• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

10/29/11: Hillsdale Game Thread

Started by vu72, October 24, 2011, 09:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Good to at least get a win, and see that Kevin contributed quite a bit!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Turns out I was able to attend the game...

Scoreboard good - especially at the introduction with the video.  I don't like things like the "loudness meter".  Not a lot of originality or spirit in having the scoreboard tell or encouarge the fans what to do.

No way there were 2600 in attendance - more like 1500.

Broekhoff, Van Wijk, and the defense half of Buggs were the only positive things.  Team looked good in short stretches on offense, but flat and non-energetic quite a bit of the time.  Shooting was awful. Defense was decent at times, lost or outplayed at other times. Like RS, I won't single anyone out, but none of the new players vs. last year's roster impressed.  

Hillsdale played hard and had some solid guys and played a good team game.

EddieCabot

Quote from: sectionee on October 26, 2011, 07:08:16 PM
The point is the game won't be close.

As I pointed out, Hillsdale is good.  I thought they'd need a big game from Eaton to win, but they still stayed close with him on the bench most of the night.  Good game from Van Wijk.

sectionee

Valpo played pretty poorly but kudos to Hillsdale for shooting it well from outside.  I certainly overestimated the new guys for one night at least.

Anyways, here is my wrap up.  Didn't stick around for the post game, had to get my son outside for the fireworks!

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/10/game-wrap-up-coachable-victory.html

wh

Here are my thoughts about the game:

- In reading others' comments, someone said they thought we looked flat.  Flat seems to connotate that either we weren't up for the game, or we weren't in the game mentally.  I didn't really see that.  The guys worked hard from beginning to end.
- If anything, I would say we were out of sinc, which shouldn't be a big surprise given that we lost nearly 70% of our shooting from a year ago, plus are trying to blend in a lot of new players.  I also think it didn't help that Hillsdale players were constantly fouling.  It seemed like we could never get into a rhythm and that was at least part of the reason. 
- I give Hillsdale a lot of credit, but we had a lot of open looks that just didn't go down.  Had we hit anywhere close to a respectable pct., the game would not have been that close. 
- We have A LOT of work to do on defense.  Far too many times, no one moveHid to help stop dribble penetration and the dribbler was able to finish unmolested.  Hillsdale also posted up players when they saw they had a height advantage.  Our guys were supposed to double the poster immediately after he received the entry pass, but arrived too late several times.  Also, it looked like they didn't know for sure who should be doubling.   That's all stuff that I'm sure Bryce will address and get straightened out in short order.

I like our guys.  I think they'll be fine given a little time to blend together.     

valpopal

Ryan and Kevin were terrific, the rest of the team shot less than 25%. Though the team shot only 23% from the 3-point line, Harris hit a couple of clutch 3-pointers, and Buggs played his typically tight defense. The rest of the team played as if they were in division II, while Hillsdale often played as if they were a division I team on offense, especially with their three-point shooting. However, they were clearly slower than the VU players, whose quickness continually drew fouls. Fortunately, the free throw disparity helped keep Valpo in the game. At 67% the free throw percentage was not great, but good enough, and also good was the possible evidence of improvement in Buggs' free throw shot. Oddity: Ryan and Kevin played 57 minutes and scored 43 points; yet, neither committed a foul all night.

The new guys all seemed uncomfortable: Edwards seemed to be too quick to shoot and had trouble with his outside shot; he also appears more suitable for the 4 position instead of the 5, where he will be more than I would like to see. Bogan appears to be a good passer, but he showed no evidence tonight of being the pure shooter Bryce claims. Kurth doesn't seem to have found any added offense to his game. Bryce apparently does not see Vucic as much of a contributor again this year, since he only played 3 minutes in an exhibition game where Fernandez is still ineligible. Speaking of Bryce, it sounded strange to hear him introduced as the Crusaders' head coach, and I detected no significant difference from Homer in his coaching style tonight.

