• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/5 WBB vs. Cleveland State

Started by Crusader03, January 03, 2012, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

I can believe that Coach Freeman isn't the easiest person to play basketball for. I remember many times being up on the track during track practice, and he would be screaming at one of the girls, almost up in her face/in her ear about something with the drill/play they were running. I feel to play for Coach Freeman, you have to have a variety thick skin, or use what he's doing to motivate you to meet his standards and desires for play that he wants. If we go back to 2004-2005, you could easily see the difference in players who were freshmen or sophomores that due to playing time or differences with Coach Freeman, left the program and the university.

jhnmttws75

When you look back at past seasons I always wondered why the girls who had an extra 5th year wouldn't play...it all makes sense. You have girls in the past and present who are unhappy for a reason. Ask players who have graduated from him how they liked it? Have you ever seen an alumni at the game? Here and there yes...Gick was a hell of a point guard and she had passion for a game. If she wanted too she could have pushed through it cause she's tough. But the pain wasn't worth it anymore to put up with...like the walk on. I know Gick and I know this is true. Has anyone investigated this program? They haven't had a season over 50 yet in the horizon.
In response to the game last night...the girls worked as hard as they could for having 7. But Keith is known for being out coached when the games get close. It's been like this for the past 2-3 even 4 years. I love watching the the other teams coach have so much passion for their team and the game and watch ours just sit there making faces to the assistants. An investigation is needed for this program sonnet rather than later.

valporun

jhn, part of the reason why some of the alums haven't been at games is due to their coaching at other colleges/universities or high schools, playing overseas, or have been one of "95% who go pro in something other than sports". I looked at each roster since 2004-2005, and I saw five players who were freshmen or sophomores that left the program because they just didn't want to play for Freeman. I didn't count Gick and at least one other because of injuries, but when you're averaging at least 2-3 players from your roster for one reason or another don't finish their four years, it has to say something about evaluation of the player besides stats, ability, and grades.

jack

Sadly, I think leaving a program happens far more often then it should. I have not heard of any players leaving in the past few years, just because of Freeman, or any other coach at VU. If they have, it wasn't made public to my knowledge.
i think regardless, we need to be trying to bring in some help from somewhere, if we can't count on any of our players that are out, to return. Having the men's squad to help out at practice is one thing, but having help at game time will be pivitol to how our season shakes out. Bottom line - we need more players, period. No clearer example of that then last night. Even with our horendous shooting night, we were still in this one - and ran out of steam, to a team that threw fresh legs at us all damn night.

jack

Quote from: valporun on January 06, 2012, 01:48:11 PM
jhn, part of the reason why some of the alums haven't been at games is due to their coaching at other colleges/universities or high schools, playing overseas, or have been one of "95% who go pro in something other than sports". I looked at each roster since 2004-2005, and I saw five players who were freshmen or sophomores that left the program because they just didn't want to play for Freeman. I didn't count Gick and at least one other because of injuries, but when you're averaging at least 2-3 players from your roster for one reason or another don't finish their four years, it has to say something about evaluation of the player besides stats, ability, and grades.
Ladd would be a great example of this. I think early on it was known that she was iffy, at best, and had issues with leaving home. I think we could have averted this issue prior to signing. Lack of alums at games isn't telling, in my opinion. Some folks are just to busy, and not exactly in the area anymore to get to a game or two. I think forgoing a 5th year of elgibility is a different issue for men then the women. Many of these ladies don't aspire to play beyond college, and are moving on to employment after their studies. The men are always looking for more time and exposure on the floor. 

Crusader03

Quote from: jhnmttws75 on January 06, 2012, 01:39:27 PM
When you look back at past seasons I always wondered why the girls who had an extra 5th year wouldn't play...it all makes sense. You have girls in the past and present who are unhappy for a reason. Ask players who have graduated from him how they liked it? Have you ever seen an alumni at the game? Here and there yes...Gick was a hell of a point guard and she had passion for a game. If she wanted too she could have pushed through it cause she's tough. But the pain wasn't worth it anymore to put up with...like the walk on. I know Gick and I know this is true. Has anyone investigated this program? They haven't had a season over 50 yet in the horizon.
In response to the game last night...the girls worked as hard as they could for having 7. But Keith is known for being out coached when the games get close. It's been like this for the past 2-3 even 4 years. I love watching the the other teams coach have so much passion for their team and the game and watch ours just sit there making faces to the assistants. An investigation is needed for this program sonnet rather than later.

So, how little did your daughter play?

jhnmttws75

Don't have a daughter...I'm not a father or mother on here complaining because "my daughter" doesn't get minutes. I'm just an old fart who has been following the team for many years.

IndyValpo

This excuse is probably the lamest of all time.  Let's keep her out of games until she practices more 5 on 5.  Are we to believe that this coaching staff is not resourceful enough to figure out a way to accomplish this for 2-3 weeks while the men are away.  Sad commentary on this staff.

However, I appreciate the updates on our injury situation.

I did not get the impresson we knew Jansone was going to have to sit 11 until close to the start of the season.

KL31NY

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 06, 2012, 04:17:55 PM
This excuse is probably the lamest of all time.  Let's keep her out of games until she practices more 5 on 5.  Are we to believe that this coaching staff is not resourceful enough to figure out a way to accomplish this for 2-3 weeks while the men are away.  Sad commentary on this staff.

I don't know anything about what types of individuals are allowed to practice against an NCAA varsity team, but how many of them are sticking around campus when school is out? The team managers are supposed to do team manager stuff. The coaches are supposed to coach and observe. Everyone else who is probably on campus during winter break is either an athlete already busy with another sport or a professor, staff member, and other academic or maintenance personnel. Who among them are able or would want to go full court 5-on-5 with a varsity women's basketball team? It's Break! Campus is a ghost town! It's not like the dorms are overflowing w/ people right now! The vast, vast majority of the student body has been out since the 19th and won't come back until Sunday!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

IndyValpo

Quote from: KL31NY on January 06, 2012, 05:09:56 PM

I don't know anything about what types of individuals are allowed to practice against an NCAA varsity team, but how many of them are sticking around campus when school is out? The team managers are supposed to do team manager stuff. The coaches are supposed to coach and observe. Everyone else who is probably on campus during winter break is either an athlete already busy with another sport or a professor, staff member, and other academic or maintenance personnel. Who among them are able or would want to go full court 5-on-5 with a varsity women's basketball team? It's Break! Campus is a ghost town! It's not like the dorms are overflowing w/ people right now! The vast, vast majority of the student body has been out since the 19th and won't come back until Sunday!
So you think team manager stuff is more important than someone learning the offense?  We have 4 coaches, think we could free up a couple so that one of our 7 players can learn the offense, remember Richardson is healthy as well.. We are learning the offense, you do not even have to be 5 on 5. Here is an idea put Jansone on the 1st team and run the offense.  Hell if you have to, put out some folding chairs.  We have 7 able bodies and this coaching staff decides to wait to teach her the offense.  Like I said, sad. What does it say when 4 coaches can't teach one player the offense in 3 weeks.

KL31NY

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 06, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

So you think team manager stuff is more important than someone learning the offense?  We have 4 coaches, think we could free up a couple so that one of our 7 players can learn the offense, remember Richardson is healthy as well.. We are learning the offense, you do not even have to be 5 on 5. Here is an idea put Jansone on the 1st team and run the offense.  Hell if you have to, put out some folding chairs.  We have 7 able bodies and this coaching staff decides to wait to teach her the offense.  Like I said, sad. What does it say when 4 coaches can't teach one player the offense in 3 weeks.

I thought this argument was about how to go full speed 5v5 to get in shape and get reps, not simply understand the x's and o's, but to tie it all together... I'd like to think she has learned the offense by now as long as she's been with the team, but nothing can replace full-speed workouts. That's why the lack of available scout teamers over breaks coupled w/ her leg injury early on have limited her participation and production so far.  :twocents:

PS: Haven't seen Richardson since break began. Since she can't play this season, she might have been given the chance to enjoy break at home.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

jack

Quote from: KL31NY on January 06, 2012, 06:27:13 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on January 06, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

I thought this argument was about how to go full speed 5v5 to get in shape and get reps, not simply understand the x's and o's, but to tie it all together... I'd like to think she has learned the offense by now as long as she's been with the team, but nothing can replace full-speed workouts. That's why the lack of available scout teamers over breaks coupled w/ her leg injury early on have limited her participation and production so far.  :twocents:

PS: Haven't seen Richardson since break began. Since she can't play this season, she might have been given the chance to enjoy break at home.

Jansone has been with the team, both in China, and back home practicing and learning. I have to agree, not having enough 5 on 5 time is lame, at best.
If what you suggest is the case, then we need to look at our coaching philosophy. If a player is allowed to stay away during break when they could clearly assist in getting your available team ready to compete, then we clearly have a problem. That is the most assinign thing I've heard in all my years involved in the game, at the college level. If that player doesn't choose to be there, then we've extended, yet another scholarship to someone, that doesn't deserve or warrant one. It's time to take the kid gloves off and find out who wants to earn their keep, and who doesn't. Coaches included!!!!! I truly hope that isn't the case, or I need to re-evaluate my effort to support this program. Wow.!!

KL31NY

No need to paste in the past stuff, so I'll save the space by not doing so. I admit that I don't know for sure why she isn't there, but what do you think would be a good reason for her not to be present (unless your point is that there is no good reason)? All I know for sure is that I have not personally seen her since the final practice before break. Having thought about it though, I decided to take a look at the video from last night, and she did appear to be sitting on the bench for Cleveland State.

jack

That's even worse if she's "sitting on the bench for Cleveland State"! :) You are correct, my point was there is no good reason to  not be there, unless it's a family matter.