• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Why Matt is a Good Coach

Started by Just Sayin, November 10, 2021, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: wh on November 26, 2021, 12:42:21 PM
Quote from: bb33 on November 26, 2021, 12:15:41 PM
What I know is based 100 percent on facts.  It is not based on something I heard through the gossip mill.   

You are an unnamed source who alleges you spoke to another unnamed source who may have gotten information from other unnamed sources, accusing Coach Matt Lottich of an unidentified, apparently egregious something or other.

The damage is done. It is irreversible. Go away!

I reviewed many of his previous posts (bb33) and he appears to be a calm and logical thinker. Because of this my antenna are up but my short and intermediate term judgements on Lottich will be based only on his near term results. Matt remains innocent until I find him guilty.

bb33

You should reserve judgement. I  gave no details and I don't expect ANYONE to change their attitude based on my post because I gave no details (which I can't).   

My post was more an acknowledgment of a change in my attitude, since just a few days ago I stated  I didn't want to bash the coaches/call for change during the season.  Now all bets are off.  I am all for change. 

FWalum

First let me say that many of us on the forum have, or had at one time, a close relationship with an athletic program that gave us access to certain information. If the information you have is so egregious that it could hurt the university and the program then you or preferably the person who imparted this information to you should immediately inform the appropriate administrator without spreading potentially erroneous and destructive information further.

I have watched people both in business and athletics get fired because of misinterpreted situations. I was an assistant on a basketball staff that was fired because we were  accused of altering federal work study hours for several of our basketball players. This was completely correct, but what didn't come out until after the university did further investigation was that we were actually reducing the hours of players who were trying to falsify their time cards.

We asked for our jobs back, after being vindicated, and were told that the incident had embarrass the University and therefore they were moving on with another coaching staff. That is why this kind of stuff just really irks me.

If what you know is that bad then it will eventually come out but until that time I would keep my mouth shut.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2021, 01:25:06 PM
First let me say that many of us on the forum have, or had at one time, a close relationship with an athletic program that gave us access to certain information. If the information you have is so egregious that it could hurt the university and the program then you or preferably the person who imparted this information to you should immediately inform the appropriate administrator without spreading potentially erroneous and destructive information further.

I have watched people both in business and athletics get fired because of misinterpreted situations. I was an assistant on a basketball staff that was fired because we were  accused of altering federal work study hours for several of our basketball players. This was completely correct, but what didn't come out until after the university did further investigation was that we were actually reducing the hours of players who were trying to falsify their time cards.

We asked for our jobs back, after being vindicated, and were told that the incident had embarrass the University and therefore they were moving on with another coaching staff. That is why this kind of stuff just really irks me.

If what you know is that bad then it will eventually come out but until that time I would keep my mouth shut.

Good advice, but unfortunately it's too late. He defamed Valparaiso University's head men's basketball coach on a public forum and then doubled down on it. That's called libel.

Libel is a method of defamation expressed by print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form that is injurious to a person's reputation, exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession.

BTW rest assured this will make its way onto other MVC forums. Players' family members who follow this forum assuredly will read it and ask whoever their team member is what's going on. Players and managers will share it amongst themselves. Undoubtedly, recruits and potential recruits will come across it, and it will spread from there.

Just Sayin

I doubt that it could be proved that bb33 knew what he wrote about Matt was false. He likely thought it was true, thus no libel.

Chairback

Can we delete the post?   

Nothing more childish than "I have a secret and can't tell".   

If there were a serious issue other than losing I'm sure Vu and MLB would be aware and looking into. 

Ridiculous.   

valpo64

Enough of the cheap shot artists who constantly day in and day out bash Matt Lottich.  Peddle your wares someplace else.  Your comments are undermining our program, players, potential recruiting efforts and the University.  If some of you know so much about being a Div. 1 coach, then get a job doing it.  While we all are disappointed in this season's results thus far, let time play itself out.  We have heard enough of the bad-mouthing of our Coach.  Some of these comments are way out of line and I for one have heard enough.  Why not offer some positive remarks along with the questionable ones.  The way the year progresses will help to determine the fate of Coach Lottich.  Cheap shots, especially when they are shrouded by a nickname on a posting, are doing nothing but tearing down the program and University and produce no positive results. 

