• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/31 WBB @ Detroit---a "must-win" game for the Lady 'Saders?

Started by Crusader03, December 30, 2011, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

Well, friends, I am back off the ledge after a long 48 hours recovering from the latest setback for my LS'ers.  So frustrating to see them do the Paula Abdul thang...1 step forward, 2 steps back.  I think we legitimately have reached the point in the season where this game is a must-win.  We cannot even begin to think about the NCAA tourney without putting this one away at Detroit. 

Look, it's a long shot, but if we were to win out until the championship of the HL tourney, we would finish at 23-9 (assuming we drop a tight one to UWGB in the championship).  I think that is enough to get in (but you never know with the shills down I-65, they aren't exactly brainiacs).  Yet, on the flip side, if we can't win this one I could see us going into a tailspin that really puts us behind the eight-ball for the rest of the season.  So, we have reached a crossroads...kind of a one and done.  If we win and move to 5-8, we right the ship and start the long upward climb.  If we lose, we sink. 

jack

I think this team is beyong any must wins the rest of the season. We don't have enough horses to stay in the fight week in and week out. We will win our share of contest, and improve along the way each week. That's all we can ask for. We came in this year with high hopes. We had last years freshmen working into the fold and impoving, and a nice group of incoming freshmen that not only would push them in practice, but would see possitive minutes in games this season. If you look at the talent we had at season's begining, In a perfect world with everyone healthy, the sky was the limit. We would have made a nice run in the league this year. Fast forward to now - we have Gerardot left standing from last years newbies, and Carr left from this years. Calloway is out, Horton is uncertain, Lang may be out - Scott is out, and Ladd flew the coup. moving up, we have Adams most likely out, Timmerman giving a valiant effort, but hurting, and all active players playing too many minutes without a blow to keep up the pace at this level. Again, I commend this team for what they are doing, but a trip to a post season tourney isn't likely at this point. I will continue to support them, enjoy watching them grow, and applaude their effort. These ladies will come out on the other side, a much better squad then when they went in, and, if by the grace of God, we can get through the season without any more injuries, I think we will surprise the teams that want to take us lightly.
Having said that, I'll predict a "W" at Detroit tomorrow. I think we can match up well if we play to our strengths. Go Crusaders!

covufan

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 30, 2011, 07:31:28 PM
Well, friends, I am back off the ledge after a long 48 hours recovering from the latest setback for my LS'ers.  So frustrating to see them do the Paula Abdul thang...1 step forward, 2 steps back.  I think we legitimately have reached the point in the season where this game is a must-win.  We cannot even begin to think about the NCAA tourney without putting this one away at Detroit. 

Look, it's a long shot, but if we were to win out until the championship of the HL tourney, we would finish at 23-9 (assuming we drop a tight one to UWGB in the championship).  I think that is enough to get in (but you never know with the shills down I-65, they aren't exactly brainiacs).  Yet, on the flip side, if we can't win this one I could see us going into a tailspin that really puts us behind the eight-ball for the rest of the season.  So, we have reached a crossroads...kind of a one and done.  If we win and move to 5-8, we right the ship and start the long upward climb.  If we lose, we sink. 
I appreciate your enthusiasm and optimistic outlook, but if you think this team has a chance at winning out the rest of the season, you need a reality check.  :crazy: At most this team will win 8-9 games against Division I opponents.  They might get 5-6 wins in the HL.  This would be an improvement over the beginning of the season, and bode well for next year.  It will be several years before this team gets an at-large berth in the NCAA tournament.

jack

Not sure I'd say "several" years. If we can come back healthy, with the squad we have, and the additions next season, we'll make some noise. Count on it. It's a shame we haven't been able to realize our potential yet.

valporun

I only wish we had more detail about what some of the injuries are. I understand we most likely wouldn't get the expectations of when most of the injured might be back, if at all this season, but it would at least be good to know what injuries are out there. I wouldn't even mind the general indicators like a leg, knee, back, foot, don't really need the specifics of each, just what and how much longer some of them might be out for.

jack

Without having any inside info, this is my understanding of the status right now;
Adams - probable redshirt - injury unknown
Calloway - probable redshirt - back injury
Lang - Back, knee, etc. - not likely to see this season
Horton - concusion - week to week
Timmerman - shin issues - limited playing time
Carr - hip issues but playing through them
Scott - ACL - done for the season
Ladd - gone
I'm sure the others that are availble are nursing something. Tough going right now.
You look at this, and wonder how we can even compete. What I wouldn't give to see all these ladies healthy and playing. I'm sure the coaches feel the same way. A lot of gut and heart with the players that are elgeable.

Crusader03

Well, lock the doors and turn off the lights boys, the party's over.  This collection of Lady 'Saders, for all intents and purposes, is done.  I think Keith may need to think about blowing things up.  There are some assistants/managers/trainers that may need to be shown the door.  Nothing personal, but the lack of recovery from injuries, lack of development etc falls on the staff.  (Keith can either take responsibility and be axed or he can pass the buck as he should and gain more time.)  Next, he might need to decide which players are non-essential and "nudge" them to consider other opportunities.  We need every s'ship free we can get so that Keith can bring in HL-level players (*elbow, elbow* and some of these girls ain't it, pal). 

If you rebuild it, they will come Keith!  DWNTBD!

jimdandy

how can this fall on anyone without the head coach being also part of the issue?
he recruits the players and hires the assistants  ???

Crusader03

Quote from: jimdandy on January 01, 2012, 09:22:23 AM
how can this fall on anyone without the head coach being also part of the issue?

Exactly...but if Keith wants to buy some time, he is going to need a scapegoat (or goats, as it were).

jack

Quote from: jimdandy on January 01, 2012, 09:22:23 AM
The buck always stops with the head coach. Unfortunately, 90% of the issues this season are out of his control. Again, I do think the training and conditioning could be something that warrants a good, hard look. I don't know the history of the players injured, but it falls on 1 of 2 things. Either, they were prone to injury in high school, and we shouldn't have recruited them, or they aren't conditioned properly. Here's the thing. Every player we have that's been down a while saw many more minutes, and many more games in their high school / AAU / travel careers then they would ever see now. Some of these incoming ladies, and last years newbies, were playing 100+ games a year for 5 and 6 years. That's a ton of wear and tear on a body, that really isn't built for the sport. I for one, am a huge believer in, if you want to have a first class program, you have to have first class conditioning to go along with it. I have no idea of their conditioning program, but the injuries would suggest it needs looked into. Outside of Scott which was a freak situation, it seems that some of the other injuries have lingured far too long. Either there's improvement, or their isn't. You hate to come off as synical, but, with the amount of time, effort, and money these ladies have recieved, and the first class edjucation they are getting in exchange for some contribution to the basketball program, if they aren't able to go, and if it's doubtful they will get to the point of being able to compete at this level, we need to look at other options, and free up some s'ships as C3 put it, in order to compete as a team in the HL. Adam's has put in her time and certainly derserves her place, so my coments are more directed towards those that haven't made a name for themselves with this program. At some point you have to such it up and work harder towards realigning with the program, or look to move on and free up some room for others to come in and help. I like all of these young ladies, hurt or not, but at some point realism has to set in. Timmerman has sucked it up and is out there contributing and playing hurt. Carr, even after watching one Freshman leave, and the other go down for the season, is herself playing hurt, and apparently will till seasons end, and contributing well. We need a wake up call, and soon.

setshot

One of my New Year's wishes is that Keith will become a free man at the end of the season.

Crusader03

Quote from: setshot on January 01, 2012, 12:11:50 PM
One of my New Year's wishes is that Keith will become a free man at the end of the season.

Why don't you elaborate setshot? 

IndyValpo

Without having any inside info, this is my understanding of the status right now;
Adams - probable redshirt - injury unknown - apparantly is a long way from being healthy, has been injured all season
Calloway - probable redshirt - back injury- apparantly is a long way from being healthy, has been injured all season
Lang - Back, knee, etc. - not likely to see this season -we heard this preseason
Horton - concusion - week to week
Timmerman - shin issues - limited playing time - was not (or barely) playing early in the season
Carr - hip issues but playing through them
Scott - ACL - done for the season - Game 10
Ladd - gone - game 6

Given all this plus Richardson ruled ineligible and Jansone out for the first 11, why did we not hit the campus for a walk on or two.  Last year we had a legit walk on (of course she played a total of 3 minutes in a 24 loss season). Seems like we could see this coming and could actually hand out a few minutes to them this year.  I know it is harder to find female walk ons but I wonder if we even tried.

jack

My guess is, it wasn't tried. Just picking up some athletes for a practice squad would have been beneficial. As you state, it's much harder to find a female walk on then a male. It's a mindset more then anything. Male athletes go to college to play sports. Female athletes play sports, to go to college. Meaning, a male athlete would jump at the chance of walking on to a program and making a team. You see it a lot. Female athletes, play sports prior to college in hopes of getting some help financially to continue to play while getting an edjucation. By far the smarter approach. Unfortunately, most women athletes on campus are there for a specific sport, and I can't be certain of the arrangement, but I don't think they'd be allowed to participate in another sport they weren't there on scholarship for, unless it was worked out prior to signing. I could be wrong, but that was the way it used to be. If it is allowable, I'd be going after some of the volleyball and track women to help out at practices. I'm sure there'd have to be some compensation package afforded to them for doing so.

vu72

There has historically been male students who provide the gals with practice opponents.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: jack on January 02, 2012, 09:31:23 PMFemale athletes, play sports prior to college in hopes of getting some help financially to continue to play while getting an edjucation.

