• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The "big" announcement...

Started by Crusader03, June 27, 2011, 10:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

http://valpoathletics.com/

The athletics website is getting an upgrade...not exactly the type of news most of us had in mind, but I will look forward to more video, etc.  It sounds like this may not be the only thing happening on July 1, but if it is, it's relatively disappointing.

vuweathernerd

that is kind of disappointing. i had definitely expected something bigger.

DMvalpo18

i thought something exciting was going to happen at the arc or something. so much for this hype.

Crusader03

Quite honestly, almost everything this marketing team (athletic dept?) has tried to put together over the last year has been a bust.  The Valparaizone, the mascot, the new colors, and now creating this buzz...it's all been underwhelming to say the least.

valpopal

I, too, do not see this as anything about which to get very excited. However, on the Valpo Crusader facebook page there is the following note in response to expressed disappointment about this "big" announcement: "There will be another relatively big announcement in a few weeks. Hopefully that is a welcome one as well.... I'd like to think it's bigger than this one." I will wait and see since my idea of "big" or "exciting" apparently doesn't always seem to be the same as that expressed by marketing or the athletic department.

crusaderguy08

Quite frankly, the only ones who made this announcement underwhelming were those of you who took what was posted on the Crusader Facebook page and blew it out of proportion.  The original post read: "Less than one month until something new is unveiled by Valpo Athletics! Look for more information to come in the weeks ahead!"  

Where do you see in that post that there is a "big announcement" coming?  The marketing team was trying to generate some buzz and interest during a slow part of the year and didn't exaggerate one bit in doing so.  Is this post not accurate now that you know a new website is coming on Friday?  

milanmiracle

I guess I question the need for an "announcement" for a new website. Changes like this happen all the time. Maybe if they'd have just made changes people would have been surprised and impressed, rather than disappointed and underwhelmed.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

crusaderguy08

Quote from: milanmiracle on June 28, 2011, 12:04:47 AM
I guess I question the need for an "announcement" for a new website. Changes like this happen all the time. Maybe if they'd have just made changes people would have been surprised and impressed, rather than disappointed and underwhelmed.

I wouldn't say the website is changed "all of the time."  The current site is over 3 years old.

valpopal

Quote from: crusaderguy08 on June 27, 2011, 11:44:46 PM
Quite frankly, the only ones who made this announcement underwhelming were those of you who took what was posted on the Crusader Facebook page and blew it out of proportion.  The original post read: "Less than one month until something new is unveiled by Valpo Athletics! Look for more information to come in the weeks ahead!" 

Where do you see in that post that there is a "big announcement" coming?  The marketing team was trying to generate some buzz and interest during a slow part of the year and didn't exaggerate one bit in doing so.  Is this post not accurate now that you know a new website is coming on Friday? 

I personally did not use the word "big" in any message until I saw the Crusader's latest facebook note today, which does speak of this announcement as "relatively big" and promises "another relatively big announcement in a few weeks" . . . "bigger than this one." Will we be justified in being underwhelmed if we do not consider this announcement as "relatively big" or if we do not see the next announcement in a few weeks as "bigger than this one"?

valpotx

On the plus side, the website looks more slick with each updated version!  
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Exactly...a website facelift doesn't seem to be a reason to create buzz.  But, that's just my opinion.

covufan

Quote from: Crusader03 on June 28, 2011, 09:54:38 AM

Exactly...a website facelift doesn't seem to be a reason to create buzz.  But, that's just my opinion.

Yeah.  No need to announce, just change the website.

cornonthe

I was one of those people running wild with my guess on Facebook...mine was Division I hockey!!! ;D