Many of these "I know it all" postings are only surpassed your arrogance and lack of knowledge.  They have no positive contribution to an otherwise open and thoughtful forum.  Let's contribute in a positive way, encouraging improvement and success, while being critical in a thoughtful and meaningful manner.    GO VALPO!

JD24

Quote from: wh on November 26, 2021, 01:45:49 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2021, 01:25:06 PMFirst let me say that many of us on the forum have, or had at one time, a close relationship with an athletic program that gave us access to certain information. If the information you have is so egregious that it could hurt the university and the program then you or preferably the person who imparted this information to you should immediately inform the appropriate administrator without spreading potentially erroneous and destructive information further. I have watched people both in business and athletics get fired because of misinterpreted situations. I was an assistant on a basketball staff that was fired because we were  accused of altering federal work study hours for several of our basketball players. This was completely correct, but what didn't come out until after the university did further investigation was that we were actually reducing the hours of players who were trying to falsify their time cards. We asked for our jobs back, after being vindicated, and were told that the incident had embarrass the University and therefore they were moving on with another coaching staff. That is why this kind of stuff just really irks me. If what you know is that bad then it will eventually come out but until that time I would keep my mouth shut.
Good advice, but unfortunately it's too late. He defamed Valparaiso University's head men's basketball coach on a public forum and then doubled down on it. That's called libel. Libel is a method of defamation expressed by print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form that is injurious to a person's reputation, exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession. BTW rest assured this will make its way onto other MVC forums. Players' family members who follow this forum assuredly will read it and ask whoever their team member is what's going on. Players and managers will share it amongst themselves. Undoubtedly, recruits and potential recruits will come across it, and it will spread from there.
Does Valpo not have a business law class or did you simply fail to take it?

It's not libel but it is pretty high school-ish.

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on November 26, 2021, 03:43:40 PM
Can we delete the post?   

If there were a serious issue other than losing I'm sure Vu and MLB would be aware and looking into. 

Ridiculous.   

Good idea! The moderator should delete the original allegation of impropriety and every following response!

Suspend bb33 from posting for 3 days for rumor mongering. Suspend wh for 3 days for overreacting. Then suspend Just Sayin, FWalum, Chairback, JD24, and myself for 2 days each for provocative intermediation! We need a couple of days off anyway.  ::)

JD24

Quote from: justducky on November 26, 2021, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: Chairback on November 26, 2021, 03:43:40 PMCan we delete the post? Nothing more childish than "I have a secret and can't tell". If there were a serious issue other than losing I'm sure Vu and MLB would be aware and looking into. Ridiculous.
Good idea! The moderator should delete the original allegation of impropriety and every following response! Suspend bb33 from posting for 3 days for rumor mongering. Suspend wh for 3 days for overreacting. Then suspend Just Sayin, FWalum, Chairback, JD24, and myself for 2 days each for provocative intermediation! We need a couple of days off anyway.  ::)
A loss tomorrow and we'll all be begging for a week!

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on November 26, 2021, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: Chairback on November 26, 2021, 03:43:40 PM
Can we delete the post?   

Ridiculous.   

Good idea! The moderator should delete the original allegation of impropriety and every following response!

Suspend bb33 from posting for 3 days for rumor mongering. Suspend wh for 3 days for overreacting. Then suspend Just Sayin, FWalum, Chairback, JD24, and myself for 2 days each for provocative intermediation! We need a couple of days off anyway.  ::)

