• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/14 - Milwaukee @ ARC

Started by talksalot, January 10, 2016, 07:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUfan

Milwaukee and Green Bay are two strong teams, a good team effort should get us a 5-0 record, wins over the other top teams in the first 1/3ed of the season VU 78 Milwaukee 73, VU 72 UWGB 66   :)

Valpower

Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2016, 10:00:25 PM
I just realized that I have become complacent and little worried about the upcoming week of basketball!   :o Danger  :o Danger! Danger!

I hope the team has a different frame of mine.
Not I. The votes in the AP and Coaches' polls have me thinking every game is important. I don't think we've shut the door on being ranked nor on the at-large opportunities, especially if we go 18-0 in conference.

Of course it won't be easy, but we've passed two of the important early tests with flying colors and the pieces are all there. 

SanityLost17

Our chances of going 18-0 are just so ridiculously low.  I know we played well last weekend, but you know how it goes.  There are always those one or two games when all of our shots are rimming out and the other team can't miss even with a hand in their face.  Or there will be a game when the refs are extremely whistle happy and we get in foul trouble in conjunction with a few guys being sick our are out with minor injuries.  It is just the nature of the beast over a tough conference season.

Milwaukee probably matches up "man for man" with us better than any other team in the Horizon.  They have decent size and strength, a pass first point guard, and a few guys that can really bury 3's when they are on.  I expect this will be a win, because we are playing at home.  However, I think they will probably get us when we play them in Milwaukee.   

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 14, 2016, 07:14:16 AM
Our chances of going 18-0 are just so ridiculously low.  I know we played well last weekend, but you know how it goes.  There are always those one or two games when all of our shots are rimming out and the other team can't miss even with a hand in their face.  Or there will be a game when the refs are extremely whistle happy and we get in foul trouble in conjunction with a few guys being sick our are out with minor injuries.  It is just the nature of the beast over a tough conference season.

Milwaukee probably matches up "man for man" with us better than any other team in the Horizon.  They have decent size and strength, a pass first point guard, and a few guys that can really bury 3's when they are on.  I expect this will be a win, because we are playing at home.  However, I think they will probably get us when we play them in Milwaukee.
That last trip is going to be rough. I hope we have the 1 or 2 seed locked up after that (ugh pointless to win the regular season now).

wh

There's a good game day article in the NWI Times.  Don't have any more free reads to post the link. The 2 major points:

•Alec says that they lost focus after the successful west coast trip, assuming everything would just take care of itself.  Back on track now.
•In reference to Tevonn's posterizing dunk at Milwaukee, Alec notes that Tevonn can hit his head on the rim anytime he wants. Doesn't even need to stretch or tie his shoes.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on January 14, 2016, 07:40:05 AM
There's a good game day article in the NWI Times.  Don't have any more free reads to post the link. The 2 major points:

•Alec says that they lost focus after the successful west coast trip, assuming everything would just take care of itself.  Back on track now.
•In reference to Tevonn's posterizing dunk at Milwaukee, Alec notes that Tevonn can hit his head on the rim anytime he wants. Doesn't even need to stretch or tie his shoes.
High-flying Walker brings energy to the Crusaders
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Hey, Butler did it one year. Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you. Yes I can!

agibson

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2016, 10:19:08 AM
Our chances of going 18-0 are just so ridiculously low.   

Hey, Butler did it one year. Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you. Yes I can!

The biggest single game test, most would agree, was passed with flying colors.  And two of the biggest three or four?

Our computer numbers (e.g. KenPom, Sagarin) have improved. 

RPI Forecast, based on Sagarin's PREDICTOR, puts our odds of running the table at 16%. Up considerably.  And makes "0 or 1 losses" a coin flip with "more than 1 loss".

Running the table's never going to be easy, and is not the most likely outcome.  But, I'm not saying never.  I'm even saying "maybe... just maybe".  Enjoy it while it lasts!

HC

I picked 17-1 back when we did that thread, the one I thought we might lose is in the rearview mirror.  I wish I could change my answer to 18-0, in fact I'm disgusted with myself for thinking we might lose one game.  I'm a bad fan.

Valpower

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2016, 10:19:08 AM

Exactly. The odds are low but what's ridiculously low is how often a good team returns all their talent and adds more. We've lost games (by an average margin of 4 points) so we know we can't win them all, but going forward, there isn't a game in which we won't be favored, barring any key injuries.

Jordan

"There's a good game day article in the NWI Times.  Don't have any more free reads to post the link. The 2 major points:"

If you have Google Chrome - open an incognito window and you'll get your free reads back!  8-)

vu72

Quote from: Jordan on January 14, 2016, 01:12:48 PM
"There's a good game day article in the NWI Times.  Don't have any more free reads to post the link. The 2 major points:"

If you have Google Chrome - open an incognito window and you'll get your free reads back!  8-)

The article was posted above by FWAlum.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: Jordan on January 14, 2016, 01:12:48 PMIf you have Google Chrome - open an incognito window and you'll get your free reads back!

Or, you know, subscribe to the newspaper and help ensure continuing coverage of VU Athletics ;)

Too bad there's no micro-payment option, read an article for a dime or a quarter or something.  I did end up feeling guilty enough, a year or so ago, to take out a subscription.  At the time I said I'd do it for a time, as a sort of recognition of the value of the coverage I was appreciating (VU Athletics, a bit of local news).  Haven't discontinued it yet...

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on January 14, 2016, 04:49:08 PMNice article from the Chicago Tribune:

It's "just" Osipoff's game day piece from the Post Tribune, one of the local NW Indiana papers.  They were bought a couple of years ago by the Tribune (first by the Sun Times, maybe?) and their websites have been merged.

But, we're very lucky to have two local papers, two beat writers, delivering quality coverage.  Definitely worth linking their articles.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: agibson on January 14, 2016, 05:20:29 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 14, 2016, 04:49:08 PMNice article from the Chicago Tribune:

It's "just" Osipoff's game day piece from the Post Tribune, one of the local NW Indiana papers.  They were bought a couple of years ago by the Tribune (first by the Sun Times, maybe?) and their websites have been merged.

But, we're very lucky to have two local papers, two beat writers, delivering quality coverage.  Definitely worth linking their articles.

The Milwaukee forum has been complaining that they get no attention from the local media unless they're playing UW-Madison.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at our occasional Chi-Tribune shoutout, even if it's just a copy/paste of the Osipoff article.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Listened to game on radio. Great run at the end.

Peters only 2 points!

a3uge

Love the work on the glass. The Carter 3 to put us up 11 was great - Peters was posting up against Johnson and Carter shot knowing Peters had a good shot at a rebound if he missed. At least, I hope that's how it went down.

govalpogo

Guessing there will be some free throw shooting in the gym tomorrow!  Double digit wins thus far over what would appear to be the top half of the league.  Keep rolling and stay focused!

nkvu

Nice win while Peters was clearly not on his game.  Shows we don't rely on just our stud to win games.  Defense was solid as usual.  Rebounds were unreal. Have to keep it up.

hailcrusaders

This felt a bit like the inverse of the 2014 HL Semifinal between these two teams. This time, it was Valpo owning the glass and never letting UWM back into it. 20-0 on second chance points.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

#CrusadersForever

VUfan

Solid game Peters Does what is needed and friends Party on the UWGB! home win record!!

agibson

Some bright spots, for sure.  Vashil a force. Hammink an inspiration driving from the point.  Some quality defense.

Was Milwaukee even _trying_ to rebound?  When's the last time our offensive rebounds equaled other teams defensive?

Peters body language, facial expressions, in the second half were interesting.  Seemed definitely off his game, seemed to be sort of flummoxed, "Huh, not going so well for me.  But, we're up 10.  Maybe that's OK?"

Overall, my gut feeling says B, B- game from Valpo.  And you win by double digits.  There you go. 

HC

Peters off, still nearly a double double, and horrid free throw shooting = a 12 point win.  Valpo got all the rebounds!

Was it just me, I sit pretty far up, or did the one ref's whistle kind of sickly?