Maybe if you had spent more time on your "education" you would have learned how to spell that word.  :)

jack

Quote from: bbtds on January 03, 2012, 08:37:19 AM
Quote from: jack on January 02, 2012, 09:31:23 PMFemale athletes, play sports prior to college in hopes of getting some help financially to continue to play while getting an edjucation.

Maybe if you had spent more time on your "education" you would have learned how to spell that word.  :)

If correcting spelling errors is all you have to contribute to this thread, I'd move along - nothing to see here.

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on January 03, 2012, 09:04:13 AM
Quote from: bbtds on January 03, 2012, 08:37:19 AM

If correcting spelling errors is all you have to contribute to this thread, I'd move along - nothing to see here.

This is par for the course, believe me jack.

valporun

When I was there from 1999-2004, there were a couple walk-ons that were members of the track team who played for the women's basketball team. It was acceptable then because the girls were in shape coming from basketball, so it didn't hurt what they were able to do on the track. It used to be the norm for college athletes to play multiple sports. You look at many professionals who played multiple sports throughout the 1900s, Jackie Robinson was football, basketball, baseball, and track at UCLA, Julius Peppers was basketball and football at North Carolina, Dave Winfield was a basketball and baseball player at Minnesota, and various others. I'm sure there are some WNBA and women's soccer players who ran track or played softball to stay in shape or work on some other parts of their fitness to stay in shape for the following soccer season. Once the opinion became that an athlete could only focus on ONE sport to make it professionally, it became a bigger decision for the athlete what sport to give up, rather than what sport(s) to play, and we're seeing this trickle down to high school. High school sports are supposed to be a motivator to keep the grades up to get a diploma, and go on to a good college/university, not be the training ground to make "adult" decisions that affect what you do in your future.

KL31NY

Quote from: valporun on January 03, 2012, 01:43:52 PM
When I was there from 1999-2004, there were a couple walk-ons that were members of the track team who played for the women's basketball team. It was acceptable then because the girls were in shape coming from basketball, so it didn't hurt what they were able to do on the track. It used to be the norm for college athletes to play multiple sports. You look at many professionals who played multiple sports throughout the 1900s, Jackie Robinson was football, basketball, baseball, and track at UCLA, Julius Peppers was basketball and football at North Carolina, Dave Winfield was a basketball and baseball player at Minnesota, and various others. I'm sure there are some WNBA and women's soccer players who ran track or played softball to stay in shape or work on some other parts of their fitness to stay in shape for the following soccer season. Once the opinion became that an athlete could only focus on ONE sport to make it professionally, it became a bigger decision for the athlete what sport to give up, rather than what sport(s) to play, and we're seeing this trickle down to high school. High school sports are supposed to be a motivator to keep the grades up to get a diploma, and go on to a good college/university, not be the training ground to make "adult" decisions that affect what you do in your future.

One of the best posts I've ever read here. Specialization is incredibly rampant in amateur sports now. In the same way that a lot of teachers and professors feel that their classes are the most important thing on the planet, some coaches feel the same and help eliminate multi-sport stars by trying to get them to focus on only one game. Between fear of injury, the need to be good enough to succeed on a professional level some day, and other factors, there's less and less people heading to college to play on multiple teams, and even less people in enough shape to add another sport to their repertoire if they were are ever interested or approached to do so.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

milanmiracle

Quote from: KL31NY on January 03, 2012, 02:49:46 PM
Quote from: valporun on January 03, 2012, 01:43:52 PM

One of the best posts I've ever read here. Specialization is incredibly rampant in amateur sports now. In the same way that a lot of teachers and professors feel that their classes are the most important thing on the planet, some coaches feel the same and help eliminate multi-sport stars by trying to get them to focus on only one game. Between fear of injury, the need to be good enough to succeed on a professional level some day, and other factors, there's less and less people heading to college to play on multiple teams, and even less people in enough shape to add another sport to their repertoire if they were are ever interested or approached to do so.

I don't have any hard evidence of this, but what I find interesting is many of your outstanding professionals played multiple sports in high school and some in college. Few people realize that Bryce was an accomplished tennis player in HS. It didn't seem to hurt his NBA chances. I think playing different sports allows you to improve your athletic ability overall, which can translate to success in your specialized sport later. Please see the NFL and tight ends for reference. There are a whole lot of college basketball players in that position right now.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado