from that season. It had to have been either 05-06 or 06-07 because I was at Valpo and hadn't transferred yet.

FWI I've been lurking for a little while, joined so I could get the "new" marked next to the posts and this is my first post.
It was 2004-2005.  http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2004-05/1191/milwaukee-vs-valpo-12-11-2004/

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on February 01, 2013, 02:59:50 PM
Ah yes, the defeated look of Butler.  We have seen that 4 straight  ;)

Very true.  Amazing how those games have changed the trajectory and status of both programs.  As I've stated before, "the streak" is a great source of pride for Valpo fans and needs to be recognized somehow inside the ARC.

Those pictures are great ... gotta love the guys in the cow and chicken suits.  If I could go back and relive those days, I would in a heartbeat!

Smj

California stormed the court yesterday in their win over Oregon (10)...   (Looked like fun)

KL31NY

Quote from: wh on January 30, 2013, 06:03:09 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on January 30, 2013, 09:24:21 AM
I present an article from the Washington Post about Maryland storming the court after beating NC State...

QuoteMaryland fans rush the court; cranky people get cranky

I used to share in the occasional crankiness of cranky folks who insisted that post-game court-storming was a sacred ritual to be reserved for only the biggest, manliest, most impressive wins.
But then I remembered that the one time I stormed the court (as a student at Delaware), it was fun. And that having fun is the point of sports fandom. And that there isn't a grand ledger in the sky tallying exactly how many people have stormed the court at how many inappropriate times. And that an "act like you've been there before" attitude from fans could also lead to bored Atlanta Braves supporters skipping playoff games, or bored Maryland basketball fans skipping, say, mid-week N.C. State games. And that anyone who actually argues that a program's goals and expectations are affected or altered or increased or decreased based on students running out of the bleachers to have 120 seconds of post-game fun is a stark raving lunatic who probably shouldn't have access to a keyboard.

Lighten up, Franci. Criticize college students for not going to games, if you'd like. But don't criticize them for showing up and having a good time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/16/maryland-fans-rush-the-court-cranky-people-get-cranky/

This has caused me to re-think.  Let the students have their fun - their way.
Watched in person as UNI stormed the court yesterday after beating #15 Wichita State. It was a good win in an awesome environment. As long as the students are respectful of each other so they stay safe and respectful of how special storming the court should be, let them have some fun with it!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176