• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wood to Michigan State. Official

Started by blackpantheruwm, March 15, 2011, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoopfan22

He's getting zero NBA interest. The only publicity he's getting from the NBA is how he's making a mistake. I've said before I think this is foul but that may be just me. He can go for all I care. Can we get Bizoukas?

Valpo89

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 25, 2011, 08:52:23 AM
He's getting zero NBA interest. The only publicity he's getting from the NBA is how he's making a mistake. I've said before I think this is foul but that may be just me. He can go for all I care. Can we get Bizoukas?
Geez, I hope not. Does VU really need a 5-10 guard who barely played for a bad DePaul team?

hoopfan22

VU needs a local guy. Badly. Needs someone local who actually has a good experience here. That would rub off on future recruits i'd think.  I'd take him for the leadership factor alone. But he'd be the best on ball defender on the team, best decision maker, good leader, great example etc. Yes he was in over his head at Depaul(the big east. really?) but if he were at VU for 4 years do you think he wouldn't have much better numbers? I'd take him. IF Wood goes that is.

hoopfan22

Someone on Purdue's board is claiming he made up his mind and chose Michigan State.

crusaderdad

wrong

humbleopinion

Quote from: crusaderdad on April 25, 2011, 12:45:51 PM
wrong 

Crusaderdad, I was hoping you were saying "wrong" about the rumors on the Purdue board...
Beamin' Beacons

sectionee

Do you have any sources to back this up, or is this just opinion that you are passing off as fact?

hoopfan22

wrong

you aren't going to get me to believe an nba team has told you guys they may possibly have a pick for him. I know scouts too and i've heard some of the prognosis.

sectionee

I'd be interested, as I assume most of us would, about what the prognosis is about Brandon from both hoopfan and crusaderdad.  Fill us in fellas! 

vu72

So Hoopfan22, some NBA draft "experts" have Mack going in the first round and Norris Cole either late first or early second.  And the reason the experts think these two are better than Brandon is exactly what??  Plenty of NBA scouts have seen Brandon play and when they see him in workouts against others who are considered NBA material, their opinion on draft status may just change, time will tell...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

blackpantheruwm

CrusaderDad, obviously you're much closer to the situation than anyone else is.  How honest are scouts being with Brandon?  I had a friend who left college early for the NBA Draft recently, yet was picked much lower than scouts had told him he'd go.  He still did OK, now has a decent NBA job, but still, watching the draft picks where scouts told him he'd go pass him up, he figured he was lied to so the scouts would have another option.

What have you learned from the process?  (as much as you're willing to divulge)

crusaderdad

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 25, 2011, 01:23:17 PM

wrong

you aren't going to get me to believe an nba team has told you guys they may possibly have a pick for him. I know scouts too and i've heard some of the prognosis.

So happy you know scouts and have heard the prognosis.  I never said NBA guys have indicated they may have a possible pick for Brandon. I was referring to your comment stating, "brandon is getting zero NBA interest".  Do you really think Brandon would even contemplate a move without reaching out to the NBA folks who make draft decisions?  I'm guessing your contacts may have the same opinions as the guys who said George Hill wouldnt make it or Oden will be the next Shaq.  I must say I am impressed with your insider knowledge.  Trust me.  We understand the odds of making an NBA roster this year.  However, that has not deterred Brandon from going through the process as he has stated publicly.  If you dont enter there is NO chance of being drafted.

Regarding the Purdue boards:
Not quite sure what rumor we are talking about but it is no secret Brandon has received inquiries regarding his post-graduation plans.  Interest from Purdue, MSU, IU and Maryland just to name a few.

Regarding transfer options:
Yes, Brandon is looking into both educational and athletic opportunities away from Valpo.  Has he made a decision? NO.  Has he went on official visits? NO.  Will he? YES.  That is being worked out.

Regarding Valpo:
Brandon and the coaching staff have had nothing but a very positive relationship for the last two years.  Is Brandon happy at Valpo? absolutely YES.  If anything, exploring other options has more to do with the HL in general along with his desire to pursue his masters. He has done everything you can ask of a student/athlete.  Would we question Bryce if he entertained suitors from UNC or DUKE if his career goal was to coach in the NBA?

Regarding being noticed anywhere:
Exploring the Grad school option has NOTHING to do with being noticed.  Every NBA team already knows who Brandon is.  We have read about Keith Benson, Cole, Mack, Howard and a slew of others who got noticed.  Benson is 6'10", Cole put up ridiculous numbers AND had the monstrous game, Mack/Howard/Heyward play/ed for Butler in the NCAAs.  Enough Said.