The new scoreboards are excellent, especially the ongoing stats, though there seemed to be a glitch getting the opening video started. Also, as good as the intro video is, at more than a minute and a half, it might be about 30 seconds too long (though that may just be because of the long delay in it getting underway). The visiting fans near me were getting restless during it, and the Hillsdale coach and officials seemed to be getting impatient as the video ran so long after the brief delay by the glitch. I wonder how this will be greeted by HL teams. There is also a lot of potential for additional video features during timeouts in the future. The sound system seemed to be slightly improved, but at times the PA was muddled.

humbleopinion

I've been reminding myself that this was just an exhibition game...

As I looked at the lineup down the stretch, it was noteworthy that none of the newcomers were in the game -- then, in the last minute, Bryce pulled Jay Harris and put in Will Bogan who found Kevin for the final basket.

I was really hoping to be wowed by the new guys, but that was not the case.  We need to be able to be effective from the outside in order to win games, and there was very little evidence of that last night.  On the other hand, Hillsdale made the most of their looks, and they had way too many of them.

It was just an exhibition game -- a game for learning and building confidence.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on October 24, 2011, 10:51:31 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 24, 2011, 09:54:09 AM
These guys may be tougher than some of us thought.  They have plenty of size:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/athletics/mens_basketball/roster.asp

Here is a preview interview with their coach: (actually this looks like last year's preview but you can get some idea anyway!)

http://www.gliac.org/mediaDay/mbkb/index

That assessment is spot on.  Hillsdale returns their top 4 scorers from last year's very good 20-6 team. 

They aren't IUSB or Purdue North Central ... they'll provide a meaningful test.  A convincing win would certainly be a good sign for the season.  Good luck!

Playing IUSB and PNC is like the varsity playing the jr. varsity.  I've been on both sides of those match-ups back in the day, and the value to anyone on the court is fairly limited.  To zville's point, playing Hillsdale was completely different in that respect.  There were no gimmes - we had to work for every point.  They were able to expose our weaknesses and took advantage of our mistakes.  Overall, it provided a good learning experience and we still came away with a win, which is always good for team confidence. 

vu72

For those who weren't "wowed" by the new guys, consider a couple of facts.  First, this was their first game as a Crusader and no doubt the need to excel may have played a part in their shooting percentage.

Second, remember the first game in a Crusader uniform for Cory Johnson and Brandon Wood?  A loss to Indianapolis and a combined 6 for 16 night and a total between the two of 16 points.  Somehow, those two turned out to be among the best players to ever wear the Brown and Gold.  I'd give them another game or two to see how things turn out!   ;)

Here's the Indianapolis box score:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/basketball-men/2009-10/Boxscores_stats/mbbex1.htm
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dylanrocks

So, all the heralded newcomers combined for exactly 10 points Saturday against Hillsdale (Edwards 8, Bogan 2).

To put it bluntly, you guys are going to need more production from your newcomers in order to finish in the upper half of the league.

zvillehaze

That's why they play these games ... to get guys familar with the system and each other.  I'd expect a much better performance (and a lopsided win) against DIII Augustana this week.

I do have one question for you ... after one game, it looks like Broekhoff is back in the 4 spot primarily (and Kenney at the 3).  Do you see that changing?  If so, who do you see taking the minutes at the 4 and 5 spots to allow Broekhoff to slide to the 3?

I guess once Fernandez is cleared, he might be part of the answer.  Increasing time for both Van Wijk and Edwards might happen also.  Based on a sample of one game, the vast improvement of Vucic appears to have been an overstatement.

IMO, with all the depth at guard, Bryce may continue with the small lineup just to get his best players on the floor.  I guess we'll see, but would be interested in the thoughts of guys closer to the program or who saw the game last night.

vu72

Quote from: dylanrocks on October 30, 2011, 01:53:07 PM
So, all the heralded newcomers combined for exactly 10 points Saturday against Hillsdale (Edwards 8, Bogan 2).

To put it bluntly, you guys are going to need more production from your newcomers in order to finish in the upper half of the league.

