• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/23, 12pm: EKU @ Valpo Bracketbusters Game Thread (ESPNU)

Started by crusadermoe, February 05, 2013, 09:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

wow.  so I don't know how I did it, but I accidentally closed my amazing game preview that I just spent way too long on.

the upshot:  we're calling this game the COLONELOSCOPY.

they have a solid team.  watch out for glenn miller cosey, 6-time OVC newcomer of the week.

they are #1 in the country in 2-pt %, #10 in eFG%!  They are not sharp on defense (in our conference they'd only be ahead of CSU: Milwaukee, the new CBS crime drama being perpetrated on HL courts everywhere), but are #1 in their conference in turnovers, and we are still worse.  (Though we'd still be ahead of 4 teams in their not-so-great conference.)

valpo by 8.

man that sucks.  back to (real) work.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

The game looks pretty evenly matched (no brilliant deduction).  It may come down to who does a better job of scouting.  For instance, OOC opponents have a tendency to play Erik straight-up, whereas conf. opponents practically leave him unguarded, dare him to shoot from the perimeter, etc.  The lob over the top to Kevin works better vs. OOC opponents.  Our double teams on low post players after they receive the entry pass often times catches OOC teams unaware.  Conf. opponents have learned they don't dare play Ryan straight up, or put larger, slower defenders on him.  There are other differences, as well.  I'm sure EKU has similar things they like to exploit, which our scouting report will hopefully address.  I think back to the Missouri State Bracket Buster game 2 years ago.  They were as unprepared as any team I've seen come into the ARC in years.  We had so many easy hoops where they were caught totally out of position that it was like taking candy from a baby.  Conversely, New Mexico this year knew our tendencies as well as any HL opponent and stopped us cold. 

VUfan

ya and the spell check on this board can not spell Valpo, it changes Valpo to Alpo maybe it's on to something!!  ;D Maybe it saw the last Detroit game?  :o

agibson

Osipoff reports on a Broekhoff hip issue
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/18411852-556/vu-excited-to-play-on-national-tv-but-conference-is-more-important.html

Ryan Broekhoff has been dealing with a hip problem, and it flared up on Tuesday at Loyola, though he said it has been improving daily since and he expected to play against Eastern Kentucky.

"It's kind of been around for a little while, and the Loyola game, I came out of halftime ready to warm up, and it was just very tight and sore," he said. "I was able to finish the game out, so it's not a big worry or long-term sort of problem."

Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew was somewhat more cautious.

"We basically had to pull him out of practice (on Thursday), because he couldn't go full speed. We're not going to play a player who can't go full speed or is injured in a game.

"Obviously, it's not a good time for him to get hurt. That's why we're going to try to be smart with what to do with him and other guys that are a little banged up."

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but thank God.  Only because this explains why he hasn't been RYAN BROEKHOFF as of late (I remember commenting on at least 2 games in chat recently that it seemed like he and Kenney switched jerseys most of the time).

Get better soon--we need you, and unfortunately 128 games have gone by so quickly, leaving just a few more. Like Michigan with Denard, we really value the moments most when they're gone for good, so let's make the most!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

One Last Buc Lineman

jordan coleman,,,,,,isn't that the girl player from belmont?  she's a good player!

regardless, eku woops ya by 30 or more

valpotx

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that obviously has to be some sarcasm from an ETSU fan?  It seemed like he is on EKUs board, and they mentioned that he was ETSU.  Kind of interesting that he made it over here on our board.  I imagine that they do play on Buggs, which could lead to a whooping.  Looking at their schedule, they have barely played anyone difficult, and barely beaten some really poor teams, with some much worse losses than us.  We have a few wins over crappy teams, but they basically play against CSU each game in their conference, outside of Belmont.  Look at those RPIs!!!  I mean, we aren't as solid as a North Carolina A&T (#263, loss on the road) or UT-Martin (#313, loss on the road)...lol.  I definitely understand how their Sagarin rating is around 130
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: One Last Buc Lineman on February 23, 2013, 12:40:59 AM
jordan coleman,,,,,,isn't that the girl player from belmont?  she's a good player!

regardless, eku woops ya by 30 or more

I don't know how good she is, but she looks to have a better physique than anyone I saw in the EKU men's team picture. 

One Last Buc Lineman

GO BUCS!!!

eku over valpo by 30 or more . . .

wh

Valpo is favored by 7.

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

How do ticket sales look?  Do you think that we will get 4k+?
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Checked ESPN3 really quick. Looks like most of the East/Midwest is blacked out and can only watch the game on ESPNU or live at the ARC. If you happen live west of the Central/Mountain time zone line though, you can still get it online at ESPN3
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valporun

KL, I'm sure it will be on one of the bootleg sites too, regardless of the favorability towards popup ads and such.

rink

agibson

CC's maybe 1/3 full.

Pretty good crowd downstairs.

Half decent student section - not full.

rink

Good god could we be any sloppier on offense? Let's get our heads out of our f---ing asses. EKU looks like crap and we're tied. Jesus.

oklahomamick

Kenney got a tech
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

#3 penetrates the lane every time and it kills us.  He drives and penetrates every time
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Kenney's technical is inexcusable for a college player, let alone a senior.  Absolutely ridiculous to throw it off of your opponent.  That is thinking of only yourself, not the team
"Don't mess with Texas"

rink

Up 10, should be up 20. I hope Bryce is extremely unsatisfied and has a plan to improve in the second half. I think EKU comes out MUCH tighter in the second half, they looked unsettled -- unfamiliar venue, early start time (11am their time) -- and I expect them be more comfortable and play better after the half. We better get our act together.

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on February 23, 2013, 12:57:21 PM
Kenney's technical is inexcusable for a college player, let alone a senior.  Absolutely ridiculous to throw it off of your opponent.  That is thinking of only yourself, not the team

I agree.  He must have been frustrated but im surprised he had that in him.  Lets see how we play with this lead, we gave 15 point lead to Detroit and almost gave another 15 point lead away at Loyola.   
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: rink on February 23, 2013, 01:03:15 PM
Up 10, should be up 20. I hope Bryce is extremely unsatisfied and has a plan to improve in the second half. I think EKU comes out MUCH tighter in the second half, they looked unsettled -- unfamiliar venue, early start time (11am their time) -- and I expect them be more comfortable and play better after the half. We better get our act together.

Minor correction 1PM their time.  Hoping with you.

valpotx

Still had way too many turnovers.  We are lucky that they really aren't that good.  Their record is highly misleading due to playing some REALLY crappy OOC and in-conference opponents.  Still, we were able to pull out the large win that we should have, and are coming in on a high note to our home game against YSU.  If both Perry and Eargle are out, you might as well just give the win to us.
"Don't mess with Texas"