• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/5 WBB vs. Cleveland State

Started by Crusader03, January 03, 2012, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

The Lady Vikings roll up to the ARC on Thursday looking to bounce back from a thrashing at the hands of Youngstown State.  We're coming off a beat down of our own.  Who has the upper hand?  Neither team has much to play for, so it really comes down to mental toughness.  I think playing with 6-7 players all season actually favors the Lady Crusaders tonight in this area, as they know what it means to battle.  Hopefully, this is a step towards respectability and the slow climb back to the middle of the conference.  I would love to see us get to the middle of the pack and at least be competitive in the HL tournament.  I'm predicting a 57-54 win tonight.  GO VU!

milanmiracle

Didn't realize the L'ders were down to dressing 6. Yikes
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on January 03, 2012, 04:22:29 PM
We played 7 at Detroit.  Is someone else out?

Sorry, I misspoke...thinking of earlier in the season when only 6 were getting minutes.

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 03, 2012, 10:11:15 PM

Sorry, I misspoke...thinking of earlier in the season when only 6 were getting minutes.

Was 6 prior to Jansone adding to the mix.
Keys to Cleveland State:
Defense:
As with every game, We need to lock up their scorer. This one will be a test. Blue averages 14ppg and is a 60% shooter. that means she's putting up 10 or 11 shots a contest. We need to reduce that. On the plus side, as a team, they shoot 39% from the floor. We need to force the ball into other's hands.
We must keep Winton off of the boards. Second chance pts. will kill us in this contest.
We need to pack it inside, providing frontside help when needed, and keep the slashers out -  we have to have a presence in the passing lanes - Richards could have a field day on picks if we can disrupt their flow. forcing them to shoot deep will be to our advantage - they shoot around 29% from beyond the arc.
Offense:
We've done a good job pushing the ball up the floor all season - we tend to stall out though once we arrive - we're missing some scoring opportunities by not pushing through to the hoop - mix it up a bit. I believe the key here will be to get up a lot of shots. Our offense gets vanilla sometimes and we seem to be just wandering around hoping to find someone opened. Forcing the opponent to play D deep into the shot clock can work when you consistently work into a good look. It hasn't been happening as of late. We work the clock down only to end up forcing something and coming up empty. Watching the flow on offense, we seem to have much better looks we pass up in the first half of the clock then the 2nd half. Need to look to skip pass across court if they lock down inside as Detriot did. We have quite a few open looks like this that we passed up. Just because a play is called shouldn't mean that we can't "audible" out of it and take what's there.
Turnovers! Can't have them tomorrow night. we need to be 12 or under for the game.
Shooters need to be shooting! Timmerman has had some good looks and hit some big shots this season. We need her in and shooting. Richards needs to be looking to score as well. Carr seems to be finding her comfort zone from outside averaging 2 3's a contest. She needs to look to shoot more. If our shooters can get something going from 12ft out, we can create some space for our bigs to get busy on the inside.
I really think this one will come down to how many shots we can get up, and not so much the % we're shooting. It's a tall order to step up the tempo on offense with such a short bench, but if we can maintain a flow, and take our T.O.s at strategic times, we could see some very possitive results.
Go Crusaders, let's get a streak of our own going! 

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on January 04, 2012, 03:54:18 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on January 03, 2012, 10:11:15 PM

Was 6 prior to Jansone adding to the mix.
Keys to Cleveland State:
Defense:
As with every game, We need to lock up their scorer. This one will be a test. Blue averages 14ppg and is a 60% shooter. that means she's putting up 10 or 11 shots a contest. We need to reduce that. On the plus side, as a team, they shoot 39% from the floor. We need to force the ball into other's hands.
We must keep Winton off of the boards. Second chance pts. will kill us in this contest.
We need to pack it inside, providing frontside help when needed, and keep the slashers out -  we have to have a presence in the passing lanes - Richards could have a field day on picks if we can disrupt their flow. forcing them to shoot deep will be to our advantage - they shoot around 29% from beyond the arc.
Offense:
We've done a good job pushing the ball up the floor all season - we tend to stall out though once we arrive - we're missing some scoring opportunities by not pushing through to the hoop - mix it up a bit. I believe the key here will be to get up a lot of shots. Our offense gets vanilla sometimes and we seem to be just wandering around hoping to find someone opened. Forcing the opponent to play D deep into the shot clock can work when you consistently work into a good look. It hasn't been happening as of late. We work the clock down only to end up forcing something and coming up empty. Watching the flow on offense, we seem to have much better looks we pass up in the first half of the clock then the 2nd half. Need to look to skip pass across court if they lock down inside as Detriot did. We have quite a few open looks like this that we passed up. Just because a play is called shouldn't mean that we can't "audible" out of it and take what's there.
Turnovers! Can't have them tomorrow night. we need to be 12 or under for the game.
Shooters need to be shooting! Timmerman has had some good looks and hit some big shots this season. We need her in and shooting. Richards needs to be looking to score as well. Carr seems to be finding her comfort zone from outside averaging 2 3's a contest. She needs to look to shoot more. If our shooters can get something going from 12ft out, we can create some space for our bigs to get busy on the inside.
I really think this one will come down to how many shots we can get up, and not so much the % we're shooting. It's a tall order to step up the tempo on offense with such a short bench, but if we can maintain a flow, and take our T.O.s at strategic times, we could see some very possitive results.
Go Crusaders, let's get a streak of our own going!