Ah, three of the "new guys" never hit the court.  I'd hold judgement for a while

Quote from: zvillehaze on October 30, 2011, 02:01:21 PM
That's why they play these games ... to get guys familar with the system and each other.  I'd expect a much better performance (and a lopsided win) against DIII Augustana this week.

I do have one question for you ... after one game, it looks like Broekhoff is back in the 4 spot primarily (and Kenney at the 3).  Do you see that changing?  If so, who do you see taking the minutes at the 4 and 5 spots to allow Broekhoff to slide to the 3?

I guess once Fernandez is cleared, he might be part of the answer.  Increasing time for both Van Wijk and Edwards might happen also.  Based on a sample of one game, the vast improvement of Vucic appears to have been an overstatement.

IMO, with all the depth at guard, Bryce may continue with the small lineup just to get his best players on the floor.  I guess we'll see, but would be interested in the thoughts of guys closer to the program or who saw the game last night.

Not having video or audio, not sure how you figured Ryan was playing the 4.  Clearly Kenney is a backup plan at the 3 but Edwards is the primary answer at the 4.  Broekhoff will be very tough to stop at the 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dylanrocks

Three guys didn't play? Not cleared yet?

No judgment. Just a statement.

You can't rely on Ryan Broekhoff and especially Kevin Van Wijk to get double-doubles against D-1 competition.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2011, 03:02:24 PM
Not having video or audio, not sure how you figured Ryan was playing the 4.  Clearly Kenney is a backup plan at the 3 but Edwards is the primary answer at the 4.  Broekhoff will be very tough to stop at the 3.

I "figured" it from the box score.  I'll share my work and you can point out where I'm wrong.

Total minutes for 4 and 5 spots = 80
Minutes played by obvious 4 and 5 guys = 46 (Van Wijk 24, Edwards 19, Vucic 3)
By my math, that leaves 34 minutes unaccounted for.  I assumed that Broekhoff's 33 minutes represented most of that.

If not Broekhoff, then you're telling me that the missing 34 minutes at the 4 spot were played by one of these guys ... Buggs, Harris, Kenney, Kurth or Bogan.  Is that what you're telling me?

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2011, 03:02:24 PM

Not having video or audio, not sure how you figured Ryan was playing the 4.  Clearly Kenney is a backup plan at the 3 but Edwards is the primary answer at the 4.  Broekhoff will be very tough to stop at the 3.

Ryan started at the 4 and played that position most of the game with Edwards not starting and usually coming in to spell Kevin.

I also would like to see Ryan more at the 3, while Kevin and Edwards play the 5 and 4. Perhaps if Fernandez and Jakolis were eligible, that could be the case. Ideally, I think the starting lineup and subs should be Kevin (Fernandez), Richie (Jakolis), Ryan (Kenney), Jay (Bogan), and Erik (Kurth), but that is not where we are at this point due to the ineligibility of Fernandez, Jakolis, and Boggs (who seems likely to redshirt this year).  

sectionee

Broekhoff typically was at the 4 last night.  I think he will probably end up staying there until/unless we get a third big guy who can contribute.  KVW will be a starter and will be effective.  Edwards will have to come off the bench to provide some relief unless Fernandez can contribute once he is eligible.  This leaves Rowdy to start at the 4 spot.

dylanrocks

I just don't think that Ryan Broekhoff is as effective at the 4 in our league as he is at the 3.

vu72

Quote from: dylanrocks on October 30, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
Three guys didn't play? Not cleared yet?

No judgment. Just a statement.

You can't rely on Ryan Broekhoff and especially Kevin Van Wijk to get double-doubles against D-1 competition.

That's right. Fernandez and Jakolis have not been cleared to play although Vashil is practicing.  Boggs isn't eligible till second semester and it is looking more likely that he will redshirt to give him a full two years of play rather than a year and a half.
That leaves Capobianco who needs to sit out this year after transferring in from Indiana.  So actually there are four guys who practice (other than Jakolis at this point, who didn't or couldn't play last night.

vu84v2

So is there any expected timeframe for Fernandez to be eligible?  I am not saying he is going to make all of the different, but frankly without him there is only one guy that can play the 5.  This team will get pounded inside - very bleak outlook.

chef

Broekhoff's most effective position in the HL is the four. The main reason why is he scores most of his baskets coming off screens, and it's much easier for a small player to chase around a screen than a big player. Additionally, most teams in the league play three guards. Ryan will get better looks when being guarded by a bigger, yet slower player. Also, on defense, Ryan is better guarding the bigs than he is guarding a smaller player that will take him off the dribble.

wh

Two encouraging tidbits from the game that I don't recall anyone mentioning:

- Erik Buggs was 3-4 from the FT line.  His form was beautiful.  Limited arm motion, nice backspun, soft touch.  Someone has worked with him to completely recreate his shot.  Bear in mind that only one game last year did he shoot over 50% from the line.  Believe me when I say the hack-an-Eric days are over. 

- Will Bogan went 0-4 from the field - all 3's - but I can tell this kid is a shooter.  He has good form and isn't afraid to shoot.  Once he missed 4 he seemed to back off as most new players would, but it would not surprise me to see him avg. 7-10 ppg.  As others have mentioned we have to get points from that position, and I'm sure Bryce is counting on Will to fill that need.

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on October 31, 2011, 06:43:11 PM

- Erik Buggs was 3-4 from the FT line.  His form was beautiful.  Limited arm motion, nice backspun, soft touch.  Someone has worked with him to completely recreate his shot.  Bear in mind that only one game last year did he shoot over 50% from the line.  Believe me when I say the hack-an-Eric days are over.  - Will Bogan went 0-4 from the field - all 3's - but I can tell this kid is a shooter.  He has good form and isn't afraid to shoot.  Once he missed 4 he seemed to back off as most new players would, but it would not surprise me to see him avg. 7-10 ppg.  As others have mentioned we have to get points from that position, and I'm sure Bryce is counting on Will to fill that need.

That's a pretty bold statement after one game preseason game...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 01, 2011, 03:54:43 PM

- Erik Buggs was 3-4 from the FT line.  His form was beautiful.  Limited arm motion, nice backspun, soft touch.  Someone has worked with him to completely recreate his shot.  Bear in mind that only one game last year did he shoot over 50% from the line.  Believe me when I say the hack-an-Eric days are over.  - Will Bogan went 0-4 from the field - all 3's - but I can tell this kid is a shooter.  He has good form and isn't afraid to shoot.  Once he missed 4 he seemed to back off as most new players would, but it would not surprise me to see him avg. 7-10 ppg.  As others have mentioned we have to get points from that position, and I'm sure Bryce is counting on Will to fill that need.

If it's of any comfort MM, I'm usually right about things far more than I am wrong.   ;)

valpopal

- Erik Buggs was 3-4 from the FT line.  His form was beautiful.  Limited arm motion, nice backspun, soft touch.  Someone has worked with him to completely recreate his shot.  Bear in mind that only one game last year did he shoot over 50% from the line.  Believe me when I say the hack-an-Eric days are over.   - Will Bogan went 0-4 from the field - all 3's - but I can tell this kid is a shooter.  He has good form and isn't afraid to shoot.  Once he missed 4 he seemed to back off as most new players would, but it would not surprise me to see him avg. 7-10 ppg.  As others have mentioned we have to get points from that position, and I'm sure Bryce is counting on Will to fill that need.

Although I hedged with use of the word "possible," I made a similar note about observed improvement in my above commentary on the game: "also good was the possible evidence of improvement in Buggs' free throw shot." His free throws definitely looked more comfortable and more fluid than I remembered from last year.

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpopal on November 01, 2011, 06:15:36 PM

Although I hedged with use of the word "possible," I made a similar note about observed improvement in my above commentary on the game: "also good was the possible evidence of improvement in Buggs' free throw shot." His free throws definitely looked more comfortable and more fluid than I remembered from last year.

Well that's a pretty big improvement. Allowing Buggs to be on the floor in tight games will certainly help...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado