• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wood to Michigan State. Official

Started by blackpantheruwm, March 15, 2011, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

"Valpo is definitely still in the mix, I'm still a Crusader right now,"
"My experience here has been a great two years and I'll always be glad to be a Valpo alum. Regardless of what happens, I'll always be a Valpo alum."

Doesn't sound so good!

covufan

Brandon has given everything to VU, both on the court and in the classroom.  He is an excellent example of the true student-athlete.  After two transfers, he is still on schedule to graduate - something foreign to most Division I men's basketball scholarship players.  I applaud his exploring of options - as all student-athletes should do every year.  For most, it is a further commitment to improving particular skills on the floor, leadership, or in the classroom.  Brandon has many options due to his work in the classroom and on the court.  Where would VU basketball be without players like Redmon, Schmidt, Howard, Johnson, etc., had not explored their options?

I think his best option is to return to VU.  He is familiar with the coaches, the HL, and his teammates.  The grass may appear greener elsewhere, but once there things could change.  If he doesn't explore his options and seek outside council (MSU, Purdue, NBA) how can he be expected to make the best decision for him and his future.

I will miss not having him return - especially with the other returnees - if he so chooses. I also believe that with our returning team, there is more than enough scoring capability.  Would we be better with Brandon next year?  Of course, Yes.   

valpopal

I have noticed that various projections for the NBA Draft place Norris Cole among the second round selections. I think Brandon could easily be the outstanding player in the Horizon League next year, as Cole was this past year, and that would be the best path for him to follow if he wishes to gain attention by NBA scouts. As a newcomer on a top Big Ten team, Wood most likely would not get the number of touches and achieve the kind of statistics he certainly will with Valpo.

walldozer

The notion of Brandon to Michigan State per the above article really scares me.  MSU needs an experienced point guard and they just had a scholly open up with a transfer.  Word on the street (per message boards, so take it for what it is worth) is that MSU might not want to use this additional scholly this year so that they could use it for an additional recruit the year after next.  Bringing Brandon on the MSU team for one year would fill their need for an experienced point guard AND allow State to have an additional scholarship the year after next.  Also, at the present time, the only true point guard on State's team next year will be a true freshman.  This would mean that Brandon (if offered a scholly - which is pure conjecture at this point) would have a very good chance to start for a team is generally at the top of the heap in the Big 10 and usually makes very good runs in the NCAA tourney.  A good fit for all, except Valpo.  :-(

humbleopinion

Quote from: walldozer on April 19, 2011, 02:39:36 PM
The notion of Brandon to Michigan State per the above article really scares me.  MSU needs an experienced point guard and they just had a scholly open up with a transfer.  Word on the street (per message boards, so take it for what it is worth) is that MSU might not want to use this additional scholly this year so that they could use it for an additional recruit the year after next.  Bringing Brandon on the MSU team for one year would fill their need for an experienced point guard AND allow State to have an additional scholarship the year after next.  Also, at the present time, the only true point guard on State's team next year will be a true freshman.  This would mean that Brandon (if offered a scholly - which is pure conjecture at this point) would have a very good chance to start for a team is generally at the top of the heap in the Big 10 and usually makes very good runs in the NCAA tourney.  A good fit for all, except Valpo.  :-(

This is an interesting analysis, but I would prefer an analysis that argues that Brandon's return to Valpo is the only real option for him.
Beamin' Beacons

DMvalpo18

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 18, 2011, 11:25:16 AM
If he's seriously considering playing at another school, then it IS about Valpo not being good enough. Why couldn't he be seen at VU? One of his coaches played in the NBA?!? I'm not buying that where he can be seen excuse. You can. I won't. The roster is full of guards but not 1st team all conference shooters. It's okay we can applaud and act like this is nothing if we want, but if he ends up elsewhere, respect is gone.

the reason it was ok to be noticed in a non-power six conference for a guy like norris cole is because of the ridiculous numbers he was posting every game. we remember the game where had 41 points, 20 rebounds, and 9 assists. that is crazy. if you put up numbers like that you will be noticed. brandon lit it up a few times, but never had a crazy line like that. so unless you are going to tear it up every night, which brandon has had games where disappears, then you are much better off getting exposure in a power six conference. those games consistently have nbva scouts at them.

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 19, 2011, 03:24:16 PM

This is an interesting analysis, but I would prefer an analysis that argues that Brandon's return to Valpo is the only real option for him.
Quote from: humbleopinion on April 19, 2011, 03:24:16 PM

I provided one yesterday.  As someone pointed out, there is basically zero risk to the school he would play for.  If he performs well, they found lightning in a bottle.  If he doesn't, he's only taking up one scholarship for one year - very possibly one they wouldn't have filled anyway.  All the risk is assumed by Brandon, but presumably he knows that and is considering it anyway.  And before someone accents the obvious - again, I know it's his decision to make.

I wonder if people (other than closet Butler fans td and milanmiracle) would feel so conciliatory if he was considering Butler, instead of MSU or Purdue.     

