• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Pipkins scored another 33 points tonight as his Bogan team beat Chicago's Simeon 59-51.

LaPorteAveApostle

eh, just his average for the last couple games.  underachiever ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Apparently, Cortez Seales from Iowa is another 2015 point guard being seriously considered by Valpo.

http://youtu.be/lZEGHWfM46U

HC

Valpo seems to be after a lot of PGs.  We seem to have a pretty good one in Lexus, Carter is getting there, and those Canadians are both PGs aren't they?  Hoping we can at least replace some of the height we are going to be losing with Gueye and Capo departing.

a3uge

Quote from: HC on January 21, 2014, 11:17:15 AM
Valpo seems to be after a lot of PGs.  We seem to have a pretty good one in Lexus, Carter is getting there, and those Canadians are both PGs aren't they?  Hoping we can at least replace some of the height we are going to be losing with Gueye and Capo departing.

He's listed as 6-4 on one site and 6-5 on another, so it would appear that he's not necessarily limited by his height to play PG... Also, keep in mind this is 2015, so by the time he would get here, Carter and the Canadians (both appear more like combo guards) will be seniors, and Lexus will be a Junior. While there might be a bottleneck in the backcourt, it would be nice to groom a freshman to play point instead of throwing two new guys into the fire like we've done this year.

We do need some frontcourt help as immediate as next year. I would be shocked if Bryce didn't find a grad-school player or JUCO transfer in the next year to address this, as that seems to be the trend.

valpotx

Are the Canadian guards in a prep program that won't count as NCAA eligible years, or is it like a JuCo?  I was under the impression that both would be FR as they entered Valpo. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on January 21, 2014, 03:58:29 PM
Are the Canadian guards in a prep program that won't count as NCAA eligible years, or is it like a JuCo?  I was under the impression that both would be FR as they entered Valpo.

Rivals.com had them listed as Sophomores, so that's what I based my information on... After looking at another thread, it looks like they'll have full eligibility.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on January 21, 2014, 03:58:29 PMAre the Canadian guards in a prep program that won't count as NCAA eligible years, or is it like a JuCo?  I was under the impression that both would be FR as they entered Valpo.
The two Canadian guards are students at Vanier College.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/about/

Vanier College is a publicly-funded English language CEGEP located in Montreal. Named in honour of General Georges P. Vanier, Canada's second native-born Governor General, Vanier College opened its doors on September 8, 1970, welcoming close to 1,400 students in its first cohort. The Vanier College Crest is an adaption of the Vanier family Coat of Arms.

As is typical in Canada Quebec runs their educational system differently than the other provinces in Canada. Vanier College is a CEGEP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP

CEGEP (/sˈʒɛp/ say-zhep or /ˈsɛp/ see-jep; French: Cégep; also CÉGEP, Cegep or Cégep) is an acronym for Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel, known officially in English as a "General and Vocational College".[1] It refers to the public post-secondary education collegiate institutions exclusive to the education system in the province of Quebec in Canada. It is a loanword from French.
Although all colleges in Quebec are colloquially referred to as CEGEPs, only public colleges are officially referred to by that name. Both public (CEGEPs) and private colleges have the same function in Quebec.[2] Although they may occasionally be compared to junior colleges or community colleges, CEGEPs differ in that a Diploma of College Studies[1] (or Diplôme d'études collégiales, DEC) is required for university admission in Quebec unless a student enters as a mature student which typically means a minimum age of 21 with other requirements. Pre-university programs are typically two years in duration, which explains why secondary school and undergraduate degrees are both one year shorter in Quebec relative to elsewhere in Canada. A student in Quebec cannot enter university with a secondary diploma from Quebec alone.
The purpose of a separate collegiate education level is to make post-secondary education more accessible in Quebec, as well as to provide proper academic preparation for university.[3] There are both public subsidized and private colleges, with the public CEGEPs having little or no tuition fee. The CEGEP system was started in 1967 by the Quebec provincial government and originally consisted of 12 CEGEPs. Today, 48 CEGEPs exist in Quebec, of which 5 are English language-medium.

So if I have read this correctly the high schools are 3 years in Quebec and the undergraduate university programs are 3 years in Quebec. So the two Canadian guards are in a General and Vocational College (CEGEP)(2 years) which is a requirement in the Quebec system to go to university. So they are in a college prep school which was required of them if they had chosen to attend a Quebec university.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/about/cegep.php

In 1967, the Quebec government established a new level education which directly follows high school. The CEGEP system (collège d'enseignement general et professionnel) offers both two-year pre-university programs and three-year technical careeer programs. Vanier College is one of 48 public Cegeps in the province.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Vanier+College&ll=45.514027,-73.676213&spn=0.001182,0.002476&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Vanier+College+prep+Montreal&cid=14879632302064944939&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=45.514182,-73.67648&panoid=iWSQPEqN4zinYqgMu1UeIQ&cbp=12,46.43,,1,5.06
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vusupporter

Straight from the horse's mouth when the signings were announced:

QuoteValparaiso men's basketball head coach Bryce Drew announced Thursday that a pair of Canadian guards, Max Joseph and Tevonn Walker, have signed National Letters of Intent to join the Crusader program as freshmen for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/13148/crusaders-ink-pair-of-canadian-guards-to-nlis/

valpopal

[quote author=a3uge link=topic=1419.msg40961#msg40961 date=1390340190
We do need some frontcourt help as immediate as next year. I would be shocked if Bryce didn't find a grad-school player or JUCO transfer in the next year to address this, as that seems to be the trend.

