• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Counting down Valpo's top 10 players in the 2010's

Started by bbtds, May 21, 2020, 09:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

M

VUGrad1314

Am super interested to see the Honorable Mention\ just missed list to see who didn't make the cut. That we have such a strong list and have players we can debate as to whether they should have been on it or not is a testament to how strong our program has been. I hope the 2020s are as productive for us as the 2010s were. At the start of the decade we were just beginning to find our way in a new conference before becoming a constant contender... Sound familiar? May history repeat itself. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on May 21, 2020, 10:16:10 PMPeters, Broekhoff, Carter, Vashil, KVW

Carter's already there at 6. Four of those 5 have to be there. Peters and Broekhoff are locks. Vashil and KVW should absolutely be there. Who's the other one? Buggs? Johnson? Wood? This calls to mind how kind the transfer market has been to us as well. We've generally had pretty good luck. Hopefully Goodnews Kpegeol (I hope I'm spelling that right I promise I'll get it down quickly.) is no exception.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 21, 2020, 11:22:26 PM
Quote from: M on May 21, 2020, 10:16:10 PMPeters, Broekhoff, Carter, Vashil, KVW

Carter's already there at 6. Four of those 5 have to be there. Peters and Broekhoff are locks. Vashil and KVW should absolutely be there. Who's the other one? Buggs? Johnson? Wood? This calls to mind how kind the transfer market has been to us as well. We've generally had pretty good luck. Hopefully Goodnews Kpegeol (I hope I'm spelling that right I promise I'll get it down quickly.) is no exception.

Paul will definitely have Wood in there.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 22, 2020, 10:01:08 AMPaul will definitely have Wood in there.

As well he should.  I'd also take Cory Johnson over KVW. He averaged 15.6 and 5.8 his senior year. Second only to Mr. Wood.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Brandon Wood and Cory Johnson not on the list. Only played one year in the decade. I was aiming for players with at least 50 games. Maybe a mistake on my part.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on May 22, 2020, 10:31:18 AM
Quote from: EddieCabot on May 22, 2020, 10:01:08 AMPaul will definitely have Wood in there.

As well he should.  I'd also take Cory Johnson over KVW. He averaged 15.6 and 5.8 his senior year. Second only to Mr. Wood.

Agree.  I took a detailed look back and ranking players is really difficult because so many were only with the team for 2 or 3 years.  For example, I would rank Kenney and T Walker ahead of Dority because they were both very solid for 4 years. 

I'll also be interested to see if Paul includes JFL.  His two seasons were better than the two seasons that Hamminck, Dority and Carter provided. 

vu84v2

In order (5 through 1): KVW, Vashil, JFL, Broekhoff, Peters

VUGrad1314

That's a good and very fair list. Paul if you could make an honorable mention list (with or without your minimums in place) who would be on it? Just curious.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 22, 2020, 08:39:11 PM
That's a good and very fair list. Paul if you could make an honorable mention list (with or without your minimums in place) who would be on it? Just curious.

Good list.  The only argument I would make is that Carter does not belong ahead of Tevonn.  Tevonn scored 1,400+ career points (only 200 less than Ryan) and was a great defender (#8 in career steals).  I think he easily belongs in the top five. 

Honorable mention list would be long with so many great players in the decade.  I think Buggs, Bogan, Capobianco, Adekoya, D Walker, Nickerson and Fazekas would be on the list.

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 23, 2020, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 22, 2020, 08:39:11 PM

Good list.  The only argument I would make is that Carter does not belong ahead of Tevonn.  Tevonn scored 1,400+ career points (only 200 less than Ryan) and was a great defender (#8 in career steals).  I think he easily belongs in the top five. 

Honorable mention list would be long with so many great players in the decade.  I think Buggs, Bogan, Capobianco, Adekoya, D Walker, Nickerson and Fazekas would be on the list.

Paul and Todd discuss on today's USH podcast.  It appears that Todd disagrees with me, stating that Carter probably belongs in the top 5.  He's seen more games and talked to the coaches way more than me, so I'll defer.

Todd also stated that the 2017 team, if not for the Adekoya situation and the Peters injury, clearly would have won a game in the NCAA tournament ... no doubt.

VUGrad1314

15-16 would have too... So many missed opportunities... I hope we can cash in once we make it again whenever that is...