• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on September 04, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: valpopal on September 04, 2013, 09:09:52 AMAccording to a report on Twitter, Jevon Carter has committed to West Virginia.

Not surprised. With the commitment of Max Joseph, I think we're set at the PG position for a few years. With both Keith Carter and Lexus Williams as our PGs along with Joseph now. Chances are Jevon Carter didn't see an opportunity here.

I doubt Jevon Carter looked at West Virginia and thought there'd be more playing time there vs Valpoaraiso. Had Max Joseph not committed at this point, I think he'd probably still commit to West Virginia. He didn't seem to show much interest in Valpo.

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on September 04, 2013, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on September 04, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: valpopal on September 04, 2013, 09:09:52 AMAccording to a report on Twitter, Jevon Carter has committed to West Virginia.

Not surprised. With the commitment of Max Joseph, I think we're set at the PG position for a few years. With both Keith Carter and Lexus Williams as our PGs along with Joseph now. Chances are Jevon Carter didn't see an opportunity here.

I doubt Jevon Carter looked at West Virginia and thought there'd be more playing time there vs Valpoaraiso. Had Max Joseph not committed at this point, I think he'd probably still commit to West Virginia. He didn't seem to show much interest in Valpo.

As I mentioned above, despite reports, according to Carter's father no commitment has been made yet. However, no matter what Jevon does, I don't think the commitment of Max Joseph would make much of a difference since either Carter could just as easily fit into the shooting guard position.

valpopal

According to NCAA rules, the "Quiet Period" of recruiting ended at midnight last night, and the new "Open Period" of recruiting begins today, which allows coaches to visit potential recruits at their homes or upcoming school games. Therefore, I would think the recent lull in recruiting news should come to a close.

Many university programs will have coaches taking in-home visits with high school players this week. Looking at our list of open offers, we are pretty thin (we only have a few offers out to guards and have none out for 2014 to any forwards or a center). Even with the commitment of guard Max Joseph, we still have four more openings to fill in 2014. Unless we are going to replace all the graduating big men with transfers, I would expect some activity soon.

valpo84

Speaking of "transfers," good analysis of percentage of transfers per year, and more relevant the trend of "up-transferring" which references Brandon Wood and also that Jason Calliste is "up-transferring" to Oregon under the grad-transfer rule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130903/college-basketball-transferring/?sct=uk_wr_a2
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

I wouldn't exactly call Richie Edwards leaving us for Arizona State as up-transferring for him personally...
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on September 09, 2013, 05:50:23 PM
I wouldn't exactly call Richie Edwards leaving us for Arizona State as up-transferring for him personally...
Are you aware of the number of sunny days at ASU?  Have you seen the women?  I think they were referring to ASU being in the PAC-12 vice Horizon.  You are correct that both programs were about the same RPI or other rankings wise. 

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on September 09, 2013, 08:55:54 AM
I would expect some activity soon.

As expected, Valpo apparently will be visiting Nick Rogers (2015) tomorrow...more to follow.

valpotx

Quote from: covufan on September 09, 2013, 06:14:50 PM
Are you aware of the number of sunny days at ASU?  Have you seen the women?  I think they were referring to ASU being in the PAC-12 vice Horizon.  You are correct that both programs were about the same RPI or other rankings wise. 

I am very aware of the women and sun  :).  However, at the time that Richie made his decision to transfer to ASU (10-21 in 2011-2012), they had a really poor team.  They exceeded expectations last year with their record and RPI.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on September 10, 2013, 10:28:10 AM
Quote from: covufan on September 09, 2013, 06:14:50 PM
agreed.  Even where ASU finished 2012, that program will always have more potential being in the PAC-12.  Was making light of the geographical (which may have been a factor) and single man's perspectives! ;)
I am very aware of the women and sun  :).  However, at the time that Richie made his decision to transfer to ASU (10-21 in 2011-2012), they had a really poor team.  They exceeded expectations last year with their record and RPI.

valpopal

Jevon Carter has now officially committed to West Virginia.

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on August 13, 2013, 09:58:51 AM
Quote from: vufan75 on August 06, 2013, 01:57:07 PM
Maybe I answered my own question regarding the status of recruiting guard Jevon Carter out of Maywood, IL. Ran across on twitter a post from July 10 that mentions which schools are recruiting Jevon Carter the hardest at this point. Sounds like other schools are pursuing him harder than Valpo at this point.   

Scott Phillips‏@phillipshoops 10 Jul
2014 guard Jevon Carter (Team NLP/Proviso East) said Lehigh, LaSalle & Toledo were recruiting him the hardest among his offers. @ny2lasports

With all the emphasis on Chicago players by the VU coaches recently, in addition to Jevon Carter, I wouldn't be surprised if Valpo made an offer to another Chicago 3-star shooting guard, JayQuan McCloud of North Chicago. Either would be good.

Per an article on chicagohoops.com Monday, 9/16/13, JayQuan McCloud announced he had chosen to go to Murray State. The article mentions his other finalists were Rhode Island and Ball State. There is no mention of other offers McCloud might of had, so it is hard to say if Valpo offered him or not. In any case, we lost out on both Jevon Carter and JayQuan McCloud. Perhaps there is another player targeted in the class of 2014 that we are not aware of. I thought someone had mentioned there was another Illinois guard who was going to take an official visit toward the end of September?   

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1907-mccloud-talks-murray-state-verbal

valpopal

Quote from: vufan75 on September 17, 2013, 03:04:40 PMIn any case, we lost out on both Jevon Carter and JayQuan McCloud. Perhaps there is another player targeted in the class of 2014 that we are not aware of. I thought someone had mentioned there was another Illinois guard who was going to take an official visit toward the end of September?   

Carlos Anderson, a shooting guard from Alton IL, is expected to make a campus visit during Homecoming weekend at the end of September, but he is in the class of 2015. I am hoping JUCO Jared Drew might be in the sights for Valpo in 2014.

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on September 17, 2013, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on September 17, 2013, 03:04:40 PMIn any case, we lost out on both Jevon Carter and JayQuan McCloud. Perhaps there is another player targeted in the class of 2014 that we are not aware of. I thought someone had mentioned there was another Illinois guard who was going to take an official visit toward the end of September?   

Carlos Anderson, a shooting guard from Alton IL, is expected to make a campus visit during Homecoming weekend at the end of September, but he is in the class of 2015. I am hoping JUCO Jared Drew might be in the sights for Valpo in 2014.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Drew they have their eyes on. He was in the same recruiting class as KC at SLU and I believe he has shown interest in Valpo. He probably didn't want to redshirt a year so he went JUCO instead so he doesn't have to sit out.

sliman

If the description of Drew as a perimeter player is accurate, he sounds a lot like our freshmen.

classof2014

New offer on the board according to Verbal Commits

Tevonn Walker, a 6' 1" 195 lbs guard from Montreal.

LaPorteAveApostle

Bonus:  the only google image hit for the above phrase?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: classof2014 on October 13, 2013, 11:13:23 PM

I think we need some Centers and Power Forwards on this list:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

valpopal

I am told Walker actually has committed to Valpo. He hopes to be alongside his high school teammate Max Joseph in the VU backcourt.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on October 14, 2013, 11:00:37 PM

I am told Walker actually has committed to Valpo. He hopes to be alongside his high school teammate Max Joseph in the VU backcourt.

New Mexico St, Utah State, Niagara, Valpo, Boston U & American U were all in Montreal, QC yesterday @ Vanier. Main attraction Tevonn Walker.
9:49am - 15 Sep 13

There is lots of impressive video out there on Walker - huge leaper, quickness - looks like a great find.

LaPorteAveApostle

first order of business will be getting him to cultivate a greater respect for women.

https://twitter.com/IcePhases

(you know, we're on to something with this Canada thing.  Hardly anyone would ever leave the South to spend winters in Valpo, but to those kids, we ARE the South!)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

What did you see?  I only saw a comment from someone else about women in clubs that he didn't comment on.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on October 15, 2013, 11:31:48 AMI only saw a comment from someone else about women in clubs that he didn't comment on.
yeah...it's called a retweet

valpotx

I don't care enough about Twitter to be on it ;).  Facebook is more than enough for me, and now you have my friends trying to get me to do stuff on Instagram as well.  Way too much social media BS going on :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

basically, imagine if your friend had an objectionable status on FB, and you made it yours.

that's a pretty strong endorsement of the sentiment expressed.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on October 14, 2013, 11:00:37 PM

Appears that as of 15 Oct, Walker has committed to Valpo:

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

Of course, on 16 Oct it has Rossi transferring, according to IWUHoops.com