Happy Holidays.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on November 26, 2021, 04:37:28 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2021, 01:25:06 PMFirst let me say that many of us on the forum have, or had at one time, a close relationship with an athletic program that gave us access to certain information. If the information you have is so egregious that it could hurt the university and the program then you or preferably the person who imparted this information to you should immediately inform the appropriate administrator without spreading potentially erroneous and destructive information further. I have watched people both in business and athletics get fired because of misinterpreted situations. I was an assistant on a basketball staff that was fired because we were  accused of altering federal work study hours for several of our basketball players. This was completely correct, but what didn't come out until after the university did further investigation was that we were actually reducing the hours of players who were trying to falsify their time cards. We asked for our jobs back, after being vindicated, and were told that the incident had embarrass the University and therefore they were moving on with another coaching staff. That is why this kind of stuff just really irks me. If what you know is that bad then it will eventually come out but until that time I would keep my mouth shut.
Good advice, but unfortunately it's too late. He defamed Valparaiso University's head men's basketball coach on a public forum and then doubled down on it. That's called libel. Libel is a method of defamation expressed by print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form that is injurious to a person's reputation, exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession. BTW rest assured this will make its way onto other MVC forums. Players' family members who follow this forum assuredly will read it and ask whoever their team member is what's going on. Players and managers will share it amongst themselves. Undoubtedly, recruits and potential recruits will come across it, and it will spread from there.
Does Valpo not have a business law class or did you simply fail to take it?

It's not libel but it is pretty high school-ish.

All this time I thought all you were good for was mind-numbing criticism of Matt Lottich. I'm impressed.

FWalum

Can we delete this whole thread?

It was a bomb just waiting to go off anyway and didn't really contribute much of anything.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

Heck, I am just glad that wh has not proclaimed me as the worst poster ever. I don't think anyone takes the board so seriously that someone will truly get slandered.that being said, 33s post was pretty lame.

Now back to SFA in the Valley and the conference of champions not getting respect...

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2021, 06:08:06 PM

It was a bomb just waiting to go off anyway and didn't really contribute much of anything.

:thumbsup: Suspend everybody who posted on it for 24 hours and suspend Just Sayin for 25 because he is guilty of opening the darn thing!

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2021, 06:15:10 PMHeck, I am just glad that wh has not proclaimed me as the worst poster ever.

Well if wh doesn't then I will. The love you have for that formerly red headed broadcast guy is entirely unnatural and disgusting!  ;)

Just Sayin

We can't have anyone speaking ill of the best coach ever. Even if he deserves the criticism. I calls em as I sees em. And will continue doing so.  Snowflakes.

usc4valpo

In reality, Matt needs to do better and the excuses are getting old. That is a fair statement IMHO. Nice person, good dude, but as a coach for the long term that is questionable. I would assume Matt would even agree,

Just Sayin

Well I don't recall you contributing and pointing out why you think he is a good coach.  Don't bitch about it just because you know and like Matt.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo64 on November 26, 2021, 04:31:36 PM
Enough of the cheap shot artists who constantly day in and day out bash Matt Lottich.  Peddle your wares someplace else.  Your comments are undermining our program, players, potential recruiting efforts and the University.  If some of you know so much about being a Div. 1 coach, then get a job doing it.  While we all are disappointed in this season's results thus far, let time play itself out.  We have heard enough ofop the bad-mouthing of our Coach.  Some of these comments are way out of line and I for one have heard enough.  Why not offer some positive remarks along with the questionable ones.  The way the year progresses will help to determine the fate of Coach Lottich.  Cheap shots, especially when they are oshrouded by a nickname on a posting, are doing nothing but tearing down the program and University and produce no positive results. 

Many of these "I know it all" postings are only surpassed your arrogance and lack of knowledge.  They have no positive contribution to an otherwise open and thoughtful forum.  Let's contribute in a positive way, encouraging improvement and success, while being critical in a thoughtful and meaningful manner.    GO VALPO!

Why don't you offer some positive remarks?  This thread is asking why is Matt a good coach. It says a lot that none of you lovers of Matt can't even say one positive thing.

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on November 26, 2021, 07:44:25 PM
Well I don't recall you contributing and pointing out why you think he is a good coach.  Don't bitch about it just because you know and like Matt.

Just be honest, this thread was meant to be provocative. Anything that would have been said in support of Matt is easily countered by "then why hasn't he won more".