2009-2010
Horizon League Newcomer of the Year
Second Team All-Horizon League
HL All-Newcomer squad
NABC All-District 12 Second Team
led the Horizon League in scoring with 17.7 ppg
Scored in double figures in 29 of his 32 games
Tallied at least 20 points on 12 occasions
Led Valpo in scoring in 17 games
Finished among league leaders in 3-pointers made and free throw percentage
Scored 30 points, including a season-best six 3-pointers, at North Carolina
24 points at Michigan State
Set a new Valpo Division I single-game scoring record with 39 points at Georgia Southern
became only third Crusader in the last 15 years to score 30 or more points multiple times in their career (Bryce Drew, Dan Oppland) and needed just five games to do so
Scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds at Purdue

2010-2011
1st Team All-Horizon League
1st Team All HL Tourney Team
HL Player of the Week x 2
NABC All-District 12 1st Team
led Valpo in scoring with 16.7 ppg

2011-2012
Preseason POY?
All HL First Team?
Postseason POY?

See where I'm going with this?

If I'm a NBA player development guy or scout or GM and Brandon puts up 20pts, 5asst and 5boards this upcoming season what exactly has he proved? I will answer for you.  He will prove he can do exactly what he has been doing for the last two years.

just saying

sectionee

Does Brandon's decision to stay or transfer (assuming he returns to school) have to be determined by May 8?

Also, wouldn't those numbers you listed (ppg, rpg, and apg) all be career highs for a season?  Seems like that would tell me he is a hardworking guy who is learning to get his teammates more involved and is still capable of creating scoring for himself despite being the focus of the opposing defense. 

Man, I hope he comes back...

crusaderdad

Quote from: sectionee on April 25, 2011, 05:24:10 PM
Does Brandon's decision to stay or transfer (assuming he returns to school) have to be determined by May 8?

Also, wouldn't those numbers you listed (ppg, rpg, and apg) all be career highs for a season?  Seems like that would tell me he is a hardworking guy who is learning to get his teammates more involved and is still capable of creating scoring for himself despite being the focus of the opposing defense. 

Man, I hope he comes back...

answer to first question is no.

Yes those numbers would be career highs. Being hardworking, the ability to get teammates involved and creating his own shot while being the number one option are not traits being questioned regarding NBA potential.

matching up defensively against bigger, stronger and NBA ready players is the number one concern along with the ability to play with and against other NBA ready players on a night in and night out basis.

sectionee

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/04/brandon-wood-update.html

Just a little something I threw together about what we've been talking about if anyone cares to read it. 

valpo84

crusaderdad--we support your family's process in evaluating what Brandon's options are and his current draft propsects. That's why the process exists and why players can learn a lot from it. Your review was very helpful to us. We also it helps Brandon understand the parts of his game that need improvement. We obviously think that another year at Valpo with an NCAA appearance and being a senior leader will also make him very valuable to teams and should maximize his options after next year. (not to mention the year of grad studies). We believe that Valpo would also give him the best chance to work on those parts of his game (within the team's offensive flow) that will make him more valuable. He also would leave quite a lasting legacy at Valpo. Thanks for sharing the information. We appreciate his two years at Valpo and we are glad it was positive. Three years would be even better!!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

And many of us realize that if Brandon chooses another program or a professional route for the 2011-12 season that Valpo must move on and wish Brandon all the best. Nobody stays in the college ranks forever except the coaches and fans. They must learn to get over the fact that student athletes with move on in the time the student athlete prefers according to what is best for the student athlete and quit begging the student athlete to see things through the fans' eyes. Brandon needs to do what Brandon feels is right for Brandon. No matter how Valpo fans taint it for him that is what will happen and we, as the fans, must accept it. Obviously the Valpo coaching staff has already accepted it and will welcome Brandon back with open arms if he chooses Valpo but will wish him well if he makes another choice.   

DMvalpo18

Quote from: bbtds on April 27, 2011, 06:43:08 AM
And many of us realize that if Brandon chooses another program or a professional route for the 2011-12 season that Valpo must move on and wish Brandon all the best. Nobody stays in the college ranks forever except the coaches and fans. They must learn to get over the fact that student athletes with move on in the time the student athlete prefers according to what is best for the student athlete and quit begging the student athlete to see things through the fans' eyes. Brandon needs to do what Brandon feels is right for Brandon. No matter how Valpo fans taint it for him that is what will happen and we, as the fans, must accept it. Obviously the Valpo coaching staff has already accepted it and will welcome Brandon back with open arms if he chooses Valpo but will wish him well if he makes another choice.   

we should have more confidence in our coaching staff to be able to put together a good team despite the possibility of losing a player. i trust homer to put a good team out there next year.

lowposter

Probably time to move on. 

Quite a bit of scoring and rebounding to replace with the four graduates, there are nice pieces to work with.

lowposter

humbleopinion

OK, I'm through with the stages of grief. 
Now let's find a big with skills and make the best of the situation.
Beamin' Beacons

valpospartan

DMvalpo18

glad to see brandon go to a strong program where he will continue to develop, and have a real shot at making it to the nba. i will look forward to watching him play on national tv. it is sad obviously to see him go, but i have confidence in homer and the rest of the staff to make us a good team next year. i will not change my opinion on that.