Speaking of JUCO transfers, Jared Drew is currently averaging more than 15 pts and 5 rebounds per game at Lakeland (Moussa's Junior College), and he is shooting 45% from the 3-pt line. He is not the big man to replace Moussa or Bobby, but at 6'6" he would be a nice replacement for Coleman. He'd also be a fine complement to his former teammate at St. Louis, Keith Carter, and I wouldn't be disappointed if an effort were made to bring the two together again.

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2014, 11:11:14 PM
Speaking of JUCO transfers, Jared Drew is currently averaging more than 15 pts and 5 rebounds per game at Lakeland (Moussa's Junior College), and he is shooting 45% from the 3-pt line. He is not the big man to replace Moussa or Bobby, but at 6'6" he would be a nice replacement for Coleman. He'd also be a fine complement to his former teammate at St. Louis, Keith Carter, and I wouldn't be disappointed if an effort were made to bring the two together again.

He'd play behind Alec or Jubril in the rotation and with the Canadians coming in to probably play behind Keith and Lexus, I think we need to focus all our efforts on getting a 6'10"+ player in.  Or at least a 6'9" 240+ guy. If they did bring him in then we could possibly run a really small lineup with a front court of Alec, Jubril and Drew, but holy crap would we be overmatched by bigger teams.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Your forgetting that we'll have Vashil for another year plus Nickerson and Chadwick. We should be fine.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 22, 2014, 10:20:13 AM
Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2014, 11:11:14 PM

He'd play behind Alec or Jubril in the rotation and with the Canadians coming in to probably play behind Keith and Lexus, I think we need to focus all our efforts on getting a 6'10"+ player in.  Or at least a 6'9" 240+ guy. If they did bring him in then we could possibly run a really small lineup with a front court of Alec, Jubril and Drew, but holy crap would we be overmatched by bigger teams.

Drew will be eligible in 2014-2015 and Valpo would still have Fernandez and Chadwick as big men, plus we have Nickerson and another possible big man pick up for the remaining available slot. Assuming no transfers out and that Drew could play the 2 or 3 position, the roster would look like the following: 1: Carter, Williams, Joseph; 2: (Drew), Yeo, Davidson, Walker; 3: Peters, (Drew) 4: Adekoya, Nickerson; 5: Fernandez, Chadwick, JUCO Transfer?

A front line of Fernandez, Adekoya, Peters or Fernandez, Nickerson, Peters would do fine, especially with another year of experience for all—and who knows what big man Bryce might be able to add in that 12th roster spot?

valpopal

Seth Adelsperger, 6'10" big man recruit for 2015, had a huge game this past weekend, scoring 14 points and pulling down 22 rebounds.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2014, 10:37:46 AMplus Nickerson and Chadwick.
Quote from: valpopal on January 22, 2014, 10:47:02 AMstill have Fernandez and Chadwick as big men, plus we have Nickerson
what is it exactly about a) chadwick's game and b) the whole reason nickerson left Charlotte that makes people always cite them as "bigs" in spite of the evidence?

to be a "big" requires more than size.
http://www.nwitimes.com/e-victor-nickerson-becomes-latest-transfer-to-join-crusaders/article_d5f8506c-89d3-5d3d-8985-e179f7b3fe3a.html

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/21385320-556/e-victor-nickerson-transfers-to-valpo-alex-rossi-wont-return.html

valpopal

Chadwick is a bit like Bobby: he plays the 4 and 5 position and he can step out to shoot the three (4-7 58% thus far this year). With an extra year of experience and some strengthening, he could rebound well. His average of rebounds per 40 minutes is currenty just a bit behind Bobby: Chadwick 7.2, Bobby 8.8.

Nickerson is working on his outside shot, but he is not going to play the 1 or 2, and unless an emergency need arises, he is likely not going to play the 5. If you look at his past stats, he is definitely not an outside shooter yet, though one hopes he is improving that part of his game during this redshirt year.

That leaves him at 6'8" and playing the 3 and 4, pretty much like Peters. Nickerson will "play on the perimeter and drive to the basket," as Bryce says, the way Alec and Rowdy have at the 3 and 4 the past few years, both of whom were also able to rebound well.

valpotx

I just can't see Chadwick playing the 5, unless he makes some major improvements on his inside game.  Any time he is in, he seems to go towards the 3 pt line vs. fighting down low.  It is obviously a limited sample size, but he seems more like a 3/4 than a 5.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

I recently saw Bryce working with Nickerson on his jump shot.  They were the only 2 on the gym floor, other than someone to pass the ball and someone else to retrieve it. Bryce was focusing on a couple of things with EVN's shot - having him put more arc on his 3-pt. attempts and using the backboard on closer-in shots angled left and right. There was a lot of "hands on" teaching, with Bryce showing EVN where to hold the ball and even shooting the ball himself at times to demonstrate proper mechanics.  They never worked on anything inside of 10'.  I only saw them that one time, but I did get the sense that EVN is a perimeter player all the way.  By the way, he has a good looking jump shot and shoots with a lot of accuracy.     

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2014, 01:43:40 PMI did get the sense that EVN is a perimeter player all the way
thank you.  word from the charlotte board was that he was being asked to bulk up and play 4 but he's always seen himself as a 3.

we need 5s, but then so does the rest of the world.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2014, 11:11:14 PMJared Drew is currently averaging more than 15 pts and 5 rebounds per game at Lakeland (Moussa's Junior College), and he is shooting 45% from the 3-pt line. He is not the big man to replace Moussa or Bobby, but at 6'6" he would be a nice replacement for Coleman.
Quote from: Kyle321n on January 22, 2014, 10:20:13 AMHe'd play behind Alec or Jubril in the rotation
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that part of the reason that Nickerson, and Peters and Adekoya came to Valpo was so they could get a chance to play the 3. On top of that Yeo is at the moment a better 3 than he is a 2. So since Drew does not appear to be a true 4 maybe we need to evaluate our returning 3's before we recruite any more.  In no particular order---

#1 Nickerson- At a roster listing of 195 lbs and 6' 7" might he be the frontrunner? 30lbs lighter than Jubril and Alec might mean a speed advantage but I have heard nobody mention his 3 point shot potential, or his defense or his rebounding ability. He has got to be the least talked about transfer that we have ever had sitting on the end of our bench. Do any of you have any kind of realistic feel for his place in next years pecking order? I want Chef to stay out of this one so that he doesn't get us all confused like he did with Carter.  ???
#2 Adekoya- He has played some 3 when needed but his body and skill set is more of a power forward 4. If his 3 point shooting, passing and dribbling continue to improve then maybe he can continue to play some 3. I think he can be become a good 4 even if his 3 point shooting never rises above 25%.
#3 Yeo - I think Clay can become a solid but smallish HL-style shooting forward. For certain matchups a 6'4" player can sometimes cover more ground than the guys who are much bigger.
#4 Peters- Sorry if I ruffle some feathers but at 6'8" and growing I view his future as more of a 4 also. Can he drive on or defend against a somewhat smaller but much quicker shooting forward?

I know that it sometimes is hard to tell who is the 3 and who is the 4 when Jubril and Alec are on the floor together and maybe that is one of the problems. I have taken to calling them 3 1/2's because with their freshman-level skills they do not do either position its full justice. At least we know what Coleman can do and who he can defend.

Is there any way that HC and the Valpo PPS system could break down past or future data that would only include the player performances at the 3 position?

vu72

I'll jump in and defend our good friend chef. He said Carter was a special talent and based on just his last game he certainly showed the skill level associated with the term "special". He can defend and steal like Buggs , pass as well as anyone and also shoots and drives better then anyone not named Dority. He has played what, five games? He will be a total stud by this time next year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on January 22, 2014, 03:09:39 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that part of the reason that Nickerson, and Peters and Adekoya came to Valpo was so they could get a chance to play the 3. On top of that Yeo is at the moment a better 3 than he is a 2. So since Drew does not appear to be a true 4 maybe we need to evaluate our returning 3's before we recruite any more.  In no particular order---

#1 Nickerson- At a roster listing of 195 lbs and 6' 7" might he be the frontrunner? 30lbs lighter than Jubril and Alec might mean a speed advantage but I have heard nobody mention his 3 point shot potential, or his defense or his rebounding ability. He has got to be the least talked about transfer that we have ever had sitting on the end of our bench. Do any of you have any kind of realistic feel for his place in next years pecking order?

I think realistically Nickerson should be a slashing 3 or a 4 rather than a perimeter shooter. His 3-point shooting in the past has not been good. At Charlotte his 3-point stats from 2011-2012: 3-19 (.158); 2012-2013: 11-47 (.234). If he can get those percentages to a good 35% or more, I will give great credit to Bryce as a teacher! In addition, I'd like his 6'7" body closer to the basket for rebounding. Also, standing next to him, I'd be shocked if he weighs only 195. I haven't worked at county fairs guessing people's weight, but he is easily over 200.

HC

I can only calculate PPS if I have statistics to look at, usually all I have to look at are box scores at the end of halves, games, and season stats.

Chef seems like the perfect person to give you insight on Nickerson. I'm hoping he is a Jordan Fouse type player with a better jumper.

vu72

Quote from: HC on January 22, 2014, 04:07:13 PM
I can only calculate PPS if I have statistics to look at, usually all I have to look at are box scores at the end of halves, games, and season stats.

Chef seems like the perfect person to give you insight on Nickerson. I'm hoping he is a Jordan Fouse type player with a better jumper.

More likely a bigger version of Jordan Coleman