• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-2023 Schedule

Started by VALPO LI, May 15, 2022, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VALPO LI

Still early but last year April we had our first glimpse of excitement with the chatter of the Beacons first non-conference game.  Has anyone heard any rumblings for the 2022-2023 season? 
What I remember hearing is that Valpo may play at Toledo part of a return H and H (I am thinking the season opener) and home at the ARC vs. Western Michigan (return game of a H/H).
Any word on a MTE?
Hoping to see Ball State back on the schedule.  Those games were so much fun to watch and started to feel like a nice in-state rivalry!
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Given that the conference will now have 12 teams, I suspect (but not heard officially) that there will be four additional conference games because of continuing the double round robin. At least, this is what I hope that is done.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 15, 2022, 09:31:01 AM
Given that the conference will now have 12 teams, I suspect (but not heard officially) that there will be four additional conference games because of continuing the double round robin. At least, this is what I hope that is done.

Yes, like trading Belmont twice, Murray State twice and one more UIC for, at least hoping for, dropping Trinity Christian, East-West, and keeping two or three of Stanford, Charlotte, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, William & Mary & Prairie View and a tournament with teams like Tulane, Coastal Carolina & Jacksonville State. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

NotBryceDrew

I doubt we drop both non D1 maybe 1, I do hope both though.

chgovalpofan

I have heard rumblings of us playing down south, at a big time school with a new coach.  But this is not confirmed.

usc4valpo

No conference of champions opponent?

VUGrad1314

I love the idea of seeing plenty of MAC teams on the schedule. It's a comparable league in basketball strength to the MVC and therefore a good litmus test as we figure out how competitive we can be in league play this year. Plus the geography is good for low travel cost high interest games that might boost attendance somewhat. I don't know how many MAC school alumni are in the area but there's gotta be at least a few.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 15, 2022, 09:14:02 PMNo conference of champions opponent?
Valpo will get killed playing a Big12 team.

VUGrad1314

Also this is the first I've heard of 22 MVC games all the reports I saw indicated 20 games. I'm not sure I'd advocate for 22 games unless it was the only way to keep all non D1 games confined to the exhibition portion of the schedule where they belong. Really I think 20 should be more than enough to accomplish that but what do I know?

historyman

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 16, 2022, 03:24:31 AM
Also this is the first I've heard of 22 MVC games all the reports I saw indicated 20 games. I'm not sure I'd advocate for 22 games unless it was the only way to keep all non D1 games confined to the exhibition portion of the schedule where they belong. Really I think 20 should be more than enough to accomplish that but what do I know?

If Valpo were to lose 2 conference games out of 22 assuming that every team would play each opponent in conference twice home and away how would you propose deciding which two opponents Valpo would only play once? Would it be fair if Valpo only had to play Missouri State once and Northern Iowa once? With Donovan Clay playing for MOST (531 miles) and Northern Iowa (342 miles) would that make sense? Or should we only play Murray State (411 miles) and Belmont (443 miles) once each?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

I would like to see a more diverse schedule. A few power 5 games, same MAC, some MEAC, local Chicago teams, maybe a WAC team...

Please, bag the non D1 games.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: historyman on May 16, 2022, 03:33:01 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 16, 2022, 03:24:31 AMAlso this is the first I've heard of 22 MVC games all the reports I saw indicated 20 games. I'm not sure I'd advocate for 22 games unless it was the only way to keep all non D1 games confined to the exhibition portion of the schedule where they belong. Really I think 20 should be more than enough to accomplish that but what do I know?
If Valpo were to lose 2 conference games out of 22 assuming that every team would play each opponent in conference twice home and away how would you propose deciding which two opponents Valpo would only play once? Would it be fair if Valpo only had to play Missouri State once and Northern Iowa once? With Donovan Clay playing for MOST (531 miles) and Northern Iowa (342 miles) would that make sense? Or should we only play Murray State (411 miles) and Belmont (443 miles) once each?

I don't know how the conference will decide on the schedule ultimately I just know that less non conference opportunities is more than likely a hindrance if the league aspires to get multiple bids (not that I think that that's really possible this year though I suppose it could be). I also do not believe that the double round robin should be treated as this immutable sacrosanct thing that cannot be done away with. Many conferences at our level (A-10 Mountain West WCC to name a few) that are successful at getting at large bids do not have a double round robin. I doubt the decision will come down to travel but ensuring that the best most compelling potential matchups are preserved. Additionally, I am sure that consideration is given to protecting the best teams (based on the perceived strength of the roster) that have the best chance at receiving at large bids from too many resume dings. This is precisely what Gonzaga fought for when they ultimately decided to stay in the WCC instead of moving to the Mountain West. More teams can actually be a benefit because it can provide that insulation and create a slight boost to a team's overall metrics and resume. This was one reason why I was (and remain) a huge proponent of expansion if the right teams are available. The more good teams that are in the league the better the league is and the stronger the league is perceived by outside observers. It does not matter where those games are played or how far apart the schools are.

