• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021-2022 Schedule

Started by VUGrad1314, April 16, 2021, 09:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Everybody wants to come to Beaconville!  I can hear it now :  "The Freekin' Beacons are in the House".  Cookies and milk for everyone at halftime along with a free t-shirt and napkin.  How exciting!

VALPO LI

A December to remember at the ARC!  Exciting schedule so far.  Quality teams and fun games to watch.  Charlotte, UIC and Trinity are Saturday games which is good!
There is no reason we shouldn't pack the ARC!
I really like the Western Michigan pick up as well.
Shine on Vu

justducky

2 openings and only 1 true road game. Milwaukee is #122 on the College Sports Madness 144. Looks like they have openings and we are a prefect fit to travel for a road and home. Same poll has Prairie View at #135.

Do we have a scheduling strategy or are we randomly plugging in willing opponents? When do we peak and how high is our elevation? What do we do for home games in 22-23?  ???

VALPO LI

Quote from: justducky on August 11, 2021, 04:20:38 PM
2 openings and only 1 true road game. Milwaukee is #122 on the College Sports Madness 144. Looks like they have openings and we are a prefect fit to travel for a road and home. Same poll has Prairie View at #135.

Do we have a scheduling strategy or are we randomly plugging in willing opponents? When do we peak and how high is our elevation? What do we do for home games in 22-23?  ???

From what I have been seeing and hearing in the past Luke Gore and the Valpo coaching staff like to schedule Home and Home games.  Toledo, SIUe, Ball St. were just a few in the past.  Western Michigan may be just that I am not sure.  The last 2 games missing from our schedule may be on the road as Home and Home or a buy game against a power 5 and then travel to a second school near by with a return to Valpo next year. (Similar to Arkansas/High Point/Charlotte in 20),
Shine on Vu

Pgmado

Quote from: justducky on August 11, 2021, 04:20:38 PMDo we have a scheduling strategy or are we randomly plugging in willing opponents?

Yes. There was a strategy to getting some of these games that are new to the schedule (William & Mary, Prairie View). When the full schedule is announced, I'll do my annual podcast with Luke Gore and I'm sure he'll touch on a relatively new approach they seemed to employ this year.

VALPO LI

I'm curious if the new approach is to just buy home games like the bigger schools do.  Looking forward to that podcast, I always enjoy listening to that interview with Luke Gore on Union Street Hoops. 

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1425570015391125510

Not since 2013 has Valpo had 8 non conference Home Games!!!!!!
Shine on Vu

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on August 11, 2021, 07:31:42 PMYes. There was a strategy to getting some of these games that are new to the schedule (William & Mary, Prairie View). When the full schedule is announced, I'll do my annual podcast with Luke Gore and I'm sure he'll touch on a relatively new approach they seemed to employ this year.

I'll have to listen because I don't yet get it. Looks like our home game dominated but modest quality SOS is better suited to help the Valley (RPI and NET) rather than help us prepare for the Valley (which looks to be brutally competitive). Maybe 4 or max 5 games with OOC 65 to 130 NET opponents. Are we trying to build confidence and momentum? Will the freshmen see the floor? Do we want to try to peak early? Am I miscalculating the Valley or am I miscalculating us?

And I don't even want to think about the money calculation.  :o  Are we anticipating big and growing crowds for our big talents or is this all in for a make or break hand?

valpotx

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 11, 2021, 08:18:01 PM
I'm curious if the new approach is to just buy home games like the bigger schools do.  Looking forward to that podcast, I always enjoy listening to that interview with Luke Gore on Union Street Hoops. 

Looks like pgmado is trying to impart Beacons every few sentences, to really drive home the pain.  It isn't helping it settle as our mascot, unfortunately. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 11, 2021, 01:59:27 PMThere is no reason we shouldn't pack the ARC!

I seem to remember one good reason.

valpo64

I have to laugh when I see the comments about this year's pre-conference schedule.. It doesn't really matter who and for what reason we schedule anyone, as far as our group is concerned no one will ever be happy whether it be for what school(s) we schedule or for what reason we do what we do.

valpo64

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on August 12, 2021, 02:14:40 AM
Quote from: VALPO LI on August 11, 2021, 08:18:01 PM

Looks like pgmado is trying to impart Beacons every few sentences, to really drive home the pain.  It isn't helping it settle as our mascot, unfortunately. 

I'm just happy there is a nickname. Bouncing back and forth between Valparaiso and Valpo was annoying. I'm using it to get myself into a rhythm.

VUGrad1314

I like the emphasis on home games which will probably help make up the shortfall we reportedly had last year. But TWO non D1s? Seriously? Sigh... I was okay with the schedule given that we have so many new faces and don't really know what we have as a team yet or whether we're a contender or not but two non D1s is at least one too many...

Valpofamfan

Glad we've finally got that power 5 game scheduled - bring on Stanford!

VALPO LI

That's what I am talking about!!!!
Valpo finally got Stanford on their schedule.
Love it!!! Love it!!! Love it!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

justducky

Quote from: Valpofamfan on August 25, 2021, 04:10:49 PM
Glad we've finally got that power 5 game scheduled - bring on Stanford!

Interesting! Nov 17 for a midweek one game swing west.  ??? I kind of like the timing but maybe not the extra travel. Toledo, then UIC, then Stanford? How good will we be?

justducky

Quote from: justducky on August 25, 2021, 04:43:54 PMToledo, then UIC, then Stanford? How good will we be?

Just remembered that Stanford was picked this morning for 77'th place in the College Sports Madness Top 144. Projected to be 7'th in Pac 12. It will be their 3'rd D-1 game also so how good will they be?

VALPO LI

Final piece of the puzzle has been added to the schedule.  Valpo will host East-West University on Tuesday December 7th.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
This game quietly appeared on the schedule  :-X
Shine on Vu

valpotx

I think that someone mentioned prior that there would be 2 non-D1s on the schedule, so this doesn't bother me at this point.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Valpo will be challenged against a Conference of Champions opponent.  The PAC 12, as shown in the tournament last year, was much better than forecasted.

I hope Pasch and Walton do the broadcast at the Farm.

vu72

Just thought we should actually talk about sports here.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 31, 2021, 07:15:38 AM
Valpo will be challenged against a Conference of Champions opponent.  The PAC 12, as shown in the tournament last year, was much better than forecasted.

I hope Pasch and Walton do the broadcast at the Farm.

I get that Walton is a treasure for some, but I would actively mute the broadcast if that were the case.  Good, solid game for Valpo to get though, and given the mascot situation for both schools now, entirely appropriate.

usc4valpo

not sure what you meant by your comment vu72. I am discussing basketball, and it would be an honor for Bill Walton to provide commentary on the Beac-Tree game on the Conference of Champions Television network.

vu84v2

I generally do not enjoy Walton's commentary as it frequently has nothing to do with the game that I am watching. However, I have seen cases in which a Pac 12 team plays a non-conference opponent with Walton doing the color. In these cases, Walton goes out of his way to provide as many positive details as he can about the opponent's university (which is certainly helped by information provided by the opponent's SID). For the promotional value that would bring to Valpo, I hope that Walton does do color for the Valpo-Stanford game.