• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

[tweet]514484514249535489[/tweet]

[tweet]515887024562511872[/tweet]

[tweet]516004016724402176[/tweet]

[tweet]518465643663069184[/tweet]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Just FTR, I'm not on Twitter...but if I were I would be retweeting or favoriting his Valpo tweets to show him some love.

I would not however be interacting with him because that would just be creepy (witness the one guy on the Valpo visit saying "when is gonzaga?").  Being a creepy stalker of teenage boys is just...well...creepy and actually backfires.

...come to think of it, I'm going to make a fake account pretending to be a fan of schools we're competing with and say creepy things to recruits.  REVERSE PSYCH'd
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 04, 2014, 02:04:44 PM
Just FTR, I'm not on Twitter...but if I were I would be retweeting or favoriting his Valpo tweets to show him some love.

I would not however be interacting with him because that would just be creepy (witness the one guy on the Valpo visit saying "when is gonzaga?").  Being a creepy stalker of teenage boys is just...well...creepy and actually backfires.

...come to think of it, I'm going to make a fake account pretending to be a fan of schools we're competing with and say creepy things to recruits.  REVERSE PSYCH'd

...come to think of it, I'm going to make a fake account pretending to be a fan of schools we're competing with and say creepy things to recruits.  REVERSE PSYCH'd  ;)

There, I fixed it for you.

valpopal

Here is my photo of Rik Smits watching the football game today with Coaches Drew and Powell.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on October 04, 2014, 04:31:52 PM
Here is my photo of Rik Smits watching the football game today with Coaches Drew and Powell.

Was the lady sitting down or maybe standing in a pothole?

valpotx

Coach Rik Smits anyone? ;)  Come on, other colleges do it!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I walked by Rik at the FB game.  You just cannot comprehend what it is like to stand/walk by someone who is 7'4".

By all appearances, he was pleasant and engaging.  Very relaxed.  Added to his typical stuff with Bryce, Rik and family also walked around with Mark L who showed him some of the other facilities.

later, I wanted to see the inside of the new Welcome Center after the game and went over there for the first time -- beautiful and impressive inside.  It's actually the admissions center where all the admissions work is done.  The term "welcome center" doesn't really describe it's true function. Anyway, I bumped into Barbara Lieske, Director of Admissions.  I was impressed with the place and I asked her if the Smitts had seen to the Welcome Center.  She said not this weekend, but they were there last weekend for an "unofficial visit"  and within hours booked their official visit for the following weekend.   I think Valpo is in the running.

valpotx

Wouldn't it be great to get both the 7'0" Smits, and the 6'10" Lithuanian?  We would also have 6'9" Peters, 6'8" Skara, and a few other folks.  Ah, the old days of when I was in school, when we threw the ball down your throat with big dudes :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

I dunno.  I think we need some more guards.

;)

bbtds

valpopal

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 05, 2014, 10:59:41 PM
I walked by Rik at the FB game.  You just cannot comprehend what it is like to stand/walk by someone who is 7'4".
they were there last weekend for an "unofficial visit"  and within hours booked their official visit for the following weekend.   I think Valpo is in the running.

Told ya so!

LaPorteAveApostle

Hard to believe, but with Smits' commitment we are down to one scholarship in this class!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc&pli=1#gid=0

Of course, that presumes no attrition, which, as has been mentioned, often seems to happen and when you least expect it.

Also added a position chart that helps visualize what positions are stocked when...kind of like Verbal Commits, but not including all the attrition, getting the Canadians right, etc.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 07, 2014, 02:59:07 AMHard to believe, but with Smits' commitment we are down to one scholarship in this class!
So what do we most need for that last remaining scholarship? Would a Ritchie Edwards type (backup forward and center) JC transfer be the best way to fill the remaining gaps? How about another true center who is an acknowledged project? Perhaps we should just stick with the best available player regardless of position. In the 15-16 season can any of our current personnel fill in the 15 minutes (or more) when Smits is on the bench?

LaPorteAveApostle

Looking at that spreadsheet, we have 3 of "each" at the 1 through the 4.

And obviously some 2s can 1, or 3s can 4, etc. 

One of the few that can't "or" is your 5, though, you're right.  (Some can "4" but look at Monroe and Drummond having trouble coexisting in Detroit.)

Maybe for those 10-15 minutes he's sitting down, though, we just go small?  With Peters, Adekoya, and 3 guards?

You're always looking for height, but I think Bryce and Co. would take the BPA, as the draft adage goes.

vufan75

Sounds like a good big body pickup. 2015 class has some size to it for sure.

Daniel Relvao 6'9 235lb Class of 2015- 2013-14 Jr Season Highlights Mountain Mission

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on October 14, 2014, 09:23:26 PM
http://verbalcommits.com/players/daniel-relvao
At first glance he appears to be a project power forward with enough skills at center that he might immediately be a viable backup center for Smits.

wh

A 7 footer followed by 6-9/230.  LOVE the pick up!  Welcome to Valpo, Daniel!

a3uge

Foreign big body with a high motor and a flat hook shot... Give this guy a scooter, some tattoos, and a physical therapist!

FWalum

Description of 6'9 with 7'3" wing span appears to be accurate.  He is very long.  Stat line from Junior year not spectacular,  5 PPG   4 RPG   69% FT  and 44% from the floor.  Video showed some potential.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

We will cover the globe with basketball alumni in the next 20 years :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: justducky on October 14, 2014, 09:51:16 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on October 14, 2014, 09:23:26 PM
http://verbalcommits.com/players/daniel-relvao
At first glance he appears to be a project power forward with enough skills at center that he might immediately be a viable backup center for Smits.

Actually think he might be better than Derrik at this point.  He uses both hands and made some very nice passes.  I found a tweet that said he has only been playing basketball for 2 years and was a swimmer.  I think he may be a steal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

FIVE ppg for this guy?

Smits with 3-4 RPG?

Their height is impressive.  Stats, not so much. 

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on October 15, 2014, 10:43:02 AM
FIVE ppg for this guy?

Smits with 3-4 RPG?

Their height is impressive.  Stats, not so much. 

Paul

I think we need to remeber that the stats you mentioned were from their JUNIOR year in high school.  Derrik in particular is still growing into his body.  This season will be a much better way to evaluate where they are at maturity wise.  I'm guessing both will add weight and much more as they matriculate to Valpo.  These are centers, not point guards.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015