• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Recruiting

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 23, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 01, 2013, 09:06:16 PMI realize that you don't want to just sign bodies to fill slots

Sadly with nine players this late in the process you need to sign bodies to fill slots.  We need to add at least one more C/PF just so we can practice 5 on 5.  We can add 3 and next year still have 5 openings we may or may not be able to fill.

covufan

Is there a junior college for WBB?  What about transfers?  Sounds like we need quality and quantity, but as time progresses, quantity will become more important.

valpotx

Women's basketball and all other sports would be available at most JuCos, as well as the ability to transfer
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

We've picked up JuCo and DII before. I think it's about interest. We are a small, very guard heavy squad, with virtually no size at any possition. We were in a shooting slump all of last season, and our star player is leaving to play in the big ten. We have a young, unproven coaching staff, and I can't say for sure, but it seems we aren't all that aggressive at recruiting. If I'm a decent player, and a guard, I'm looking for a school that needs guards. If I'm a decent player, and a big, I'm looking at the roster and seeing if I'm going to get any help inside. Let's face it, we are definitely in a rebuilding phase. Our only hope is to spark some interest in a player who likes the school, area, what they have to offer academically, and the ability to have a little fun playing for their 4 years of school, but doesn't take it too seriously. 

VULB#62

Quote from: jack on May 03, 2013, 12:12:02 PM
We've picked up JuCo and DII before. I think it's about interest. We are a small, very guard heavy squad, with virtually no size at any possition. We were in a shooting slump all of last season, and our star player is leaving to play in the big ten. We have a young, unproven coaching staff, and I can't say for sure, but it seems we aren't all that aggressive at recruiting. If I'm a decent player, and a guard, I'm looking for a school that needs guards. If I'm a decent player, and a big, I'm looking at the roster and seeing if I'm going to get any help inside. Let's face it, we are definitely in a rebuilding phase. Our only hope is to spark some interest in a player who likes the school, area, what they have to offer academically, and the ability to have a little fun playing for their 4 years of school, but doesn't take it too seriously.

Oh, oh.  I'd rather have a "go get 'em" mentality about recruiting and excuse a few in game tactical blunders than be tactically perfect with little or no talent.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on May 03, 2013, 12:12:02 PMwe aren't all that aggressive at recruiting.

Or were we overly aggressive chasing a only a few, striking out and having no or a limited fall back up plan?
We are now three weeks into the signing period and the silence is deafening.

At this point this staff has lost/chased more players away than added (5 to 3).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 07, 2013, 11:41:38 AMAt this point this staff has lost/chased more players away than added (5 to 3).
At this rate we won't be able to field a starting 5 in 4 years! :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Girlsbbfan

It is very difficult for me to see the current state of the women's basketball program. This is not going to be an easy or timely fix. Recruiting can be very difficult at a school like Valpo, but good recruiters can still sell a story, a vision, and a belief in the future. Something is wrong here. I hope someone figures it out. Good luck to the girls that are going to have to fight their way through a more than difficult season.

vu72

Quote from: Girlsbbfan on May 13, 2013, 12:12:48 PM
It is very difficult for me to see the current state of the women's basketball program. This is not going to be an easy or timely fix. Recruiting can be very difficult at a school like Valpo, but good recruiters can still sell a story, a vision, and a belief in the future. Something is wrong here. I hope someone figures it out. Good luck to the girls that are going to have to fight their way through a more than difficult season.

It may be difficult but Keith Freeman always managed to get a couple of Indiana All Stars etc each year.  There does seem to be a problem as so many players have decided to leave.  We all know that style of play is a big deal and apparently our coach is pretty demanding.  Apparently too demanding for some.  As with the football team it may take a few years to get this thing turned around. It's only year two...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Girlsbbfan

Too demanding can work if it transfers to success on the court, unfortunately we have not seen that success so far. There would be a ray of hope if we could see some positive signs on the recruiting front. Right now it looks like an impossible situation.

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 13, 2013, 12:28:23 PMAs with the football team it may take a few years to get this thing turned around. It's only year two...
Not sure the football team is a fair comparison.  At least the ladies were competitive - eleven losses by 10 points or less.  The recruiting is not where most would like to see it after the first season - maybe next years' recruiting will be better.  Maybe the coaching staff is quieting looking at transfers and JUCO's to fill the remaining roster spots.  I think there is much upside with this program.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on May 13, 2013, 01:33:49 PMI think there is much upside with this program.
I do too, and I don't buy this:

Quote from: Girlsbbfan on May 13, 2013, 12:12:48 PMRecruiting can be very difficult at a school like Valpo
at all!

Ask Roger Powell and Bryce if boo-hoo it's so hard.  While the women do not have as much history of success, it's there (and nearly as many postseason wins, for that matter).

It's a good school in a good location.  Not sure what makes it so hard other than the lack of success lately.  Could be a lot worse...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Girlsbbfan

Difficult does not mean impossible. High academic requirements, physical location, old gym, non promotion of womens team, poor game attendance, a new coach, and continued team struggles, make recruiting at Valpo difficult on the women's side. A great education trade for playing basketball and there is not one region player on the roster. Regardless it can and should be done. My point is new coach or not, there should be way more positive recruiting results.

valpotx

Many of the issues you mentioned are present in 99% of women's basketball programs at the D-1 level: poor game attendance, not promoting women's teams, old gym, physical location.  High academic requirements are not as big of a deal in the women's game versus the men's.  Many top men's players would not qualify at Valpo as they figure that they will just play basketball for their career, whereas most women's basketball players study more in HS/college since they know that there aren't as many professional athletic opportunities available for them. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on May 13, 2013, 03:14:28 PMMany of the issues you mentioned are present in 99% of women's basketball programs at the D-1 level: poor game attendance, not promoting women's teams, old gym, physical location.  High academic requirements are not as big of a deal in the women's game versus the men's.  Many top men's players would not qualify at Valpo as they figure that they will just play basketball for their career, whereas most women's basketball players study more in HS/college since they know that there aren't as many professional athletic opportunities available for them. 
spot on.  i was going to say "a little longer and this qualifies for the Post Hall of Fame" but considering it's you, it's plenty long! :)

Girlsbbfan

Well I think we agree at some level. The question is where are all the recruits?

LaPorteAveApostle

A very valid question.  I did for the ladies what I did for the men last year, so as to not violate Title IX, one of the most overrated pieces of legislation in the history of laws:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdDZ2VW1nNkYzdmVzbVJGYk1OZTYwTkE&usp=sharing

And I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize just how much so until seeing it visually.  To fill in an extra blank I hope that Sharon Karungi will get 3 years not just 2 since she only played one year of JUCO.

Here's the thing--even if the 3 that left stayed, we STILL would have fewer players than the year before!  We have SIX scholarships available for the fall.  I can understand wanting the perfect fit (to avoid transfers down the road), but wouldn't you think you could take a COUPLE chances just to give yourselves bodies?

And only one returner logged more than 500 minutes last year (Capo-LVD range).

Ye gods.  Ye'd think SOMEONE would want a $200K scholarship, no??!?

LaPorteAveApostle

At this rate of attrition (arithmetic not geometric) we will have only enough for a starting 5 next year, and only one player in 2015-16 (a year earlier than currently predicted!).

valporun

LAA, to quote Norman Dale, "it's gonna be a lonely bench".

jack

I think more and more schools will find themselves in the same predicament as time goes on. It rarely affects the men's game in this fasion, though you'll always have quality players leave for the NBA. When the ladies stay on campus pretty much year round, and get out ahead on their studies, they can get their degrees in 3 years, and for some, just don't want to put in the grind it takes on the body to continue to play the last year they are elgiable. I know Tab left, stating that Valpo didn't offer the after grad work she was looking for. Maybe so, maybe not. It'll be interesting to see if she tries to walk on down at IU, as it won't be a scholarship situation. If she does, and makes the squad, good for her. It would have been an expensive venture to stay at Valpo another year, and not play. Like I've stated before, men go to college to play basketball, and women play basketball to go to college. Very few have aspirations to play beyond their college days.
Unfortunately, the women who do play to learn, would like to do so in a quality program that can compete. There just seems to be too much adversity with the ladies program right now to attract some really good help. I hope I am wrong.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: jack on May 14, 2013, 02:45:21 PMIf she does, and makes the squad, good for her.
Based on IU's performance last year, I don't see how they can do without her...

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on May 14, 2013, 02:45:21 PMI know Tab left, stating that Valpo didn't offer the after grad work she was looking for. Maybe so, maybe not. It'll be interesting to see if she tries to walk on down at IU, as it won't be a scholarship situation.

What makes you think she is not getting a scholarship? They added 6 freshmen but still have one spot available.  She was announced by their coach as joining the team as a transfer.  With 10 sophs and freshmen she may play quite a bit.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 13, 2013, 05:24:27 PMWe have SIX scholarships available for the fall.  I can understand wanting the perfect fit (to avoid transfers down the road), but wouldn't you think you could take a COUPLE chances just to give yourselves bodies?

This is the part that I can't figure out.  It is not this hard to add players.

jack

I believe I read somewhere if she joined the squad it wouldn't be through a scholarship. maybe something has changed. I still am not convinced she'll play for them next season.

FWalum

There is an article on the front page of the IU Women's basketball website that says she is playing so I think it is a done deal. http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/050213aaa.html She will be playing with fellow Fort Wayne cager Andrea Newbauer.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 14, 2013, 03:15:43 PMIt is not this hard to add players.
Yes.  We should be getting more news, but the silence is deafening.  Difficult to get some players I can see, especially if they have offers from the Big Ten, etc.  We should be scouring every state's senior all-staters for young women that are smart and want to continue playing basketball at the Div I level.  I just looked at the 2013 Indiana Girls All-Stars.  They all have college offers, but three stand out to me: IPFW, IUPUI and Grand Valley State.  Valpo should be able to compete with these schools.  I'm sure there are others, especially in the surrounding states, that could play for Valpo.