• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2018-2019

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2018, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was it the correct move to relieve Tracey Dorow of her duties as Head Coach of the Valpo Women's Basketball Team?

Yes
No

VU2014

It sounds like the mysterious medical issue may not have existed. They may have asked her to stay at home because they knew this was coming. Or maybe they were giving Assistant Coach Justin Rees a test trial as acting head coach?

valpotx

I hope that we only consider D-1 coaches this time.  We need to leverage our conference affiliation to find someone that has success at the D-1 level, whether it is a top assistant from a P5 program, or someone that has experienced success at a low major.

We appreciate her contributions over the last 6 years, but it comes down to wins.
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

I would really hope you wouldn't promote someone who was an assistant during this mess. New blood up and down that start could turn this thing around very quickly.

VU2014

I'd try and hire someone with ties to the Region if possible. I have no clue who that might be.

vu72

A classy response from Tracy. I wish her well.  It simply was time and I applaud Mark for not hesitating.  We have skilled players.  We need someone to get them in the right place.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Not a surprise and certainly the right move. Valpo gave her a sufficient period and the results were not there

VU2010

And yet when do we get answers for the issues with the men's team? Not calling for anyone to lose their job but answers and change.

VU2014

Quote from: VU2010 on March 10, 2018, 10:52:07 PM
And yet when do we get answers for the issues with the men's team? Not calling for anyone to lose their job but answers and change.

I'm hoping members of the men's coaching staff will join Paul on his podcast to have a long form discussion this offseason. Purely from a coaching standpoint I've been much more impressed by the Coach Lottich then I ever was with Coach Dorow. Lottich's teams have had more talent. It was a pretty rough season for both teams but I thought the men's team was noticeably starting to turn a corner the last month of the season.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2010 on March 10, 2018, 10:52:07 PM
What issues are you talking about? The only thing that I am not sure I understand is how Joe Burton, the player who most likely was the critical lynchpin for this team, seemingly was "allowed" to get into academic trouble. Troubles with Skara and Jubril are on Bryce. Bradford was in the wrong place at the wrong time, should know better and answer the door. Performance in my mind goes back mostly to Burton and Tevonn's mono which was not really under his control.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

The issue with Bradford is minor compared to the grand scheme. To even consider right now that Lottich should be fired is so ridiculus. Valpo hoop under Dorow was brutal for 6 years.

JD24

Quote from: VU2010 on March 10, 2018, 10:52:07 PMAnd yet when do we get answers for the issues with the men's team? Not calling for anyone to lose their job but answers and change.

We have a coach who last year lost the best player in the league Valpo was in for the conference tournament. This year, the team lost that player along with a few other solid contributors while being replaced by others who may have only replaced the solid contributors all while switching conferences in a staggering display of poor timing in terms of competitiveness.....

......and you want to call the guy on the carpet?

Tough crowd.

Just Sayin

QuoteThe only thing that I am not sure I understand is how Joe Burton, the player who most likely was the critical lynchpin for this team, seemingly was "allowed" to get into academic trouble.

It's somebody else's fault.

VULB#62

Any other observations on the Dorow dismissal or can we retitle this string more in line with the current trend and make it all about MBB?

Hoosier22

Long overdue! She was not good. Hopefully they get rid of Rees too, he was just as bad!

IndyValpo

http://www.evangelathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2017-18/releases/20180411f1wy5b

Say this for Dorow, her assistants find head coaching jobs. Here is the fourth to take a college head job, plus one is HS.

VULB#62

bbtds

Just curious, is there a reason for the name change or is Tracey better known as a Bloodworth in that community?

Also, when the St. Joseph Bears lose to the Paw Paw Redskins does it feel like getting your foot cut off by DC pro football player?

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on May 14, 2018, 10:14:00 AM
Just curious, is there a reason for the name change or is Tracey better known as a Bloodworth in that community?

My best guess is bloodworth is her maiden name?

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on May 14, 2018, 10:14:00 AMis there a reason for the name change or is Tracey better known as a Bloodworth in that community?

Divorce maybe?  Her bio at Valpo lists two kids but no husband.  I saw a bio for her from Ferris State which did list her husband, Rob Dorow.  Probably happened a while ago and the Bloodworth name recognition is much higher at her high school.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

They got divorced several years ago. Kept her married name while in VU job for consistency. Changed her name on all social media sites (Facebook, Twitter) soon after leaving VU. I don't believe it was related to getting job back at old school.

Hillary Smith was most recent sports editor at The Times and she got married several years ago, becoming Hillary Bird. She kept her maiden name while at The Times, but when she left for new job she changed to her married name. All for branding purposes.

valpo64

Calling for some answers on the men's basketball program?????     Are you kidding me?    What are you talking about?