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on April 19, 2011, 06:49:10 PMI wonder if people (other than closet Butler fans td and milanmiracle) would feel so conciliatory if he was considering Butler, instead of MSU or Purdue.     

Great point.  FWIW, Butler will have a scholarship available if Mack stays in the draft.  The downside is that he'd have to see Ron Nored every day instead of just twice a year.

Hoopsdude18

Read about this in the Detroit paper today, and I couldn't believe my eyes! Felt compelled to check out what you guys were saying about it. I just wanted to make one point about exposure for Brandon. I can only speculate how it is in the Horizon, but as a Summit League enthusiast, I can say that if the talent is there, the NBA scouts will follow. Keith Benson from Oakland has had scouts at Oakland games - home and away - for much of the past two years. And it hasn't just been at the big powerhouse road games. There were scouts watching him in Cedar City, Utah of all places. Likewise, this year Alex Young from IUPUI was getting looked at by scouts quite a bit. And a few years back George Hill from IUPUI was drafted in the first round out of The Summit League.

Because the Horizon League had other guys who were being scouted this past season (Mack and Cole, mainly), Brandon had even more opportunities to be "seen" within league play. It is true that those scouts will be at more Big Ten games on a more consistent basis, but if he is truly a talent capable of playing at the next level, the scouts will come to see him play often. There is a reason scouts were at almost every game Benson played this year...he has the talent, and they needed to evaluate it. But at the same time, the coaching staff put together a non-conference schedule designed to showcase him against players of the same ilk, that way there is tape of him going up against future first-rounders that they can evaluate better. But he also put himself in a position to be noticed by leading his team to championships and NCAA Tournament appearances.

I believe Wood could benefit more from leading Valparaiso to a Horizon League championship, post-season appearance, etc, while posting great numbers in the process. A challenging non-conference slate wouldn't hurt either, at least to the point where they'll get some tape of him going up against more NBA prospects.

Anyway, that's just my two cents, thought it was a point worth bringing up.

valpospartan

The notion of Brandon to Michigan State per the above article really scares me.  MSU needs an experienced point guard and they just had a scholly open up with a transfer.  Word on the street (per message boards, so take it for what it is worth) is that MSU might not want to use this additional scholly this year so that they could use it for an additional recruit the year after next.  Bringing Brandon on the MSU team for one year would fill their need for an experienced point guard AND allow State to have an additional scholarship the year after next.  Also, at the present time, the only true point guard on State's team next year will be a true freshman.  This would mean that Brandon (if offered a scholly - which is pure conjecture at this point) would have a very good chance to start for a team is generally at the top of the heap in the Big 10 and usually makes very good runs in the NCAA tourney.  A good fit for all, except Valpo.  :-(

Michigan State's point guard apparent is Keith Appling, who , as a freshman this year, played the fifth most minutes.  He is a  very good athlete and ran the point quite well for a freshman.  He, however isn't the scorer that Brandon is.
Here is a link from the MSU student newspaper, The State News - http://www.statenews.com/index.php/blog/hoop_there_it_is/2011/04/msu_possible_destination_for_valparaiso_guard

sectionee

Brandon never played point this past season.  Is that something that is pretty easy to pick up?  I mean, moving over to MSU would be having to learn an entire new style of play/tendencies of both coaches and teammates.  Maybe it is easier then I think and these are just pipe dreams I'm creating in hopes of convincing myself that he is better off staying at Valpo.

rlh

Quote from: sectionee on April 19, 2011, 09:59:19 PM
Brandon never played point this past season.  Is that something that is pretty easy to pick up?  I mean, moving over to MSU would be having to learn an entire new style of play/tendencies of both coaches and teammates.  Maybe it is easier then I think and these are just pipe dreams I'm creating in hopes of convincing myself that he is better off staying at Valpo.
Actually, point is one of the harder positions on the team, PLUS you have to be willing to give up scoring in most cases to set up others....no doubt Brandon has the talent to play the point, but could he do all that is involved and sacrifice some of his scoring, I'm not sure.....but then Kalen Lucas did that for Michigan State, although I'm not sure he was considered a point

valpospartan

Quote from: rlh on April 19, 2011, 10:13:59 PM
Quote from: sectionee on April 19, 2011, 09:59:19 PM
Actually, point is one of the harder positions on the team, PLUS you have to be willing to give up scoring in most cases to set up others....no doubt Brandon has the talent to play the point, but could he do all that is involved and sacrifice some of his scoring, I'm not sure.....but then Kalen Lucas did that for Michigan State, although I'm not sure he was considered a point

Kalin was the MSU point guard.

agibson

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 19, 2011, 07:42:39 PM
Great point.  FWIW, Butler will have a scholarship available if Mack stays in the draft.  The downside is that he'd have to see Ron Nored every day instead of just twice a year.