VALPO LI

I am hearing rumors that Valpo is part of the Savannah Invitational MTE.
HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING???
Participants "may" include:
South Dakota State - Summit (30-5) NCAA

Again nothing confirmed!!!
Shine on Vu

IndyValpo

Quote from: VALPO LI on June 09, 2022, 03:20:18 PM
I am hearing rumors that Valpo is part of the Savannah Invitational MTE.
HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING???
Participants "may" include:
South Dakota State - Summit (30-5) NCAA

Again nothing confirmed!!!
Per Jeff Goodman

Valpo, USA, So Dak St, Evansville, James Madison, Mercer, Robert Morris, Nicholas State, Fairfield, Towson

VALPO LI

Savannah Invitational
November 25-27th
10 Mid Majors

Evansville - MVC (6-24)
Fairfield - MAAC (15-18)
James Madison - Sun Belt (15-14 CAA)
Mercer - Southern Conference (16-17)
Nicholls State University - Southland (21-12)
Robert Morris - Horizon (8-24)
South Alabama - Sun Belt (21-12)
South Dakota State - Summit (30-5)
Towson - CAA (25-9)
Valpo - MVC (14-18)

VALPO played here in 2017-18 season and shared the title with Loyola. 
Bakari Evelyn was co-tournament MVP with 30 pts against UNCW.
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

This is not a good field if you just look at the teams and their performance last year but it is a good field for where Valpo is right now in its program. Valpo should do well in this field. Even though I don't see them winning it, they should be highly competitive. A spot in the semifinals or, if the bracket breaks right, even the finals is a distinct possibility.

historyman

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 11, 2022, 03:53:23 PM
This is not a good field if you just look at the teams and their performance last year but it is a good field for where Valpo is right now in its program. Valpo should do well in this field. Even though I don't see them winning it, they should be highly competitive. A spot in the semifinals or, if the bracket breaks right, even the finals is a distinct possibility.

I would think South Dakota State would be highly favored to win this tournament unless of course they had more than half their scorers transfer. 

vu84v2

Did not know that Stonehill was moving to D1, but lo and behold they are. One of five teams moving up starting in the 2022-2023 season, which also includes Lindenwood and Southern Indiana as replacements in the OVC for Belmont and Murray State.

VALPO LI

Wouldn't mind seeing University of Southern Indiana on the schedule or would fans see this game similar to playing IUPUI and PFW? 
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Quote from: VALPO LI on June 24, 2022, 06:12:45 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing University of Southern Indiana on the schedule or would fans see this game similar to playing IUPUI and PFW

Although PFW finished the Horizon League with a 15-6 conference record last season  ;)
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

No problem with scheduling Southern Indiana or PFW...would prefer not scheduling Lindenwood.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on June 25, 2022, 06:38:10 AM
No problem with scheduling Southern Indiana or PFW...would prefer not scheduling Lindenwood.

I'm sure SLU, SIUE, SIU-Carbondale, maybe Mizzou will schedule Lindenwood

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VALPO LI on June 24, 2022, 06:12:45 PMWouldn't mind seeing University of Southern Indiana on the schedule or would fans see this game similar to playing IUPUI and PFW?

Meh. At least USI is a D1 game. It doesn't strike me as a great scheduling get that moves the needle but it wouldn't be too bad I guess. PFW is interesting precisely because they were competitive in the HL this past year but IUPUI doesn't do a lot for me right now. Give me any of these in state D1s over any non D1 though.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: historyman on June 25, 2022, 12:17:47 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on June 25, 2022, 06:38:10 AMNo problem with scheduling Southern Indiana or PFW...would prefer not scheduling Lindenwood.
I'm sure SLU, SIUE, SIU-Carbondale, maybe Mizzou will schedule Lindenwood

SIUE will have to as a home and home since they are in the same conference SIU-C SLU and Mizzou might but probably only as a buy game (except maybe SIU-C which may not have the cache or finances to simply buy Lindenwood) but I don't know if any of these outside of SIUE is a given.