• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/28 - Green Bay @ Resch Center - Final Regular Season game

Started by talksalot, February 27, 2016, 06:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 02, 2016, 10:43:20 PM
How much better?  I didn't say there was no advantage, I said I don't see how you quantity it.  You said huge.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
There were only 15 arenas that have losing records at home through 2015. The median arena has a 67% winning percentage. The ARC is at 71%. There's clearly an advantage to playing at home vs playing on a neutral court - this is well documented and even included in RPI calculations.

StlVUFan

One more time: never said there's *no* advantage.  Said it's *not that much* of an advantage.  I meant in any one game.  Admittedly I have no more basis for that quantification than I see with your word "huge".  In other words, take our semifinal game at the Joe and move it to the ARC.  Say it's Milwaukee.  How much of a point swing would it be?

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on February 28, 2016, 04:08:45 PM
Watching the replay of Shane's shot, my favorite part is watching Todd, who is on the end of the scorer's table, jump up and pump his fists while obviously trying to remain somewhat contained for the broadcast.

A little low-res, but here's the clip.  Todd's a little fuzzy, but definitely there at the end of the scorer's table, by Bryce, standing, fist pumping, etc. Nice!

[tweet]705422006200631296[/tweet]

By comparison, Bryce has no visible (low-res) reaction. Apparently calmly preparing for the next play.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 02, 2016, 11:17:57 PMIn other words, take our semifinal game at the Joe and move it to the ARC.  Say it's Milwaukee.  How much of a point swing would it be?

We hashed home-court advantage out in a certain amount of detail a few months ago, maybe on a soccer thread (in soccer there's an interesting trend across time and leagues of the advantage decreasing over time).

I don't remember all the details, or if there was one killer study. But, in league play with everybody playing home-and-home it should be pretty easy to do the study (avoiding guarantee games, etc.).  I do remember concluding that NCAA basketball had one of the clearer home advantages in all of sports.

Google suggests "about four points" with an average of 3.7 in one recent study (not sure if that was done carefully, or not) with the ARC a bit higher, #50 in one study at 5.8 points. But, again, I don't vouch for that particular study.

Just to say, I think that this is one case where things are pretty quantifiable. And that there's a definite home court advantage.

StlVUFan

3.7, okay.  I vaguely remember the discussion you refer to.

Isn't 3.7 consistent with "not that much"?  How does that compare to playing with fresh legs against a team that has played at least 80 minutes in the previous 48 hours vs. the previous 96?

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 03, 2016, 11:16:26 AM
3.7, okay.  I vaguely remember the discussion you refer to.

Isn't 3.7 consistent with "not that much"?  How does that compare to playing with fresh legs against a team that has played at least 80 minutes in the previous 48 hours vs. the previous 96?

The 2 seed also gets a double bye. That's the point. The 1 seed no longer has an advantage over the 2 seed (other than playing the 4-5 seed in the 1st game vs the 3 seed). There was an advantage in the past: home court. Home court advantage is well documented. Yes, I would call a 70% winning percentage at home for the median team a huge advantage. I think the majority of people who watch college basketball realize that playing at home is a huge advantage over playing on a neutral court or playing on the road. Take last year's game in Columbus and play it in the ARC. I would definitely consider that a "huge" advantage, and I'm sure Maryland fans would say the same.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Oh I do get all that, and I have no doubt that is what everyone would say.  I'm just questioning the magnitude of it.  The adjective feels like a conclusion without rigorous data behind it ("huge", not "advantage" -- I recognize there is rigorous data behind that).

And I will acknowledge the advantage over the 2 seed is pretty much gone.

I guess where I'm coming from is that I think it's a mixed bag - some good and some bad.  We lost something but we also gained something, and I wonder if the sum of the two is negligible.

webbvufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 03, 2016, 02:59:37 PM

I think that the advantage actually shifts to the 2 seed when either OU or UDM earns that seed.

StlVUFan

Quote from: webbvufan on March 03, 2016, 04:15:06 PM

I think that the advantage actually shifts to the 2 seed when either OU or UDM earns that seed.
That too, yeah.

wh

Quote from: webbvufan on March 03, 2016, 04:15:06 PM

I had to laugh when reading an earlier post from an Oakland fan about the woes of having to play the late evening semi-final game on Monday and how that might keep some Oakland fans from attending. We have some fans who are going to drive 5 hours home after Monday's game, get 2 or 3 hours sleep, and get up and go to work. This guy's complaining about how a 40-min. drive home after the game might not allow enough sleep before going to work on Tues., so some fans might opt to stay home and watch it on TV.

I guess everyone has their cross to bare. Lol

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 03, 2016, 01:37:30 PMTake last year's game in Columbus and play it in the ARC. I would definitely consider that a "huge" advantage, and I'm sure Maryland fans would say the same.

At the same time the Terrapin Fever in Valparaiso would have really sparked an economic upturn for the Region city. So much so that it wold have been reported by Gerry Dick on Inside INdiana Business.   ;)

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2016, 04:18:27 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 03, 2016, 01:37:30 PMTake last year's game in Columbus and play it in the ARC. I would definitely consider that a "huge" advantage, and I'm sure Maryland fans would say the same.

At the same time the Terrapin Fever in Valparaiso would have really sparked an economic upturn for the Region city. So much so that it wold have been reported by Gerry Dick on Inside INdiana Business.   ;)

I'm hoping there will be great economic impact on the city of Valparaiso when VU wins 3 games in the NCAA tournament and people get curious about what's in the water in Valpo. Of course not like "what's in the water in Flint?"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

mb230611

Quote from: wh on March 03, 2016, 06:14:03 PMI had to laugh when reading an earlier post from an Oakland fan about the woes of having to play the late evening semi-final game on Monday and how that might keep some Oakland fans from attending. We have some fans who are going to drive 5 hours home after Monday's game, get 2 or 3 hours sleep, and get up and go to work. This guy's complaining about how a 40-min. drive home after the game might not allow enough sleep before going to work on Tues., so some fans might opt to stay home and watch it on TV. I guess everyone has their cross to bare. Lol
Where in my post did I complain or claim that the Monday night late tip was anyone's cross to bear? I was just being honest, realistic, and objective with the poster who asked last week what I thought the crowd could be like and what the buzz was in the Detroit area. I didn't complain at all, and I didn't make any comparison to other fan bases and their respective drives or try to speak for other fan bases other than to speculate a little bit about UDM. Didn't realize you'd take my comment as a pissing contest over hardships. The fact is, for whatever reasons, some Oakland fans who live within an hour or so of Joe Louis Arena won't be going to the game and will watch on TV instead, so don't expect the attendance to double tonight. Just like there weren't 8,000-10,000 when UDM played Saturday or Sunday. Plenty of local fans showed up, and plenty didn't. It is what it is, and kudos to all of the fans of all of the teams who made/will be making the trip to the Joe.