More sound analysis from, jack.  Thanks for the hard work.

Crusader03

Just a heads up...I have modified my original post in this thread.  I have been nudged this direction by the powers that be.  It may seem rather Orwellian, but it's not my society.  Enjoy the game tonight, everyone!

Crusader03

VU trails 24-20 at the half...when you shoot 0-12 from beyond the arc, it's going to be very difficult to score. We also didn't shoot a single free throw.  Gerardot has played extremely well with 10 pts at the break.  Let's go ladies...you can win this one!

valporun

Well, it was a close game, but the ladies weren't able to pull it out. It was 49-45 Cleveland State. It looked very evenly matched, but due to our lack of bench, we were toast trying to keep up, and making sure we were mentally focused on what was happening on the court tonight.

jack

This was a winnable game tonight WITH Blue playing.....and she wasn't. Not sure where you go from here. 0 of 100 from 3. who'd of thunk it. That was your difference of the game. That and we only got to the line for 7 or 8 shots. You just don't see many games where everyone is that cold from beyond the arc. I thought we did a nice job defensively tonight, but if you can't get the rock to drop, it really doesn't matter. We just don't have the offensive weapons to compete right now. We played hard, and never gave up. Both bright spots to another disapointing loss. Can't blame the coaches for this one. We did exactly what we needed to do to win. Time to spend an entire practice getting back to the basics, and doing nothing but shooting jump shots. 4 - 10. What to do?

valporun

It was definitely a winnable game. I don't know that being so cold from beyond the arc was as difficult as just not having enough gas when we needed it. I hope we can get some of the gas we were missing tonight back for Saturday's game with Youngstown St. A lot of the shots we put up, we just put too much, or not enough, juice into those shots, so they bounced off the rim or backboard, and that's been something that we just have to keep shooting and hoping that finally one of those shots will fall. I don't care if the shot is from 10 feet or behind the arc, but we need to get something to fall by continuing to shoot, and get in position to get the offensive boards. I wish we had some speed to rely on the fastbreak a lot this season, but we just don't have the ponies to help our tired horses catch a breath.

jack

At the end of the day, you can't expect to compete in D1 in any league dressing 7 all season. The second half tonight only saw 6. Again, I'm curious to see if anyone else in the country is saddled with this scenario. Sure, this was a winnable contest, but if we can't get a W against CS, what our or expectations for the remaining of the season. At this point it would be silly trying to bring back any of the players that are able to red shirt. What would be the point? By the time they get back to game condition, and speed, the season wil be over. We might as well wait and see if any can possibly help out next season. Right now, we're asking far too much from the players we are flooring. You have to feel for them. Is Jansone hurt? I'm surprised we saw nothing from her in the second half. Horton???? someone needs to explain this one to me. I heard a concusion many weeks ago. Are these season ending injuries now day? I truly don't know. What I do know is, an inferior team beat us tonight for 2 reasons - We couldn't hit a lick on offense, and they threw fresh players at us all game long. Our kids are leaving it all out on the floor. All 6 of them. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere soon??? Thanks for the effort ladies! I feel for you, as the possition you're in is bleak at best.

valporun

Horton's concussion must be about the same as the one that keeps Sidney Crosby out of the Pittsburgh Penguins lineup, or has taken several football players out of the game. With today's concerns and tests being done on what causes concussions, I'm guessing the team doctors are monitoring it always, and won't clear her until she doesn't feel any symptoms. Jansone might just be pacing her into the college game, which seems to late at this point, but that 11-game suspension didn't help at all. We'll just have to see what this team does the rest of January.

jack

Quote from: valporun on January 06, 2012, 12:49:39 AM
Horton's concussion must be about the same as the one that keeps Sidney Crosby out of the Pittsburgh Penguins lineup, or has taken several football players out of the game. With today's concerns and tests being done on what causes concussions, I'm guessing the team doctors are monitoring it always, and won't clear her until she doesn't feel any symptoms. Jansone might just be pacing her into the college game, which seems to late at this point, but that 11-game suspension didn't help at all. We'll just have to see what this team does the rest of January.

I understand the concern with concussions, and they are valid. But this one has lingered on far too long for an athlete playing, for all practical purposes, a non-contact sport. It is very rare for a basketball player to sustain a blow to the head significant enough to cause this kind of trauma. In the past, it has happened, but it's typically a 2 to 3 week down time. I've seen football players come back from these in shorter time. I have to believe there's more to this situation. As for Jansone, She's been back and in the game long enough to contribute more then 6 minutes. She's an athlete, she's been practicing, and since it's not an injury issue, she had better been working hard to stay in shape. We are asking our players that can play to give us all they have. And they have, without hesitation. 2 of them are still battling injuries. I just don't get it. If the plan is to limp through the rest of the season with 6, sometimes 7 players, my thought is, we haven't seen the end to the injuries, and we'll be lucky to make it to the end.

IndyValpo

Unless Jansone is hurt there is simply no way she should only play 6 minutes.  Someone on this board told us that she would be playing in the Big 10 if she didn't have that 11 game eligibility issue.  If she is healthy and not playing 15-20 minutes something is wrong.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on January 06, 2012, 06:41:23 AM

I understand the concern with concussions, and they are valid. But this one has lingered on far too long for an athlete playing, for all practical purposes, a non-contact sport. It is very rare for a basketball player to sustain a blow to the head significant enough to cause this kind of trauma. In the past, it has happened, but it's typically a 2 to 3 week down time. I've seen football players come back from these in shorter time. I have to believe there's more to this situation. As for Jansone, She's been back and in the game long enough to contribute more then 6 minutes. She's an athlete, she's been practicing, and since it's not an injury issue, she had better been working hard to stay in shape. We are asking our players that can play to give us all they have. And they have, without hesitation. 2 of them are still battling injuries. I just don't get it. If the plan is to limp through the rest of the season with 6, sometimes 7 players, my thought is, we haven't seen the end to the injuries, and we'll be lucky to make it to the end.
Horton has only played 5 games so she could redshirt but to be honest if she can play this is her time.  Freeman barely played her last year and next year when we are healthy she will go back to the end of the bench. If Horton is to ever make a contribution this year seems to be the one. This entire season seems to very secretive about what is truely going on so who knows. 

As far as numbers, I renew my call to find walkons.  Did last years walk on (another Lange) return to school?

valporun

The Lange that you reference is one of the injured players. She, according to the list of injuries in the thread from the Detroit game has back, knee, and shin problems, and may not see the court this season. Of course, in Freeman's system, most walk-ons are glorified scout teamers, they really never get much time on the floor regardless of the need for them.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valporun on January 06, 2012, 08:40:17 AM
The Lange that you reference is one of the injured players. She, according to the list of injuries in the thread from the Detroit game has back, knee, and shin problems, and may not see the court this season. Of course, in Freeman's system, most walk-ons are glorified scout teamers, they really never get much time on the floor regardless of the need for them.

We had another Lang last year see below. She played all of three minutes. Per her bio, she was a legit walk-on. We have 7 players few of which are healthly if we are content to run these girls in the ground....so be it.

#32 - Erika Lang  2010-11 Women's Basketball
POS. F HT. 6-0 YR.
Fr. HOMETOWN Las Vegas, Nev. HIGH SCHOOL (PREV. SCHOOL) Arbor View

Prep: A four-year letterwinner for the Aggies ... a Second Team All-Northwest Conference selection as a sophomore and senior ... named team's Best Offensive Player as a sophomore and teams's Best Defensive Player as a junior ... team's Most Valuable Player as a senior ... set school record for points in a career ... Las Vegas Athletic Club Best School Woman Athlete in 2009-2010 ... a four-time team captain ... Academic Athlete of the Year in 2009-2010 for Arbor View High School ... played basketball for coach Leon Doss ... President of National Honor Society ... also played volleyball.

Personal: Erika is the daughter of Eugene and Celeste Lang ... born May 8, 1992 ... major is accounting.

jack

Between last season and this, we've taken it on the chin regarding what we've gotten in return for the scholarships we've extended. It's still upsetting about how we got burned on the Ladd situation. Scott's situation was a freak thing, and the odds are good she'll be back to palying next season.

I'm not sure who on here stated that if it weren't for the suspension Jansone would be playing in the big ten, but I don't see it. Nothing against her, and we really haven't seen how or when she'll contribute here, but if she was a bonefide big ten player, She wouldn't be limited to 6 minutes last night, and she'd be contributing when she was in. I haven't seen it yet. She may fill out someone's practice squad in the big 10 though. Not trying to be tarse, just realistic. I think most here have been around this game long enough to recognize talent levels. I'm hoping she really surprizes us all.

It would be nice to be a fly on the wall of one of the coaches meetings, just to see things as they do, and try to figure out what their plan is moving forward, and into the future. Right now I see a lot of scholarships tied up with players that may, or may not see the floor again as a Crusader. As someone else mentioned, there seems to be far too many unknowns and very little information on anything right now. All we know for sure is, we're trying to compete in a league, and a game, where we have 6.5 players up against 12 to 14, each and every game, and we're still just 1 more serious injury away from disaster. I am absolutely amazed that we're staying in the games we're playing. This is a very mentally tough group of ladies doing their best, and for that I applaud them. The coaches need to work a little harder at getting them some help, from somewhere.   

jhnmttws75

The walk on that was on the team from last year "walked off" and it wasn't because of playing time. She wasn't a fan of Keith from what I heard going around, which is a shame that a coach was the factor in her quitting. I was asked to eat lunch with some of the team and that girl is such a sweetheart, wouldn't harm a fly. She was passionate about the game and her teammates. She just wasn't going to put up with him....she was torn apart leaving but for her it wasn't worth putting on a jersey for him...

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on January 06, 2012, 08:48:26 AM

I'm not sure who on here stated that if it weren't for the suspension Jansone would be playing in the big ten, but I don't see it. Nothing against her, and we really haven't seen how or when she'll contribute here, but if she was a bonefide big ten player, She wouldn't be limited to 6 minutes last night, and she'd be contributing when she was in. I haven't seen it yet. She may fill out someone's practice squad in the big 10 though. Not trying to be tarse, just realistic. I think most here have been around this game long enough to recognize talent levels. I'm hoping she really surprizes us all. 

Per PGMADO

Valpo Basketball / Re: O Freeman-Haters, Where Art Thou?
« on: November 18, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
Ieva played/practiced with a pro team, never took any money, but the NCAA ruled she had to sit 11 games because of a rule that was in place several years ago. The kicker is that if Ieva were a freshman this year, she wouldn't have to sit, but she's basically being grandfathered into the rule. I'd also go so far as to say that if Ieva didn't have to miss the first 11 games of the year, a Big Ten team probably would've jumped on her.

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 06, 2012, 08:59:06 AM

Per PGMADO

Ieva played/practiced with a pro team, never took any money, but the NCAA ruled she had to sit 11 games because of a rule that was in place several years ago. The kicker is that if Ieva were a freshman this year, she wouldn't have to sit, but she's basically being grandfathered into the rule. I'd also go so far as to say that if Ieva didn't have to miss the first 11 games of the year, a Big Ten team probably would've jumped on her.

Am I missing something here? Not seeing it.

Crusader03

Quote from: jhnmttws75 on January 06, 2012, 08:57:04 AM
The walk on that was on the team from last year "walked off" and it wasn't because of playing time. She wasn't a fan of Keith from what I heard going around, which is a shame that a coach was the factor in her quitting. I was asked to eat lunch with some of the team and that girl is such a sweetheart, wouldn't harm a fly. She was passionate about the game and her teammates. She just wasn't going to put up with him....she was torn apart leaving but for her it wasn't worth putting on a jersey for him...

Sounds like the walk-on isn't the only one with a problem with Keith.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on January 06, 2012, 09:12:34 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on January 06, 2012, 08:59:06 AM

Per PGMADO

Am I missing something here? Not seeing it.
Just confirming that someone used Jansone and Big 10 together in a thread.

jack

Yeah, I was just wondering if someone else could make the comparison. ;o)