Academically, it's probably simpler for him to transfer to a PhD-granting university.  I assume Butler's graduate school options are roughly similar to Valpo's.  There might well be a couple of programs Butler offers that Valpo doesn't (and vice versa), but perhaps not too many?  I'm not sure how intent Brandon will be on finding an interesting academic program (vs. just any qualifying academic program), but it might make a transfer to a big, PhD-granting university more likely than a masters-level university.

cmack

Sometimes I just feel like other fans saw a different player than I did in Brandon Wood.  He is a good player who has as many big games as disappearing acts.  When you average them out, it makes a pretty good stat line.  The fact that he can seemlessly move to PG, I do not understand.  I haven't really seen any evidence that he would even be able to move over to that position at Valpo, much less at a top level D1 program.

I still say that he will have a great professional basketball career.  In Europe.  At least once his NBA pipe dreams are dashed for him.

vu72

So here is an interesting point:  Brandon needs to find a masters level program that Valpo doesn't offer.  Presuming his grades are good enough and his qualifying exam scores are there, what program might he pursue?

Well, he is a Sports Management and Business Major at Valpo.  So what might it be?  A Sports Management Masters?  Valpo has that.  An MBA?  Valpo has that.  A nursing Masters? Valpo has that (just kidding!!)

http://www.valpo.edu/grad/sportsad/index.php

http://www.valpo.edu/grad/sm/index.php

http://valpo.edu/mba/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: wh on April 20, 2011, 05:14:17 AM
Thoughts from the Butler board:

http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/7658/Valpo-s-Brandon-Wood

Interesting that they all assume he _is_ transferring.  Maybe it's deliberate, or maybe one made the inference/mistake and the rest just followed.

78crusader

I think he will transfer.  And his transfer, if it happens, will hurt VU in several ways.  It will diminish the stature and reputation of our program.  Paul

crusaderjoe

My gut tells me that he is gone IMO.  His comments about VU are eerily similar to Moussa Gueye's statements when he decommitted and opened up his recruiting again. I hope he stays, but if he is gone, I wish the kid the best.  You have to do what you have to do and it is not like he is leaving VU without his degree in his back pocket.

Maybe this is crazy talk but I wonder though whether we would even be having this discussion about him transferring to another school if we had landed a quality big man during the off-season.   I'm no basketball expert but it would seem to me that having a quality big man in the rotation would make defenses have to split time keying on BW as an offensive threat.  This would then allow him to be freed up more offensively next year.  He could then showcase his talents here instead of somewhere else if he doesn't turn pro.  Again, this could just be all  :crazy: but it seems logical to me, particularly if you are trying to turn some heads and make a case for the NBA in your last year.

wh

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 20, 2011, 10:54:30 AM
Maybe this is crazy talk but I wonder though whether we would even be having this discussion about him transferring to another school if we had landed a quality big man during the off-season.   I'm no basketball expert but it would seem to me that having a quality big man in the rotation would make defenses have to split time keying on BW as an offensive threat.  This would then allow him to be freed up more offensively next year.  He could then showcase his talents here instead of somewhere else if he doesn't turn pro.  Again, this could just be all  :crazy: but it seems logical to me, particularly if you are trying to turn some heads and make a case for the NBA in your last year.

Very interesting thought...not crazy at all.

zvillehaze

The Purdue mentions are interesting for a couple of reasons.  First, I don't believe they currently have a scholarship available.  Secondly, I recall that Brandon and those close to him didn't particularly care for the "system" at SIU ... Painter had a huge part in developing that system.

rlh

If he leaves, Purdue would be a terrible place for him to go....their point guard and the 2 and 3's are in place and with Hummel coming back (hopefully), I don't see it working....Michigan State on the other hand has lost their point, but this Appling kid they are very high on and you have to believe that he will be given first choice.  I understand what Brandon is trying to do, and it has almost nothing to do with education, but everything to do with giving him the best chance to get an NBA try.  All that being said, staying at VU is by far and away his best option.  I have no documentation for this, but there are a couple of cases where players have transferred after getting their bachelors and I can't remember one where they got the playing time and publicity they were seeking.  I may be wrong, but I can't think of any....I wish Brandon the best in whatever he decides...his game came by leaps and bounds this year and another year of college will make him even better...the question is where?

valpo84

78cursader -- the 5th year transfer is a new phenomena and has nothing to do with the "status of the program." Each student-athlete is different and has to decide what is best for him. The days of playing for the program and staying true to the school are long gone. North Carolina had a kid this year who used this exception and he came from Alabama. If BWood goes, it has a lot to do with him and his personality. He has that sometimes enviable chip on his shoulder -- wanting to show he can play at the highest levels. In his mind, if it is Purdue or MSU then you are not going to change that. Frankly, staying at Valpo allows him to best showcase his talents. Both of those schools have very structured offensive sets and not a lot of freedom for guards. Name some guards from either of those schools that have been successful in the NBA (Jerry Sichting). I love Izzo's offensive sets and style but as I have said before we have a good offensive philosophy for getting guys shots (whether we make them has been the issue).

FN. I bieve MSU's Brown has been pretty good but he left early and was a bit stifled in the MSU system. He struggled for a couple years before he became decent at LAL.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: valpo84 on April 20, 2011, 07:23:39 PM
Name some guards from either of those schools that have been successful in the NBA (Jerry Sichting).

How about Mateen Cleaves?  Whoops, never mind...