• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/9/19 VU @ CSU Game Thread

Started by talksalot, February 06, 2013, 10:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: wh on February 09, 2013, 05:35:24 PMAs Todd suggests, if we beat WSU and Det in our next 2 games, it's over.  Maybe not officially, but a 3 game lead with 3 games left - it's over.

Oh, for sure.  But, we'll need a little help to mathematically end it, I think.  We may have to beat Wright State, Detroit, _and_ Loyola to make it mathematically sound.  But, let's not get ahead of ourselves ;)

Smj

We did the job we needed to again.    We were in control the entire game but I hate how rough the refs allowed the game to be and then when they tried to stop the physical play they started calling garbage.  Super sick of refs allowing players to foul Ryan with no call...

(Got to say Forbes is going to be fantastic as he gets more experience...)

StlVUFan

Beating WSU and Detroit clinches a higher finish than WSU and Detroit.  If we then lose to YSU, GB, and Loyola, YSU would hold the tiebreaker over us and could still finish 1st.

chef

chef

Although Detroit's sweep over YSU could negate that fact if all three teams finish 11-5.

vuweathernerd

Apparently doritys ankle is causing problems. Considering somebody fell on it, I'm not that surprised. But it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't play Tuesday in Dayton.

FWalum

Chef, did I hear you say in the postgame that Ryan was a little under the weather?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

chef

Ryan did not practice the day before that game. Seemed to feel better Saturday, but was not at 100%.

oklahomamick

to think that we would be 3 games ahead if we didn't lose our first conference game at home to Loyola....
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

True, but if you net out the Loyola home loss vs. the Detroit miracle comeback, I think we stand where we should

It all comes down to holding serve at home against Detroit after breaking through on the road. 

IF......we can do that I am really hoping Detroit can fall back to a #3 seed and be saddled with lack of depth in the back-to-back tourney games.   Ironically, a VU loss to Wright St. probably sets up Wright St as a potential #2.  Because they would have the "best win" (Valpo).

oklahomamick

This is true.  I've watched several Detroit games this season.  They look tired toward the end of the game.  Maybe this is why they blow so many leads....If they go to Wichita st. and Temple late in conference season and play starters 37 minutes on the road, come back and have back to back HL tourney games, i like our odds.

let's take care of business this week against wright state and detroit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

CSU Fan

Congratulations on a nice win. Your team is a pleasure to watch - very confident and disciplined at both ends of the floor. I hope when we have a team of seniors they play the same way. Good luck the rest of the season.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 10, 2013, 12:57:35 PM
This is true.  I've watched several Detroit games this season.  They look tired toward the end of the game.  Maybe this is why they blow so many leads....If they go to Wichita st. and Temple late in conference season and play starters 37 minutes on the road, come back and have back to back HL tourney games, i like our odds.

let's take care of business this week against wright state and detroit. 
I had forgotten about that postponed Gotham Classic game which looks like will be played on the 28th at Temple. You might argue that this game could do them more good than harm, but they will still have to play at UIC on Feb 2. With the seeding and amount of rest between games unknown who knows how this could work out? They might start post-season play at their peak.

chef

Now that YSU has lost, Valpo would lock up the top seed with wins over Wright State and Detroit.

agibson

Quote from: chef on February 10, 2013, 03:52:32 PM
Now that YSU has lost, Valpo would lock up the top seed with wins over Wright State and Detroit.

I was wondering the same thing.  But, I don't think I'll wade through the UWGB tie-breakers, let alone the multi-way tie at 11-5 possibilities.

Triple OT!

vu72

Quote from: chef on February 10, 2013, 12:31:30 AM
Ryan did not practice the day before that game. Seemed to feel better Saturday, but was not at 100%.

I told my brother after the game that he just didn't look or play like Ryan. It was hard to pinpoint but his shot was off.  Now we know why.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: CSU Fan on February 10, 2013, 01:38:03 PM
Congratulations on a nice win. Your team is a pleasure to watch - very confident and disciplined at both ends of the floor. I hope when we have a team of seniors they play the same way. Good luck the rest of the season.

Thanks for the classy post.  You may well be the favorite going into next year.  We will have some good senior leadership but will be relying on freshman for depth. Ex the first 10 minutes or so and you played us even to slightly better but the score was somewhat off at the end based on a few bombs you made late in the game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on February 10, 2013, 06:32:44 PM
Quote from: chef on February 10, 2013, 12:31:30 AM

I told my brother after the game that he just didn't look or play like Ryan. It was hard to pinpoint but his shot was off.  Now we know why.

crusadermoe

Couple notables from the ESPN telecast.     
1- They were raving about CSU's young forward Marlon Mason and his upside.  He does seem to have the whole package and could be a big scorer.   They also liked the freshman CSU guard, Bryn.x? 
2- At one point, one of the broadcasters said that... Bobby was a BIG "6'10" and........ IF VALPO HAD A FOOTBALL TEAM they might come looking for him to join it.    That one hurt.   

chef

Under the scenarios we've discussed (Valpo sweeping WSU and Detroit) it would seem 99.9% impossible that Green Bay would get a tie-break over Valpo. We'd be assuming that Green Bay would win out, which would mean another loss for YSU. In order for Valpo to lose a tie-break, YSU would likely have to finish alone in third. Which is highly, highly unlikely with a minimum 7 losses. Sweeps over WSU, Detroit and UIC would really favor the Crusaders.

letsgovu

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 10, 2013, 11:03:30 PMAt one point, one of the broadcasters said that... Bobby was a BIG "6'10" and........ IF VALPO HAD A FOOTBALL TEAM they might come looking for him to join it.    That one hurt.   

that gave me a chuckle.   um...

There was also a comment about how Ryan got some playing time after Brandon Wood left...

StlVUFan

Quote from: letsgovu on February 11, 2013, 07:28:56 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 10, 2013, 11:03:30 PMAt one point, one of the broadcasters said that... Bobby was a BIG "6'10" and........ IF VALPO HAD A FOOTBALL TEAM they might come looking for him to join it.    That one hurt.   

that gave me a chuckle.   um...

There was also a comment about how Ryan got some playing time after Brandon Wood left...
Just finishing re-watching the game.  These announcers were absolutely pathetic at times.  The number of times they showed their lack of homework was staggering.

As usual, having a DVR with slow-motion capability has helped me downplay my rants about the officiating a bit.  They still missed a couple, but some of the ones I thought were obvious were not so much, plus one of the fouls called on Kamcyzc was very ticky-tack.  Most of the fouls called on CSU looked legit, hometown uproar to the contrary (same thing happens everywhere, including the ARC, by the way).

When Kevin doubled over with pain in the 2nd half, the only thing I could think of was that Kamczyc stepped on his foot.  Otherwise, he did it to himself.  Forbes did power-knee Bogan in the groin however.

There is something about that place that's bordering on the epidemic.  You'd like to think you don't have to bring a M*A*S*H unit with you when you play CSU...

koala

72 Ryan's shot was off not only because of illness but whenever his opposition player closed out he would smack him in the face.   Ryan spoke to the officials about it but it kept happening so he let them know again and they just shrugged their shoulders as if not to care.   Thank goodness he has a calm demeanour with all that he has to endure during a game of holding, pushing, hitting and bumping with no call.

bbtds

Quote from: koala on February 11, 2013, 09:42:33 AM
72 Ryan's shot was off not only because of illness but whenever his opposition player closed out he would smack him in the face.   Ryan spoke to the officials about it but it kept happening so he let them know again and they just shrugged their shoulders as if not to care.   Thank goodness he has a calm demeanour with all that he has to endure during a game of holding, pushing, hitting and bumping with no call.

I know Ryan is not the type but I suggest he "accidently" slap the the opposing player in the face and just say "oooops, those accidents can happen so easily" and wink. If the ref won't call it on the CSU player he won't call it on Ryan. 

valpotx

I notice that Rowdy usually gets hacked each time he comes down with a rebound and it is never called.  It's always a quick slap, or a reach where they pull on him.  He never swings his elbows though like some other players might, in order to get them off of him.  He is a bigger man than most in order to not retaliate  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"