• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #13 Belmont Round 2

Started by VUSWIM08-12, December 26, 2015, 12:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on December 30, 2015, 07:43:05 AM
The loss at Belmont isn't as much of an issue as the loss at Ball State. At the end of the season, one could make a pretty good case for an at large bid with four losses as follows: OCC losses at Oregon and Belmont and in-conference losses at say Milwaukee and at Oakland. If the fifth loss of the season ends up as a close loss in the HL championship, then it wouldn't be unrealistic to have a good shot an at-large bid. The Ball State loss is going to look far worse to the selection committee.

Of course, just win the HL tourney and it isn't an issue.

I would think that if all our losses are on the road that the committee would also look favorable on our record.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

I think all losses are created pretty equal - a loss to a better team is an opportunity wasted to beat a better opponent. It does matter if it's at home or on the road, but I think the difference between replacing a ball state loss with a win isn't much different than replacing the Oregon loss with a win.

StlVUFan

http://www.hoopville.com/2015/12/29/the-morning-dish-tuesday-december-29-2015/

Still, any number of comments on this game pronounced the Crusaders' NCAA Tournament at-large hopes as dead after this loss. Nonsense. Valpo went out and played a very tough non-conference schedule, and the NCAA selection committee routinely says it takes into account injuries when evaluating teams. With wins at Oregon State and the effort to play teams like Oregon, Rhode Island and Belmont on the road, Bryce Drew's team will likely need to win the Horizon League regular season crown, but if it does so, and doesn't use up 5-6 losses to do it, then an at-large berth will be a reasonable possibility.

78crusader

This "at large" stuff should not be the subject of any more discussion at the present time. I think we have enough worries right now trying to fend off several other very capable HL teams for the regular season and HL tournament titles, not to mention a very challenging stretch of games to begin the conference season. 

Paul

a3uge

Quote from: 78crusader on December 30, 2015, 12:19:16 PM
This "at large" stuff should not be the subject of any more discussion at the present time. I think we have enough worries right now trying to fend off several other very capable HL teams for the regular season and HL tournament titles, not to mention a very challenging stretch of games to begin the conference season. 

Paul
We're fans, not players. Looking ahead to March doesn't really affect whether or not Valpo's going to win their next few games.

oklahomamick

I was at the game behind our bench.  Would have loved to see Jubril defensively in the post against Bradds.  I honestly believed that would have solved that problem.  Bradds would lower his shoulder and muschle Alec so deep that he ended up shooting bunnies.  Bradds couldn't out muscle Jubril.  We started scoring on most possessions in the second half (didn't matter because thats when Bradds was scoring on every touch).  We were more productive and efficient on offense when we weren't trying to run so many sets.  Our guys were taking them off the dribble and getting to the rim. 

More isolation and pick and rolls please.  Remember last year the pick and roll alley hoops to Vashil?  We set the screens but no cuts to basket.  A lot of time and passes outside of the arch. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Not to look for excuses, but, did we mention Tevonn leaving the game to vomit?  A quote or paraphrase of Bryce, in Oren's post-game piece.

bbtds

historyman

Belmont knocked off Murray State 81-73 in Nashville. Racers were up by 5 in the second half but got down by at 11, I believe, before MSU starting inching back only to lose by 8. There was some really sloppy play from Murray.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann