• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/1/13: UWM @ Valpo Game Thread

Started by talksalot, January 31, 2013, 04:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Since I did not see another one... I thought I'd start one...with a little history...

This is game #23 of the year.   Going back 20 years to the basketball reformation at Valpo...

We are 11-0 at home in game #23.  We are 4-5 on the road in game #23.    The last time we lost at home in the 23rd game of the season was to Green Bay in 1991-92, when we lost 76-48 (two weeks later, they beat us 69-25 at their place)

BUT wait!  this marks the first year since joining the HL that we have played a home game on #23.

We won at UWM last year 55-52; before that:
Lost at CSU
Won at GB
Lost at WSU
Lost at GB

as a footnote, the UIC game will be our 100th game in the Horizon League Regular Season... we are 56-42 so far...and still we are 1-game over .500 as a D-1 school at 531-530.

HC

Milwaukee has been, well terrible is too kind of a word....really bad in the second half.  I think Valpo will win this one but won't blow them out of the gym.  I'll say a 13 point victory. Hoping for healthy bodies, better shooting, and just what would appear to be more effort then what I saw on TV the other night.

covufan

Those 3's and FT's that would not fall will begin to fall - at an alarming rate.

Valpo  - 83
UWM   - 53

valpotx

I really hope that being in the friendly confines of the ARC will get us going again:

Valpo 81
Milwaukee 65
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Smj

Bringing my dad to the game tonight...  Sure hope he gets to see a good showing.   

I went to earlier UWM game and hope to see us start this game like we did that one.   Ryan drilled a three and it was contagious.   Everything looked easy after that.

valpo84

I would really like to see us start the game with Carolina baseline pick alley oop to Ryan to get him started. Short of that, something easy for him early and lots of post touches early for KVW. If we do that, then maybe the clutching by Bogan, Dority and Coleman will turn into fluid, non-thinking 3 attempts that fall through the twine like a winter's soft snow. Also Jordan -- some parabolas on your shots.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

HC

He started pretty easily up in Milwaukee, with that 3 pointer right off the tip!

Smj

Quote from: HC on February 01, 2013, 01:11:37 PM
He started pretty easily up in Milwaukee, with that 3 pointer right off the tip!

It was awesome!  And it just seems to get everyone else going.  ( But i have to agree with 84 - running plays to Kevin early and a set play to get Ryan something early seems to be important for us.)

HC

I'd also like to see KVW get involved early and often tonight, and well every night.

VUfan

Valpo 74 UWM 55 lots of Defense pressure and inside passing, does it

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on February 01, 2013, 02:48:57 PM
I'd also like to see KVW get involved early and often tonight, and well every night.

every night - without post touches, it is real easy to sit on our perimeter guys. the inside-out game is what we should strive for on most possessions.

oklahomamick

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 01, 2013, 04:21:23 PMevery night - without post touches, it is real easy to sit on our perimeter guys. the inside-out game is what we should strive for on most possessions.

agreed and well said.  We are an 18.5 favorite though....we will win regardless of who gets the touches
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

So, I'm getting intermittent video with lots of blue circles and then into the action.  Two questions:  I'm getting the game on a computer without much RAM and my wireless router is about 7 years old.  suggestions? or are you all having the same issues?  Before i ran out and dropped a grand I thought I would ask!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I've had no trouble with the HLN feed tonight.  It's done well.

If you're concerned about the wireless router, can you try plugging into it directly?  Even at seven years it may be adequate.  A seven year old computer might be a bigger problem, perhaps depending on what OS you're running.

vu72

Well, its a 10"er with one GB of memory.  Only about 3 years old though.  The comcast guy indicated that my router may be failing.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on February 01, 2013, 08:01:44 PMThe comcast guy indicated that my router may be failing.

If you don't have a second ethernet cable, you could unplug the ethernet router, and try plugging it directly into your laptop.

agibson

Bill James statistically safe with... 11:05 left in the second half.  55-25. 

agibson

Good to see a solid game for Bobby, and lots of decent minutes for Vashil too (only missed one dunk of three attempts!).

Fewest points Valpo's ever allowed in a Horizon League game.

VULB#62

Vashil tried a dunk (boinked but...) with under a minute left and a humongous lead.  (Shades of McCallum ??????).  Us Valpoites need to be careful about throwing stones at classless UDM.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 01, 2013, 08:54:04 PMVashil tried a dunk (boinked but...) with under a minute left and a humongous lead.  (Shades of McCallum ).  Us Valpoites need to be careful about throwing stones at classless UDM.

Big, Big difference my friend.  Vashil barely ever plays.
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

Vashil looked great. Given a bad opponent, best 40 mins of basketball this year.

HC

Seriously 62? This is a kid who plays sparingly, Not a HL POY candidate. :crazy:

wh

Quote from: HC on February 01, 2013, 09:25:12 PM
Seriously 62? This is a kid who plays sparingly, Not a HL POY candidate. :crazy:

There is so much more to it than even that.  In addition to the dunking nonsense, McCallum averaged 30 minutes a game in 40 and 50 point wins over YSU and UIC.  Detroit continued to fast break throughout both regardless of the lead.  They never took the air out of the ball to and extend offensive possessions to the end of the shot clock like we did tonight in the last 5 minutes.   They had alley-oops to the dunking showboat.  They continued their shark frenzy long after the opponent was dead and consumed.  They so showed up YSU trying to get to 100 points that Slocum was in McCallum's face about it. 

I am a firm believer in the law of reciprocity.  A day of reckoning is coming.

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on February 01, 2013, 09:42:24 PMI am a firm believer in the law of reciprocity.  A day of reckoning is coming
I enjoyed beating them on their home court. I loved coming from behind 20 points and beating them on their home court. They must have been stunned and then starting blaming each other in the locker room.
CRUSADERS!!!