• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Why Matt is a Good Coach

Started by Just Sayin, November 10, 2021, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

JFL is 2-0 and the leading scorer in both of those games. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bb33

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 16, 2021, 09:36:40 AM
JFL is 2-0 and the leading scorer in both of those games. 

He is amazing. I'm not questioning that.  I just think he gets lost in the Big East with all the other talent.  I don't hear a peep about DePaul basketball, at least around me. Loyola has taken their reign. That and the Bulls are now fun to watch again.  I don't even hear DePaul in discussions for college (I have kids this age).

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2021/10/19/mens-basketball-villanovas-gillespie-named-big-east-preseason-player-of-the-year.aspx

I know he just got player of the week so maybe it is changing.  I hope so.  I like JFL.

Just Sayin

Quote from: bb33 on November 16, 2021, 09:10:45 AM
I don't think it is right to speculate that Matt is making promises.  I don't think he would based on the little I know him, except maybe that the facilities would be improved.

JFL left because he was influenced to think playing at DePaul would be better for his career.  I would say that was shortsighted.   He is a small fish in a big pond in the Big East.  And Depaul is currently irrelevant in Chicago.  Kiethier is now a big fish in a medium pond.  He is going to have a monster season.  I think he will be a better player for us than Ben. (If not, then watch out Valley). He was a great recruit for Matt.

I am going to refrain from passing judgement until all our pieces are on the floor.   I am an optimistic person by nature, but even I am skeptical about the season and Matt.  But the only way to continue to enthusiastically support this team, which they need, is to hold on to hope that things will come around.  It is still November.

Thank you for telling us why Matt is a good coach.

tiny707

How about Why is Matt a Bad Coach thread?

Just Sayin

Quote from: tiny707 on November 17, 2021, 12:06:34 PM
How about Why is Matt a Bad Coach thread?

Feel free to start one. No one was able to come up with the answer to the question: "Why is Matt a Good Coach."

mj

It's hard to believe we signed a contract extension with this joker.
I believe that we will win.

valpopal

David Ragland named as "a lock" if Valpo decides to move from Matt.

[tweet]1462989307933868037[/tweet]

oklahomamick

I'm not giving up on the chosen one, Bruce.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUSERF

Anyone interested in #FireLottich masks to wear at Valpo games?

Only partially joking.

I still hope Matt makes me eat my hat.

bb33

Personally, I'm not a fan of bashing the coach. I plan to support him and the team until the season is over, even if it's hard. And sometimes it is really hard.  It really doesn't matter what we think or feel, we don't make any decisions. And we are just a small sample of the Valpo community.

Besides, if Matt doesn't get this team to perform he WILL lose his job. His job is already on the line without any negativity from us.   I don't need to throw salt on any wounds. 

But you guys can continue to tear him down if you feel it gives you some sort of power.   ISU and MSU fans are doing the same thing.

Just Sayin

Quote from: bb33 on November 25, 2021, 07:51:44 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of bashing the coach. I plan to support him and the team until the season is over, even if it's hard. And sometimes it is really hard.  It really doesn't matter what we think or feel, we don't make any decisions. And we are just a small sample of the Valpo community.

Besides, if Matt doesn't get this team to perform he WILL lose his job. His job is already on the line without any negativity from us.   I don't need to throw salt on any wounds. 

But you guys can continue to tear him down if you feel it gives you some sort of power.   ISU and MSU fans are doing the same thing.

Why is Matt a good coach is the title of this thread.

wh

Follow along and you'll have your answer:

• If/When Coach Matt Lottich's teams start winning consistently, he will go from bad coach to good coach.
• If/When he goes from winning consistently to winning championships, he will go from good coach to very good coach.
• If/When he goes from winning championships to winning NCAA tournament games, he will go from very good coach to great coach.

Following suit, the identical coaching decisions that he gets lambasted for now in the "poor coach" category will be deemed brilliant in the "great coach" category.

It's no more complicated than that.

oklahomamick

Impossible.  He is who he is.  Simple as that. 
CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

Quote from: wh on November 25, 2021, 10:28:18 AM
Follow along and you'll have your answer:

• If/When Coach Matt Lottich's teams start winning consistently, he will go from bad coach to good coach.
• If/When he goes from winning consistently to winning championships, he will go from good coach to very good coach.
• If/When he goes from winning championships to winning NCAA tournament games, he will go from very good coach to great coach.

Following suit, the identical coaching decisions that he gets lambasted for now in the "poor coach" category will be deemed brilliant in the "great coach" category.

It's no more complicated than that.

Add one more point.

If/When he goes from winning (occasional) NCAA tournament games to consistently winning NCAA tournament games, he will go from being Valpo's coach to being some P5 school's coach.

Then we can start this crap all over again. The circle of life for mid-major basketball.

usc4valpo

No more excuses for Matt. It's been over 4 years. I would bet even he would accept that.

oklahomamick

If p5 and schools with more money want your coach then that means you have a good coach and success has been had.  That is not the case with Matt. 

Let me ask, if he was let go at the end of the season, does he land a head coaching job anywhere?  Anywhere, even a ovc, southland, summit, job? 
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

He lands an assistant coach job somewhere. 

oklahomamick

Yep.  Not good enough to be a head coach anywhere else. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Ok, still searching for why Matt is a good coach. Thought about the scheduling. He sought out very good Div. 2 teams for the exhibition games so that he could learn right away the team's weaknesses to get them ready. Had he scheduled cupcake teams, these blowout wins would have only served to give the team false confidence in it abitlies and there would most likely not have been any real teaching opportunities for the team to make it better.

Then he scheduled or accepted a tourney invite with teams that were as good as or slightly better than Valpo. The 2 out of 3 wins gave the team some genuine confidence in their ability to win while also providing teaching moments to work on in practice.

Now it's time to take a breath before conference play begins and schedule some teams we should easily beat, with the exception of Drake folded in between those teams. Again, a check on where the team is and if it has learned to win against one of the best teams in the MVC and the team should be at optimum strength before conference games.

Am I right?

bb33

I am doing a complete about face.  I am officially on the FIRE LOTTICH campaign.  I have heard some things and he needs to go.   

Because there are no reasons to say he is a good coach.

Can't say what I heard, but that entire program needs an overhaul. 

Just Sayin

Quote from: bb33 on November 26, 2021, 12:01:57 PM
I am doing a complete about face.  I am officially on the FIRE LOTTICH campaign.  I have heard some things and he needs to go.   

Well that's helpful. About face on hearsay. Right.

bb33

What I know is based 100 percent on facts.  It is not based on something I heard through the gossip mill.   

wh

Quote from: bb33 on November 26, 2021, 12:01:57 PM

Do you have a clue how irresponsible and damaging your post is??? For openers, no one even knows who you are, let alone who you talked to, whether that person has a clue, whether they heard something 1st hand or 10th hand, whether they have an axe to grind, whether you have an axe to grind, or whether everything you said is total fabrication. And worse, you don't have the common decency to share what you allegedly heard, leaving everyone's imagination to fill in the blanks.

You are the new worst poster ever. Why don't you do the right thing and remove yourself from the board.

wh

Quote from: bb33 on November 26, 2021, 12:15:41 PM
What I know is based 100 percent on facts.  It is not based on something I heard through the gossip mill.   

You are an unnamed source who alleges you spoke to another unnamed source who may have gotten information from other unnamed sources, accusing Coach Matt Lottich of an unidentified, apparently egregious something or other.

The damage is done. It is irreversible. Go away!