I have met Matt twice at two practices. I know Luke better, mainly from his assistant days with Homer. I haven't been to a practice in four years, but when I did go I was relatively impressed with the organization and the effort given by the players. As a matter of fact I thought maybe practices were a little bit too physical.

I chose not to weigh in on this subject because there are things I agree with and things I don't agree with the way Matt is coaching. Then again I thought he did an excellent job of coaching in 19-20. If Fazekas had not been injured VU would have had a very good year with the distinct chance of a NCAA berth. I can also remember that many on the forum were very impressed in his first year with the way he handled the myriad of issues that could have made that season an unmitigated disaster. We also thought he was much better at using his timeouts. Do I like the rate at which we hoist up 3s? Absolutely not. Do I like what I see as a much more free form "let them play" offense versus a structured "old school" offensive scheme? Not on your life.

I don't see this as a purely black and white, good or bad situation. Almost every team is one injury or discipline problem away from having a season that doesn't live up to expectations. Would we even be having this thread at this time if Ben Krikke had not gotten injured in the first four minutes of the first exhibition game?

So there you go, I don't really know Matt. I have plenty of philosophical coaching differences with Matt, but I support the program and I support the way this staff have represented Valpo in an ethical, moral and religious way.

JD24

Quote from: wh on November 26, 2021, 05:32:14 PM
Quote from: JD24 on November 26, 2021, 04:37:28 PM
Does Valpo not have a business law class or did you simply fail to take it? It's not libel but it is pretty high school-ish.
All this time I thought all you were good for was mind-numbing criticism of Matt Lottich. I'm impressed.
Me. I haven't criticized Lottich nearly at all although he certainly deserves some.

wh

My mistake. You're the guy who crapped all over Sheldon Edwards after he led our amazing comeback and victory over Tulane and was named to the all tournament team. Not to be outdone, oklahomamick interjected (insert whiny voice here), "Remember when we used to win 3 games in tournaments like this instead of 2."

This board has a cesspool of negative posters who desperately feel a need to perpetuate a negative atmosphere. Pouring cold water on what should have been a fun moment and ruining it for everyone else is just a small part of it.

JD24

Quote from: wh on November 27, 2021, 09:27:58 AMMy mistake. You're the guy who crapped all over Sheldon Edwards after he led our amazing comeback and victory over Tulane and was named to the all tournament team. Not to be outdone, oklahomamick interjected (insert whiny voice here), "Remember when we used to win 3 games in tournaments like this instead of 2." This board has a cesspool of negative posters who desperately feel a need to perpetuate a negative atmosphere. Pouring cold water on what should have been a fun moment and ruining it for everyone else is just a small part of it.
It also has a couple of posters who, no matter how bad the situation is, try and blow smoke up everyone's behind about how things will or may get better or aren't as bad as things look.

For the record, my post regarding Edwards, was posted prior to the all tournament team....something I could care less about and means nothing....was named.  He came off the bench to help play them out of one game and played really well in another.  He's like the starting pitcher who pitches one absolute gem in the midst of 5 starts of which the other 4 range from barely acceptable to horrible and you can't get rid of him because of the one gem which some fans love. "We have to give him time to get consistent". No we don't.

As a critique of Lottich, the offense he runs seems to be sort of a blend between a motion offense and one that gives certain players or one player somewhat of a free reign. This role has moved from JFL to Clay and now Edwards. JFL's ability was such that he could fill this role pretty well even though he too ended up forcing things when they weren't there too often. Watching him at DePaul he appears to be a completely different player. Clay and Edwards driving one on three to flip up an over the shoulder layup or shooting too many defended 3's doesn't cut it.

wh

Sheldon's a work in progress. I get it. Everyone who follows the program gets it. If it makes you feel good to repeat it, even when inappropriate, go for it.

JD24

Quote from: wh on November 27, 2021, 03:23:19 PMSheldon's a work in progress. I get it. Everyone who follows the program gets it. If it makes you feel good to repeat it, even when inappropriate, go for it.
When was it inappropriate?